Start by marking “Boutique Knits” as Want to Read:
Boutique Knits

Boutique Knits

Encouraging knitters to think beyond traditional patterns, this guide offers ways to construct and embellish work with smart and quirky personal touches that combine imaginative trims with hardware accents. Covering a wide variety of knitting techniques such as felting, intarsia, Fair Isle, lacework, and cables, the unique examples in this resource include buckles and bolt ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Interweave Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Boutique Knits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boutique Knits

Feb 20, 2012 Mortalform rated it liked it
Psudeo Shibori scarf: delicate and organic looking, simple to make
Best Felted collar: Love the half felted, half un felted look and the broad tongues. A hip alternative to a scarf
Side slip cloche: Unique hat with the edgeing gathered in a flapper-esque ruffle on the side
Bow Scarf: neat idea,
Half felted bag: very original. The bag’s being home-and hand-made would be very surprising to others.
Argyle lace hat: pretty with subtle argyle pattern in the texture.
Teak Bittersweet gauntlets: grown up f
Jun 18, 2013 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
Beautifully designed with photos and colorful motifs with a good collection of patterns for gift ideas although I didn't like any of the sweaters because they were cropped style and I like it long to mid-hip.

Pseudo shibori scarf
big brown bag
braided cable
Dec 11, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: colors, style
Beautiful colors, stylish patterns. My favorite is the Sideways Grande ribbed cloche-shaped hat with twisted faux cable in gray alpaca. Pseudo fawn earflap hat in lilac with gray satin ribbons. Delicate and elegant Shibori scarf in moonlight gray. Softly pleated sleeves in Earl Grey appliqued with Victorian style lace trim. Topaz never looked so good as when paired with goldenrod in Sunshine intarsia bag. Fingerless mitts in mauve with brown leather buttons evoke the colors of Venice. Saffron ho ...more
Aug 25, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Dainty sort of stuff. Nothing I want to knit.
Aug 20, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
I took this book out from the library im slowly discovering it's better to just buy them. I didn't want to return it. There are so many amazing things to knit in this book, so I just scanned them into my computer for when i have time to make them all. I'm still learning to knit so there are still things I can't make yet, I still don't know how to kit with 4 needles, but there are things that beginners can also do.
Mar 11, 2009 N. rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
These patterns are charming and make me wish I wore hats. In this book, Irwin plays with customary shape, changing the construction of common garments and adding unexpected flaps and embellishments like afterthought cables. The book includes several tips on covering buttons and applying appliques. The pattern language is overwhelmingly very clear, as are the charts.
Dec 29, 2010 Misty rated it liked it
There are some truly gorgeous patterns in this book. Some of the items I will simply never make...I don't care for the bags or belts. What I really enjoy about this book is innovative ideas and techniques. The designer presents very creative ideas that one could use in other projects, or to design your own pieces.
Nov 25, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
A few of the patterns are terrific - started to make the cloche hat. It's kinda difficult to rate knitting books, esp when one doesn't knit every one of the patterns! S
Dec 27, 2011 Cori rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
I am not as enamored with combining felted and unfelted knitting as the designer. She has some novel construction techniques, but nothing I feel inclined to try myself.
Nadine Brown
Will have check this out again. Found I did not have time to begin the hat on cover just yet.
2/10/11 Checked out Mtn View Library-interested in knitting hat on cover.
Rebekah H.
Feb 23, 2012 Rebekah H. rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Truly gorgeous patterns, but not ones you'll knit in a pinch. This is a book I'd check out of the library as needed, rather than buy.
Apr 15, 2009 Tracey rated it liked it
Adult nonfiction; knitting/needlework. Some cute things in here; I will have to come back and look at it again when I have more time.
Leslie Jem
May 13, 2015 Leslie Jem rated it liked it
Shelves: needlecrafts, library
Beautifully styled and photographed, but the only project that made me squee was the Argyle Lace Hat.
Jul 26, 2010 Dayini rated it liked it
Shelves: cpl
Many very pretty accessory patterns. Great patterns to use pricier yarns, or for gifts for ladies with a sense of style.
May 05, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
A book full of beautiful patterns for accessories and some garments. Vintage inspired with modern updates.
Feb 01, 2010 GG rated it it was amazing
Fabulous knitting book! Probably the best one I have seen so far. If you knit, it is a must have.
May 25, 2009 Joelle rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
Although the items are lovely - they are a little too edgy for me. Definitely eye candy, though. :)
Oct 16, 2009 Wendi rated it it was amazing
Mmmm, so pretty!!! I loved almost all of the patterns in this book. So gorgeous!
Jul 01, 2013 Tisha rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, own
This book has some cute patterns, nothing that blew me away.
Feb 18, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
I love every single pattern in this book. Oh my god.
Feb 04, 2010 Carolanne marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ill, knitting
Great hats!
Kathleen Brewer
Kathleen Brewer rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2016
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Kate Walker
Kate Walker rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Kim added it
Sep 29, 2016
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
RedWych rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Christine Sierakowski
Christine Sierakowski marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • French Girl Knits
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Scarf Style
  • New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences
  • Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Knitting Lingerie Style: More Than 30 Basic and Lingerie - Inspired Designs
  • Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting