Start by marking “The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless” as Want to Read:
The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless

The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Beware! Only those who are McFearlessly brave may read from the pages of these monstrous memoirs. Crack open the “creature-skin” cover—if you dare—and enter the monsterminating world of 11-year-old Minerva McFearless, her brother Max, and their mysterious coyote friend, Mr. Devilstone, as they battle the evil army of the king of all monsters—the dreaded Zarmaglorg! This on ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless

Kathryn
3.5 STARS Ah, I'm not quite sure how to review this one... I listened to the audibook and Katherine Kellegren is an excellent narrator, as ever. I even enjoyed the little musical interludes between chapters--music composed by the author himself! Truth be told, I probably would never have picked this book up off the shelf if it weren't for the audibook version, so perhaps I am not the most fair person to judge the book. In terms of the story, it's amusing and good fun but I find myself wanting to ...more
Lynn
Unless you are under 10, I would recommend reading this book as opposed to listening to it. The reader is extremely dramatic, the monster voices are way over the top - to the point where I couldn't understand a lot of it - and the author is overly fond of alliteration which gets pretty annoying at times. Not a bad story-line - about a motherless brother and sister (whose sibling rivalry borders on the sadistic) from a monster-fighting family who must set off to continue in the family tradition i ...more
Paola
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Para finalizar el Especial de Halloween, les traigo la reseña de Monstruos y otras especies de Ahmet Zappa, una novela fantástica y de terror para los lectores más jóvenes.
Narrada en primera persona por parte de una de las protagonistas, Minerva McFearless, una niña que aprenderá a ser cazadora de monstuos a la fuerza.
La novela comienza con la escena más dramática y peligrosa para luego retroceder en el tiempo para narrarnos cómo llegaron los McFearless a esa situación. A medida que la historia
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spiderwick field guide fans
Shelves: juvenile
The trouble (or beauty, depending on your perspective) of this book is that Zappa gets so gleefully caught up in the details of his monsters that everything else--a coherent plot, good character development, etc. takes a backseat. What this means is that the reader finds themselves wanting to flip forward a few pages to the next Monsternomicon "page" for the next creature profile and skip past all that stuff involving annoying people running around to no purpose. The squirrely plot relies far to ...more
Tom
Fans of the father will likely enjoy this first novel by the younger son, if they haven't gone and let themselves grow up too much.

It is delightfully graphic both textually and visually, illustrated in part with mock-up photographs of Ahmet as the father of the two children in the story, and some of Frank as their great-great-great-grandfather, as well as marginalia drawings and designs by the author and other illustrators. These are interspersed with "facsimile" pages from the "Monstranomicon"
Nikki Martinez-solano
Nicky really enjoyed reading this book. He was excited to get back into the book and begged to stay up late to continue reading. That was a first! He was upset that the book ended and how the book ended. He wants to read the second book, but I cannot find a second book. :(
Judy
A great attempt by this first time author in young adult (more middle school I think) fiction. I quite enjoyed the humorous monster descriptions and recipes for protecting yourself against them. Definitely more fun for the intended young audience than for an adult to read, although I didn't care for the two children in the book as role models. The sister was always complaining about her annoying younger brother, which isn't so far fetched, but many times she actually gets pleasure out of his pai ...more
J.Elle
It should come as no surprise when I tell you that Ahmet Zappa really likes alliteration. Case in point: the title. The theme continues through-out the book as well. This is aimed at grades 4-6 and I suspect they would enjoy it far more than me, especially if they fail to see that the Monstranomicon (a large book of everything Monster) a little too closely resembles the book of Monsters assigned by Hagrid in Harry Potter. Minerva (age 11) and her younger brother, Max, find out that their father ...more
Alissa
There are books written for children that cross that barrier and appeal to adults and children alike. This is not one of them. It is definitely written for children, especially if you are a kid that enjoys big, stinky, gross monsters, and fighting them. It's a fun adventure of a brother and sister that have to rescue their father from an evil monster. The photos in the book are great, and it also includes some detailed recipes using ingredients you can find around the house of concoctions that r ...more
out of book ideas
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. I have tried to read it many, many times but I find that it just gets a bit boring and goes on for to long.
Steph
We read this book last year and didn't like it too much. The book was hard to read with all the different words that you would have to think about or sound out before reading it. It might have been okay to read to yourself, but when reading out loud to a child that has a hard time sitting still in the first place, it was difficult. She was having a hard time visualizing the story line and visualizing the characters... In the book you had to read recipes for different monster-repelling potions an ...more
Tami
This is a mixture of styles that is vaguely unsatisfying overall. It definitely has some fun, exciting moments; however the monsters are mean & disgusting. It’s really one long monster battle: younger version Riordan’s RED PYRAMID-ish tales. Squeamish or easily frightened readers will be frightened/grossed out by descriptions. It has a loosely plotted feel to me—lots of empty space between moments that move the story forward. I don’t think the excerpts from the Monstramonicon add anything to ...more
Kelly Aley
This was a very quick read that focuses on the two McFearless children who are out to rescue their father from an evil monster. I listened to this on audiobook and the illiteration got to be a little much for me. It was like the author heard about it and then couldn't use any other literary devices. BLEH! The title demonstrates this. I also don't care for books that use the words, fart, barf, etc. I felt it to be a juvenile, predictable story that young boys might enjoy, but I did not.
Robin
We listened to the audio on our Thanksgiving trip which was amazingly done by Katherine Kellgren, with musical interludes between chapters and wonderful (and appropriately gross!) sound effects. The song at the end was fantastic.

so . . . the end seemed very ripe for a sequel . . . what happened?? were the monsters too scary? they were a bit gross for my taste, but the boys loved them. And a strong, imaginative heroine like Minerva McFearless is pretty awesome.
Angie crosby
Oct 27, 2009 Angie crosby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you like fun YA monster books
Shelves: teens, ya, horror
This was a great book. Can't wait until the next in the series comes out.

shortly after Minerva McFearless and her brother Max find out they and their ancestors before them are monsterminators, their father is kidnapped. With the help of a strange coyote they set out to find their father before it is too late.

I love the bits of the Monstrnomicon throughout the book telling about each monster and a spell to protect against it.
Alicia
I really enjoyed this fun, exciting book. It’s perfect for kids- everything from the plot to the writing. It ends on a cliffhanger but it’s not too disappointing. Would I read more by this author? Yes. Would I recommend this to others? Totally.

See the full review on my blog, Awesome Book Assessment.
Sandy
I read this sometime in 2007 I think… so I don't remember it much. I don't even know how I hear about it… What I do remember:

• It's kind of for little kids.
• There were a lot of pictures.
• It had these weird little recipes for whatever reason (it made sense at the time), and some of it was like, "Ewwww…"

But I just added it to make my shelves grow :)
Uyuki
Definitivamente un gran libro para niños.
Pero para adultos, creo que no, es de esas historias que ya quieres que se acabe porque está muy aburrida.
Y ya ni me tomé la molestia de estar adivinando finales, desconecté mi cerebro y sólo leí para acabarlo.
A lo mejor si le hubiera puesto atención lo hubiera adivinado, pero ya no tenía ganas de hacerlo.
Memmis
La trama, además de no ser nada nuevo, es muy pobre - todo se resuelve de manera demasiado fácil. Los personajes no están bien definidos, cuesta trabajo interesarse siquiera por ellos. El autor quiso compensar añadiendo mocos y vómito. Entiendo por qué les gusta a los niños, pero me molesta que no ofrezca nada más. La estrellita es por el diseño.
Auntie J
I didn't finish this one, but in fairness I think it was just my mood rather than the story. I liked the story ok, I think kids who enjoy this kind of story will enjoy it more than I was. One thing I did really like was the use of sepia-toned photos instead of illustrations, very interesting and different, especially in a fantasy story.
Marissa
If you're looking for a humorous and adventurous book then look no further! This book had the heroic battles against smelly no good badies and the funny snappy comebacks! I really hope there's going to be a sequel! :D

*SPOILER* The part where Minerva pushed Max down the stairs had my Mom and I laughing! So funny :)
Marjorie
My grandchildren really loved this! It's full of gross sounding things and disgusting monsters who slurp and snarl and make awful noises. The reader did an amazing job with the voices and Ahmet Zappa's musical interludes add to the enjoyment. I know my grandchildren would listen to it over and over!
Chloe
Jan 31, 2009 Chloe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Looks really weird and you just have to get through the whole book. even if you think you don't like it. its a book that you have to get into which really isn't hard on this book. I liked it a lot. Maybe because the main persons brother is named max and she describes in as a pain in the butt. ;-)
Hunter
this book is by far the best book i have ever read. but i have a bad feeling that the movie is going to suck compared to this wonderful sci-fi novel. it is admittingly childish and far fetched but i love all the recipes for destruction. i highly recommend reading this no matter what.
Vincy
This book was wonderful fun, if you can, I suggest you get the audio version because the reader is fabulous and Ahmet Zappa's music is hilarious. I wouldn't have expected him to be so good at writing children's material, but this was just plain fun.
Alaina
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would - mainly because the photos were so enjoyable. And I mean PHOTOS, not drawings, of the main characters and the many monsters they meet. It definitely made the story come to life!
Marcy
Who knew Ahmet Zappa could write?! I liked this more than I thought I would. It's very imaginative, the illustrations beautifully enhance the story, and the recipes are GROSS (my boys will laugh hysterically).
Terry
This book has lots of creative monsters. The drawings and photos add a lot of humor to the text. It's a quick read and should appeal to reluctant readers. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
L mostly YA Saus
Jul 18, 2008 L mostly YA Saus rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up monsters
Shelves: fantasy
Audio CD, Story sticks in your head, 4th to 7th?

good for reluctant readers, girl and younger brother tackle monsters to save dad

a bit gruesome for the younger, a bit young for the older
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What's The Name o...: MG Book About Monsters [s] 3 33 Mar 06, 2014 04:52PM
interesting 1 2 Jan 13, 2009 04:54PM
  • Heredero de las hadas (El último reino, #1)
  • The Lexicon: An Unauthorized Guide to Harry Potter Fiction and Related Materials
  • Skyggeporten
  • Notre-Dame de Paris: Tome 1
  • Het Levende Boek (De Kleine Odessa #1)
  • The Frost Child (The Navigator Trilogy, #3)
  • Historia del Rey Transparente
  • Arthur and the Minimoys
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • The Red Shoes
  • Macanudo 2 (Macanudo, #2)
  • El viajero (La Puerta Oscura, #1)
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • tactics, Volume 2
  • Cuentos macabros
  • Who's Your Daddy?
  • 涼宮ハルヒの暴走 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #5)
  • Il mio inverno a Zerolandia
Because I'm Your Dad Valora #1 Star Darlings Sage's Story The Zoo Crew Star Darlings #3