Start by marking “How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius” as Want to Read:

In this totally accessible, ingenious book, you will learn the tricks and techniques to solve bewildering problems from the greatest minds in history, including Albert Einstein. From business and parenting to becoming more creative and improving relationships, How to Think Like Einstein provides the tools to discovering breakthrough solutions to everyday challenges.
Author
Published January 15th 2000 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about How to Think Like Einstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Think Like Einstein

Nathan
Oct 09, 2007 Nathan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: non-creative types
Ugh. This book promotes the throw a bunch of stuff in a pot, shake, then throw it at the wall and see what sticks, then repeat method of "creativity." The flaw is that it promotes thinking and thinking when true creativity comes from the stillness of the mind, not the soup of rational thought that clouds the present. The quotes are good though! Written by a sales and marketing guy, this book could be useful for people in that profession who want to break "out of the box." But don't expect to lea ...more
Dave
Dec 26, 2010 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
One of many credible books on creativity. Describes several heuristics for developing flexibility and fluency in identifying, framing and solving problems. I prefer James Adams' "Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas" But that may reflect my personal bias more than an objective view. For those who have not read much on creative problem solving Thorpe's book may be a good introduction . For those who have read other works on the subject, How to Think Like Einstein may be a competent re ...more
Wenny
Dec 23, 2012 Wenny rated it liked it
"Akal sehat adalah kumpulan prasangka yang diperoleh menjelang usia 18 tahun."
-Albert Einstein-

Berbagai macam masalah berat dapat dipecahkan berkat satu prinsip universal yang merupakan inti dari belajar berpikir jenius: Anda HARUS melanggar segala macam aturan.

Tak seorangpun kebal terhadap kemapanan aturan padahal aturan-aturan menghambat pemikiran inovatif karena tampaknya benar.

Hint:
- Giliran ekstra
- Gunakan aset lawan asal efektif terlepas dari manapun sumbernya
- Definisikan kesuksesan denga
Jim Black
I won this in a Goodreads contest. If you are looking to piss everyone around you off, lack a solid core of morals, forget your manners and ethics, then this break all the rules method might work for some. I'm more into taking the high road to get where I'm going. I can not recommend this read because IMO the journey is as important as getting to the desired destination.
Zee Monodee
Apr 21, 2016 Zee Monodee rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Wanted to like this book, and even to finish it...but couldn't, because basically, it is telling you 'think outside the box'...but what is the box and what is outside? That's what I expected this to get into, but I couldn't slog along the book to find if there was even an answer to this, as it kept harping on this 'think outside the box' idea, but this is something everyone already knows, right? How do you put it into practice: is what I wanted this book to answer.
Greg
Jan 04, 2016 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing is like a cheesy self-help book, with short declarative sentences repeatedly imploring the reader to "break the rule" or "grow a solution" by looking at problems from a different perspective. Some good quotes and generally good guidance but too repetitive and too many cliches make this hard to recommend.
Michael
Jul 28, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Overall the book had some good concepts and practices that can be applied to many life situations. I probably would need to listen again or get a hard copy of the book to really apply the problem solving techniques. On the down side, it seemed repetitive in parts and a little to self help in style.
hissi
Jun 25, 2016 hissi rated it it was ok
this is one of those books that revolve around one idea. it makes me wonder how he made a book from it. read the label and the first chapter and you've pretty much read the whole book. I can't believe I wasted three hours of my life.
Shauna
Aug 14, 2014 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I am always down for advice that might make me smarter, there is some good stuff here.
Dawn Mohl
Dec 13, 2015 Dawn Mohl rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Boring review of every other book that discusses innovation, etc. but brings Einstein's name into the mix to give it credibility.
Juan Baez
Jun 27, 2010 Juan Baez rated it really liked it
I read the Spanish version long time ago. You will not think like him after you read the book (not even close)and off course nobody would expect that... however there are some nice concepts and ideas on this book. I like the "don't discard any idea to solve a problem even-thought is crazy and unlikely" it might help others somehow to come with a good and possible one.
Richard Stephenson
Sep 28, 2011 Richard Stephenson rated it liked it
I liked it.

A fun, quick, and decently useful overview of thinking a bit more "out-of-the-box." No real major breakthroughs here, but a nice compilation (in an easily and enjoyably digestible format) of philosophies and techniques to squeeze a bit more power out of your intra-ear CPU.
Rick
Sep 05, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book. Thorpe goes through a list of ways to think differently to solve problems. Einstein truly 'thought outside the rules' or the box as they say.. This is a fun read filled with a ton of ideas to help move past sticking points in all areas of our lives.
Penelope
Jul 02, 2010 Penelope rated it really liked it
This is a very provocative book that made me think about how I think and why. I will use some of the concepts in my working life. I love the ideas of breaking the rules. I believe that you have to know the rules first before you can break them!
Eric
Aug 19, 2013 Eric rated it it was ok
The strategies for breaking "rule ruts" and better understanding how to define a problem are useful, but it really felt that a lot of the matter was not particularly groundbreaking and that at times the associations with Einstein were very forced.
Blanca
May 23, 2008 Blanca rated it really liked it
Einstein was a great and significant scientist. This book will help you find your inner genius just like the title states. A great motivation book for student struggling with science. I enjoyed reading the interesting facts about Einstein.
Carolyn Powers
Dec 12, 2009 Carolyn Powers rated it it was amazing
My colleagues say this is a dangerous book for me to read as they cannot keep up with my thought patterns as it is, but I love this do it the opposite way and see what new ideas are created approach. Good thought provoking discoveries!
Josh Haggin
Mar 19, 2010 Josh Haggin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
i learned rather a little amount. it seemed the book focused on something that could have been said in 2-3 pages and just reiterated that for a few hundred.
Fadly
Jun 21, 2007 Fadly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yang doyan ama Einstein
Lo pengen tahu isi otak bapak Fisika modern yang satu ini. Baca aja dech...

Imajinasi lebih berharga daripada pengetahuan...
Albert Einstein
Mary Beth
Apr 22, 2008 Mary Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
This book is so boring! I only made it about half-way through. It looked really interesting, but it's not... it's dull, dull, dull.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read book on creative frameworks in self development for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Zori
Jan 08, 2011 Zori rated it it was ok
Some unarguable truths, but as a whole - boring, even nagging to convince you to 'break the rules'..
Liquid Frost
Dec 28, 2008 Liquid Frost rated it it was ok
okay stuff - nothing really new. This is a book to read when you find yourself in between books.
Cicip
Feb 06, 2008 Cicip added it
Shelves: satya
funny, unexpected, to become like him we have to hardly follow the rules....bwahaha...
Missy
May 22, 2008 Missy added it
Halfway through. Great if you are stuck on a problem.
Ghada
Jul 28, 2011 Ghada rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2-re-read
one of my favorite books, want to re-read it soon
Dhattūra
Dec 20, 2008 Dhattūra rated it liked it
Good coffee table book.
Shay Sta ana
Jul 23, 2013 Shay Sta ana rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!!!
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Mridu Khullar Relph
Mridu Khullar Relph is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science
  • Karaoke Capitalism: Managing for Mankind
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Break Free from the Perfection Deception
  • Millionaire by Thirty: The Quickest Path to Early Financial Independence
  • Wondermark, Vol. 2: Clever Tricks to Stave Off Death
  • The Science of Self-Realization
  • The Conversation Manager: The Power of the Modern Consumer/The End of the Traditional Advertiser
  • How Professors Think: Inside the Curious World of Academic Judgment
  • The Accelerated Learning Handbook: A Creative Guide to Designing and Delivering Faster, More Effective Training Programs
  • Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America