Start by marking “The Faith of Scientists: In Their Own Words” as Want to Read:
The Faith of Scientists: In Their Own Words

The Faith of Scientists: In Their Own Words

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  12 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"The Faith of Scientists" is an anthology of writings by twenty-one legendary scientists, from the dawn of the Scientific Revolution to the frontiers of science today, about their faith, their views about God, and the place religion holds--or doesn't--in their lives in light of their commitment to science. This is the first book to bring together so many world-renowned fig ...more
Published August 31st 2008 by Princeton University Press (first published August 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Faith of Scientists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith of Scientists

Sally
May 27, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
These well-chosen selections from the writings, letters, and speeches of prominent natural and mathematical scientists allow the reader to explore many ways of looking at the relation of science to the spiritual. The first section covers scientists from the 16th to the 20th century: Galileo, Kepler, Bacon, Pascal, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, and Whitehead. The second section features contemporary scientists: Rachel Carson, Carl Sagan, S. J. Gould, Richard Dawkins, Jane Goodall, Steven Weinberg, Jo ...more
May 23, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
I really loved this book - I found it engaging, objective and well-balanced. I have to admit I skimmed some of the earlier scientists who could be a bit dry, but from Darwin onward I loved it. The author presents a short history of each scientist and their major contributions, then follows it with excerpts from their writings.
Would definitely add this to my collection, as you could read it many times over and spark different thoughts or conversations on a huge number of questions and topics.
Othe
Dan
Aug 09, 2010 Dan rated it really liked it
This book represents the faith views of scientists spanning the time from Francis Bacon and Galileo to Ursula Goodenough. Frankenberry largely uses excerpts from the scientists' own writing to explain their views on faith. The faith views range from Richard Dawkins, who feels that those who believe in any supernatural power are deluding themselves, to John Polkinghorne, a prize-winning physicist and ordained Episcopal priest, who believes the virgin birth and the resurrection of Jesus.

I found th
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Aug 02, 2008 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing
[If the faith of physicist and astrobiologist Paul Davies could be
characterized in a single word, it would be “hope.” His soul rebels
against the popular conception that science reveals only a bleak
and pointless universe in which humankind is an accidental and
purposeless freak. Through scientific inquiry, he is convinced, we
can glimpse a deeper meaning to physical existence than Bertrand
Russell, for example, captured in his pessimistic reflections on the
second law of thermodynamics. Musing on the
Frank Peters
Jul 02, 2011 Frank Peters rated it liked it
This was really interesting, but not always so. A few of the highlighted scientists were extremely difficult to read, but this is not the fault of the author. Any scientist who reads this will likely be irritated with the choice of scientists. As a Physicist, I certainly thought that important people were neglected while (from my perspective) irrelevant people were included.
Kitty
My daughter gave me this book for Christmas - a very thoughtful gift!
abelgo
abelgo is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jackie Daugherty
Jackie Daugherty marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Ross Douglas
Ross Douglas rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Hal Ueland
Hal Ueland marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Meara Geraty
Meara Geraty marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Dave Greene
Dave Greene marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jessica Lowery
Jessica Lowery marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Donald Justice
Donald Justice is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2013
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Daniel Gill
Daniel Gill marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Jerome
Jerome rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Patty Hess
Patty Hess marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Nelson
Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2011
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
So Hakim
So Hakim rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2011