Start by marking “Crafting Magick with Pen and Ink: Learn to Write Stories, Spells and Other Magickal Works” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"With the help of this book, your writing and magickal skills will expand and grow...You will be a true magickal writer."—Richard Webster, award-winning author of Write Your Own Magic Would you like to craft your own Book of Shadows? Write a story? Create Pagan rituals or Wiccan spells for special occasions? And ultimately infuse your writing with added beauty, style, a ...more
Published April 8th 2009 by Llewellyn Publications (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting Magick with Pen and Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting Magick with Pen and Ink

Steve Cran
"Crafting Magic" By Susan Pesznecker

A great book for someone who just about to travel on the road of the writer. Supposedly geared toward writing spells and prayers the book covers other areas such as journal writing, creative writing and journals. I was expecting more techniques on writing spells then on stories. The author begins her book by teaching the reader how to create their scared writing space. This is done by a ritual ass well as by making your own writing stole and consecrating it.
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pagans wanting to develop their writing skills
Shelves: writing, magic
This book attempts to be both a basic introductory writing text and a guide to writing as used in magic. Since it comes in at only 240 pages, this is a book of breadth more than depth. While I can think of lots of things I wish she'd had space to cover, I think she was remarkably successful given the lack of space.

There aren't a lot of books on magical writing to compare this too (the only one that leaps to mind is Write Your Own Magic, although there may be others), but you could fill a library
Karen Mead
Sep 12, 2012 Karen Mead rated it it was ok
Shelves: research
Disclaimer: I am not a Wiccan, I am doing research on witchcraft for a project (hence the research shelf.)

I didn't get what I expected with this book. From the title and the blurb I thought it would be about writing spells, but instead it's more of a general writing book that happens to be from a Wiccan perspective. Towards the end she does start to go into writing spells and rituals, but most of the book deals with basic writing instruction: how to set up your work area, how to brainstorm, etc.
Raven Seanchai
Feb 17, 2012 Raven Seanchai rated it did not like it
DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!

This book is so incredibly basic that if you've completed middle school you know all of the "mundane" writing things in it, and if you've read ANY Wicca 101 book you know the magickal stuff in it. She doesn't teach you how to write a ritual, she only mentions what needs to go in a ritual--ie circle casting, etc. She doesn't even give you examples. There are FAR better books out there than this one. For "mundane" writing, try "Plot vs Character" by Jeff Gerke, and for ritual
Alexandra Chauran
Dec 16, 2013 Alexandra Chauran rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from a friend and really enjoyed it. Though it could have been organized better, it straddled the worlds of mundane writing advice and fun magical tips and tricks. If you like reading books about witchcraft, this is a good way to get yourself to read about writing skills and techniques without dying of boredom. This isn't just for constructing rituals and spells. I would recommend this book to all my witchy author friends.
Heather Adkins
Jun 12, 2010 Heather Adkins rated it it was amazing
Much, much, much recommended for the Pagan Writer! Susan's exercises between chapters are interesting and thought provoking. Her entire outlook on writing mirrors how I've always wanted to fashion that aspect of my life. With her advice, I've taken copious notes on making my writing space magickal, my personal library special, and how to use my every day life in strengthening my writing.
Samantha  Davidson
This is a great reference book for ideas on how to get your writing juices flowing, whether it be writing stories, journal writing, or poetry. It is a great addition to my library for writing help. It's very much my style.
Susan
Jul 09, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring writers and ritualists.
Recommended to Susan by: my editor!
I'm reviewing this book for a publication.

Just a short note: I LOVED it!!!
Amethyst
Dec 01, 2010 Amethyst rated it really liked it
An excellent merging of writing 101 and magickal practice.
Andy Lawless
Dec 25, 2012 Andy Lawless rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, writing, reference
Slowly working my way through the book
Caridad
Jul 28, 2016 Caridad rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Enlightening....
Memes
Memes marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Alicia Kochis
Alicia Kochis marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Strangedoll
Strangedoll is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Zhi Wen
Zhi Wen marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Eve
Eve rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Claudia DL
Claudia DL marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Amanda Sprouse
Amanda Sprouse marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Mandi
Mandi rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Paul DiGrazia
Paul DiGrazia rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
River
River is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
Theodosia
Theodosia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015