Start by marking “Mission to Minerva (Giants, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mission to Minerva (Giants, #5)

Mission to Minerva (Giants #5)

Earth is adapting to a future of amicable coexistence with the advanced aliens from Thurien, descended from ancestors who once inhabited Minerva, a vanished planet of the Solar System. The plans of the distantly related humans on the rogue world Jevlen to eliminate their ancient Terran rivals and take over the Thurien system of worlds have been thwarted, but the mystery re
Published October 1st 2006 by Baen (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mission to Minerva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission to Minerva

Nov 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
I have been looking forward to this sequel ever since Baen editor (now publisher) Toni Weiskopf talked about it at a con a few years ago. Sadly, after the first hundred pages I came close to putting it back on the shelf, but I stuck it out and was glad I did, as the book finally got on with the “mission” about half way through.

The story picks up right where the last ‘Giants’ book left off, the Thurians are doing well and all is well with the world, that is until Hunt receives a message from hims
Aug 09, 2011 Jason rated it it was ok
Mission To Minerva is the latest in Hogan's series of Giants books so it probably wasn't the best place to start reading. The whole story of the book revolves around the humans and Gannymeans goal of developing time travel, perhaps to catch the evil Jevlenese who were seen previously in the series to be accidentally banished into the past at a very crucial stage in galactic civilization. Of course there is no time travel yet, so to make it plausible the first two thirds of the book is spent in a ...more
Mark Austin
Jun 13, 2016 Mark Austin rated it really liked it
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Lisa Liel
Okay, here's the thing. The first three books in the Giants series were fabulous. Brilliant, mind expanding, challenging, and fun. Entoverse was okay, and it was nice to see Vic Hunt and Chris Danchekker back again, but it was kind of anticlimactic. So is this one. I'd love to give it more than just 3 stars, but I can't, really.
David Leemon
May 13, 2015 David Leemon rated it it was ok
The book starts out really slow and you don't seem very much suspense for the first half. It instead reads like James Hogan is describing the world he wishes he lived in. Once the book enters the second half, it becomes a decent hard science fiction novel with a good amount of suspense.
Sean Randall
Jan 23, 2013 Sean Randall rated it liked it
A rather open-ended way to close the series down, I suppose Hogan never quite new when he would be done with it. I enjoyed it though, it answered a few questions from earlier, although without quite capturing some of the initial enjoyment of the series.
Nov 19, 2012 Tymothy rated it liked it
While still not as good as the first two in the series, it did tie up a lot of loose ends and - although the first half of the book was pretty slow - it also provided a lot more Ganymean/Thurien goodness :)
Angela Bull Radoff
Sep 01, 2014 Angela Bull Radoff rated it it was ok
Tedium cubed. I hung in there by skimming as much as I could to finish the story. There are some great ideas buried in this book, but it's often painful to get to them.
Clinton Sheppard
Jul 27, 2012 Clinton Sheppard rated it did not like it
Stopped reading at chapter 6 - it just isn't getting on with the story. I remember the earlier books in the Giants series being much more engaging than this.
Eric Osterholm
Eric Osterholm rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Matthew Plant
Matthew Plant rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2013
Trevor rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Infax rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2009
Yash rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Steve Baker
Steve Baker rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
John Williams
John Williams rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Mike Jansen
Mike Jansen rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
William F Reins
William F Reins rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Kenneth Tucker
Kenneth Tucker rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Jerilyn Franz
Jerilyn Franz rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2011
Zed rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Mhhammer rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Daniel rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2010
Woodrow Arvanitas
Woodrow Arvanitas rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Rick Morris
Rick Morris rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Thomas rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Robin Pyburn
Robin Pyburn rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Adam Eisiminger
Adam Eisiminger rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sunborn (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #2)
  • The Quantum Connection (Warp Speed, #2)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Transvergence (Heritage Universe 3-4)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • Great American Short Stories
  • Extensis Vitae (Extensis Vitae, #1)
  • Progenitor (Star Trek: Stargazer, #2)
  • American Epidemic: Origins- An Ebola Prepper Survival Tale
  • Breaking Gravity
  • Picoverse
  • Hero (Metsada Mercenary Corps, #4)
  • Galactic Empires: Eight Novels of Deep Space Adventure
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway (Heechee Saga, #6)
  • Renegade
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m
More about James P. Hogan...

Giants (5 books)
  • Inherit the Stars (Giants, #1)
  • The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2)
  • Giants' Star (Giants, #3)
  • Entoverse (Giants, #4)