Start by marking “The Moon Maid” as Want to Read:
The Moon Maid

Read Book* *Different edition

The Moon Maid (The Moon Trilogy #1)

The first manned spaceship to reach the moon discovered a world hidden from human eyes - a world of flying women, of conical cities, and of semi-human monsters who fought for power across these eerie Lunar plains.

Edgar Rice Burroughs was in top form when he wrote this novel of the first men to reach the moon, of the conflict between themselves and their alien hosts, and of
Published 1968 by Ace (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Maid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Maid

Stephen Gallup
Oct 04, 2009 Stephen Gallup rated it liked it
In reading this for the first time in over four decades, I found that I didn't remember The Moon Maid as clearly as the other Burroughs fantasies I've been returning to. However, when I encountered the name Orthis I immediately knew this was the villain. The first time through, Burroughs made me hate that guy so thoroughly that the emotion is still there on tap.

In terms of predicting the course of the 20th century, or even the course of space exploration, from his 1923 vantage point, Burroughs m
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Sep 17, 2015 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I haven't gotten around to reviewing this one yet, I see. Well, it's ERB, so you pretty much know what you're going to get in a novel of his. That is, heroics, villains, and a hot love interest that needs both kissed and rescued often, and by a hero who knows how! This one takes place inside the moon, in the future 21st Century. Yes, inside the moon. It's fast paced and exciting. It's seen by some as an allegory for the threat of communism. Perhaps, but I think it's best approached as a tale ...more
John
Nov 20, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, sci-fi
Very similar to THE PRINCESS OF MARS, although ERB's mild self-plagiarism doesn't particularly bother me in this case, in that I found THE MOON MAID to be something of an improvement. At least THE MOON MAID tries to be more scientific in terms of space travel, but of course the science is all bogus and horribly out of date. For me, though, it's the ridiculousness of it that gives the book much of its charm. At any rate, it is a fun adventure story, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who ...more
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I don't have this particular volume, from Bison, but I have the earlier release and just love it. Sheer adventure. Excellent. And fun.
the gift
this is actually all three of the moon trilogy in one volume, though previously printed serially, with some continuity, with one character reincarnated over the extensive centuries. i am trying to read at least one book of Tarzan, Mars, Moon, Venus, Lost World, Earth's Core, just to read what made burroughs so successful...

so far, all known is agreeing with received wisdom: same story, same first-person narrator, same damsel to love and be loved by (and rescue is how to meet-cute), variety of ob
Jeneé
Jul 29, 2011 Jeneé rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I love Burroughs but this book was painful to get through. It was extremely drawn out and it had an ok story but was nothing compared to John carter of mars. I'm pretty sure this book is part of a trilogy, which doesn't make much sence to me. After how complex and drawn out the moon maid was, I can't even imagine what the other books would even be about, especially since the moon maid had such a definite ending. Never the less I probably will not be reading the others.
K T
Jun 20, 2008 K T rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good and enjoyable adventure. I do prefer the Mars series though. (This takes place in the same continuity, although it isn't really related.)

A strangely complicated frame to the story, but perhaps that becomes more important in later volumes?
Bradley
A very creative story for a classic. I am happy to see the talent that created Tarzan can write an excellent sci-fi flavor tale. I actually enjoyed it. =)
Roddy Williams
Ronald
Sep 27, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing
possibly read in spring 1969
Jay Michaels
ERB's "scientific" background regarding the Moon, the void of space, and all the fiddly bits in getting to Luna are sheer fantasy. The titular character has yet to appear (similar to A Princess of Mars, in which she takes *forever* to show up.) (heavy sigh) Get to the characters, already!

2 Jan 2013.

The Moon Maid finally showed up, but it would have been nice to get to her and her interactions with Julian the protagonist *much* sooner.

Part II of III, "The Moon Men," depicts Planet Earth 2100 A.
Leila Anani
Published 11 years after a Princess of Mars this is pretty much a rehash set on the moon instead of (Barsoom) Mars. The story is remarkably similar:

Hero accidentally ends up on a barbarian world falls in with a hoard of cannibal warriors (here No-Vans - basically centaurs, instead of Tharns but similar situation) he meets and falls for a captured princess they escape, go back to the princess' people in the mid of civil war, he has to fight a rival intent on marrying her and claiming the throne.
Scott
Nov 29, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
They just don't make covers like that any more... it's really a shame. It's a wonder I finished this book so quickly, or even at all, considering how many times I flipped it over to stare at the cover art again. (On a side note, why do artists keep portraying the Va-Gas as centaur-like? That's not how they are described in the story.)

Anyway, this is the story of a man named Julian and his journey to make first direct contact with the civilization on Mars, with which humanity has been communicati
David Merrill
Aug 18, 2012 David Merrill rated it really liked it
All right, so Edgar Rice Burroughs is definitely a guilty pleasure. These days any science fiction of Burroughs could easily fit the sub-genre Steam Punk. But this is the real deal. I liked The Moon Maid partially because of its peripheral connection to the John Carter books. In this world John Carter went to Mars decades before. Now a new invention allows Earth to communicate with Mars and Helium. The rocket intended to fly to Mars that crash lands on the moon is called The Barsoom. Our protago ...more
Norman Cook
Dec 06, 2015 Norman Cook rated it liked it
Shelves: read-twice, e-book
This is not one of Burroughs' strongest books, but it still provides some interesting action. The overall plot is very similar to A Princess of Mars in that an Earth male travels to an alien planet, falls in love with a beautiful female native, and fights an oppressive government. At least here Burroughs tries to make the journey a bit more scientific, using a space ship instead of teleportation. It also borrows the idea of a hollow world that Burroughs used in the Pelucidar series (even Burroug ...more
Tomas
Aug 04, 2013 Tomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Burroughs is most famous for his Tarzan books; and most loved among science fiction fans for his Mars books. The Moon Maid I had not heard of before.

It belongs with the Mars books in terms of explicitly sharing the same setting as the Mars books and in terms of aging well. While the story begins and ends on Earth, he is writing about an Earth of the future, which sweeps most of the dated material under the rug.

The Moon Maid in and of itself is an adventure-romp in a very similar vein as A Prince
Jim
Oct 26, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like ERB's Moon stories ( they make up a trilogy ), although they are certainly not as well-known as his Tarzan or John Carter series. In The Moon Maid, Julian is the commander of a spaceship that blasts off for Mars, or Barsoom, after contact is made with the famous Virginian John Carter on the Red Planet. Unfortunately, the craft goes astray and the Earthmen make a landing, not on the moon, but inside it. In the lunar interior, they discover weird creatures and an alien civilization, and, of ...more
Michael Watson
Nov 12, 2015 Michael Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in an antique store and immediately wanted to read it. I like reading old science fiction, constantly amazed at the writers and their projections into the future. This book was published in 1926 and there is a definite difference in writing style compared to something written today. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and recommend it. Who in that time period (or this one) wouldn't want to read about a trip to Mars (which is about to happen) and Moon men? This story takes pla ...more
Randy
Jan 13, 2015 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This printing was by Bottom of the Hill Publishing, and had many errors, making it hard to read. The story was OK, but not great. Having read several of the Martian Chronicles, with John Carter, I expected much better. This was the first of a trilogy, and I do not plan to read the next two. If you are just getting into Burroughs, skip this and read the Martian series.
Kat
Aug 01, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pulp-classics
3.5

So Edgar Rice Burroughs, he basically has one plot, and how much you enjoy his works depends on how much you like that one plot, and how well you think it's executed in any particular novel. The Moon Maid has a slow start, but an intriguing one, and once it gets going it's a pretty good ride.
Gary
Jan 30, 2015 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, when I was an early teen, I read almost all of the ERB books, the Moon series, Tarzan, Pelucidar, Venus, and more. They were great fun, taught me a lot, but I have moved on to more complex literature. I need more than these books now, to grow and learn. Not that I could ever exhaust the ERB books, but I simply need something different and, in my opinion, more.
Jacque Holst
Mar 24, 2016 Jacque Holst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are old friends, they never disappoint.

I have read Edgar Rice Burroughs books all my life, starting when I was in grade school. He was one of several authors that fed my love of books from the age of six. I still return to his books periodically as old friends. I have his collection in hard cover.
Thomas
julian along with 4 other fellows has been selected to a mission to barsoom or mars by US gov in future.l well, they are not going to reach mars. instead they are going to land on moon becuz of one of his subordinates or simply his enemy.
Paqratpapa
Oct 20, 2009 Paqratpapa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. In keeping with ERB's Mars series. Particularly despicable villain. This is book 1 of 3 books. The 2nd book is Moon Men. The 3rd book is The Red Hawk. The time line of the stories is a bit vague and hard to follow. Don't worry about it though, just enjoy a "ripping yarn" !
Yosh Waters
Feb 15, 2013 Yosh Waters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The first ERB book I read, and a pretty enjoyable romp provided you know what you're getting into. Burroughs' work is nowhere near hard SF and as long as you can just accept the absurd ideas as the world of the story, the adventure itself isn't bad. Definitely a male heroic fantasy though.
Manderveen
Dec 09, 2010 Manderveen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, hundred-year-old sci-fi! I have an original copy of it, 85 years old, and I'm loving it so far. The quality of writing is better that modern books, of course, but it's not at all difficult to follow. Highly recommended!
Jeff J.
Aug 03, 2014 Jeff J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lesser known novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. While it repeats his theme of a stranger in a strange land, the writer's talent at world-building is astonishing and makes this a worthwhile read. Looking forward to starting the sequel.
Rick Davis
Jul 14, 2010 Rick Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
I read this way back in middle school and remember loving it to no end. I'm afraid to ever read it again lest I realize that it is poorly written shlock and ruin the golden memories that the book holds for me. Therefore, I'll just give it four stars and move on.
Jim
Oct 11, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jim-s
This is clearly a series of books for the SF fan. Invasion from the Moon that last for centuries. I was thrilled by them as a teenager. I loved them again a few years ago. I really have enjoyed Edgar Rice Burroughs writings all of my life.
Heather
Antique science fiction does not travel well.
  • Almuric
  • Jandar Of Callisto
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1)
  • Rebel Moon
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Fire Time
  • Island of the Mighty
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • The Hounds of Skaith (The Book of Skaith, #2)
  • The Dragon Masters [and The Last Castle]
  • Aliens: Berserker
  • Limbo
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • A Jungle of Stars
  • Those Who Watch
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

The Moon Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Moon Men (Moon Trilogy #2)
  • The Red Hawk (Moon Trilogy #3)