Before Elvis There Was Nothing

Before Elvis There Was Nothing

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  4 reviews
“A wonderful mixture of insecurity and insanity. Every line of Laurie Foos’ new novel is suffused with intelligence, wit and daring. Exhilarating!”—Fay Weldon

A fabulist for the twenty-first century, Laurie Foos is back with a whip-smart, refreshingly contemporary take on the nature of beauty, the importance of appearance and the all-too-human cravings for friendship, spiri...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Coffee House Press (first published 2005)

Shaniqua Lizardo
This is a mighty strange little thing. I am tempted to inquire about the actual fuck, but I think there was a lesson to be learned somewhere in all of this. I guess I was too caught up in the holiday spirit to pay attention to it. Also, my knowledge of Elvis starts and ends with the references made in Lilo and Stitch, so there's that.
Annelise
Two sisters named after famous dead sisters. Their Elvis-obsessed parents abandoned them 18 years ago. Lena's agoraphobic and house-bound. Cass is a afraid of ham sandwiches and wishes she were Jewish. She's also a real looker--until one day she grows a horn in the middle of her forehead.
Jonna Doughty
Such an odd story that I found it hard to give up, although I wasn't quite satisfied at any point. Tell me, what did Elvis, parental desertion, alopecia, and the growth of a rhino horn have in common?
Bob Lopez
This was a pretty ho-hum book. I like the idea of it, but the execution I found quite lacking, and the Elvis angle...well, blah.
Elizabeth
A very quick read & a good example of magic realism. I liked it.
Daniel
Daniel added it
Apr 27, 2014
Longbeachmsgirl
Longbeachmsgirl marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Sep 03, 2013
Amy Lamont
Amy Lamont marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Elleyp
Elleyp added it
May 11, 2013
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Taylor Nuñez
Taylor Nuñez marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2012
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2010
Mike Noyes
Mike Noyes marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2010
Ex Utero Portrait of the Walrus by a Young Artist Bingo Under the Crucifix Twinship: A Novel by the Author of Ex Utero The Giant Baby