Start by marking “Murder Down Under” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Murder Down Under

Arthur W. Upfield

Murder Down Under (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Bony is the sort of detective who enjoys nothing better on a holiday than a little informal investigation. When he agrees to help a colleague in the matter of the disappearance of George Loftus, a farmer whose car was found wrecked near the world's longest fence in the wheat country of Australia, he cannot immediately find evidence of the murder he suspects.
Published March 1st 1999 by Amereon Limited (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Down Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Down Under

Kirsty Darbyshire
This is the first Upfield mystery I've read and I found it surprisingly readable. The story takes place in 1931 and I always expect to have to climb over language hurdles before I get into the swing of old books. This book was an easy read from the beginning and I enjoyed the simple style of the writing.

It wasn't explained how Inspector Napolean Bonaparte came by his moniker but I was pleased to find that he prefers to go by "Bony". I get the impression that writing a series featuring a half cas

Stefani Akins
What brought Arthur Upfield to my attention, I can't even remember, but having just finished Murder Down Under, I'm glad that whatever it was did. Arthur W. Upfied was born in Great Britain but moved to Australia at the age of 20 where luckily, his curiosity about his new home heavily influenced the series of crime fiction books he was about to write. Murder Down Under was first released in 1937, giving the reader thus a fascinating look into life in rural Western Australia during the Great Depr ...more
Lucy
"Into this hall from the town and the outlying farms had come good-looking women and strong, well-set-up men, an A-1 standard of physique rarely seen in the older countries and the Australian cities. From the farm districts and from the vast bushlands beyond had emerged in 1914 that Australian army whose physical perfection had aroused the admiration of Europe....At the door people separated as though governed by established convention, women occupying the long forms set against one wall and the ...more
Jan C
I picked this up years ago at a used book sale and just had real trouble getting around to reading it. However, once I did, I had trouble putting it down. I took me about 5 days, just reading it on the commute. I kept missing my stop, too.

I believe I will be looking for the others in this series.

Napoleon "Bony" Bonaparte is half-caste (half aboriginal and half white) and an Inspector for the Queensland police. He's on vacation when his young acquaintance, John Muir, asks for his help regarding a
Zoë
Upfield is a master at detective novels! And what a likeable, capable character he has in Napoleon Bonepart, "Bony"! He allows the plot to unfold through the actions, lives, relationships and conversations of the characters all the while incorporating Australian First People's culture and ideas. Thoroughly delightful despite the early 20th century prejudice against women and aboriginal people, which the editor warns is not the belief of the publisher, but prevalent at the time of the writing.
John
This is a marvelously atmospheric tale of life in rural Australia is the 1930's. There are two separate but intertwined mysteries for Bony to solve in his inimitable style.

Farmer George Loftus has gone missing. Is he dead or has he done a bunk? Another farmer, Mr Jelly, periodically disappears also but always comes back a few days later refusing to tell anyone where he has been.

Despite his daft name Napoleon Bonaparte, is a great character and greatly underrated in my opinion. The way Upfield de
Liz Henry
This has been my favorite "Bony" mystery so far.

Still incredibly unbelievably racist but complicated and interesting, just be warned you may not be able to stomach it when Bony starts pondering his own potential reversion to a "savage state", which he usually ponders when he faces possible failure -- ie if he doesn't solve a case then he will lose everything about his middle class family life, university education, etc. and have to go live in the bush. So, that is an interesting conflict but the
Elizabeth (Alaska)
In spite of awarding only three stars, I enjoyed this book. The setting is Australia of the early 1930s. The detective, Napoleon Bonaparte, is a "half-caste". That he is well-educated and well-spoken is apparently quite unusual. With that, we get a glimpse of the racism that was prevalent at the time, but also that the settlers are more tolerant than we might expect.

This was written about the time of some of the Agatha Christie's I've read recently. I couldn't help but make a comparison. Bony,
Nancy Oakes
Also published as Murder Down Under; #4 in the Napoleon Bonaparte series set in the Australian outback.

I can honestly highly recommend Mr. Jelly's Business to anyone who a)enjoys a good mystery or b) enjoys reading books set in Australia. As I've noted in previous reviews, you do have to be careful not to judge the book by today's standards, especially when it comes to attitude. Don't forget that this was not originally written in 1982, but many decades earlier.

Brief synopsis:

One night, Mr. Lof
Nancy H
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Arthur Upfield's books and especially his Australian detective, Napoleon Bonaparte, known in his stories as Bony. Since I am a big fan of multicultural as well as historical mysteries, several years ago my sister-in-law introduced me to this series, which is set in 1930's Australia. Of half-French, half-aboriginal ancestry, Bony solves his cases using keen intelligence coupled with his innate tracking and other abilities. These books are simply a delight, and i ...more
Terry
While the "who" & "why" were a little too easy, everything else about this book was intriguing--the unusual "how"; the original detective and the issues of race that Upfield broaches; the detailed prose, especially when the setting is described in beautiful and minute detail; and the plotting. Oh, the plotting!--the novel is fast-paced while the detective also manages to take his time (and emphasizes this to the other characters). When the recon missions are underway to the suspects' house, ...more
Teri
Actually I'm reading The Bachelors of Broken HIll by this author which I plan to finish before I leave for Australia in a couple of days... In preparation I'm reading a quaint mystery written about 1950, titled 'The Bachelors of Broken Hill'. Amy & I might get there. It is part of a series by Arthur Upfield and features a half-aborigine detective named Napoleon Bonaparte. The back cover features a blurb from the 'Times Literary Supplement' that I find irresistible "Arthur Upfield has an extr ...more
Hana
I read this about three years ago and just started re-reading it. I think it's one of Australian author Upfield's best (though I've read and enjoyed most of his books). His hero is half-aboriginal and half-white, raised (and improbably named Napoleon Bonaparte) by orphanage nuns. Detective Inspector 'Bony' brings his considerable intellectual gifts, humor and human insights, as well as his native tracking skills to bear on murder near the Rabbit Fence in the Australian Outback. Its set some fift ...more
Diana Petty-stone
A 1930's mystery story set in the Australian Outback.
Ashley
Upfield's writing is lovely and descriptive. It made me long once again to return to Australia's rugged beauty. While not as thrilling as many more recently written mystery stories, it made for a good puzzle. I loved the character of Detective Inspector Bonaparte, and I think if he'd been a real person we might have been good friends. My only real complaints were that the pace seemed a little slow at times, and the very ending was slightly ambiguous. Over all, a very entertaining read.
Louise Woodruff
May 27, 2013 Louise Woodruff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Louise by: eliz_lou@hotmail.com
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first "Bony" mystery I've read. It took me a bit of time to get into it. But I was drawn in to the young girls Sunflower and Lisa Jelly, and the mystery of their father's disappearances. Now I am even more curious about Australia. For instance, the significance of the Rabbit Fence. I will definitely try to find more of these mysteries. The main character--"half-caste" is fascinating. Quite a gentleman, he deals with society's racism deftly.
Liz Murray
I was disappointed by the ending but I find that often happens with mystery novels. I found this very well crafted for the most part and it is revealing of the colonial mindset of the time. It lacks in political correctness, which would in fact only serve to mask the genuine feelings of some of the characters. Relationships are fairly well developed and it gives a glimpse into rural life in Western Australia just before the second world war.
Sally
I love the Arthur Upfield Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte mysteries, mainly because of the setting in Australia and the portrayal of a half-cast white/aboriginal inspector. The mysteries are good, but I think this is one of the best in the series. You don't find out what IS Mr. Jelly's business until the last paragraph. Peter Hosking does a fine job with the voices and accents in the audiobook recordings by Bolinda Audio.
Regina
I just picked this one of Upfield's books so I could pick one! I have read a few and they were all fascinating. I first picked them up in Australia and have been seeking them out since. A detective who is half aborigine and half white during highly prejudiced times is a real "hook" and the mystery and the Australia setting just add to the pleasure.
Sharron
Though the story is engaging, the ending is one that I believe most people would guess in advance. But that is of no matter to me as I don't read these stories so much for the plot as I do for the characters and, most especially, the strong sense of place. On that point, the book is worth five stars. Additionally, the narrator is quite good.
Catherine
This who-dunit mystery was set in western Australia in the 1930's.
Eleanor Lux
I like this writer . Usually a mystery will get me so excited that I can't read it fast enough but Upfield's books are also enlightening and also thought provoking
Another favorite author of mine is Bruce Chatwin but he's not in the search list. I wonder why?
Jim Stennett
Fairly straight forward mystery that was probably a better read in the 1930s & '40s when Australia was a land far away and unknown to most Englishmen and Americans, but still an okay read. I might track more 'Bony' mysteries someday just out of curiosity.
Marina Sofia
Interesting half-caste detective with the name Napoleon Bonaparte, this is the golden age of crime fiction set in Australia. Not exactly cosy, though; conveys perfectly the claustrophobia of a small agricultural community.
May 16, 2007 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful LO patron read these books at her library in Illinois in the 40s and was hoping to revisit. I am intrigued!
Susan
Read this under the original name, Murder Must Wait, (I think)
Mickie
Written in the 1930's, this Aussie mystery is a treat!
Nan
Dated, but a very passable whodunit.
Diane
Charming detective.
Keith
Keith added it
Jan 26, 2015
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Library Paradox (Vanessa Duncan)
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn, #32)
  • Dial Me for Murder (Paige Turner, #5)
  • Unnatural Habits (Phryne Fisher #19)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
  • The Suspect
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • Star Trap
  • The Intelligencer
  • Black Plumes
  • Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield...

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The Bone is Pointed
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef
  • No Footprints in the Bush
  • Death of a Swagman
  • The Devil's Steps
  • An Author Bites the Dust
The Bone is Pointed The Bachelors of Broken Hill The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2) The Mystery of Swordfish Reef Death of a Swagman