Start by marking “Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Published April 26th 2005 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Happens for a Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Happens for a Reason

Angela
A powerful book!!! This is a book to keep on your self whenever your are going through a struggle in life to find the meaning...
Veronica
We always hear this phrase: "Everything happens for a reason," and the author tries to uncover the reasons behind the things that happens to us. She interviewed over a 100 people and found a pattern on the "whys" of the "seemingly random events" that transpire in our lives. It is an easy read and definitely a page turner. It is also full of lessons that we all need to know.
Linda
Interesting book...makes you think about what has happened in your life and how it made you are today.
Dacia
This book has truly helped me. As you read you realize everything the writer writes is something you know. However the ten meanings of events that she organizes for you if you write them down and look at these meanings every time you have an event in your life that is hard to deal with you look at these meanings and resolve your wallowing and figure out what you are supposed to learn from that situation. I absolutely love this book!
Cameo
I've read this book a few times and it's amazing! It makes you rethink events that have happened in your life. It transforms negative times and events into lessons and gives them meaning. And when new things occur in your life, you can then think of them differently. It makes you go to the lesson and meaning sooner instead of dwelling on things/people. It helped me to release anger towards people and circumstances.
Chantal Gagnon
Interesting that the author was able to find 10 core reasons things happen to us. She provides diagnostic questions so you can find reason for the event(s) in your life. Although none of them fit the bill exactly (for me) I found bits and pieces that I could relate to.
Emir Haziq
understand fully about qada and qadar first (if you are a muslim) before you are trying to understand this kind of books. it may affect your life view in a bad way. but still, its inspirational.
Renate
Too much 'author knows best' to my taste. Disliked the style (like a friend speaking to you over coffee) and the quick diagnostic questions. Main idea is wortwhile, but execution not that great.
Jane
Can it really be true that everything happens for a reason? As amazing as it sounds, it is. There is significance in every event of our lives, from the most joyful and empowering to the inexplicable or seemingly unjust. In Everything Happens for a Reason, psychotherapist Mira Kirshenbaum encourages us to discover the meaning in what has happened to us, seeing these experiences as gifts, lessons, or opportunities. Building on more than twenty-five years of clinical research, Kirshenbaum helps us ...more
Robert
Great book. Great lessons. Offers 10 suggested reasons why things may have happened. All leading back to the major theme that the universe is trying to prepare you to be the best you that you can be. Particularly like the diagnostic questions in the book for each reason that help you to determine if these diagnostic questions apply then this may have been the reason why an event happened in your life. Presented well, and with some good empirical anecdotal stories to help one relate to the materi ...more
Traci
A lot of comfort and good advice, good examples of loss, etc, and what lesson is there for you to learn? She categorizes 10 reasons why things happen: to help you accept yourself, to help you feel at home in this world, to let go of fear, to learn forgiveness, to find your hidden talent, to find true love, to become stronger, to find the play in life, to live with a sense of mission, to help you become a good person.
Stacey
This was a fabulous book for someohe who is looking to do some digging into why their lives are unfolding as they are. In my opinion, you should read this book because you want to make some changes in your life. Skeptical at first about her claims to what the book could answer for you, I fully believe she has done her research and really identified the reasons things happen to us. Good soul searching book.
Princess
I will probably end up purchasing this book at one point. I read the intro and then the diagnostic questions for each chapter before reading the chapters that applied to my personal situation. As I face different challenges, I will go back and reassess what I am learning. I like this author and have read several books by her now. I've enjoyed the introspection that I have received.
Bobbie57
I'm not sure why I had decided to read this book as I usually find books of this type kind of banal. But to my surprise I really liked this book. Found myself nodding my head in agreement along the way.

It is not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but it does help to focus on the results you can have to get past the "bad stuff."
Ken
The concept of "Cosmic Kindegarten" is quite an apt way of describing how we continually learn from our experiences. While the book focuses on how people can move forward after a tragedy or trauma, one could also apply the lessons to what a positive experience is teaching us: "What did I learn today and how can I apply it to improve my life?"
Juli
One of the few self-help books that is actually worth keeping. Ms. Kirshenbaum helps guides her readers through a series of qualifying questions to identify the lessons behind the major events in their lives. Many times, I was forced to put the book down and pause for self-reflection to identify what lessons I have not yet learned.
Casey
Interesting, but slow and very vague at times.
Daniel
Each page is a brilliant support for living with meaning and purpose. The concepts, examples are well organized, and the message is clear and soothing. This book is a true celebration of being human. Each chapter shines a light on the path of discovering the treasures of our life experiences.
Jun 16, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is definitely a thought provoking book. I think it is a must read for anyone that has ever wonder why an event has taken place in their life and if there was a purpose to the event happening. It sheds light on different reasons why an event may have taken place and what you can learn from it.
Ashley
I was excited to read this because I do believe everything happens for a reason, but I was incredibly bored with this book. A lot of repitition & never actually going anywhere. I skimmed the first two "reasons" & gave up.
Jill
I really enjoyed this helpful book. Whether you have just lost a job, or something else in your life - "Everything Happens for a Reason" will help you on your journey.
Julie
Read this as I was struggling with a few things that had happened in my life. This was a good guide for me to help sort some things out.
Pretty helpful.
Pete Nuñez
This book can be very inspiring for a person that is having a bad time or someone that is down on his/her luck. Very positive read.
Anita Paul
Awesome insight about the "reasons" things happen or the lessons people get from the stuff they go through. I highly recommend this one.
Cynlyn Jo
I still pull this out and read it again. I love this book it has helped me to find the reason in so many events in my life.
Barb
Truly a resourceful and insightful book. I would recommend this to anyone who has had challenges in their lives.
Lisa
Very helpful book that describes the various "reasons" and helps you figure out which reason applies to your situation.
Emily
10 anecdotal storied that help find meaning in the events in our lives and the lessons we can get from them
Barbara Chok
Good food for thought. Haven't finished yet but the book confirms what you believed all along.
LemontreeLime
Interesting way to look at everything that has ever happened.
  • Real Life: Preparing for the 7 Most Challenging Days of Your Life
  • The Gift Giver: A True Story
  • On the Edge of Darkness: America's Most Celebrated Actors, Journalists and Politicians Chronicle Their Most Arduous Journey
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
  • Imperfect Endings: A Daughter's Tale of Life and Death
  • Psychologist's book of self-test: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests
  • Falling Apart in One Piece: One Optimist's Journey Through the Hell of Divorce
  • Mars and Venus Starting Over: A Practical Guide for Finding Love Again After a Painful Breakup, Divorce, or the Loss of a Loved One
  • Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter
  • Meditations to Heal Your Life
  • Making a Change for Good: A Guide to Compassionate Self-Discipline
  • How to Break Your Addiction to a Person
  • The Marriage Test (Brides of Virtue, 3)
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Bible: New American Bible, Revised Edition 2011
  • Babar's Yoga for Elephants
Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship I Love You But I Don't Trust You: The Complete Guide to Restoring Trust in Your Relationship The Gift of a Year: How to Achieve Most Meaningful Satisfying Pleasurable Year yourLife The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High-Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue When Good People Have Affairs: Inside the Hearts & Minds of People in Two Relationships

“Real love is about falling in like.” 0 likes
“But you can only give so much of yourself away before you lose yourself.” 0 likes