Start by marking “Sunken Treasure: Wil Wheaton's Hot Cocoa Box Sampler” as Want to Read:
Sunken Treasure: Wil Wheaton's Hot Cocoa Box Sampler

Sunken Treasure: Wil Wheaton's Hot Cocoa Box Sampler

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Author Wil Wheaton says, "Sunken Treasure is a short collection of my favorite pieces from my books and blog, including a production diary from my 2008 role in Criminal Minds, and excerpts from a collaborative fiction I took part in called Ficlets. As a bonus feature, it also includes the never-before-seen script to a sketch I wrote and performed at the ACME Comedy Theater ...more
Chapbook, 90 pages
Published 2009 by Monolith Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sunken Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunken Treasure

Wil Wheaton
Jul 20, 2009 Wil Wheaton added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I can't really review this objectively because I wrote it, right?

I guess what learned from this is that it's a lot of fun to pull together a whole bunch of different stories into one place so people can get a sense of who I am as an author. I've been blown away that so many readers have liked it so much, and while I don't have scientifically-solid evidence that it's increased sales of my other books (no control data, really), I don't think it's entirely coincidence that Just A Geek sold ou
Drew
Mar 15, 2009 Drew rated it really liked it
I've been aware of Wil Wheaton as an actor since I was a kid, having seen "Stand By Me" and various episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" when I was as young as 12 years old. However, I've only known of him as a writer for a very short time, since I discovered his blog about 6 months ago. Apparently this is the main focus of his creative endeavors these days, as he has several books out and has been maintaining his blog for close to a decade. I'm glad I finally figured all of this out; I' ...more
Ean Elmer
Apr 29, 2009 Ean Elmer rated it it was amazing
I've read Wil Wheaton's blog for about two years. Honestly before that I'd pretty much forgotten about the guy. I knew of him from my childhood watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was neither a Wesley fan nor a Wesley hater. He was merely another actor on a show I loved. However one cannot be a geek (which I could very well qualify as) surfing the Internet for long without running across the name Wil Wheaton. Of all places I first head about him in a Penny Arcade blog posting. As I read m ...more
Stanley
Sep 11, 2015 Stanley rated it really liked it
This book, although similar to the others I had read from him, was a little different as well as it included some materials from different areas such as stories that were more flash fiction as well as a script.

The gem here for me was the Criminal Minds production diary. I really enjoyed the excitement he built into is using his own emotions from the time as the words themselves seemed energized.

His discussion about rediscovering his passion for acting, the family atmosphere of the production, an
Bianca
Mar 03, 2014 Bianca rated it it was amazing
Everybody probably knows Wil Wheaton. I you haven’t seen him as Wesley Crusher (yes, I am a girl who loves Star Trek, and Jonathan Archer is my captain, sorry Jean Luc!), you will have probably seen him in the Big Bang Theory, Eureka or an awesome show called TableTop on the "YouTube". I think I am late to the party when it comes to his writing though. I have only recently discovered his blog (as mentioned on my writing portfolio) and am now starting my journey through his books. And as it says ...more
intrepideddie
Aug 16, 2014 intrepideddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just what a title says it is: a sampler of Wil Wheaton's writings. Excerpts are taken from a few of the books he has written, his blog, and even a little bit that doesn't appear anywhere else. It's a great way to have a taste of Wil's writing so you can see if you want to eat the whole cake.

It's pretty standard memoirs fare: nostalgia, humor, regret, and warm fuzzies. Wil is an excellent writer (turns out his 7th grade teacher was right), so if you enjoy reading memoirs with a decid
Kevin
Oct 13, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm surprised this one is on here. This "chapbook" is a collection of excerpts from Wil's blog, several of his other books and writings. Geeky and cool stuff.

I picked up a signed copy at the 2008 Penny Arcade Expo along with Wil's "The Happiest Days of Our Lives." Mine is number 104 out of 200.

Finished this one last night. It's a good collection of a variety of works Wil has done, including a script for a sketch comedy show, one of his reviews of an episode of Star Trek: TNG (very much tong
Angelle Tusa
Mar 09, 2009 Angelle Tusa rated it really liked it
This book is meant to introduce you to Wil Wheaton's writings beyond what you might already read in his blog, and I think it does a good job of that. I've been reading his blog for years now, and I was somewhat hesitant to purchase a book because I wasn't sure just how much more there could be in his book entries. I have a pretty good memory of things I read, and when he occasionally digs up old entries and reposts them, I find myself going "Oh yeah, I remember this one.." So was it worth it to ...more
Daniel
Feb 28, 2009 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I quite enjoyed this chapbook collection of essays from Wil Wheaton, the uber-geek. His style is very personal and approachable, and I quite enjoy the way he writes in general.

While I enjoyed all of the essays, I found the included piece from his upcoming "Memories of the Future" (a collection of his snarky reviews of episodes of Star Trek:TNG) particularly amusing.

It's a self-published book via Lulu's print-on-demand service. I actually ordered the PDF ebook version so I could read it on my Kin
Alexander
Nov 20, 2009 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't know Wil's writting and people who do.
Shelves: geek-culture
Sunken Treasure is meant to introduce readers to Wil Wheaton and his writing.
Having listened to the audiobook for "Just A Geek" and read trough "Dancing Barefoot", I've heard some of the stories before...
This isn't bad though, the stories are great and the book also includes stuff from the ACME comedy group and his own diary from working on Criminal Minds and much more.
Diversity is not a problem here, no sire Bob.

The book includes many stories, Wheaton keeps a high quality in his writting and th
Brijesh Kartha
Apr 05, 2015 Brijesh Kartha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good representation of Wil Wheaton's writing, especially in that time when we was really getting his stride in with his blog. A very quick read - I strongly recommend that you either read this book, or his blog entries of the last decade, to catch up to the current context of Wil Wheaton :) Re-reading after quite some time, it was still fun.
Joanne
May 28, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Adding this book now as I reread it again, after meeting him momentarily at at 2012 Phx Comicon. Stood in line with all the other fan girls to get his autograph on the new "Fawkes" one-shot and stood face to faced with him just long enough to seem to insult him (his take I think). Totally embarrased myself because actually I guess I was trying to show off by quoting him, because yes, his storytelling is that good that he has joined the ranks of writers I can randomly quote because I have read an ...more
William Pepper
Feb 11, 2012 William Pepper rated it really liked it
Started following Wil Wheaton on Twitte because "Hey! I remember that guy from Star Trek. Started really enjoying his geeky and funny and geeky-funny posts so I decided to check out his writings that are more than 140 characters. Glad I did. The pieces in this book are very easy reading and very entertaining. Wheaton is funny and charming and his enthusiasm for his work, his family and his writing is heart-warming, even in the funny parts. Since we're about the same age, a lot of his pop culture ...more
Kathryn Patterson
Aug 24, 2012 Kathryn Patterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
As a reader of Wil Wheaton's blog, I already knew that I liked his writing style. But I did not expect to enjoy reading this book as much as I did.

"Sunken Treasure" exposes the reader to more than just a few blog entries. You get to hear how Mr. Wheaton came to terms with Star Trek and Wesley Crusher. You get a taste of his fiction, his writing skills. And you get a cute, informative ending story about the book itself, and Mr. Wheaton's successful foray into the world of e-books.

I strongly recom
Melissa Railey
Mar 03, 2013 Melissa Railey rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, tbr-challenge
This book is a collection of excerpts from Wil Wheaton's various writings. My initial reaction when I was reading this was that it was like sitting around listening to my friends talk. It was great fun and made me feel connected to him. He doesn't take on any pretensions, has no fear of making fun of himself and he's just plain funny. I am definitely going to be picking up some of his other books in the future. If you're the least little bit of a geek, you definitely should read this. And if you ...more
Maryellen
Sep 09, 2013 Maryellen rated it really liked it
I have followed Wil Wheaton's re-emergence upon the pop culture scene with a sort of joy, given that I loved him when growing up. It's a pleasant surprise (I hadn't really followed his blog) that he's such an excellent writer.

I found myself enthralled with the clear and interesting real life stories, more than his explorations into fiction. I love this sampler, because now I know which of his e-books I want to explore further. I'll gladly hail Wil as a great writer as well as a magnificent actor
Doug
Mar 21, 2011 Doug rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Wil Wheaton fans
Recommended to Doug by: Wil Wheaton
Shelves: 2011, memoir
I loved the anecdotes and short stories Wil included in the first half of this book, but I found the Criminal Minds production diary to be a little long and drawn out. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at the process of playing a guest role in a television series, but Wil gets a little sappy and fanboyish at parts. Don't worry, Wil! I know the fact that you are "one of us" is part of your appeal so others may feel differently. I hope this doesn't make me a dick. I still lo ...more
Meara
Aug 05, 2010 Meara rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you sad when there are no more stories left to read. It is a true sampler, a little of this, a dash of that, and a little pinch of something extra. It is an appetizer, designed to whet your appetite and make you want something more, so be warned! And be ready to buy more of Wil Wheaton's stuff and seek out his blog (if you haven't already done so).
Beth
Mar 22, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
The perfect place to begin for new fans or those coming to Wil Wheaton's work from his blog. For those of us geeks who've loved him long time (since birth), it's another brilliant chapbook from Mr. Wheaton, full of stories to make you smile and a not-to-be-missed series regarding his work on Criminal Minds.
Drew
Aug 01, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it
I read this book after reading about it on Wil Wheaton's blog about the books he wrote. Its a collection of stories Wil has put together about many various things including some insight on some Hollywood projects he was involved in. Its an interesting and humorous read.
Robyn
Jun 23, 2009 Robyn rated it it was amazing
This is a nice collection of Wil Wheaton's writing over the years. If you're not sure you want to buy one of his books, definitely try out this "chapbook." It has a little bit of everything. Buy the sampler for yourself and another copy for a friend!
Jdetrick
Feb 13, 2015 Jdetrick rated it really liked it
I love Wil Wheaton's writing, and my only complaint about this product is the formatting, which is horrible and occasionally difficult to read. Otherwise, it's an amazing book and makes me want to get his other titles as well.
Miranda
I loved the essays in here. Wil lets me feel like I know him. We've never met, and barring me deciding to go to PAX East sometime, we never will. But he lets me into his life, and that's such a wonderful gift.
Bianca Woods
Apr 30, 2011 Bianca Woods rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, finished-in-2011
This is a great sampler of Wheaton's work, but if, like me, you've read some of his other books you're going to end up reading stories you've read before.

Better for those new to Wheaton's writing than existing fans.
Rob
Nov 05, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
I picked this up and had it signed at PAX 2008 this year. It contains snippets of Wil's previously released work, and I really enjoyed his writing. I'll have to pick up his books at some point.
Brendan
Jun 13, 2011 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this gets a 4 from me is because I'd read most of the stories before in his other work. Still great to read them again. Thoroughly enjoyed his Criminal Minds production diary.
Shan
Jan 08, 2013 Shan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wil Wheaton has a very interesting way of writing his prose, where I really care about what he says, even if he's talking about rather mundane things. A great, quick read!
Tom
Mar 03, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
A potluck of Wil Wheaton's musings about geek life, acting, blogging and Star Trek. For those who have read his other books, this is the 2008 update to Wil's public life.
orangerful
Apr 15, 2010 orangerful marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, essays
I bought a copy of this when I was at PAX East 2010 and got Wil to autograph it for me. I haven't had a chance to read it, but the Hot Cocoa scent still lingers...
Janet Godsoe
Apr 17, 2011 Janet Godsoe rated it it was amazing
This is a great little sampler to find out if you like Wil Wheaton's writing style. Low price, quick read, and has snippets from different books of his.
  • Evil Cat: A Fluffy Kitty Gets Mean
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Star Trek: the manga Volume 2: Kakan ni Shinkou
  • The Fire Stone (The Reign of the Elements, #1)
  • A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Feeding a Yen: Savoring Local Specialties, from Kansas City to Cuzco
  • I am Not Spock
  • The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Imaginary Lands
  • Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7)
  • The Witches of Dixie (Witchery, #1)
  • Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
Wil Wheaton began acting in commercials at the age of seven, and by the age of ten had appeared in numerous television and film roles. In 1986, his critically acclaimed role in Rob Reiner’s Stand By Me put him in the public spotlight, where he remains to this day. In 1987, Wil was cast as Wesley Crusher in the hit television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Recently, Wil has held recurring r ...more
More about Wil Wheaton...

“Remember what it was like on Christmas when you woke up before your parents, and had to sit there until they were ready, knowing that just a few rooms away there was something awesome waiting for you? For the next thirty minutes, I felt that way, while I waited for them to call me back up to the set.” 4 likes