Start by marking “Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero” as Want to Read:
Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero

Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Published October 28th 1992 by T. I. Howerton Companies, Incorporated (first published October 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Baden-Powell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baden-Powell

Jeff
This is a fascinating read for us Scouters. The first 150 pages are a bit difficult to get through but after that I couldn't put it down. After 22 years of being a Scout, I now see how all the dots connect. I found myself saying, "oh so thats why that is" or "wow, thats really how that started?"
I read this book as part of my Wood Badge Ticket and now realize that of all the items I selected to work on this was by far the most educational. I had no idea the role B-P played beyond just scouting.
Mark Mortensen
Born in England in 1857 Robert Stephenson Smyth Powell would in his lifetime be known simply as Baden-Powell. He sought formal education along with military training to enter a military career, which carried him to locations such as Afghanistan and India. His career pinnacled at the turn of the 20th Century and during the Boer War in Africa he became a famous hero for the first time. His rise to lieutenant general of the British Army in 1907 caught the attention of British citizens including the ...more
Jeff
By far the best biography done on Baden-Powell. Green bar bill is the author and he himself exemplified exactly what Baden-Powell was trying to accomplish with scouting
Leo
I read this book about 15 years ago and I had to go back and read it because it serves as an inspiration of some values that today are lost.Lord Baden Powell, the heroe of Mafekin, wrote several manuals on scouting which he used to train some of the officers under his command. Later he used these books to train some of local boys in the art of tracking and camping and other outdoor skills. He started the Boy Scout program in England and it was imported to United States.
Today the program is still
Stan
For the scouting enthusiast I would say it's a must read. Great to understand the life of the first scout and some of the thoughts behind the organization of scouting. My interest in the scouting program increased significantly after reading this book. Truly a hero if ever there was one. The world is a better place for him having lived in it.
Walter Underwood
Not as detailed or researched as Tim Jeal's biography of Baden-Powell, but an easier read. This is the authorized bio, so it doesn't ask any hard questions and takes a few embellishments as gospel truth.

If you have time and the desire, read the Tim Jeal bio instead. But you won't go too far wrong with this one.
Spencer Wasden
This is a very dense book; the writing doesn't flow as mine does here; but my attention was held fast by the information and the adventure of his life. The man was in many ways amazing--an incredible worker, nearly unstoppable--and seemed to genuinely live up to the ideals of the movement he founded.
Elizabeth S
Baden-Powell was an absolutely incredible man. I knew he started the boy scouts, but I had no idea how much else he did in his life. This biography does a great job telling the story of a great man.
Peter
A good look at a fascinating man. The biggest problem with this book was that there was just so much information to pack in. Made it so dense it was hard to read a lot in a sitting.
Daniel
This is a book about the war hero and Scouting founder Lord Baden-Powell. It's more enjoyable to those of us with Scouting interests, but any history buff would enjoy.
Bill
Great Biography of the founder of the Scouting Movement. Pretty Amazing Guy! It is difficult to get the book as it is out of print, but it is well worth it!
Mike
You really realize how much the world has changed from the days of the British empire to now.
Trevor
Nov 25, 2008 Trevor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those involved in Scouting
Recommended to Trevor by: Woodbadge Troop Guide
An excellent, must read. Too bad it is out of print.
Nathan
A great biography of an extremely inspiring person.
Donny
Donny marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Taraya
Taraya added it
Jun 06, 2015
Cherie
Cherie is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Nuwan
Nuwan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Georg N
Georg N marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Boy Scout Handbook, the Official The Golden Book Of Camping: Tents And Tarpaulins, Packs And Sleeping Bags: Building A Camp: Firemaking And Outdoor Cooking: Canoe Trips, Hikes, And In Norman Rockwell's World of The New Field Book of Nature Activities and Hobbies Outdoor Things to Do: Year-Round Nature Fun for Girls and Boys