Start by marking “Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero” as Want to Read:
Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero

Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Published October 28th 1992 by T. I. Howerton Companies, Incorporated (first published December 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Baden-Powell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baden-Powell

Jeff
Dec 20, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating read for us Scouters. The first 150 pages are a bit difficult to get through but after that I couldn't put it down. After 22 years of being a Scout, I now see how all the dots connect. I found myself saying, "oh so thats why that is" or "wow, thats really how that started?"
I read this book as part of my Wood Badge Ticket and now realize that of all the items I selected to work on this was by far the most educational. I had no idea the role B-P played beyond just scouting.
Mark Mortensen
Aug 12, 2013 Mark Mortensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, military
Born in England in 1857 Robert Stephenson Smyth Powell would in his lifetime be known simply as Baden-Powell. He sought formal education along with military training to enter a military career, which carried him to locations such as Afghanistan and India. His career pinnacled at the turn of the 20th Century and during the Boer War in Africa he became a famous hero for the first time. His rise to lieutenant general of the British Army in 1907 caught the attention of British citizens including the ...more
Jeff
May 29, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
By far the best biography done on Baden-Powell. Green bar bill is the author and he himself exemplified exactly what Baden-Powell was trying to accomplish with scouting
Cherie
Jul 31, 2015 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a Scout leader for 5+ years who is getting ready for Wood Badge I decided that it was about time I familiarized myself with the man responsible for the organization my family loves. Sure, I learned a lot about Lord Robert Baden-Powell, but I learned so much more. I learned about how his Scout movement came into being. I learned about his vision for the youth of the world and his great desire for peace and world unity.

A wonderful read for anyone interested in S
Leo
Aug 04, 2012 Leo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 15 years ago and I had to go back and read it because it serves as an inspiration of some values that today are lost.Lord Baden Powell, the heroe of Mafekin, wrote several manuals on scouting which he used to train some of the officers under his command. Later he used these books to train some of local boys in the art of tracking and camping and other outdoor skills. He started the Boy Scout program in England and it was imported to United States.
Today the program is still
Alanna P
May 17, 2016 Alanna P is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Carroll and Baden Powell in the same room must have been quite,the adventure!
Stan
Nov 18, 2008 Stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the scouting enthusiast I would say it's a must read. Great to understand the life of the first scout and some of the thoughts behind the organization of scouting. My interest in the scouting program increased significantly after reading this book. Truly a hero if ever there was one. The world is a better place for him having lived in it.
Walter Underwood
Mar 08, 2011 Walter Underwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as detailed or researched as Tim Jeal's biography of Baden-Powell, but an easier read. This is the authorized bio, so it doesn't ask any hard questions and takes a few embellishments as gospel truth.

If you have time and the desire, read the Tim Jeal bio instead. But you won't go too far wrong with this one.
Spencer Wasden
May 06, 2013 Spencer Wasden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very dense book; the writing doesn't flow as mine does here; but my attention was held fast by the information and the adventure of his life. The man was in many ways amazing--an incredible worker, nearly unstoppable--and seemed to genuinely live up to the ideals of the movement he founded.
Elizabeth S
Baden-Powell was an absolutely incredible man. I knew he started the boy scouts, but I had no idea how much else he did in his life. This biography does a great job telling the story of a great man.
Peter
Jun 16, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scouts and Scouters
Recommended to Peter by: David Spangler
A good look at a fascinating man. The biggest problem with this book was that there was just so much information to pack in. Made it so dense it was hard to read a lot in a sitting.
Daniel
Jul 25, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is a book about the war hero and Scouting founder Lord Baden-Powell. It's more enjoyable to those of us with Scouting interests, but any history buff would enjoy.
Bill
Jul 29, 2011 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great Biography of the founder of the Scouting Movement. Pretty Amazing Guy! It is difficult to get the book as it is out of print, but it is well worth it!
Mike
May 29, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You really realize how much the world has changed from the days of the British empire to now.
Trevor
Nov 25, 2008 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those involved in Scouting
Recommended to Trevor by: Woodbadge Troop Guide
An excellent, must read. Too bad it is out of print.
Nathan
Jul 21, 2011 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great biography of an extremely inspiring person.
Heikki
Sep 25, 2010 Heikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I translated this book into Finnish in 1990.
Mahalakshmi
Mahalakshmi rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Tea Kekua
Tea Kekua is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Mike Laney
Mike Laney rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Jim Backstrom
Jim Backstrom marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Anubhav
Anubhav marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
George
George rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Kristýna Mališová
Kristýna Mališová marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Julián Rios
Julián Rios rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Posju Camed
Posju Camed rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Jason Nesbit
Jason Nesbit rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016