Start by marking “The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book” as Want to Read:
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,806 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Featuring more than 700 kitchen-tested recipes, 800 step-by-step photos, opinionated product ratings, and at-a-glance tutorials, The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book is a practical guide to baking basics for the beginning baker as well as an accomplished one.
Published August 15th 2008 by America's Test Kitchen

To ask other readers questions about The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by America's Test KitchenBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and Gardens
Awesome Cookbooks!
22nd out of 142 books — 102 voters
The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Jennifer AppelThe America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book by America's Test KitchenBaking Illustrated by Cook's Illustrated MagazineHeirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters by Marilynn BrassMartha Stewart's Baking Handbook by Martha Stewart
Cookbooks on Baking
2nd out of 107 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
Feb 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-and-food
I love anything from America's Test Kitchen. This book is about baking, one of my very favorite things to do. The chefs (or should I say scientists) at America's Test Kitchen do such a wonderful job with really breaking down a recipe and making sure they have it just right. I love their explanations as to why certain things work in a recipe and certain things don't (after much testing, of course!). Their tip for understanding the difference between melted butter and softened butter was ...more
Megan
Feb 18, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie
Except perhaps for the peanut butter cookies (too crunchy), everything I've made out of this book is stellar. Yummiest Pecan Sandies of my life. Best Apricot Almond Muffins ever. Most scrumptious blackberry scones to date. I think I have this book (and my ma, for giving it to me) to thank for my new found love of jogging.
Tj
Jan 15, 2015 Tj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chocolate
This book is more than a cookbook. It has tons of hints on which products, cookware and utensils to buy as well as "how tos" on most techniques. Most importantly it has a recipe for the

BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES EVER!!!

Tia Hall
Dec 17, 2008 Tia Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipe
My husband recently bought this for me and I love it. I have baking for years, and this year for all my holiday baking I have been using these recipes. Truly, I have yet to find a recipe that is lacking. I highly recommend this and all the America's Test Kitchen books. Fool proof!
Karen Hood
Mar 12, 2014 Karen Hood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
This cookbook is a classic with recipes you can count on to be correct. Thanks
Paula
Mar 05, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
I love this book. My go to for most all my baking needs. Best chocolate chip cookies by far.
Donna
Nov 10, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
There's a great variety of recipes here, with a lot of helpful pictures. Measurements are given for both volume and weight. Like all the America's Test Kitchen stuff, there are helpful tips and warnings about common problems that people run into.

My biggest quibble is that the recipe instructions geared towards stand mixers. They give timings and mixer speeds for various dough recipes, but no similar guidance for bakers who will be doing the recipes without one. In a way this makes sense, because
Camille
Jul 15, 2009 Camille rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Awesome! Baking is my favorite type of cooking and this book gave me some great pointers. Once again, lots of side notes explaining the science behind baking...which is even more precise than in stove top cooking.

The recipes I've made have turned out beautifully and were delicious. I like that they are for small batches and have detailed instructions with plenty of step by step pictures.

If you like to bake, or want to learn to bake, this is a great book. And the measurements are by volume (unli
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cooks, bakers and hungry people
Fully illustrated and tabbed, this cookbook hearkens back to the original Betty Crocker cookbook, only resplendent with color photos throughout and updated to include newfangled accessories like food processors and microwaves. This book covers all the homey basics, from biscuits to baklava, flatbread to phyllo, sourdough to souffle. Indeed, just as its
Eisehower-administration ancestor, the Test Kitchen cookbook includes charts of measurements and substitutions, plus an equipment guide of gadgets
Marley
Aug 20, 2015 Marley rated it it was amazing
I have used this book for years and love everything about it from the pictures to the tips and equipment reviews.
Earlier this month I tackled my biggest baking project: making the cake for my brother's wedding. Following the Wedding Cake chapter of this book was a lifesaver. From breaking down the timeline to being very candid about the time, space, and skill needed this chapter was an honest and helpful guide through this imposing process.
C
Apr 26, 2010 C rated it really liked it
The usual detail oriented style of the Test Kitchen folks. 3 ring binder style binding is handy, tabbed sections even handier. Great instruction, pictures, step by step illustration.

Looking forward to going through and trying a few things in here... learned a few things just perusing. A steal for 2$ used from the library.

Culinary Skill Level: perfect for beginner to moderate.
Bethany Montez
Jan 02, 2013 Bethany Montez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
This, is probably one of the best impulse cuz boarders is going out of business buys i ever made. my go-to for any new dessert, i can be confident that as long as i follow it, the food will turn out right. It also has a lot of informative blurbs on random stuff like the best way to butter/flour a bunt pan. LOVE!
Kathy Kramer
Jan 04, 2012 Kathy Kramer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginning bakers
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a good book for the beginning baker and those who like to bake. the instructions are clear and the notes are helpful. If you own any of ATK's other books, you may see some repetition, but there wasn't enough of it to dissuade me from buying the book.
Liz De Coster
Jun 05, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies, food
Why do I bother getting these from the library, when I inevitably end up bookmarking a third of the recipes and wanting to buy the book? Oh, America's Test Kitchen, how you do tempt me ...
Lisita
Mar 03, 2010 Lisita rated it it was amazing
I'm a baker at heart and I can't live without this book. Fun to sit and read through. Wonderful tips and recipes!!
Apr 28, 2011 Laura added it
I love this cookbook!!! The layer cakes are my favorite (just made the lemon layer cake for Easter), but there are lots of yummy recipes in every section.
Michael
Jan 27, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Illustrations were very well layed out. This book is very useful and organized. The binder format takes up unnecessary space, but Im sure its useful for adding information.
Emma
Oct 07, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
I love this baking book, wonderful basic recipes, some suggestions for each, but leaves room to play.
Gail
Apr 03, 2009 Gail added it
I would like to make everything in this book starting on page 1. I hope the people at work are hungry!
Kristin
Mar 15, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a staple in our house. Get rid of your Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks and switch over to America's Test Kitchen. They're just plain better.
Henry Vancedarfield
Henry Vancedarfield rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Donald Wakefield
Donald Wakefield rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Regina
Regina rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Grier
Grier rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
Shell
Shell rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Roger Smith
Roger Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Southern Biscuits
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company
  • Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
  • Baking
  • How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking
  • Southern Living Heirloom Recipe Cookbook: The Food We Love From The Times We Treasure
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • What to Cook and How to Cook It