Start by marking “Patient by Patient: Lessons in Love, Loss, Hope, and Healing from a Doctor's Practice” as Want to Read:

Emily Transue earned her credentials in medical school, but learns lessons of a different kind when she embarks on private practice. Her patients, some delightful, some difficult, all come to her for medical advice but, they are not the only ones gaining from the experience. As Dr. Transue guides them through routine exams and life-challenging crises she learns much about ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Patient by Patient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patient by Patient

Leslie
Jun 10, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for doctor lit - Complications, anything by Oliver Sacks, Hot Lights, Cold Steel, etc. But Transue is something different. I have to go get On Call because I can't believe I missed it.

This is a great book that allows you to enter the doctor's thoughts on her patients. Warning - she does deal with loss, both of her patients and her father and grandmother, so if you've recently lost anyone, I'd hold off. I was crying, and it's been some years since my grandma passed away.

But to compen
Kim
Jun 14, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
In this follow up to On Call, Dr. Transue shares the experiences of settling into practice as an internist fresh out of residency. In Patient by Patient we hear not only the patient stories that have touched Transue's life, but also the personal life experiences that shape her as a physician and a person. She shares many stories of grief and loss but manages to find hope amongst all of the sadness. A quick, enjoyable read that leaves you wanting more.
Kristin
Jun 13, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's name is familiar, though I'm not certain whether I read her other book. If I have not, I definitely want to because her writing is excellent, flows well, and kept me interesting through the end. Transue uses threads from her personal life to incorporate relevant stories from her job into each chapter. In particular, Transue focuses on the relationships with her father and grandparents and her marriage to another physician. Her father lives in California with his partner and slowly l ...more
Lindz
Aug 31, 2014 Lindz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like the first book, Transue's memoir of life as a doctor is poignant and thought-provoking. Her views have changed significantly though. Instead of the fast-paced, energetic and sometimes traumatic lifestyle of being a resident intern at an emergency room, she is settling into life as a primary care provider. Along the way, she deals with parallels between her aging and ill patients, and her own family members.

I wasn't as glued to this book like I was the first one, but once I got into it,
May 11, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In general, I'm a big fan of medical literature, coupled with the fact that this one takes place in Seattle I was eager to dive in. Transue weaves the events of her personal life in with tales of her early days of medical practice. Sounds like a winning recipe but the writing failed to engage me enough to complete the book.
Shan Ying
Dec 26, 2009 Shan Ying rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in doctor/patient relationship
Dr. Emily Transue is indeed a talented writer. She illustrates the love, loss and hope in the relationship between doctors and patients. Each story that Dr. Transue included in her book is surrounded by her experience of humanity. Illness and beauty; the cruel fact of fact of dying and the heartwarming sensation of caring can indeed woven into a beautiful picture in Dr. Transue's book.
Abigail Cashelle
Overall: Not a profound book, but very true-to-life and funny. Gives a genuine glimpse into a young woman’s life, her journeys as a primary care physician, a daughter, a granddaughter, and a girlfriend.

More here: http://hiddencourage.wordpress.com/20...
Kater Cheek
This had some interesting stories, but wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. In fact, it was quite depressing, and made me cry more than once. Ms. Transue is a skilled writer, however, and her anecdotes are memorable and touching.
Ruben
Jan 29, 2009 Ruben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I read the first couple of chapters of Dr. Transue's first book, and I keep a doctor for a wife, so I'm familiar with both her style and subject. She deals a lot with death here, and as you would guess, it's the stories of her own family that mean the most. A goodread, but not a greatread.
Brian
Aug 20, 2008 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed this book, I found her earlier book, "On Call" to be better written and more interesting. In this book, Dr. Transue focuses too much on her family and not enough on pt interaction and the challenges of being a primary care physician.
Marmie
Dec 06, 2011 Marmie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. It has a little bit of curse words, which added nothing to the mix. I loved the part where she expressed her love for her grandparents. It was very touching and sweet. My only true objection is that she did not find Jesus in her life.
Margaret
Mar 05, 2011 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot, especially her reflections on relationships and death. Functions as much as a memoir about family relationships as it does about the author's medical practice.
Melinda Cordell
Dec 23, 2014 Melinda Cordell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book is very focused on death and how different people grieve. Loved it, would recommend to someone who had read her first book.
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Danielle Deville
Danielle Deville rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Jackster8000
Jackster8000 rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2009
Jean Sager
Jean Sager rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Sheri St.
Sheri St. rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Barbara Kane
Barbara Kane rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Grappy
Grappy rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2011
Jaime Duretz
Jaime Duretz rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Daniel Kemper
Daniel Kemper rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital
  • Match Day: One Day and One Dramatic Year in the Lives of Three New Doctors
  • What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story
  • Hospital: Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity, Plus Red Tape, Bad Behavior, Money, God and Diversity on Steroids
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Genetic Rounds: A Doctor's Encounters in the Field that Revolutionized Medicine
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Brain Surgeon: A Doctor's Inspiring Encounters with Mortality and Miracles
  • As I Live and Breathe: Notes of a Patient-Doctor
  • The Surgeons: Life and Death in a Top Heart Center
  • The Lonely Patient: How We Experience Illness
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
Emily R. Transue, MD, is a native of Toledo, Ohio, and a graduate of Yale College and Dartmouth Medical School. She did her residency and chief residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Washington, Seattle. She works as a general internist at a multispecialty group in Seattle, and is a clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Washington. She received the Providence-Seattle Medic ...more
More about Emily R. Transue...