Forty Studies That Changed Psychology: Explorations Into the History of Psychological Research

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This unique book closes the gap between psychology textbooks and the research that made them possible by offering a first hand glimpse into 40 of the most famous studies in the history of the field, and subsequent studies that expanded upon each study's influence. Readers are able to grasp the process and excitement of scientific discovery as they experience an insider's l...more
Published April 20th 2008 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published March 20th 1992)

Johnnycakes
Aug 01, 2007 Johnnycakes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psy-Curious
Very compact but immediately helpful in teaching Psychology. (Though it does make you wonder if we would know anything about human behavior without hurting monkeys and dogs).
Benjamin Champagne
This was a fascinating book. It is simply an intro to psychology workbook. The format for most books of this nature is not as streamlined. Each chapter is only a few pages and gives you the most pertinent information. This makes it easy for the reader to discuss afterwards. Perhaps this could be a problem if someone was trying to learn specific vocabulary, but I would assume the classroom setting would foster that. In my instance I read the book on my own and those details and tips for memory wo...more
Tiffany
I appreciate this book, as it has made a reliable research source time and time again. My only qualm is that Hock does not go super in-depth with many of the studies.
Kelly R
Read for History of Psychology class. One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read for school. I liked the choice of studies. Unlike typical psych history textbooks, this was not someone's ramblings on people/events in the history of psychology. Rather, it was organized into ten chapters by ten topics. Each chapter contained 4 studies which were briefly summarized and discussed. If you are looking for a brief glance about how Psych has been practically applied over the last 100 or so years, re...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Loved this book! It explains - and updates - many of the studies in Psychology
I will use it a lot in my teaching of Psychology
Jamila Raja
The human mind is a weird place and this book proves it. Humans are probably the most unstable creatures out there and for some reason we're proud of it.

This book was a required reading for my psychology class and the studies are crazy and mind boggling. From seeing if babies will throw themselves off a fake cliff to scaring little Albert into thinking while fluffy things will harm him. It's quite an interesting read.
Lori

I picked this one up at a garage sale because I was taking an online psychology course.

Very informative, very relevant to my course and very interesting.

Many of the studies are very close to or even over the line ethics wise but given the time-period they were done...well, that was then, this is now.
I'm thinking specifically the Little Albert experiments. Couldn't do THAT nowadays. Google it.
Ali
this book was really intresting! I was suprised since it is a book I had to read for school. all of the diffrents studies helped me learn so much about how are human brain works! it was a really engoying book to read for school. the studies go step by step and help you understand everything that is going on! overaall it was a great read. I wouldn't choose to read it just for fun though.
Natalie
Aug 26, 2007 Natalie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that wanna dable with the learning of human behavior
I had to read this for summer homework, though i hated the giant work load i had to do i loved reading the book and itergrated the information into my head. It has changed my perspective on how other people behave and gave me insight on how they think. Because of this book, i view people differently and try to explain to myself why they are behaving as they are.
Natalie
Aug 26, 2007 Natalie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in human behavior and such
Joecolelife
Jul 24, 2012 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
I really wasn't looking forward to yet another psychology text, but this one is actually enjoyable. The author has managed to pare down each study to the essentials and doesn't waste a ton of space trying to entertain the reader. I would recommend it for anyone interested in how the mind works, and the information that has made our understanding greater.
Karen
This book would be best for a specific kind of reader who is looking for a semi-academic review of the most import psychology studies ever done. I found it a great review and reminder of what has been studied and learned over the years. It is succinct and interesting but not for someone who is looking for fiction or a little light reading.
Serena
A fascinating look at case studies, experiments, and tests done in the field of pyschology and full of good information. Yet this book is ultimately a textbook, and Mr. Hock wrote the book in textbook writing. The reading can be quite dull at times even if the subject of the study was interesting.
Sean Chick
My rating is a bit unfair for this is a good source of information. I just could not get into it which might be due to the prose. I am also a bit critical of contemporary psychology, but to be fair this is a very balanced book in terms of the studies discussed.
Sydney
Well, I had to read this book for an AP Psych summer project. It was good, I guess...it's just that the outcomes of the studies all seemed pretty obvious to me. Still interesting though. I liked the "Picture This" and "Thanks For The Memories" the best.
Trisha V
Good review of studies that have had longstanding impacts on the various subfields of psychology. Succinct summaries of said studies, their implications, and more recent studies that have furthered the discussion and findings.
Astaraneth
May 10, 2010 Astaraneth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I should have read at the start of my Psychology programme. Great read for Psych majors. Nevertheless, no technical language is used making this an entertaining read for all!
Hannah
I had this for my summer ap psychology reading, so i didnt have to read every single case study in the book. but im finished reading it anyways. it was interesting and surprising.
Roxy
I read this for psych class. I thought I'd add it even though much of it was skimmed. I'd say the book does a good job of summing up some wonderful psychological experiments.
Jean
a little dated now, but hard to improve on as an introductory eye opener on psychology - particularly how we perceive others and whether that perception is justified.
Amanda
Really good analysis of major research done in psychology, the reasons behind it, the methods, results, criticisms and applications since the research was conducted.
Stephanie Tollis
A book that was required for my AP Psychology class that actually turned out to be extremely enjoyable and taught me a lot more about the course than I expected it to.
Polina Michail P.
One of the most interesting books i have ever read! If you are interested about psychology then you have to read it!I really recommend it.
Josh Morales
An all-star list of important studies. Keeps it brief and interesting.
Michael
Very enlightening, though there are way too many corny jokes.
Elena Lucas
Done! It just took me for what felt like forever.
Mariami
i'm interesting this book very and i want to read it
Highly informative as well as readable.
Angie
Great book to read along with a Psyc 101 course.
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • The Story of Psychology
  • How To Think Straight About Psychology (8th Edition)
  • 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology: Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior
  • Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • Psychology
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleep
  • The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are
  • 50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do: Insight and Inspiration from 50 Key Books
  • The Neuroscience of Human Relationships: Attachment And the Developing Social Brain
  • Biopsychology
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
Human Sexuality Forty Studies that Changed Psychology: Explorations into the History of Psychological Research (6th Edition) Forty Studies that Changed Psychology: Explorations into the History of Psychological Research, 5th Edition Forty Studies that Changed Psychology (7th Edition) Human Sexuality (Case) Plus New Mypsychlab with Etext -- Access Card Package