Start by marking “What Became of Her” as Want to Read:
What Became of Her

What Became of Her

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What became of Rosa Fitch?In Serenity, Pennsylvania, everyone wondered what would become of Rose Fitch, and then they forgot about her, the way you put bad news out of your head. But Rose never let herself forget about them...and now she's back. She's rich. She's bought a house she calls Peligro. With her is her niece, Julie, and a companion, Peale, who's almost human. He' ...more
Published February 5th 2002 by HarperTrophy (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What Became of Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Became of Her

Taylor
Beth
In Kerr's 12th novel, narrator Edgar befriends Julie, the desperate-to-be-liked adopted niece of the town's eccentric Queen of Greed. Mrs. Slaymaster is a landowner who carries around a leather doll dressed in designer duds (the doll, Peale, is said to be a good luck charm). Edgar and Julie pal around with socially eccentric buddy Neil, forming tight threesome. When Edgar finds an old diary or Mrs. Slaymaster, he discovers the secrets of her unhappy childhood, and discovers how past shapes the p ...more
Max
Oct 22, 2007 Max rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like other's lives.
Shelves: advisory
This book was OK. Rose Fitch's life was sad. She was in a way abandoned by the guy she loved, and to have her revenge, she became rich. When she was rich, she became mean. Her and her niece Julie went back to Texas. There, she bought a humongous house and at the same time, only befriended a few people.
This book basically told about Rose Fitch. She became Rosalind Slaymaster. She became an overprotective aunt, and then died a sad woman. Her niece became a happy wife and then E.C. Tobbit and Neal
Cui
I didn't really like this book so much, but I can say this book is pretty sad that people tend to ignore others when they aren't really 'rich'. Rose Fitch was forgotten but eventually she became much better but is still isn't perfect with the new people that she is living with as they are giving her some difficulties. I don't know what I would like about this book because it feels like the Characters were all adults and really hard to relate to.
Kylie D
This book was a very interesting book, but the best thing I like about it is at the end you see the changes of people and what effects you can really have on a person. Every chapter seemed to be very interesting and the characters were very weird. It seemed like sometimes like there were some parts I couldn’t understand and didn’t really get what they were talking about. This book showed how sometimes you don’t truly know a person.
John
An interesting read once the reader gets a little bit into the story. The reader is unavoidably drawn into the book, wanting to know more about the past as well as the revenge Mrs. Slaymaster is planning. The book takes an interesting view point because the main antagonist could very well have been a protagonist in another story, as well as being a victim. We sympathize with the antagonist, she is not an evil woman.
Ewelina
Edgar Tobbit and Neal Kraft met at therapy and have a plan to take revenge on Mrs. Slaymaster. He really likes Julie and when Mrs. S decides to move, he decided to steal Peale in order to stop Julie from moving away. A search begins! Great book!!!
rebekah
I have always had a deep and abiding love of M.E. Kerr. Her best book(for me) was her memoirs Me Me Me Me Me. She is such a bomb YA author, even though I doubt any teens know who Carson McCullers is...I still adore her style.
Sharlyn Paulino
i really liked this book a lot because it had a lot of mystery to it an i liked how it didnt tell what was going to happen right away and it left me wanting to read more and more after each page.
Talia Castro
oh my God! :/ well what can i say of this book? E.C. and julie would have been a great couple! :(
Jennie
Eh. I thought it would be better than it was.
Surprisingly quiet and fantastic.
Ellen
Ellen added it
Feb 23, 2015
Evey
Evey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tammy Hornbeck
Tammy Hornbeck marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jose Villatoro
Jose Villatoro marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Gothsparkleprincess
Gothsparkleprincess marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Nett
Nett added it
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
M. E. Kerr was born Marijane Meaker in Auburn, New York. Her interest in writing began with her father, who loved to read, and her mother, who loved to tell stories of neighborhood gossip. Unable to find an agent to represent her work, Meaker became her own agent, and wrote articles and books under a series of pseudonyms: Vin Packer, Ann Aldrich, Laura Winston, M. E. Kerr, and Mary James. As M. E. ...more
More about M.E. Kerr...
Deliver Us from Evie Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! Gentlehands If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever? I Stay Near You: One Story in Three