Start by marking “Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 1

Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 1 (Civil War: Front Line #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  2,442 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
There's a truth buried in the heart of every war, and reporters Sally Floyd and Ben Urich will be there, uncovering that truth in the midst of the conflagration in the Marvel Universe. In the wake of the Stamford disaster, the public cries out for super-hero registration. This title collects stories from Civil War: Front Line numbered 1 to 6.
Published May 2nd 2007 by Marvel (first published April 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinX-Men by Chris Claremont
Best of Marvel Comics
73rd out of 405 books — 132 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanY by Brian K. Vaughan
Graphic Novels that are Quality
248th out of 598 books — 499 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia
May 17, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics, 2016
Wow. I honestly didn't expect much from this which is probably why I rated it four stars instead of three.

So this story primarily follows news reporters during the Civil War event. Sally Floyd is pretty adamantly anti-registration while Ben Urich starts off as pro-registration but begins to waver when (view spoiler)

This does mainly focus on Sally and Ben, but it also followed some heroes from various sides for
Antonella
"This was civil liberty versus civil comfort"

En cada mini aparición de Daredevil fangirleo mucho.

The road to civil war: #14- Civil War: Front Line #1
Greg
Dec 22, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
One of the more interesting story arc's of the big Civil War story line in Marvel.
Alex Ristea
Now that I've read through the main event, it seems like the rest of the tie-ins will flesh out the story. It's a neat way to flesh out a world and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Front Line has a heavy journalistic focus and we get to see how normal people respond to and think about the havoc that superheroes cause. Again, getting deeper into the Civil War and how far-reaching it is.

The only thing was that with four concurrent stories within the same TP, I never really connected to any of them o
Kyle Warner
The Marvel Civil War is an epic event that takes place after a team of superheroes accidentally cause a disaster which results in the deaths of hundreds of people. The government passes the Superhuman Registration Act into law so that all powered or costumed heroes can be governed and kept in check. Iron Man and others back the law, feeling they need to be held accountable for their actions. Meanwhile, Captain America leads a resistance against the law, which brings the two sides into conflict w ...more
Momentai
I have to admit that every book I've read or even glanced at, I've been persuaded by other people into reading. Not that they hold me down and tell me to read this or die. Or hold me at gunpoint and that if I don't read the first fifty pages they'll put one between the eyes. But I read reviews, all the time, almost twenty if I can, just to get a feel for what the community is thinking about.

What I don't normally read are comic books, especially mainstream where the characters are revived every f
Adriana
Feb 16, 2016 Adriana rated it really liked it
I actually found reading from the pov of the non-powered (normal) people more interesting than the fights between heroes. In this volume we see how everyone else reacts to the Registration Act and the war that ensues between heroes as well as what happens to the sole survivor of the tragedy that started it all. It’s definitely the most human volume in the series and it gives the overall story arc a solid foundation.
Colleen
Feb 08, 2016 Colleen rated it really liked it
The inclusion of material from various wars & conflicts, juxtaposed with various events within the Marvel Universe was unexpected, but ultimately effective.
Hrishi
Mar 14, 2015 Hrishi rated it it was amazing
Finally! The complexity and nuance that I was looking for in the main Civil War event! Looks like all the politics and intrigue was left out of the limited series so it could be put into this one. A brilliant book that covers three stories...

The first titled "Embedded" is about Ben Urich and Sally Floyd, reporters both, who follow their own leads on the fringes of the War and chase after different threads of how the government is enforcing the Superhero Registration law. This one is classic poli
Phillip
Feb 18, 2016 Phillip rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, marvel
I recommend reading the main storyline to Marvel's Civil War event before starting this. After a fight between the New Warriors and a group of supervillains killed 612 people, including 60 children, in the town of Stamford, CT, the country calls for the registration of all heroes. There is a political theme running throughout the connected books pitting the pro-government/registration group against those that see this as a violation of their personal freedom.

What this volume does is follow two c
Jim C
Aug 13, 2015 Jim C rated it really liked it
My rating is not quite four stars but definitely stronger than three stars. This collection provides more depth into the Civil War story line as we get three different stories. I enjoyed two out of the three stories. One of the stories was more of a tease and just didn't have enough exposition to be enjoyed by the reader.

The first story line is we get to see the events of the registration act thru the eyes of two newspaper reporters. This story was the highlight of the issue as it covers clashes
Ryan
May 06, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it
One of the better stories so far in the Civil War plotline. The take of the two reportes could be the most interesting of every collection so far, as it shows the toll that the situation takes on normal humans. Speedball's storyline is alright, as he was part of the impetus for the entire shebang. The "Sleeper Cell" thread doesn't do it for me yet--I guess it'll all depend on how that plays out and why it's even included. Lastly, the "War Correspondence" collections are intriguing to a certain e ...more
Emma
Feb 01, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
Front Line takes it all from a different angle, the outsider's perspective, and as much as I would rather read through the eyes of the beloved characters it is insightful. And everything hurts.
Stewart Tame
Mar 25, 2015 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I like the idea of presenting several continuing stories in discrete chunks, as well as standalone pieces, all dealing with sort of a street level view of the events in Civil War. Paul Jenkins has an excellent grasp of the characters and does a good job of keeping everything on a fairly realistic level. I particularly enjoyed the moment when a female reporter is innocently flirting with Spider-Man until he mentions being married and then they both feel awkward. It's a very cute, ver ...more
Daniel Joda
Jul 26, 2011 Daniel Joda rated it liked it
Lot of story, light on action. Cool job with the parallels with history and what is going on in the book though.
Dustin Johnston
Jun 17, 2016 Dustin Johnston rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, 2016
My Rating - 2.5 Stars

I'm all over the place with my ratings in this series. However, Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 1 is one of those bonus stories that doesn't add much to the overarching plot, but does provide some behind the scenes look at, in this case, a group of people that often get overlooked in this superhero world: the reporters.

That being the case, it is fairly slow and I felt little connection to the characters. Get me back to the action!
Darth Andrew
Aug 14, 2015 Darth Andrew rated it really liked it
By far one of the best of the Civil War collections.
Sylvester
May 24, 2016 Sylvester rated it really liked it
Three consecutive stories are being shown in this volume. Sally Floyd is trying to discover the whereabouts of the Secret Avengers, Speedball facing unjust treatment in the federal compound as an analogy to concentration camp. The last part is an analogy of the war to many great American wars.

The first part is a nice spy thriller which really kept the series going; the second part was really rage inducing, Speedball deserves better. The last part was disgusting, how dare they compare Iron man to
Holden Attradies
Jun 06, 2016 Holden Attradies rated it really liked it
I managed to read the second volume of this first, which made this one a little anti-climatic but it was still a really good read. My only big note to anyone looking to read this is just skip over all the little vignettes where a superhero's narration is side by side with scenes from historical battles. None of them add to the story, and they are pretty painfully insulting to real world events. Not only is the comparison between fictional characters painful, but the fictional events REALLY don't ...more
Jazzypom
Nov 30, 2008 Jazzypom rated it liked it
There's a saying along the lines of history belonging to the victors. In this imagining, what with various reporters on the ground (Ben Ulrich, Sally Floyd, et al), that isn't necessarily the case. The reporters are on the front-line, literally capturing everything that's going on, and having some bad moments along the way. In addition, this comic attempts to ground Marvel's civil war alongside various civil wars in history, and doesn't flinch from actually 'going there' in terms of government i ...more
Gavin
Oct 05, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Front Line Volume 1 is an interesting set of intersecting stories, featuring reporters Ben Urich and Sally Floyd who cover the Civil War from both sides (Iron Man - Urich) and Underground/Cap (Floyd). This is a fantastic look at the non-hero view of things and how the war really affects everyone. The other storyline follows Robbie Baldwin (Speedball) from the discovery he's survived the explosion in Stamford to his incarceration and beyond.

Interspersed are passages supposed to represent the arti
Trebro
Sep 01, 2008 Trebro rated it did not like it
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
I thought Civil War X-Men was bad, but that was before I read this. Jenkins, who longtime friends of mine will recall gave me fits writing "Peter Parker: I Refuse to Show him as Spider-Man", is not one of my favorite writers by any stretch of the imagination. This series shows why.

Amongst the many things wrong: Jonah as a knee-jerk Limbaugh clone, his insistence on everyone calling Speedball "Robbie Baldwin" every few minutes in case we forgot his whole name (no one talks like this, no one at al
star_fire13
Jan 04, 2016 star_fire13 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I didn't like this one as much as the other two. They kept filling it with bits of stuff about other wars from overtime, and other leaders/dictators who thought their ideas were the best ideas.

The main story was about Speedball, one of the New Warriors, going to prison for a bust gone wrong. He and his friends tried busting in a bad guys' hideout, but shit goes down and a bajillion civillians get killed. Speedball is the only survivor, so he get blamed for it all.
Astrid
Dec 20, 2013 Astrid rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The synopsis of this collection had me a bit sceptical, I admit, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it as it doesn't focus on the heroes I love. My thirst for all things Civil War won over, however, and I decided to give this a chance. While it doesn't focus on the heroes at the helm of the conflict over the SHRA, I was pleasantly surprised to find it an engaging read. By using the lens of ordinary civilians, Front Line enriches the storyline, adding depth and gravitas to the superhero confli ...more
Agne
Civil War: Front Line adds more insight to the whole Marvel's Civil War event making it more complicated and meaningful than it seems at the beginning. I liked this story arc MUCH better than the original Mark Millar's Civil War volume, though you should probably read that one first in order to fully appreciate everything that's going on.
Christian
Jan 23, 2016 Christian rated it it was ok
The artwork and colors were nicely done, but the storyline was hard to follow. I thought that I was book #1 of the Civil War series, but I feel like the story picked up in the middle of something that had already begun. I am not that familiar with the Marvel Universe and could probably have used some background information. It might be more enjoyable to go back to once I have more knowledge of the characters.
Arturo
Sep 17, 2013 Arturo rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-civil-war
In Embedded. We get front row seats. Or more like man on the street p.o.v. Of all things Civil War.
From A Personal talk with Sally and Spider-Man. A Clue of Osborn's condition when Green Goblin attacks Urich. Iron man handles a press conference, Prodigy from slingers, and an anti-reg. hero meeting. The 1st midtown battle with the pro and anti-reg. heroes. Ending the volume with Sally in custody for asking too many questions? Knowing too much? 4 stars.
In The Accused. We get Speedball's story. Th
Sarah Hayes
May 04, 2014 Sarah Hayes rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-marvel
The only reason the rating isn't higher is because of those intermixed 'chapters' that tried to mix Marvel with history and iconic poetry. It didn't work for me. That and the quality of the art didn't stay consistent through the entire volume. Some of it was sloppy. But oh my gosh, She-Hulk :D
Danielle T
Apr 28, 2016 Danielle T rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-culture, politics
Genuinely impressive- parallels of the super civil war with conflicts throughout history, plus finding out what exactly happened to the survivor of the Stamford incident (spoiler: it's also got a historical parallel). Also, many parallels with our own divide between privacy and security.
Shannon Johnson
Apr 01, 2015 Shannon Johnson rated it really liked it
This volume had a really interesting side bit where they would take letters or poems from famous conflicts and juxtapose them with the fighting sequences from the superheroes' civil war. It was a really unique take and something very different that I found refreshing and original.
  • Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man
  • Civil War: Black Panther
  • Civil War: Fantastic Four
  • Civil War: Punisher War Journal
  • Civil War (Captain America vol. 5, #5)
  • Civil War: X-Men Universe
  • Civil War: War Crimes
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • House of M: Spider-Man
  • House of M: Civil War
  • Civil War (Marvel Civil War Collection)
  • Civil War: Thunderbolts
Paul Jenkins is a British comic book writer. He has had much success crossing over into the American comic book market. Primarily working for Marvel Comics, he has had a big part shaping the characters of the company over the past decade.
More about Paul Jenkins...

Civil War: Front Line (2 books)
  • Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 2