Start by marking “The Pigs' Picnic” as Want to Read:
The Pigs' Picnic

The Pigs' Picnic

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Mr. Pig is anxious to impress Miss Pig when he goes to invite her to a picnic. On his way he meets some friends who lend him their most outstanding features--the Fox's tail, the Lion's mane, and so on. But then he learns a big lesson about being himself. Full-color illustrations.
Published September 22nd 1988 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Pigs' Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pigs' Picnic

Shauna Ruske
This has been our family's favorite picture book for the last decade. It has a sweet message.
Heather
The Pigs' Picnic is a cute little book about Mr. Pig, who wants to ask Miss Pig to join him on a picnic, but is worried that she won't like him just the way he is. He ends up borrowing a fox's tail, a lion's hair, and a zebra's stripes, but when he reaches Miss Pig's house she doesn't recognize him. Mr. Pig returns all the borrowed accessories and returns to her home, where Miss Pig is happy and relieved to see him.

This was a cute little story for preschoolers to early elementary-aged children a
Lindsay
I love Keiko Kasza's work! I used the Spanish version of The Pigs' Picnic for a Spanish story time program focusing on pigs. The kids and parents loved this story! I told it using felt pieces that were purchased by the library as a book prop.

In this humorous tale, children will learn about self-esteem and being comfortable in their own skin by Mr. Pig's experience being something he is not. When Mr. Pig's friends find out Mr. Pig is going to invite Miss Pig on a picnic, they all suggest he wear
Pam
L recommended this book from reading it in her kindergarten class, and it was good! Love the illustrations - especially the one of the pig "all decked out" in his borrowed things.
Kristen
This book reminded me of what magic sharing a picture book with children can be. When I read it to myself, I thought, "Oh, this is a cute, funny little story about a pig going on a picnic and being silly along the way." When I read it in story time, I had a room full of children who were alternately laughing and enthralled. They LOVED this book--a story for a picnic themed story time. The pig putting on the fox's tail, the lion's mane, and the zebra's stripes was just so completely amusing--it b ...more
Joy
Kasza's books tend to have charming stories and gentle illustrations. This is another example of that. Mr. Pig gets some silly advice from his friends as he attempts to impress Miss Pig, when he should just try to be himself.

The art isn't the most impressive thing ever, but in this context, it works.
Leah
Nice little story about being yourself. Mr. Pig who wants to look his best when asking Miss Pig out on a picnic and take some ill-advised advice from some handsome animals along the way. Bump up the pastel, smaller sized illustrations with a flannel/felt story when sharing in storytime.
Jackie
Trying to look his best for his picnic with Miss Pig results in a absurdity of parts and pieces of other animals. In the end, Pig realizes that being yourself is the best you can be.

Used for "Cheep, Oink, and Moo: Chicken, Pork, and Beef" storytime-April, 2010.

Sydney McClure
This is a funny little story about a pig taking his friends' advice, but it doesn't woo Miss Pig. Younger kids will enjoy the goofiness of Mr.Pig. This could be a teaching moral about listening to our friends' advice.
Carrie
What a great book! Complete with opportunities to wear funny props. :) A funny book about accepting yourself. I also love the book "My Lucky Day" by the same author.
Edna
Mr Pig wants to ask Miss Pig to join him for a picnic but unfortunately he listens to his friends advice about what would really impress a woman.
Carol
I read this one in French "Le Pique-nique des cochons" and found it packed full of inspiration and comedy. Pretty good for a tiny, tiny book!
Natalie
This a short but sweet tale in which Mr. Pig learns that the best way to woo someone is the be yourself.

Marcia
Absolutely hilarious. Makes you laugh out loud.
Alicia
May 13, 2008 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I love the message of this book!
Kevin
Made me laugh so hard I cried.
Najla
Najla marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Marlene Fajardo
Marlene Fajardo marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Shashirekha Gowda
Shashirekha Gowda marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Dsteibel
Dsteibel marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jennifer Baldwin
Jennifer Baldwin marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Lucky Day A Mother for Choco The Wolf's Chicken Stew The Dog Who Cried Wolf Ready for Anything!