Start by marking “Dark of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Dark of the Moon

Dark of the Moon

Caitlyn was an orphaned beauty with no future -- until the rugged outlaw nobleman rescued her from the streets. And now they ride together in the shadows of the night -- on the run from corrupt minions of the law -- emboldened by the exhilarating heat of the chase...and by a love as wild and free as the wind on the moors. Caitlyn has vowed she will never forsake Connor, he ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Avon (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dark of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark of the Moon

Aug 24, 2010 Elle rated it really liked it
Some good humor in this story, about Ireland during the Protestant Ascendancy. Great villain, and the hero here is really a hero, albeit flawed. The heroine is a bit of a stock character (feisty, gorgeous, etc.) but very likable. Good overall read.
Feb 10, 2011 Red rated it liked it
This book was recommended heavily in a thread that had books that had an abuse theme. This is my first Karen Robarbs books.

First I would like to say that the writing style was good. Grammar and spelling was good. I do find it humorous that the older books have better grammar than newer ones.

I truly LOVED Connor as a hero. I think this has been the best hero in any book I have read to date. Strong alpha male but not obnoxious. I could not state one thing about his character that bothered me.

Aug 14, 2011 Sakura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sep 02, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
Too long, I'm afraid. I liked the characters but Caitlyn seemed a very unspecific heroine - beautiful and fiery etc. It felt like too much happened, just one bad luck thing after the other, and by the end I was relieved for it to be over.
Oct 13, 2011 Aletha rated it really liked it
A great "Robin Hood" type book.
Dec 21, 2012 Cem73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, a-p
L'héroïne est une véritable tête à claques au départ à n'en faire qu'à sa tête, mettant ainsi en danger tous ceux qui l'ont sauvé. Heureusement elle se rattrape par la suite.
Quant à Connor (j'adooore les prénoms irlandais!!) , un pure mâle alpha!! Il est juste à tomber raide ... YUMMY :D
May 18, 2012 Trinidad rated it liked it
Shelves: karen-robards
The Author lost Willie! He was one of the main characters in the first six chapters then he disappeared. I think the author forgor about him and that cost this book one star. If you will forget about his character, why didn't you just leave him in Dublin?
May 02, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark of the Moon is brilliantly written. The plot is clever and unpredictable. The twists are like TV show's season finale cliff hangers. This is a book I would forgo sleep to finish.

After the death of her mother, Caitlyn takes to the streets to thieve in order to survive. With a fervent distrust of men, she hides her identity as to not be taken advantage of. With a fiery temper and a steel will she will do whatever it takes to survive. Although the heroine starts out dressing as a boy, this is
Sep 28, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
...Hmm, I think the extra star is just because the hero has black hair and blue eyes. And is Irish.

Did I mention that the hero is Irish?

It was recommended (forced on me) by a friend who's a huge fan of the book. It was alright, I guess. Not bad. The family dynamics were fun to read and the heroine was likeable. Started dragging on for a bit, but still. Oh and the Irish Protestant Ascendancy was interesting as well.

All in all, it was alright. But, then again, maybe I wasn't the right person for i
Kenia Roman
Mar 11, 2013 Kenia Roman rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Really like it but not love it. I was expecting a series about the others but no. It's a shame because the others have sort of power to have their own story anyway. Love the beginning it was funny and frustrating but besides that I pretty much enjoy it except for the very 200 last pages I really was freaking out.
Lindsay Wakefield
Mar 29, 2013 Lindsay Wakefield rated it it was ok
It was a good story one that I didn't know where it was gonna take me. It just wasn't one of my favorites by this author, I just like her more modern stories. It's hard to read stories about long ago when you barely know what it was like at that time.
Dec 24, 2013 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Irish tempers were flared and trading barbs with each other was not uncommon for Caitlyn O'Malley and Connor d'Arcy, in fact Caitlyn had a way of brushing up trouble easily. Caitlyn's gratitude and appreciation flourished into a love so strong she endangered herself and others.

Dark of the Moon had a great sense of family, a strong commitment to love, and passion between its pages sure to capture the interest of the readers. This historical romance book was dramatic in its confrontations and pac
Rondra Tamplin
I liked the book and added a star for the dreaminess of the hero. I can only imagine those eyes! Now. The heroine drove me nuts. It's one thing to be stubborn and set the standard of the way you want to be treated. It is quite another to have the impression of being a brat never growing with the book. EVERYTHING was "I'm not doing it and you can't make me!" I really liked the fact that she was in a bad spot in the beginning as a young girl BUT as her circumstances changed ... she .. er... didn't ...more
Regan Walker
Mar 03, 2014 Regan Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
A Very Worthy Hero but a Different Irish Romance

I should say at the outset that I’m a huge fan of Karen Robards historical romances and many of them grace my best lists. This one is interesting because of its plot detour in the middle.

Set in Ireland, beginning in 1784, this is the story of Caitlyn O’Malley who, at 15, has lived on the streets of Dublin disguised as a lad for so long, she no longer sees herself as a girl. When she tries to pick the pocket of Connor d’Arcy, Earl of Iveagh, an Iris
Jun 22, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
My most common refrain: This could have been so much better! But it kept flopping back and forth between a good read and a huge eyeroll.

I liked the scrappy heroine at first. I liked the commanding but caring hero. But then I realized the heroine was 15, and the hero initially took on the role of father figure to her -- even as far as spanking her AND explaining menstruation to her. And then I'm expected to go for the idea of them getting it on? That took a lot to get past. And although the heroi
Dec 25, 2014 Bj rated it it was amazing
*I gave this book an A- for the story and A for the narration at AudioGals*

Dark of the Moon, released in audio format this past April, carries an original 1988 print publication date. I haven’t read a lot of romances written in that time period but this one thoroughly impressed me with its attention to detail and character development. In fact, it’s one of the first longer length audiobooks that I have listened to (about 14 hours), where I actually believed that nearly every minute was essential
Liezl Jade
Jun 16, 2014 Liezl Jade rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am a suckah for historical romance and this story just blew my mind. I sort of teared at one point and I don't usually do that! Robards characters are unforgettable. I highly recommend this book to anyone who have interests in theives, action, and most importantly a developing love story!
Jun 22, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Karen Robards, but some of her newer books (Charlie Stone series and Hunted) are so full of adjectives that they are getting on my nerves. This book is a historical that was published a few years back and is well written. I loved Conner even though he could be a little rough. Caitlyn was strong willed even though she caused a few of her own problems. I liked the characters and enjoyed the book from beginning to end. Worth reading.
Jul 19, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Disguised as a boy, Caitlyn O'Malley picks pockets on the streets of Dublin to survive. One day she is caught by Connor d'Arcy who instead of turning her in to the authorities, takes her to his home in the countryside to live with him and his brothers. As years go by Caitlyn's feelings for Connor grow, but he still thinks of her as a child under his protection. When she discovers Connor and his brothers are posing as highwaymen, robbing rich Englishmen and giving their bounty to the poor Irish, ...more
Oct 30, 2014 Tracyh rated it really liked it
This book moved VERY slowly at times. I listened to it on CD so I just fast forwarded it often. If I had to hear about Conner's aqua eyes one more time... After saying that, I ended up liking it very much. I grew a little tired of the spats Caitlyn kept having with everyone too.
Anna Mcfadden
Aug 18, 2015 Anna Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
Catlin is a orphaned beauty, Conner is an rugged outlaw nobleman who took her in off the streets of Dublin gave her a home but in order to keep him safe she will do anything she can even if it means lying bout loving someone else and being their mistress.
María Olvera
De hecho estoy algo confusa respecto al libro. La primera mitad me gustó mucho, por la forma en que los personajes conviven y en general por el rumbo de la historia. Luego el amor entre Caitlyn y es que estuviera mal, sólo es que tenía un aire extraño. No sé cómo explicarme, me gustó que de alguna manera nada cambiara entre ellos, porque no hay nada peor que el hecho de un par de personajes que se van al traste con tal de que se enamoren. Pero también por eso se me hizo extraño, como ...more
I have mixed feelings about this book, and it's one I should have loved a lot more since there are so many elements I usually enjoy in older HRs - hunky hero (albeit a bit hot-tempered), and a Robin Hood like hero at that. The problem is the heroine is such a brat for the first half of the book and worse yet is the kind that stomps her feet and does what she wants to her detriment and endangers others. Oh well, she got a hard lesson in life when that back-fired, but I still didn't care for her m ...more
Wendelyn Wilkes

Not my favorite Karen Robards' historical novel, but enjoyed the plot and characters. Set in Protestant dominated Ireland, this is a story about the main characters, Catholics, both high and low born, and how they existed. Romance, suspense, and an interesting historical setting, make reading this story worth your time.
Cindy Woods
Jan 05, 2016 Cindy Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definite five-star book

This is a really good book despite typos and grammatical errors. The writing and plot make up for those errors. It is romantic, interesting, exciting, political, sensuality, sad, funny, sweet.....just a really good book which I HIGHLY recommend. I found it so good I had a hard time putting it down. Loved this story and the characters, including secondary characters, were done very well.
Gale Ann
Long romance with a very frustrating heroine for the first half of the story. The hero was wonderful. I got thrown by the anachronistic use of the word electricity when describing the leading lady's hair after brushing. This story is set in the mid 18th century primarily in Ireland with the latter 25% in London.
Feb 18, 2016 Shelly rated it it was ok
2.5. This book was just okay. The beginning started very slow for me. It got better as the book went on, but I found both main characters annoying, especially Caitlyn. I did enjoy Connor's brothers and his relationship with them.
sandra rubin
Feb 12, 2016 sandra rubin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**********]]******************************************** \ *************************************************

******************************************************************************************** ****************** ************************* ********] ********* ****** *********************** ******************* ******** ********* ****** ****** ***** **** ****** ***** ***************** ***** ******** *****
Jul 13, 2016 Eli rated it it was amazing
"Тъмна луна" е роман, в който основната тема е любовта. Вечната, силната, изгарящата, влудяващата, това е тя - любовта.
Никой не знае какво му е приготвила съдбата, докато не се срещне с нея. Главната героиня не мечтае за любов, а само за храна и подслон. Но в живота нищо не се дава даром!
На книгата попаднах случайно. Купих си я заедно с едно списание и не съжалявам. Романът е много увлекателен. Не можех да спра да чета. Действието се развива през целия сюжет и няма скучни страници, от които да
May 10, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
Caitlyn has disguised herself as a boy and roams the streets of Ireland as a thief and pickpocket. when she picks the pocked to Connor, he catcher her, but instead of turning her in, he takes her and her friend to his estate to work honorably. Connor has a secret, at night he rides the highways robbing from the ric to help the poor Irish. when he discovers Caitlyn's secret, sparks begin to fly.
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED! Heroine in disguise... 4 30 Apr 26, 2016 03:33AM
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Shadow Dance
  • Forever After
  • Wings of a Dove
  • Vanity (V, #7)
  • Creole Fires (Southern, #1)
  • To Seduce A Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • Once an Heiress (Once A..., #2)
  • My Wicked Enchantress
  • Chase the Wind (Wind, #1)
  • Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)
  • Upon a Moon-Dark Moor (Chandlers of Highclyffe Hall, #1)
  • Lily
  • The Deception
  • Dark Fires (Bragg Saga, #4)
  • The Rogue and the Hellion (Rogue Trilogy #1)
  • Shadow Play
  • Tempted
Karen was born in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, when she was 24. It was published by Leisure Books in 1981 and is still in print. After that, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today she is a regular on the New ...more
More about Karen Robards...