Start by marking “Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #2)

Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick Mystery #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,130 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Sometimes it seems that murder and mayhem follow Jeff Resnick, challenging his psychic sense to solve crimes. This time, Jeff tries to find the murderer of a bartender before another life is taken. Jeff's older brother decides to tag along.
Published June 1st 2008 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Dead in Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in Red

Jeanie Jackson
Excellent mystery. I like the psychic touch but I would follow the series without it. Well written with strong characters. More than cozy romance, less than terrifying suspense. This series falls into the perfect niche for me.
Lorna Barrett
Jun 03, 2010 Lorna Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, I wrote it -- albeit under the name L.L. Bartlett. Why wouldn't I love it?

Booklist said: “Bartlett’s hero is complicated and mesmerizing, making for a gripping and energizing mystery.” (I can send you the whole review if you like.)

Library Journal said, “Bartlett has a deft touch and makes psychic abilities very real.”
Joanne
Dec 14, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this second book in the Jeff Resnick mysteries down! I'd give it 4 1/2 stars for plot and holding my interest!

Jeff is trying to piece his life back together after suffering a brain injury during a mugging that gave him some psychic ability, a gift he previously used to solve a murder in his hometown of Buffalo. This time he is sitting in his favorite bar when he gets a "flash" of a red high-heeled shoe. When the bartender tells him that his cousin and former bartender has been mur
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this is a really good series. I liked this book slightly more than the last. Ms. Bartlett's writing is refreshing, there are hardly, if any, of those "fluff" paragraphs that I usually skim over. I'm going to start another of her series, to see if the style carries over.

I like Jeff and the way he relates to the other people in his life. The storyline and even the whole psychic ability seem very real and believable.

I still have that feeling of wanting more . . . maybe more of a connection,
Nancy
Lynne Tull
Feb 21, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The continuing thread of the life of the main character, Jeff Resnick, is the main reason I will keep reading this series. The mystery of the particular installment of the series is secondary to me. It is a formula and I can pretty much tell what is going to happen next. However, the underlying story of the relationship of Jeff, his brother, his brother's fiance, and her friend keeps me guessing. I want to find out what happens next. See what you think!
Linda
Jan 03, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Jeff Resnick is overtaken by his psychic powers when he has visions of a red shoe and bloody hands. As he is drawn into the death of a man he did not know he again enlists the aid of his brother Richard. Both are in great danger while they pursue the murderer and they know it. Jeff tries to hold down a part-time job at a bar while Richard is getting ready to be married and yet they still need to solve this crime first.

Amy
Jun 29, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff looks into the murder of bartender Walt Kaplan. He sees a vision of a high heeled red sequined shoe. He uncovers Walt's well hidden secrets and things that were overlooked by the police. Also finding ties between Walt and a friend of his brother Richard.
A clever mystery with lots of suspects and a plot that makes this a real page turner!
Karolyn
Jan 03, 2016 Karolyn added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to everyone.
The Jeff Resnick Mysteries .... This was an Audio Book.

Sometimes it seems like murder and mayhem follow Jeff Resnick, challenging his psychic "sixth sense" to solve crimes. Since the vicious mugging that changed his life, he's tried to keep his unwanted gift in check. But when a bartender at his favorite watering hole is murdered, visions of a sparkling red woman's high-heeled shoe and a pair of bloody hands linger in his mind--and hit too close to home. When Jeff's older brother, Richard, last
Ksb Nh
Mar 18, 2015 Ksb Nh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as appealing as the first in the series. I do enjoy that Jeff R is psychic.
Shirley Worley
Sep 04, 2014 Shirley Worley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book every bit as much as the first in the series. The plot takes Jeff and his brother Richard into the secret and hidden life of a murder victim. The victim's secret life leads Jeff to suspect Richard's former classmate, follow the trail of a red sequinned stiletto, and numerous gay bars. The characters are very interesting and I like the true to life relationship between the brothers. The surprise appearances of Sophie add a special touch. It was a quick read, because I simply could ...more
I really enjoy this series from L.L. Bartlett, and not just because it's set in my home town of Buffalo, NY. Actually, that part is a little distracting for me, especially the juxtaposition of real places with the ones Ms. Bartlett has created for her story and the repurposing of buildings and places as something else entirely. Honestly, if your aren't from the area, or only vaguely familiar with it it wouldn't bother you, but every so often it disrupts the narrative for me. Occasionally, it cra ...more
Marcia Witherspoon
Nothing special but a good read

If you're a fan of good mystery novels you'll enjoy this book. I especially like the suspense and the characters involved. The relationship between the brothers adds to the story in a good way. I would recommend to friends and family. I haven't been disappointed in any of her books and look forward to reading more of her work.
Jessi
Psychic investigator Jeff Resnick is back in a book where he's dealing with the death of a bartender at his local watering hole. And his investigations overlap with his brother's past in the form of one of his ex-girlfriends. All Jeff has to start with is a flash of a red shoe.
Not as good as the first one but a fast and easy read.
Michele
May 11, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the series. I will continue with the series as I really enjoy knowing exactly what they are referring to when they mention places around Amherst. Again a very easy read. Murderer was known early on, but how to prove it was the catch. Some may not like knowing who the murderer is before the last minute
Christy Kelly
Apr 10, 2016 Christy Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Resnick is a great character and his brother is his equal. It's like peeling an onion reading these books, it just gets more and more surprising and interesting. (Run on sentences are my speciality.) Will add more later.
Jean
Aug 17, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read!

Second in a series, Jeff has returned to Buffalo, NY to live with his brother and fiancé, following a brain injury during a mugging. This has provided him with a sixth sense concerning murder.
Debbie Stephens
Mar 26, 2014 Debbie Stephens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery. I really have gotten into the main character Jeff Resnick. It adds to the suspense and intrigue. Kept me turning the pages, couldn't ' wait to see what would happen next.

I have purchased and am ready for book #3.
Michael Brown
Type print was painfull to read. Characters not likeable and story very poor compared to most by this author. Another quick read as I was up all night Sat to Sun morn
Mike
Jun 30, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book after reading the first in this series. I have to say this was terrific. Sometimes when you get a look at the second in a series of books it tends to start falling flat, same as with movie sequels but this book was fantastic.
The story picks up a few months after the last one left off at and all the characters' personalities, experiences kept growing; they didn't just stay in the same spot, doing the same things as in the first book. This is how you write a series of books; ch
V
Sep 09, 2015 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Jeff would be getting over his headaches and his guilt. Guess those will continue through the series so I may just stop at this book.
Ronald L. Bell
Aug 16, 2015 Ronald L. Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead in red

Great book
Can't wait to see what happens next
Jeff and Richard are complex characters. Will be getting next book
CATHYENGLISH
Dead in Red

A letdown after reading Murder on Mind. Slower moving and much less witt. Still a good read and plot is good.

Morgan Inman
Jul 09, 2015 Morgan Inman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

This book was just as good as the first one. Immediately buying book 3. I just can't get enough!!!!!! I'm in love with everything about this series.
Lee
Sep 01, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll let you know tomorrow; I finished the first book in 1 day. We'll see if I can do the same with this one. Addendum: I finished this book a few days ago; I forgot to update my ratings and will do so now. I really am in deep like with this author's writing style. I like this 2nd installment of the Jeff Resnick series as much as I was presently surprised by the 1st book. I have already purchased the 3rd but have yet to start to read it(I HAVE to read James Rollins Bloodlines). I will dare to sa ...more
Denise
Aug 16, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable but the psychic piece made it a little more interesting. I pretty much had the killer figured out half way through the book though.
Melissa Williams
Jul 03, 2015 Melissa Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy his books. Always intriguing! !!
Roger
Oct 22, 2014 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I =noyes it. the author does a go on for job of holding your interest with the visions. and situations.
Evelyn
Apr 12, 2015 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-to-speech
Story keeps my interest.
Misty Sizemore beeson
Jul 27, 2014 Misty Sizemore beeson rated it really liked it
really like this series so far.
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2)
  • Angel Interrupted
  • Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #6)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Darkscope
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Esposito Series Books Box Set (Esposito Mysteries #1-3)
  • The Venetian Empire: A Sea Voyage
  • Mountain Rampage (National Park Mystery, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7)
  • Frozen Solid
  • Stolen Hearts (A Grace Street Mystery, #1)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • The Touch
  • Dukkha: The Suffering
The immensely popular Booktown Mystery series is what put Lorraine Bartlett’s pen name Lorna Barrett on the New York Times Bestseller list, but it’s her talent -- whether writing as Lorna, or L.L. Bartlett, or Lorraine Bartlett -- that keeps her there. This multi-published, Agatha-nominated author pens the exciting Jeff Resnick Mysteries as well as the acclaimed Victoria Square Mystery series, and ...more
More about L.L. Bartlett...

Jeff Resnick Mystery (10 books)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Room at the Inn (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #3)
  • Cheated by Death (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #4)
  • Bound by Suggestion (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #5)
  • Dark Waters (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #6)
  • Evolution: Jeff Resnick's Back Story