Start by marking “Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #2)
Preview

Dead in Red (Jeff Resnick #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  882 ratings  ·  80 reviews
A Jeff Resnick Mystery:

From BOOKLIST: Bartlett presents her second supernatural mystery featuring Jeff Resnick, a down-and-out insurance investigator who acquired hard-to-control psychic powers after sustaining brain injuries in a mugging. Jeff is now living with his brother, Richard, in Buffalo. Better but still weak, Jeff is struggling to adjust to his strange new abilit
Published June 1st 2008 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Dead in Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in Red

Jeanie Jackson
Excellent mystery. I like the psychic touch but I would follow the series without it. Well written with strong characters. More than cozy romance, less than terrifying suspense. This series falls into the perfect niche for me.
Lorna Barrett
Hey, I wrote it -- albeit under the name L.L. Bartlett. Why wouldn't I love it?

Booklist said: “Bartlett’s hero is complicated and mesmerizing, making for a gripping and energizing mystery.” (I can send you the whole review if you like.)

Library Journal said, “Bartlett has a deft touch and makes psychic abilities very real.”
Joanne
I couldn't put this second book in the Jeff Resnick mysteries down! I'd give it 4 1/2 stars for plot and holding my interest!

Jeff is trying to piece his life back together after suffering a brain injury during a mugging that gave him some psychic ability, a gift he previously used to solve a murder in his hometown of Buffalo. This time he is sitting in his favorite bar when he gets a "flash" of a red high-heeled shoe. When the bartender tells him that his cousin and former bartender has been mur
Stephanie
So far this is a really good series. I liked this book slightly more than the last. Ms. Bartlett's writing is refreshing, there are hardly, if any, of those "fluff" paragraphs that I usually skim over. I'm going to start another of her series, to see if the style carries over.

I like Jeff and the way he relates to the other people in his life. The storyline and even the whole psychic ability seem very real and believable.

I still have that feeling of wanting more . . . maybe more of a connection,
Nancy
Lynne Tull
The continuing thread of the life of the main character, Jeff Resnick, is the main reason I will keep reading this series. The mystery of the particular installment of the series is secondary to me. It is a formula and I can pretty much tell what is going to happen next. However, the underlying story of the relationship of Jeff, his brother, his brother's fiance, and her friend keeps me guessing. I want to find out what happens next. See what you think!
Linda
Once again Jeff Resnick is overtaken by his psychic powers when he has visions of a red shoe and bloody hands. As he is drawn into the death of a man he did not know he again enlists the aid of his brother Richard. Both are in great danger while they pursue the murderer and they know it. Jeff tries to hold down a part-time job at a bar while Richard is getting ready to be married and yet they still need to solve this crime first.

Shirley Worley
Loved this book every bit as much as the first in the series. The plot takes Jeff and his brother Richard into the secret and hidden life of a murder victim. The victim's secret life leads Jeff to suspect Richard's former classmate, follow the trail of a red sequinned stiletto, and numerous gay bars. The characters are very interesting and I like the true to life relationship between the brothers. The surprise appearances of Sophie add a special touch. It was a quick read, because I simply could ...more
I really enjoy this series from L.L. Bartlett, and not just because it's set in my home town of Buffalo, NY. Actually, that part is a little distracting for me, especially the juxtaposition of real places with the ones Ms. Bartlett has created for her story and the repurposing of buildings and places as something else entirely. Honestly, if your aren't from the area, or only vaguely familiar with it it wouldn't bother you, but every so often it disrupts the narrative for me. Occasionally, it cra ...more
Jessi
Psychic investigator Jeff Resnick is back in a book where he's dealing with the death of a bartender at his local watering hole. And his investigations overlap with his brother's past in the form of one of his ex-girlfriends. All Jeff has to start with is a flash of a red shoe.
Not as good as the first one but a fast and easy read.
Michele
Second in the series. I will continue with the series as I really enjoy knowing exactly what they are referring to when they mention places around Amherst. Again a very easy read. Murderer was known early on, but how to prove it was the catch. Some may not like knowing who the murderer is before the last minute
Debbie Stephens
Great mystery. I really have gotten into the main character Jeff Resnick. It adds to the suspense and intrigue. Kept me turning the pages, couldn't ' wait to see what would happen next.

I have purchased and am ready for book #3.
Michael A
Type print was painfull to read. Characters not likeable and story very poor compared to most by this author. Another quick read as I was up all night Sat to Sun morn
Mike
I picked this book after reading the first in this series. I have to say this was terrific. Sometimes when you get a look at the second in a series of books it tends to start falling flat, same as with movie sequels but this book was fantastic.
The story picks up a few months after the last one left off at and all the characters' personalities, experiences kept growing; they didn't just stay in the same spot, doing the same things as in the first book. This is how you write a series of books; ch
CATHYENGLISH
Dead in Red

A letdown after reading Murder on Mind. Slower moving and much less witt. Still a good read and plot is good.

Ksb Nh
Not as appealing as the first in the series. I do enjoy that Jeff R is psychic.
Lee
I'll let you know tomorrow; I finished the first book in 1 day. We'll see if I can do the same with this one. Addendum: I finished this book a few days ago; I forgot to update my ratings and will do so now. I really am in deep like with this author's writing style. I like this 2nd installment of the Jeff Resnick series as much as I was presently surprised by the 1st book. I have already purchased the 3rd but have yet to start to read it(I HAVE to read James Rollins Bloodlines). I will dare to sa ...more
Roger
I =noyes it. the author does a go on for job of holding your interest with the visions. and situations.
Evelyn
Story keeps my interest.
Misty Sizemore beeson
really like this series so far.
Jeffrey
Enjoyable. Ellicotville is a neat small town, wish they spent more time there.

Good to see all four characters involved. Love the new job for Jeff at the bar.

Not sure I really get Sophie (or is it Sophia)?

But, a good story that takes you into the drag queen scene in some interesting ways. Fast moving, not real deep. Good reading for a winter day
Peggy
This is the second in the Jeff Resnick series about a former insurance investigator who was almost killed in a brutal mugging. No longer able to work his head injuries have left him with some unexplainable psychic abilities. Along with his half-brother, Jeff reluctantly uses his new found "gift" (or curse) to solve crimes. This is a good read. Not only is it a good plot, Jeff is a sympathetic protagonist as he struggles to deal with his physical, emotional, and psychic circumstances.
Richard
Murder Mystery/Suspense/Paranormal Thriller.
Good stuff!
5 stars.
Mary
Pretty interesting twist on the murder mystery. Main character has some psychic ability after a brutal mugging. He was a private investigator and now he works at a bar part-time when his migraines and other effects of the attack let him. He has visions of the person in question and it helps him solve the case, but it leads the reader down a twisty road. This is a series I'll continue to read.
Jeanne
I really enjoyed this book. It's the second book in the series about Jeff Resnick. I have bought the rest of the series based on the last two books. I enjoy the slight paranormal influences that are brought up, but the mystery is solved by good old fashioned leg work. Bartlett's writing keeps me very interested and always wanting more. An excellent mystery series.
Jill
I love these books. I found the first one because it was free, this wasn't free, but it was cheap, so I bought the whole series. Jeff Resnick is a great character. He is a damaged person with many issues, but he wants to help when he can. Using his pyschic gifts he helps to solve murders with the help of his rich and bored doctor brother. Great!
Carol Larmon
I didn't like this story as much as the first in the series, I found it too repetitive, mentioning his accident that led to Jeff's paranormal ability as a crime solver, his brother's previous injury etc. However,the underlying story of murder, Jeff's relationships with his brother, his brother's fiance, and her friend keeps me going.
Jere
Interesting that Jeff having visions of things wasn't able to help keep him and his family safe. The posibility of getting AIDS is just part of working in the medical field. No big deal. Really? Jeff treats the gays in the book with kindness being an outsider himself, although I didn't care much for the subject matter.
Leslie
Shallow character development really killed this book for me. The style is quick and simple, which makes this a page-turner that one doesn't have to think too hard about, but a little more care could have been taken to ensure that the reader is connected to the protagonists and and is interested in their fates.
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Scottish Rite
  • Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #6)
  • Desolate Angel
  • Silver Justice
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • Grannies, Guns and Ghosts (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuth Mystery, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7)
  • Retirement Can Be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #1)
  • The Missing Element (James Becker, #2)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Mistletoe Mix-Up
  • All Acts of Pleasure (A Rowan Gant Investigation #7)
  • Cut Loose (Dusty Deals Mystery #2)
  • Knights and Knaves (Bright and Fletcher, #3)
The immensely popular Booktown Mystery series is what put Lorraine Bartlett’s pen name Lorna Barrett on the New York Times Bestseller list, but it’s her talent -- whether writing as Lorna, or L.L. Bartlett, or Lorraine Bartlett -- that keeps her there. This multi-published, Agatha-nominated author pens the exciting Jeff Resnick Mysteries as well as the acclaimed Victoria Square Mystery series, and ...more
More about L.L. Bartlett...

Jeff Resnick (6 books)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Cheated by Death (Jeff Resnick, #3)
  • Bound by Suggestion (Jeff Resnick, #4)
  • Room at the Inn (Jeff Resnick, #5)
  • Dark Waters (Jeff Resnick, #6)
Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1) Cheated by Death (Jeff Resnick, #3) Room at the Inn (Jeff Resnick, #5) Abused Cold Case (Jeff Resnick, #3.75)