Start by marking “Baby Brother's Blues” as Want to Read:
Baby Brother's Blues

Baby Brother's Blues (West End #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,125 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
When Regina Burns married Blue Hamilton, she knew he was no ordinary man. A charismatic R&B singer who gave up his career to assume responsibility for the safety of Atlanta’s West End community, Blue had created an African American urban oasis where crime and violence were virtually nonexistent. In the beginning, Regina enjoyed a circle of engaging friends and her own ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Brother's Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Brother's Blues

Melissa Andrews
Dec 16, 2008 Melissa Andrews rated it it was ok
This book tried to cover so many topics: inner-city violence, politics, single parenthood, girls-who-have-to-turn-to-stripping-to-survive, renegades, men-on-the-DL, light-skinned-blacks-who-take-advantage-of-the-race, corrupt cops. It was a lot - probably too much.

I couldn't get into the whole past lives thing, nor could I buy into the idea of vigilante justice; however, I loved the idea of West End. My dilemma is: is it okay for us to kill someone who killed or raped or stole? What about restit
Tracy Darity
Sep 10, 2011 Tracy Darity rated it liked it
Baby Bother’s Blues by Pearl Cleage is the third in the West End series. I have not read the second book in the series because when I picked up Some Things I Never Thought I Would Do, along with Baby Brother’s Blues, I did not know they were part of a series. When you love an authors’ work you tend to bypass the synopsis because you will read anything by them. Pearl Cleage is one of those authors for me.

Baby Brother’s Blues picks up two years after Some Things I Never Thought I Would Do ends. Th
Apr 04, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok
As a fan of Pearl Cleague this book was a resounding disappointment. It seemed to be a thinly disguised bit of propaganda for the authors viewpoint rather than an enjoyable or enlightening work of fiction.
Jun 12, 2009 Tasha rated it did not like it
From start to finish I struggled with this book. Honestly I read it two weeks ago and all I can remember is skipping through to pages to get to the end. Funny thing is, I did not feel as if I missed any important parts.
As I write this I still cannot remember the plot behind this novel. Very sad because I hear Cleage is a great author. This is on my do not recommend list unfortuantely.
Mar 23, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, black-fiction
Yea. This is probably my least favorite Cleage book. It's not that she doesn't do a great job, it's that it craps on parts of the "Some Things..." and I hated that. I'm not a person that needs everything to be happy but come on.

I would have liked this better if I hadn't been coming off the high of the first one.
Jun 23, 2016 Madlyn rated it really liked it
This was the first time I had read one of Pearl Cleage's books and the story held my attention for endless hours. The anticipation I felt whoever I start listening to each characters storyline. Drugs, corruption, sex, murder and lies were implicated in this story. In reality-just to see how I would feel, I would love to meet a dark skin blue eye man like Blue. Some of the characters in the book were insignificant really was a filler to stretch a scene. I didn't like the ending of Blue's story. I ...more
Mocha Girl
Oct 12, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it really liked it
Pearl Cleage returns to the West End of Atlanta, the crime-free utopia where ex-crooner Blue Hamilton and trusty sidekick, General Richardson, keep the peace ala "Godfather" vigilante style. Fans were first introduced to Blue, his wife, Regina, and other West End residents in Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do and Babylon Sisters.

In Baby Brother's Blues, we meet Wes Jamerson aka Baby Brother, an Army deserter who breezes into the West End in a stolen car in search of Zora, an anti-war coed he m
Aug 14, 2012 Arzella rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-to-z
I forgot that I already knew Pearl Cleage. I was reading the book and I kept telling my friend that it sounds like "What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day". That said, it is a different story. Pearl Cleage just creates the same kind of peace in a novel with her word choices.

Baby Brother's Blues: A Novel, tackles many of the social issues faced in Black America. It doesn't however, hit you over the head with warnings and proverbs. It simply gives you a 360 view of the issues and the people invo
Mar 17, 2010 Nakia rated it it was ok
This book was very interesting. Gangsters, politicians, police, businessmen, strippers, college students, cheating husbands, ungrateful wives, and a modern day Robin Hood, all living in a small section of Atlanta, and thrown into the pot together. What happens when a degenerate, selfish, army deserter who will do anything to get what he wants, enters their domain? It all can be found in this book.

I've always loved how Pearl Cleage can weave a story together filled with lessons on how the negativ
Lady Z
Cleage creates characters with such depth, their interactions and entwined story lines make the Baby Brother's Blues a meaty, engrossing work that draws the reader into their world. Once we were introduced to Kwame and came to know the intricacies of his life, you just knew there would be trouble. But I never expected the seemingly inescapable dilemma he was eventually faced with. This one is worth reading.
Nicole Whitley
Jun 10, 2016 Nicole Whitley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the lives of Blue, Regina, and the General and their desire to keep the West End section of Atlanta safe for the community. Apparently, it is a sequel. I didn't read the prior book so I'm not sure how it relates to this one. The book starts off slow but ends with a dramatic and satisfying ending.
Apr 21, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Should have read this one first between SEEN IT ALL AND DONE THE REST but oh well. The first story that takes place in Atlanta's West End-- a decent Black community that is taken care of by Blue Hamilton, a protector. This story has many layers, domestic violence by returning vets from Iraq, political corruption, drugs, men on the down low, neighborhood crime (home invasions) and those that cleaned up when the answer was not so easy.

Pearl Cleage puts in all together beautiful and creates a stor
Nicole Sharon
Apr 08, 2016 Nicole Sharon rated it liked it
A whole lot going on. Overkill. Pun intended.
Jan 25, 2015 Teaguem2005 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I didn't enjoy this installment quite as much as the previous but enjoy the storyline just the same. "Brothers" Blue & General have a true heart to heart about truths and trust that can never be reversed. Peachy & Abbie come to an understanding. Kwame speaks his truths with a little boost from a newcomer to the West End. Facing truths and consequences is something everyone has to do at some point and the author makes certain there is a balance politically, personally, & pr ...more
Britni Danielle
Nov 22, 2014 Britni Danielle rated it it was ok
I wanted to love it because I love several of Pearl Cleage's other books, but this one had too many story lines, characters, and plots. I finished it, but it wasn't easy.
Jan 15, 2008 Deanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
The sequel to “Somethings I thought I’d never do.” Great book. She goes into much more depth about all of the characters including Aunt Abbie, Peachy, Aretha and Senator Hargrove. She introduces new characters including Baby Brother. The book is amazing. There was a small dry spell in the middle but it was necessary to build up to the ending. If you loved the first book, you will love this one.
Apr 30, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
This book was just okay. I found that there was a lot of different story lines, and a lot of new characters that weren't in the previous novels. I enjoyed the previous novels from this series, and I will continue reading because I do enjoy the main characters: Blue, Regina, Precious Hargrove, et al. The ending was a bit of a shock. Not a bad read, but the not the best out of the series.
Apr 26, 2008 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Reginia is a sister that has hit rock bottom but in her darkest moment she finds herself and love. I absolutely loved the spiritual element of this book. I fell in love with Blue amilton who in the words of Dead Prez is "Revolutionary but Gangsta." We also meet up with one of the young ladies in the Sewing Circle form What Looks Like Crazy!
Oct 14, 2009 Mayema rated it really liked it
I listened to the book read by the author, it started out with a good plot line, but as the story progressed there were too many plots to keep them all exciting and interesting. The characters were more like six degrees of separtion, and the end was not what I expected. It was more of a fade away than a true ending.
Aug 13, 2014 Darlene rated it liked it
There were several storylines in this book that all came together at the end. It did help to complete the first book "Somethings I never Thought I'd Do". Cleage never fails to keep the reader interested. In moving towards the end of the book, I couldn't put the book down.
Jul 11, 2007 Carmela rated it it was ok
For me, this book really highlighted the depravity of men as a whole. It was all about the worst parts of MAN - and not like humankind man, but like MALES. It left me with very little faith in men. It was sad. The wonderful Pearl Cleage should have kept this story to herself.
Jill Bates-moore
Jan 23, 2008 Jill Bates-moore rated it really liked it
Good, easy read. It would have gotten five stars, except that I recall being annoyed that Regina's character wasn't a strong figure in the book. The male characters are well developed, but Regina's character development felt somewhat stunted.
Ade Oluyemisi
Jun 30, 2013 Ade Oluyemisi rated it it was amazing
This book makes me want to know more about Blue. Love that Pearl Cleage address the issues that are faced in this book. Would love to say more but let me say this, there is strength in facing the truth of who you are on the inside at the core.
Feb 21, 2011 Carl rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-2010
So so book that explores the dynamic of an African American community. At times, it panders to expected plot twists and does not really allow the characters to break out of roles we have seen before. This is an enjoyable summer read.
Jul 28, 2009 Erika rated it liked it
It was ok. I listened to this one and it was read by the author. She was an interesting reader. There were some shocking parts, but the ending was rather anticlimatic because she introduced so many characters and then they disappeared.
Jun 24, 2008 Cha rated it it was ok
an easy read. the idea of a safe zone in the inner-city is intriguing but not believable. i do like the fact that all of the characters are multi-dimensional,i.e. none are perfect, except Blue, of course. I kinda don't like him.
Pamela Greer
Dec 18, 2008 Pamela Greer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a good story centering on Atlanta and bringing in characters from many of the early novels of Ms. Cleage. She focuses on corruption in government, the afterlife, the war in Iraq and much more. good read.
Jun 19, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it
Creative -- the way she wove in the "past lives" storyline without ever committing either way (it's true/not true). The characeters were crisply drawn and the read fun. Who doesn't love -- and fear -- Blue?
A. Jones
Jan 14, 2013 A. Jones rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story (Ms. Cleage can tell a great story), but I was disappointed. I wanted more on the relationship between Blue and Regina. :( The General's storyline was magnificent.
Jun 22, 2014 Danelle rated it it was amazing
Soooo GOOD, from beginning to end. I loved Savoring every page
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • You Know Better: A Novel
  • Rosie's Curl And Weave
  • Carl Weber Presents: Full Figured 6
  • Can't Get Enough
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Mary B. Morrison Bundle: Soulmates Dissipate / Never Again Once More / Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #1-2, 8)
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl Cl
More about Pearl Cleage...

West End (5 books)