Start by marking “La Vendee” as Want to Read:
La Vendee

La Vendee

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  6 reviews
What, Santerre said Marie, shuddering. "Oh he is a most horrid monster It was he that led out our dear sainted King to be murdered; it was he that urged on the furious mob to spill so much blood. They say that in all Paris there is not a greater wretch than this Santerre."
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1850)

To ask other readers questions about La Vendee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Vendee

Surreysmum
A major change of scene for Trollope, and set in a (fairly recent) historical epoch - the French Revolution. The chapters on Robespierre in the late stages of the novel are very interesting in that they underscore Trollope's own insight (from his autobiography) that he has difficulty making characters - or character types - into out-and-out villains.

I did not find his characters as memorable as in his Irish novels, likely because he was feeling constrianed by the fact that most of them were hist
Margaret
I have got to Trollope's third novel in my ongoing Trollope-read, and unfortunately, I can see why it's little-known. It's a historical romance, set during the French revolution, and unfortunately, it's not a good genre for him (I don't think he ever wrote in it again). The characters are rather stereotypical (virtuous rebel aristocrats, evil revolutionaries, simple peasants), not as richly drawn as in later Trollope, though I did like his thoughtful (though short) portrayal of Robespierre.

Ther
David
Trollope's third novel and his only attempt at historical fiction. It is set principally in la Vendee, in west central France on the Bay of Biscay, where a pro-royalty, pro-church revolt took place in response to the revolution. As Trollope notes in his introduction, the book is based in large point on the Memoirs of Madame de la Rochejaquelein. Like his first two novels, La Vendee met with no success to speak of, but Trollope will soon turn to his native England as a setting, where he will find ...more
Terry Cook
As usual with Trollope it was an easy read put lacked the subtlety and nuance of his later novels.

This is the book Trollope wrote before The Warden and one has to say the improvement from this to that is significant to say the least. The Vendee is an historical novel set in revolutionary France. The characters are either good or bad, or in one case good bad and then good again, and as a modern reader I found difficulty in feeling any real sympathy for any of them.

SHERRY REGAN
SHERRY REGAN marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Laurie Pepper
Laurie Pepper marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
TaniaRina
TaniaRina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Heather dennis
Heather dennis marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Carrol
Carrol marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Zippy
Zippy is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2013
Mandy
Mandy added it
Sep 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Exploring Anthony...: La Vendee 2 3 Dec 18, 2013 07:09PM
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...
Barchester Towers The Way We Live Now The Warden Phineas Finn (Palliser, #2) Can You Forgive Her? (Palliser, #1)