The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis

The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In almost all critical writings on the horror film, woman is conceptualised only as victim. In The Monstrous-Feminine Barbara Creed challenges this patriarchal view by arguing that the prototype of all definitions of the monstrous is the female reproductive body.
With close reference to a number of classic horror films including the Alien trilogy, The Exorcist and Psycho, C...more
Published November 15th 1993 by Routledge (first published September 9th 1993)

Helen
I'll never watch horror films in quite the same way again! At times, not the easiest read,probably as this is my first foray into the realms of film theory,so I did have to do some reading around the topic to get a better grip on the subject matter, (I understood it's premise better having read up on Kristeva) but I'm sure this will prove to be an indespensible text for my dissertation. Now I'm noticing the monstrous-feminine everywhere!
Viola
Barbara Creed analyses the seven faces' of the monstrous-feminine: archaic mother, monstrous womb, vampire, witch, possessed body, monstrous mother and castrator. Her argument that man fears woman as castrator, rather than as castrated, questions not only Freudian theories of sexual difference but existing theories of spectatorship and fetishism, providing a provocative re-reading of classical and contemporary film and theoretical texts.

On Cindy Sherman photography http://megankarius.com/academi...more
Kelsey
I read this for a popular culture class in grad school, and as someone with limited knowledge of psychoanalysis, it was hard to get into. However, by the end of it, Creed presents an immensely liberating theory regarding the monstrous feminine, and made me completely rethink the way media portrays women. Since I finished it a few days ago, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Absolutely worth a read if you're interested in women in media.
malic
Sep 11, 2008 malic rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist film theory enthusiasts / vagina dentata scholars / people who like my films
Shelves: film-theory
this is one of the most enjoyable feminist film theory books i've ever read. jumping off of freud and kristeva, it explores the fear of the monstrous-feminine not as the castrated subject-as freud argued, but as the subject that threatens to castrate. then it gives all sorts of examples of castrating female monsters, with images, from popular culture!

this books makes watching horror movies and reading psychoanalysis so much fun, especially when you think of castration metaphorically as the down...more
Jun 13, 2007 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist film studies people
I read this book because I love monster movies, especially the campy ones where the monster is (invariably) female and on a killing rampage. This is a great book if you revel in movies like Cronenberg's "The Brood", or the "Aliens" Quadrilogy, or even more recent movies like "The Descent". It examines the issue of gender in horror films, something that seems completely obvious when you read the essays but was always just on the tip of your subconscious mind, waiting for the right articulation.
Ana
Oct 27, 2010 Ana marked it as to-read
I've read some of her essays in my horror film class and of course used for writing papers, but never read the whole book. Would love to get a hold of a copy to explore all those concepts again.
Nicole
Great introduction to psychoanalytic approaches to women in horror films.
Keith
It's totally acceptable to judge this book by its cover.
Kendra
totally awesome so far.
Jason
real goooood
Carnelian
Carnelian marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 23, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Breanna Whipple
Breanna Whipple marked it as to-read
Emoneymugga
Emoneymugga marked it as to-read
Herdeadtwin
Herdeadtwin marked it as to-read
Saturday
Saturday marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Baticeer
Baticeer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Killian
Killian marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Xsmmm
Xsmmm marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Dawna
Dawna marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Yskrings
Yskrings marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sidonie Hall-jordan
Sidonie Hall-jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection
  • Film History: An Introduction
  • The Gilda Stories
  • Monsters in the Movies: 100 Years of Cinematic Nightmares
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • House of Psychotic Women: An Autobiographical Topography of Female Neurosis in Horror and Exploitation Films
  • What Is Cinema?, Vol. 2
  • The Straight Mind: And Other Essays
  • From Caligari to Hitler: A Psychological History of the German Film
  • Reel to Real: Race, Sex, and Class at the Movies
  • Midnight Movies
Media Matrix: Sexing the New Reality Phallic Panic: Film, Horror and the Primal Uncanny Body Trade: Captivity, Cannibalism and Colonialism in the Pacific Pandora's Box: Essays In Film Theory Εισαγωγή στις κινηματογραφικές σπουδές: Κριτικές προσεγγίσεις