Start by marking “The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis” as Want to Read:
The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis

The Monstrous-Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In almost all critical writings on the horror film, woman is conceptualised only as victim. In The Monstrous-Feminine Barbara Creed challenges this patriarchal view by arguing that the prototype of all definitions of the monstrous is the female reproductive body.
With close reference to a number of classic horror films including the Alien trilogy, The Exorcist and Psycho, C
Published November 15th 1993 by Routledge (first published September 9th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Monstrous-Feminine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monstrous-Feminine

Helen
I'll never watch horror films in quite the same way again! At times, not the easiest read,probably as this is my first foray into the realms of film theory,so I did have to do some reading around the topic to get a better grip on the subject matter, (I understood it's premise better having read up on Kristeva) but I'm sure this will prove to be an indespensible text for my dissertation. Now I'm noticing the monstrous-feminine everywhere!
Viola
Barbara Creed analyses the seven faces' of the monstrous-feminine: archaic mother, monstrous womb, vampire, witch, possessed body, monstrous mother and castrator. Her argument that man fears woman as castrator, rather than as castrated, questions not only Freudian theories of sexual difference but existing theories of spectatorship and fetishism, providing a provocative re-reading of classical and contemporary film and theoretical texts.

On Cindy Sherman photography http://megankarius.com/academi
Keith
It's totally acceptable to judge this book by its cover.
Kelsey
I read this for a popular culture class in grad school, and as someone with limited knowledge of psychoanalysis, it was hard to get into. However, by the end of it, Creed presents an immensely liberating theory regarding the monstrous feminine, and made me completely rethink the way media portrays women. Since I finished it a few days ago, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Absolutely worth a read if you're interested in women in media.
Vanessa
This was a lot of fun to read. I rewatched all of the films as I was reading, and I really enjoyed it. If you don't feel like watching the films, the plots are all described, but I think you'd definitely miss something if you skipped watching the films. I flew through the theory chapters just as quickly as the ones about movies. For an academic work, the theories are decently simply explained, though I might read through all the theory chapters if you're new to Freud.

The only complaints that I m
Dolly
Excellent if you are into cinema, psychoanalysis, feminism and horror. It is a must.It is extraordinary how Creed debates on Freud's theories, but with respect and objectivity. All the points she makes are insightful. Great analysis.
malic
Sep 11, 2008 malic rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist film theory enthusiasts / vagina dentata scholars / people who like my films
Shelves: film-theory
this is one of the most enjoyable feminist film theory books i've ever read. jumping off of freud and kristeva, it explores the fear of the monstrous-feminine not as the castrated subject-as freud argued, but as the subject that threatens to castrate. then it gives all sorts of examples of castrating female monsters, with images, from popular culture!

this books makes watching horror movies and reading psychoanalysis so much fun, especially when you think of castration metaphorically as the down
Jun 13, 2007 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist film studies people
I read this book because I love monster movies, especially the campy ones where the monster is (invariably) female and on a killing rampage. This is a great book if you revel in movies like Cronenberg's "The Brood", or the "Aliens" Quadrilogy, or even more recent movies like "The Descent". It examines the issue of gender in horror films, something that seems completely obvious when you read the essays but was always just on the tip of your subconscious mind, waiting for the right articulation.
Ana
Oct 27, 2010 Ana marked it as to-read
I've read some of her essays in my horror film class and of course used for writing papers, but never read the whole book. Would love to get a hold of a copy to explore all those concepts again.
Nicole
Great introduction to psychoanalytic approaches to women in horror films.
Kendra
totally awesome so far.
Jason
real goooood
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Bridget H
Bridget H marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sour
Sour marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
pj
pj marked it as to-read
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Franz Biberkopf
Franz Biberkopf marked it as to-read
Olivia B.
Olivia B. marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
M.
M. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Alan Keep
Alan Keep marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
May 02, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Amal Arrumaih
Amal Arrumaih marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film
  • The Dread of Difference: Gender and the Horror Film
  • The Philosophy of Horror: Or, Paradoxes of the Heart
  • The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror
  • Visual And Other Pleasures
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • House of Psychotic Women: An Autobiographical Topography of Female Neurosis in Horror and Exploitation Films
  • Skin Shows: Gothic Horror and the Technology of Monsters
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • Reel to Real: Race, Sex, and Class at the Movies
  • From Caligari to Hitler: A Psychological History of the German Film
  • Nightmare Movies: A Critical Guide to Contemporary Horror Films
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • The Gilda Stories
Phallic Panic: Film, Horror and the Primal Uncanny Media Matrix: Sexing the New Reality Body Trade: Captivity, Cannibalism and Colonialism in the Pacific Pandora's Box: Essays In Film Theory Εισαγωγή στις κινηματογραφικές σπουδές: Κριτικές προσεγγίσεις