Born To Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)

Born To Run (Jack Swyteck #8)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Bestselling author James Grippando is back with another innovative and action-packed thriller featuring his ever-popular hero.

Jack Swyteck gets caught in a dangerous web of intrigue and murder at the top levels of the United States government in his most high-profile and disturbing case yet.

Published December 2nd 2008 by Harper (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Born To Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born To Run

Bill
This book had a great start. The middle was OK. The end fell flat for me. It is the first of the Jack Swyteck stories that I have read. I may try another.
Kayeb
Based on people being willing to murder in order to maintain political office....Ok to read, and the plot thickens without for me at least, a clue as to the ending.

Miami criminal defense lawyer Jack Swyteck guards his own family secrets closely, after his father's two terms as Florida's governor made some personal rifts public. Thi...more
Patricia
Jack Swyteck has been at odds with his father for years but when U.S. Vice-President, Phil Grayson, dies during a hunting trip in the Everglades the two are suddenly working together. President Keyes asks that Harry, a former Florida governor, come to Washington. The President is requesting that Harry fill the vacancy created by the death of Vice-President Grayson. Harry asks Jack to be his legal advisor.

Jack arrives in Washington and soon begins to feel that Grayson’s death may not have been an...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jack Swyteck, Miami defense attorney
SETTING: Washington, DC, and Miami
SERIES: #8 of 8
RATING: 3.0

Vice President Phil Grayson has loved hunting most of his life. Therefore, he is thrilled to be able to go into the Everglades to hunt alligators. He's hooked a big one when things go terribly awry. He suffers some kind of attack and ends up falling overboard, to certain death. President Keyes is very quick to select a replacement, asking former Florida governor Harry Swyteck to take on t...more
Marty
BORN TO RUN was the second book that I got to read for Harper Collins. I think I'm going to for a pro/con list on this one.

Take the Good:
1) Very interesting premise. I'm a total sucker for a good constitutional crisis. (And I'm not being ironic. I'm a nerd.)
2) I liked the climatic final scenes, I'm also a sucker for a good hostage situation.
3) Fast-paced and overall a fun and quick read.

Take the Bad:
1) I did not care for Jack's sidekick Theo. I didn't think he was funny, or a good foil for Jac...more
Holly Morey
I went with 4 stars but it is closer to 3.5 stars. The beginning is fast paced with the Vice President dying suddenly and suspiciously. Jack's father is asked by the President to be considered to replace him. Before the confirmation hearings can even begin, Jack begins to get strange messages. My main complaint with the book is the hostage situation. This is the 2nd book in a row that Grippando used this plot line. It was still a suspenseful book and I enjoyed it.
Kevin Allmaras
A play on the current President's status. Totally unbelievable but still entertaining. The Greek who is in the process of trying to extort money from several high ranking people and relatives of the Vice President. All the time not knowing the true extent of the information that he has. He has been in trouble with the Sicilians and the Russians and at present owes them a lot of money. Thus the extortion attempts. In his youth he was thrown off a roof and survived but lost the love of his life be...more
Linda
In this James Grippando novel, main character Jack Swyteck once again gets caught up in a dangerous web of intrigue and murder - this time involving the highest office in the land (the presidency), the death of the vide-president, Russian and Sicilian mobs, and the involvement of at least one secret service agent. Jack finds himself involved in a decades-old cover-up that ultimately leads to him being held as a hostage by a person known as the Greek. As far as plots go, this one had all the maki...more
Jay Connor
It has been a long time since I read a novel by James Grippando. Well, before his Jack-Swyteck series. He's a good solid writer from here in Florida...but he seemed to be repeating himself. So I took a break. Chalk this re-visit up to the "separation is good" side of the ledger. As you know, a political thriller can almost never fail to engage me -- and this fast-paced yarn about a secret that the President is willing to kill to keep quiet is fun.

Grippando keeps the secret long enough to be a s...more
Lisa Currier
Started out great, fast paced, good suspense. The ending was just ok, when the big secret was revealed, not very believable. Theo was pretty annoying this go around. Still a good read, great author.
Samantha
I love James Grippando's books especially his Jack Swyteck's novels. However, this book is pretty unbelievable and there are a lot of holes in it. It seems like you would have to really suspend belief in order to truly enjoy it. I give it three stars because in true Grippando fashion it is action packed and a very interesting concept. What if someone knew something about the president and could blackmail him? It does all make sense at the end even though it was wrapped up extremely fast. I would...more
Kim
I just picked this up because I am a sucker for political thrillers and it had the White House on the cover, but I think I have stumbled on a new favorite author. The plot is more complicated than can be summed up in a few paragraphs, but the premise is a secret that could unseat the current president and the crime and chaos that surround that secret. The story was not predictable and I was very surprised by the ending. The characters were believable and the story was fast paced. The main charac...more
Laren
The Vice President of the United States dies and recurring protagonist Jack Swytek's father is tapped to take his place. Jack is asked to be his lawyer for the confirmation hearings. But before that happens, Jack discovers that the President may have a big secret - one that is apparently well worth someone killing several people to keep - and his father might be a part of it. I don't usually like political thrillers, but I read this one because it was written by James Grippando, and he didn't di...more
Evelyn
Soon after the Vice-President dies while alligator hunting in Florida, his former intern is murdered in Washigton, D.C. Facing his 40th birthday, Florida attorney Jack Swytec is in D.C. for his father's confirmation hearings as the next Vice-President. There, he receives a cryptic email offering to make his father President and begins to suspect that someone is trying to kill the President.

Eight and last of the Jack Swytec series. Fast-paced, good suspense, and a quick read. Highly recommend th...more
Melinda
Teri
Great book that was hard to put down! I will be reading more books by this author!
J. Ewbank
James Grippando knows how to write a novel. This one is a thriller from start to finish.

The characters are believable and not too much larger than life. They manage to get caught up in all kinds of problems which are trying to be solved but do not get solved until the very end.

You will not figure out the answer to this mystery before the author tells you about it.

It is another good read about the lawyer Swyteck.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Ed Schmidt
While on a gator hunt in Florida, the Vice President of the United States has a heart attack and dies. The President's choice as a replacement is Harry Swyteck, Jack's father. Thus begins the intrigue, deception, and murder. Including the Sicilians, the Russians, and a Greek named Demetri. Demetri takes Jack and 2 others hostage during a live news broadcast at a TV station. Andie Henning and Theo Knight do everything they can to get Jack and the other hostages freed.
Jenness
Jack Swyteck is back and involved in another thriller. I have read to be disappointed in anything I have read by James Grippando. From beginning to end I was intrigued by the secret that could bring down the President of the United States. Jack gets caught up in the intrigue when his father is nominated to be vice-president after the death of the elected vice-president. The ending and the secret are both surprising. Can't wait for the next installment.
Michele
It took me a while to get into this book. It wasn't as good as the other books in this series. I was kind of disappointed. It was not as fast paced. Struggled until about 3/4 of the way through then it picked up. Not his best in this series.

If I had read this book having never read him I'm not sure I would read another. With that said James Grippando is one of my favorite authors so obviously I'll continue to be a loyal fan.
Marti
a nice thriller by an author i have enjoyed since i first discovered him. former lawyers seem to be good storytellers. this is a jack swyteck novel that deals with the top executives of the country, sleazy newspapers and an unforgettable villain who really defies the odds to even still be living. Oh, yes, there is also Jack's squeeze, Andie, the FBI agent, his father and the colorful Theo, his sidekick.
Mom
A political mystery and intrigue story that involves the top levels of the US government. There are characters and situations that mimic true events of recent history. There are government cover-ups, a hostage situation and long buried secrets brought to light. Of course, to add a little spice, there is a romance interest. All and all I enjoyed this read more than most books of this nature.
Mailmanr5
Pretty good-but not his best.
Jill Manske
This isn't the best book I've ever read, but it was exciting and suspenseful. I liked the characters and felt they were believable. The plot was different and the ending wasn't all that obvious. The characters could have been fleshed out a little more. But the descriptions of the settings were good, as was most of the dialog. I'd definitely read another Grippando book.
Don Sparrow
J.P. has now written 8 books in the "Jack Swyteck" series. I have read the last five. Swyteck's character is again funny & witty which makes the book an entertaining read. This suspense thriller is full of blackmail, murder, dirty political secrets and violence.Fans of this genre will definitely enjoy this novel; even though it does go over the top occasionally.
Cindy
I really thought this was the other Born to Run book...as I quickly checked it out of the library system. prior to a trip. And then once I started, I realized, alas, NO. But I was intrigued by the lead in story and the 'big secret ', that was haunting the White house. Lots of build up...little delivery...but maybe I was just tired of it.
Courtney
I love James Grippando so I was thrilled to see a new one on the new books shelf! It was good to read another Jack Swytek mystery and Theo is always funny - although it doesn't require prior knowledge of the characters. It never got really exciting, but it kept moving and took only a day to read. I look forward to the next one!
Fredrick Danysh
The vice-president dies under suspicious circumstances while on a gator hunt in Florida. Two reporters are killed. Jack Swyteck becomes involved when his father is nominated to fill the vacant vice-presidency. A mysterious Greek as well as criminal elements are trying to kill him to protect a secret that could have enormous consequences.
Joyce
Well written and fast paced. A story of deceit built upon deceit. Murder and mayhem, up to and including the protagonist being held hostage in a TV news studio. The characters are interesting and well developed. They make you want to see more of them. A very good recommendation for any novelist. I will read more of his books.

Jeanette
Great storyline; works very well with current events. Although I'm reading these out of order, it doesn't really seem to matter much. As before I didn't really care for the end, but this one was much better pulled together than book #4. The suspense and intrigue kept my interest all the way to the end.
  • Hate Crime (Ben Kincaid, #13)
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
  • Live to Tell (Live to Tell #1)
  • Dead Before Dying
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
  • Hunter's Moon (Doc Ford, #14)
  • The First Assassin
  • Blood Trust (Jack McClure, #3)
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Jinn: A Novel
  • Trouble
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • The Devil's Light
  • Act of Revenge (Butch Karp, #11)
  • The Devil She Knows
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • Move to Strike
  • Heaven Is High (Barbara Holloway #12)
James Grippando is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty novels of suspense, including 10 in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorny Jack Swyteck. He is also the author of "Leapholes" for young adults. His novels are enjoyed worldwide in twenty-six languages. James was a trial lawyer for twelve years and is now Counsel to one of the nation's leading law firms. He live...more
More about James Grippando...
When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6) The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1) Money To Burn Lying With Strangers Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)