Start by marking “Teach Yourself Visually Knitting” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Visually Knitting

Teach Yourself Visually Knitting

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Shows you the basics of knitting - photo by photo and stitch by stitch. This book includes color photos that demonstrate each step. It provides step-by-step instructions that accompany each photo.
Published December 1st 2005 by Visual

To ask other readers questions about Teach Yourself Visually Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Yourself Visually Knitting

Sara
Apr 03, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-projects
I previously had Knitting for Dummies and I FELT like a dummy reading that book. IT took me 6 weeks to even figureo ut basics with that book. Not so with this one, thankfully!!!! I've been enjoying the step by steps, easy lingo, colorful pictures, and how user friendly it is. It's set up really well and is efficient. Thanks to it, as a beginning knitter, I've tackled some projects I never would have dreamed of this early an can always fall back on this book for guidance.
Donna Zigmont
Dec 23, 2015 Donna Zigmont rated it really liked it
I am learning knitting. It's something I've always wanted to learn. I'm left handed so its hard to find someone to teach me. My local library has a knitting group that meets once a month. I went and they taught me how to begin. This book as well as some Youtube videos were recommended. This book was very helpful and informative. The only problem I had with it is some of the pictures don't really match the steps. Other than that it was great.
Alana
May 21, 2008 Alana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters of all levels
Shelves: knitting, reviewed
At the recommendation of a super-knitter, I purchased this book when I wanted to learn how to knit... and I suppose it never occurred to me to add it to goodreads until yesterday when I thought I should write a "yay!" review for this instructional guide book.
I actually taught myself how to knit with this book. Well, I re-learned how to knit, but the only stitch I learned in college was the knit stitch, which produced two sad, simple scarves just long enough for my toddler godson. Anyone who's l
Jyotika Varmani
Oct 06, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It starts from the basics and moves onto complicated patterns. It has easy instructions and the accompanying diagrams are surely helpful. I liked the variety of patterns given in the book. I would give it full five stars if it included some more patterns as used in projects.
Emmalee
May 28, 2016 Emmalee rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, crafts
This is a fairly useful book, but in the age of youtube, I've had more success watching videos with teaching myself to knit. There are just a few things that could be worded a little bit better, or a few more pictures that would help more. However, there is a lot of great information in here.
Mckinley
Apr 13, 2016 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Basics. I use internet videos to help but if you don't have access, this would be helpful.
Deodand
May 31, 2008 Deodand rated it really liked it
This is the first knitting book I bought, when I came back to knitting a few years back. I've known how to knit since I was very small, but I needed refreshment on finishing techniques, buttonholes, cast-on styles, etc. This book is great for the beginner-to-intermediate knitter. It's laid out for you in plain and simple terms, and the photos are among the clearest I've seen in a knitting book (you would think that would be an obvious thing to do, but many publishers skimp on the photos).
Amy
Oct 25, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-hobbies
The book I have actually combines knitting and crocheting, and someday I'll try to tackle the crocheting. But mostly I use this to remind myself how to do the knitting basics -- from casting on and binding off to switching yarns and adding tassels. The color photos with closeups of hands-on-needles offer helpful and easy to follow step-by-step instruction. The patterns aren't anything special, but I might try a few for practice.
Missy
Feb 23, 2010 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People teaching themselves to knit
Shelves: crafts-and-arts
As a very new knitter I really found this book helpful. I am a visual learner and I can attest to this book being useful for my learning style. A friend taught me the initial cast on and garter stitch, then I sought books to help me when I did not have a knitter nearby. After checking out a few library books, I found I valued this one was my favorite. I liked the project instructions and the way it covered so many of the basics.
Sophie
Nov 30, 2012 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Awesome resource for learning how to knit basic stitches and patterns. The photos and instructions are clear and easy to follow and there are excellent sections on how to recognize and correct mistakes. I have the summary of knitting abbreviations and the glossary bookmarked for quick reference. I keep this book close by when I'm starting a new project and it is my go to guide for all things knitting!
Cindy
Feb 26, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Trying to learn more options for holding the needles and yarn to save my hands some aches and also some options for casting on. My cast on method lacks since it makes that first row super-tight and then leaves the edge uneven. Compared to the cast off edge, it's a mess. So, this is one of those research reads to see if I can find a better way.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: craftreference
This is really a great book for those wanting to learn how to knit. Everything is laid out in wonderful color photographs step-by-step. This really is an instruction manual and not really full of patterns. I do think if you are wanting to learn how to knit and know very little, this is definitely the book for you.
Melanie Franklin
Aug 06, 2011 Melanie Franklin rated it liked it
It's pretty friggin hard to learn how to knit from a book, but I've looked at 3 or 4 and this is definately the best one to use. I learned the basic stitches, but I just don't have the patience to figure out the complicated stuff, unless someone actually showed me.
Alika Kay
Sep 25, 2012 Alika Kay rated it it was ok
I don't think anyone who has no prior knowledge of knitting can learn from this book. There are many steps that have no photos and the photos are not that large. Save your money and watch some knitting videos on YouTube. Also the projects were beyond dull.
Charity
Jun 25, 2008 Charity rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to learn how to knit, or for those who are experienced knitters
This is a great book, not only for those wanting to teach themselves how to knit, but for those who are experienced knitters as well. Very imformative, easy to learn from, and wonderful patterns to get you on your way to knitting.
Becky
Apr 03, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn to knit or improve their skills
I really enjoyed this book...I love to knit but am not very good at it (yet). This book shows everything you need to know step by step with pictures. It even has a few simple patterns included in the back. It's great!
Nicol
Oct 11, 2014 Nicol rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
This is one of the most helpful books I have ever found on how to learn new patterns. If you want to try out new things or just need a reference book, this is a must have for the knitter.
Becky H.
Nov 04, 2011 Becky H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I am just learning how to knit and this book has lots of pictures and shows step by step how to learn different stitches. So far it has been very helpful and it is now on my Christmas list.
Amy
Nov 24, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite teach-yourself-to-knit book. It contains pictures of actual hands holding actual needles and using actual yarn. It's simply the best!
Nung Nurchasanah
May 29, 2011 Nung Nurchasanah rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobi-rajutan
buku ini cocok banget buat pemula. karena penjelasannya detail dan ada gambarnya. porsi gambarnya bahkan lebih banyak daripada teksnya (sesuai judulnya kaliii)... hehehe
Kathy
Oct 14, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Unsurprisingly this book has great photo references of different knitting techniques and a good glossary. But the projects aren't anything I want to make.
Lady Ambrosia
Jun 24, 2008 Lady Ambrosia rated it it was amazing
Great book if you are intestested in teaching yourself to knit. Great tips, tricks, and some awesome patterns to help you get started.
Zoe
Dec 19, 2009 Zoe rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This book was the best book I found when teaching myself to knit. The pictures are clear, the instructions basic. Terrific!
Creation
Dec 11, 2010 Creation is currently reading it
Easy to read and easy to follow. This book is helpful for beginner like me. I especially like the pattern sample collections.
Karen Chong
Dec 22, 2012 Karen Chong rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It is a great reference book whenever I can't remember or don't know how to do a technique.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT tool for a beginner and new stitches for the more advanced! Love this book!
Heidi Corcoran
Jun 08, 2011 Heidi Corcoran rated it it was amazing
Very helpful! I highly recommend this book if you're learning to knit.
Richard
Aug 24, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
if you want to learn how to kint this is a good place to start
Becca
Feb 04, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing
This is how I learn. That's all I can say.
Karen Baxter
Jan 14, 2013 Karen Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource! I refer to it all the time.
  • Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • Knit Fix
  • Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles
  • More Big Girl Knits: 25 Designs Full of Color and Texture for Curvy Women
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • Knitting For Dummies
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Knit Socks!
  • Knitter's handbook
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics
  • Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs
  • Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters
  • The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • One Skein
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
More about Sharon Turner...