Start by marking “Salvation on the Small Screen: 24 Hours of Christian Television” as Want to Read:
Salvation on the Small Screen: 24 Hours of Christian Television

Salvation on the Small Screen: 24 Hours of Christian Television

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A book for every person who's ever flipped past the religious channel on cable and thought, "I haven't the faintest clue what's going on there," or "that church doesn't seem like my church at all," or even, "wow, so that's what happened to Kirk Cameron." With the personalities of Christian broadcasting constantly in the news talking about every major issue from abortion to ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Seabury Books (first published January 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Salvation on the Small Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation on the Small Screen

Art
Mar 10, 2014 Art rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Funny and sad at the same time to read, with all too much cringing from the Fundyland days of my life when yes, I watched TBN too and sometimes took it seriously, and she describes a lot of the same goofiness I saw with some wonderful insight. I only wish she would have caught the Ray Comfort convert or burn show with Kirk Cameron. I loved this book. Lots of things to think about from all over the board, from where does the money go to scratch and sniff bibles and the last bit is true, even when ...more
Doreen Fritz
Irreverant fun and games from a respected (by many) contemporary voice in the church. Heavily tattooed and casually dressed, Bolzano-Weber nevertheless holds pretty much mainline views towards the worship experience and the role of the church. In this little book, she has challenged herself to sit and watch 24 hours of the various TV shows billed as "Christian." She has invited different people to stop in and watch with her at different times throughout the day (and night.). Many of these people ...more
Amy
I need to reveal my own bias up front - I'm an evangelical protestant with Baptist leanings, though I have no strong denominational ties. My college classmates and I (at a private Baptist (read also: evangelical and conservative) liberal arts college) jokingly called TBN - The Blasphemy Network. And, like Nadia, I'm tattooed and wasn't much interested in church in my early-mid twenties.

Which reveals my first problem with this book - the lumping of all evangelicals together with the views represe
Tina Simmons
Aug 10, 2012 Tina Simmons rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
To say I thoroughly enjoyed this book is an understatement. I am an evangelical, though not the TBN variety. I approached this text with the hope of gleaning a little of what the more liturgical denominations believe. I was not disappointed.
Nadia is both snarky, and well studied. This combination makes her commentary both enlightening, and sometimes hysterical. I found myself actually laughing out loud during some of the commentary (even waking up my sleeping child with my hearty laughter).
I co
Stephen
Jan 24, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
As a pastor myself, I found this book to be both hilariously intriguing and spiritually poignant. Throughout my reading of Bolz-Weber's book I became grossly fascinated by TBN and similar Christian-Industrial media outlets, and by grossly fascinated I mean that I sort of wanted to experience for myself some of the reactions Bolz-Weber had without actively torturing myself for 24 hours straight. While she is snarky (which I appreciate), Bolz-Weber is very open about her faults without being self- ...more
Beth
Sep 21, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Warning! Do not drink diet Coke or any other liquid while reading this book or you're liable to end up with wet book/nook/Kindle! There are parts that are that funny!

So what happens when a progressive, liberal Lutheran pastor agrees to watch 24 hours of Trinity Broadcast Network? This book, that's what. And yet, it's not just poking fun (though there is plenty of that - understandably so in my mind) - the realization occurs that perhaps, indeed in all likelihood, there is room for the strengths
Erin
Nov 04, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
I read this in one night and laughed my ass off.

Basically, the author, a sarcastic and highly tattooed Lutheran pastor and blogger, was invited by her publisher to watch 24 hours of Christian television, specifically TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network, home of the The 700 Club), and then write about it. She asked if she could invite friends--they said okay, and she did.

She and her friends are all hilarious, but if it was just them poking fun at TBN, the book would pretty shallow (although proba
Jim
May 05, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Nadia dares to take on a task that only a few might ever want to venture: watching 24 hours of Christian Television. What results is an insightful and witty look at the world of popular evangelical television as seen through the eyes of a mainline Christian minister.

Nadia's critique at times is funny, biting, and sarcastic. We'd expect that from her since she is better known by her online moniker: "The Sarcastic Lutheran." At other times she is highly reflective about how Christian television ch
Catherine Belles
Sep 08, 2015 Catherine Belles rated it really liked it
This is an older book and was a delight to read. A good choice for the summer. One ting you should know about my review - I do not have a TV and I do not watch TBN. I have nothing against religious programs per se but for the most part I just don't find them interesting. So I was curious how nadia Bolz Weber, known for a wry sarcasm and hipster look/language would handle the discussion. Would she try and see the positives or would she only focus on the negatives which so many liberal Christians ...more
Mary
Sep 21, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I thought the author was just going to bash TBN while I gleefully agreed with her. Instead she offered insight on how there were holes in her own tradition and how she could better them. It helped me realize I need to be less snooty when it come to other denominations.
Melanie Long
Mar 16, 2012 Melanie Long added it
Shelves: religion
Very enjoyable; made me laugh and at the same time think about my own beliefs.
Rebecca Cynamon-murphy
May 23, 2013 Rebecca Cynamon-murphy rated it it was amazing
More than just snark but the snark is also particularly good.
Ellen
Mar 18, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I read this book on a car trip from Florida to Wisconsin to a very captive audience. The five star rating is from all three of us, each of very different Christians, demographically speaking. My mother (in her 50s, incredibly conservative/ fundamentalist Christian), my friend (30s, raised Assemblies of God, now more liberal and finding what brand of Christianity works best for her), and me: 28 years old, ridiculously liberal, a mashup of Catholic and Lutheran, with a deep love of traditional lit ...more
Jake
Jun 28, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious-books
As a just-graduated ELCA seminarian, I was really interested to read this book after hearing about it in one of my classes as it was written by an ELCA Pastor. Rev. Bolz-Weber does not disappoint, her theology and my own are very similar and I greatly enjoyed her sense of humor and candid insights in watching TBN for 24-hours. She is certainly braver than I. My one issue with the book is that she talks about the distance in theological communication between mainline denominations (Lutherans, Epi ...more
Jay Butler
Jan 14, 2016 Jay Butler rated it it was amazing
The book offers a unique scenario: What happens to a person when they watch 24 hours of TBN through a progressive theological lens? Bolz-Weber does an excellent job weaving humor, theological discourse, and introspection.

There is some NSFW language because that's Bolz-Weber's cup of tea, but it is a fantastic book because it made me become introspective of my evangelical upbringing clashing with my current mainline Protestant, liberal thought. It's a unique, interesting book, and it's a quick an
Robinson
May 06, 2015 Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I felt I was in the room with Nadia, and her friends, watching 24 hours of TBN. It was hard enough to read about; I can only imagine what it was like to actually watch..... no, actually I can't. But I love how she is able to humbly ponder some of the 'good' that TBN has to offer, while acknowledging the holes in her own denomination. Though I would say those are small holes compared to the Grand Canyon sized issues found on TBN.
Great book.
Toddie
May 12, 2016 Toddie rated it really liked it
The most frightening concept imaginable - watching TBN for 24 hours straight. But Bolz-Weber writes about it with a critical but compassionate eye, all the while being observant of the plank in her own eye. And super funny to boot.
Sheri Lutz
Sep 12, 2015 Sheri Lutz rated it liked it
It was phoned in. Editor clearly twisted author's arm to write this, and she should have declined. Watch televangelists with friends and record pithy responses? Or, make dulled observations.
Jami Hart
Aug 05, 2014 Jami Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Absolutely brilliant analysis of a 24 hour marathon of Trinity Broadcasting network. Nadia invited friends to watch with her in hour long segments. Snark and relevant questions make for a great read.
Michelle Bodle
May 23, 2014 Michelle Bodle rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
At it's very heart this book is exploring what makes something "Christian".
Robin Warden
May 05, 2014 Robin Warden rated it liked it
The premise: A current pastor-to-watch (whose Twitter name & blog title says it all..."Sarcastic Lutheran") invites friends over to watch & provide commentary on a 24- hour viewing of TBN. This is the 2nd book I've read by Pastor Nadia & she doesn't disappoint. I'm drawn to her cyninicism, sarcasm, her personal redemption story, & her no-nonsense take on all things considered "Christian" in our culture. If you find yourself intrigued, aghast, agog by the likes of Paula White, Joe ...more
Amy Young
Dec 31, 2014 Amy Young rated it liked it
Will write later
Shari
Nov 02, 2013 Shari rated it liked it
I had a ton of fun reading this book; it would have come in handy back in college when I wrote my final paper for Mass Media on televangelism. (Actually, I kind of wish I’d have thought of this myself as an idea for that project, although I’d never be able to deliver the same fabulous and snarky yet reflective commentary.) I’d totally watch 24 hours of TBN if I could do it with Nadia Bolz-Weber.

(The typos in this book -- while obviously not the fault of Ms. Bolz-Weber -- drove me a little crazy.
Caroline
Sep 13, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
A funny book for sure. I really enjoyed the author's sarcastic comments as well as those of her friends - each taking shifts during the 24 hour watch-a-thon. The author does more, though, than just poke fun of the TBN televangelists - all easy targets. Many of the snarky comments are followed by real introspection often leading to honest dialogue with her fellow TBN watchers (Christians, Jews, and atheists) about the varying beliefs within Christianity. Now that is refreshing.
Traci
Jun 01, 2013 Traci rated it really liked it
I recently heard about Nadia while doing research into returning to church and love her theologic point of view and faith. This book was an interesting look into TBN and what they are offering the public about Christianity. Although this book was written about a 24 hour period that occured nearly 6 years ago, after flipping TBN on today, I'd say the same ideals still ring true. And her snarky commentary was hilarious! Can't wait for her memoir in September!
Bobby
Nov 21, 2008 Bobby rated it it was ok
Although an interesting experiment, it relied too much on snarky judgements and sarcasm. The author's valuable contemplations on topics such as healing and pneumatology were appreciated but too few. The play-by-play format was bit much and I wonder if a reflective essay on the whole experience and the questions it raised would have been more insightful. I was surprised, however, to see that a former co-worker was one of the author's guests!
Michelle Margaret
Oct 22, 2009 Michelle Margaret rated it liked it
An entertaining look at the wacky world of TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network), though the author is sometimes annoyingly snarky. It is positively scary how manipulative televangelists are. Their channel has "no advertising," yet these rich preachers sell thousands of dollars of merchandise under the guise of saving their poor/uneducated viewers' souls.
Shannon
Jan 29, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, my second book written by Nadia. I love her perspective on all things Lutheran, and found her experiment of watching 24 hours of TBN fascinating (I don't know if I could watch even 1 hour & now I don't have to!)

I hope she comes out with another book soon!
Elsie
May 25, 2009 Elsie rated it really liked it
She is a comedian, turned minister, who writes her thoughts about 24 hours of watching Christian TV. She makes sharp and witty criticism and then bring the truth home about herself and Christians. A fresh perspective on the realm of Christian TV.
Lori
Jan 02, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
Funny and honest look at "churchy church".
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • God on the Rocks: Distilling Religion, Savoring Faith
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • This Odd and Wondrous Calling: The Public and Private Lives of Two Ministers
  • When God Is Silent
  • Brother to a Dragonfly
  • Coffee with Jesus
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
  • Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse: The Official Field Manual for the End of the World
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer
  • Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
Nadia Bolz-Weber is the founding pastor of House for All Sinners and Saints, an ELCA mission church in Denver, Colorado.

She has a BA in Religious Studies from CU Boulder and an MDiv from Iliff School of Theology.
More about Nadia Bolz-Weber...

“Trying to prove scientifically the historical accuracy of events in the Bible is to faith what having your spouse under twenty-four-hour video surveillance is to marital trust.” 0 likes
“The crucifixion portrayed on our show was undertaken by the son of God, a trained professional. Do not try to crucify yourself at home.” 0 likes