Start by marking “A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)

A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry #3)

With the kids packed off on their summer road trips, it's an ideal time for Jane Jeffrey to pursue other interests, so the harried suburban mom enrolls in a writing course at the community college. But when an obnoxious aged classmate keels over dead after sampling a tasty treat from a pot luck student buffet, Jane realizes there's a culinary killer among the local would-b ...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about A Quiche Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Quiche Before Dying

Connie N.
#3 in the Jane Jeffry cozy mystery series

It was fun to revisit with Jane and Shelley, and get to know Jane's mother Cecily a little better this time. They all decide to take a one-week autobiography writing class. When one of the participants is murdered, it points the finger at everyone else in the class. As usual, Jane doesn't feel that Mel is moving forward quickly enough, so she and Shelley decide to do some investigating on their own. I like that they just ask questions among acquaintances
Drebbles
Mar 26, 2013 Drebbles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Jane Jeffry's mother Cecily is in town on a visit and she and Jane sign up for a writing class at the local community center. Cecily has traveled all over the world and thinks the class on writing autobiographies is a good way of preserving her memories. Jane and her friend Shelley Nowack are taking the class to keep Cecily company, but Jane soon discovers she may have a talent for writing. Jane's enjoying the class, although she wishes the obnoxious Agnes Pryce hadn't signed up as well. Jane's ...more
Ed
May 07, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Jane Jeffrey series.

Jane Jeffrey with her visiting mother Cecilia and neighbor Shelley decide to take a weeklong evening course in autobiography writing. The first evening, harridan Mrs. General Pryce insults everyone. The second evening, they have dinner at Mrs. Pryce's home and she is poisoned. Jane must, of course, find the killer. Romantic interest with detective Mel VanDyne escalates.
Shinyfox
Nov 11, 2012 Shinyfox rated it it was amazing
This book made me realize that the novels I've been reading haven't been as good as I thought they were. This book made me laugh and kept me wondering who the killer was. In the end I realized that my first choice had been correct (of course since my first choice I'd made about 5 other choices haha). I loved the characters and by the end of the book I felt like they were some of my friends. Friends who I would love to visit again and again. The writing style was fluid and easy to follow and I fe ...more
Rhonda
Jan 04, 2016 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I am reading this series in order and have enjoyed it so far. I love the sensible, somewhat wacky main character, Jane, and this book was my favorite so far. Although definitely not a deep thinking mystery book, it was entertaining and made me laugh a few times.
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane takes a writing class and one obnoxious member is murdered. Another is the murderer.
Amusing.
Monique
Apr 08, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Fun mystery. Enjoyable series.
Jan 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I love the Jane Jeffry mysteries and I especially loved the focus on writing in A Quiche Before Dying. Jane's mom is visiting and they sign up for a class about writing autobiographies. A wretched old woman dies in class and Jane is once again in the middle of a murder investigation. The mystery was great and while I had a few ideas, I wasn't certain until the killer was unveiled. I enjoyed seeing the beginning of Jane's interest in writing and all of the mother/daughter focus between Jane, her ...more
Paula
Nov 01, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this cozy. Refreshing, fun; good characters.
The third book in the Jane Jeffry mystery series.

Jane's mother comes to visit and they decide to take a writing course together. When one of their classmates (An irritating older woman named Mrs. Pryce) is bumped off during a class - Jane steps into detective roll again along with her neighbor/sidekick Shelley.

An easy read and definetly Mystery Light. Someone described Jane Jeffry as a cross between Erma Bombeck and Miss Marples - Great description!
Dianne Davies
Jun 26, 2014 Dianne Davies rated it liked it
I love the characters in this series.
Nancy H
Aug 07, 2013 Nancy H rated it really liked it
I had forgotten how good these cozy mysteries are in this series, featuring sleuth Jane Jeffry. This is an older one, but still very good, in which a nasty old lady is poisoned during a writing class that Jane, her best friend, and her mother are attending. There are a plethora of suspects because the victim was unanimously detested. A good story with a surprise murderer.
Elaine
Jul 27, 2008 Elaine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like mysteries
Ok, so it's not classical literature, but when I've worked all day and I'm exhausted, I love to read Jill Churchill books. They are relaxing, interesting, and well written. They're FUN, ok? I mean, Heart of Darkness is great, but after a hard day slogging it out at work? This is pure escapist literature, and I highly recommend it.
Peggy Archer
Jan 02, 2013 Peggy Archer rated it it was ok
The characters were interesting. My favorite was the victim, and I wasn't crazy about the main character. I thought I'd find more of a mystery to solve here. It took seven chapters before the victim died. For my taste, I wanted more suspense as the story went on. The main character was never in any danger. She simply figured it out.
LJ
A QUICHE BEFORE DYING - Good
Churchill, Jill - 3rd in the Jane Jeffry Series

With her kids away for the summer, Jane Jeffry enrolls in a writing course at the community center and gets an opportunity to practice her sleuthing skills when a classmate keels over dead during a class party.

A good entry in an enjoyable series - light.
Priscilla
Jun 05, 2013 Priscilla added it
Shelves: mystery
I had great hope for this one, especially because the writer has a number of books and it would have been nice to find a new series to read through. But no. Kinda pathetic. Like this spoiler clue from the solution to the mystery: small bamboo birdcage = Japanese internment camp. Because of COURSE it would.
Scilla
Feb 24, 2013 Scilla rated it did not like it
Jane is in a memoir writing class with her mother. At a dinner for the group an obnoxious participant in the class dies of poisoning. Jane does her sleuthing, and received some clues (a bouquet of flowers and a birdcage). She finally figures it out and passes some questions to her policeman friend.
Moira
Mar 31, 2008 Moira rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series, it is quickly becoming a favourite. I particularly enjoyed learning more about Jane's mother, her childhood and the dynamics of her relationship with her mother.

The book left us with the possibility of Jane herself becoming an author. I can't wait to see what happens.
Amanda Sabetai
Jul 18, 2013 Amanda Sabetai rated it did not like it
There were a few small contradictions that were annoying in this book. The author seems to rely on unremarkable dialogue to move the story along. I was interested enough to read until the end to learn who the killer was, but I will not be reading any other titles from this author.
Melissa
Feb 19, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very cute. It was a great, quick read. These are just the kind of books I need when I have so much going on and not a lot of time to sit and read a "heavy" book. I can't wait to continue reading this series.
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane Jeffry is taking a writing class while her kids are at summer camp. So of course, a classmate keels over and she and her best friend Shelley Nowacki have to drive Jane's detective boyfriend Mel crazy by solving the crime.
Shauna
Mar 14, 2008 Shauna rated it liked it
Enjoyable read. I loved meeting Jane's mother. She is a very likable character. The relationship between Jane and Mel is becoming more interesting.
Stephanie
Aug 26, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
I needed a comforting re-read, and this did the trick. The one where the horrible lady in the autobiography-writing class is poisoned.

Reread August 2016.
Lois
Jul 20, 2010 Lois rated it it was ok
Emily
Apr 25, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Another solid story. I really need to break out of my mold lest I get sick of this author too. (For now...I will come back to her).
Lbaker
Aug 28, 2013 Lbaker rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-female
Always light and not too obvious. Enjoyable with Jane's mother Cecily assisting the chase of the murderer of a not at all likable victim.
Pat
Jul 29, 2011 Pat added it
A cute cozy mystery with believable characters and likable suspects and a murder victim who was much despised. Good clues and red herrings.
Michelle
Apr 24, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Easy, fun read. A mystery so you are always guessing and great perspective from the main character who is a stay at home mom.
Debdanz
Jan 29, 2008 Debdanz rated it liked it
this series was fun for a while but got kinda old quick- how many dead bodies is it reasonable for an suburban housewife to find?
Kitty Tomlinson
Nov 27, 2011 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Jane and her mother take a writing class together. When a fellow class member is poisoned to death, Jill investigates.
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • A Case of Nosy Neighbors (Morning Shade Mystery #3)
  • Bye Bye Bertie (Ivy Towers, #2)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)