Start by marking “Ten Red Apples” as Want to Read:
Ten Red Apples

Ten Red Apples

Ten red apples hanging on a tree. Yippee, fiddle-dee-fee! But they are not there for long. Horse, cow, donkey, pig, hen, and the other farm animals each eat one. "Save one for me," calls the farmer. But what about the farmer's wife?

Count on Pat Hutchins to solve the problem happily. And count the red apples before they are all gone!
Published April 5th 2000 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Red Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Red Apples

Krista Lineweaver
Ten Red Apples, is a picturebook that can be read to and enjoyed by the nursery age group. It is about a farmer and his wife that have an apple tree. All of the farm animals continue to eat his apples which leaves none for his wife to make an apple pie, but then they find another one and all is well. It is a very cute, rhyming story that young children would enjoy hearing. I had completed a flannelboard story project using this book and it worked out very well. I was able to make all of the anim ...more
Jess
A counting book that feels like it should have a nice rhyming cadence, but instead has this really awkward fiddle-dee-fee refrain stuck all over the place. Mixed reactions at story time today, but I don't think I'll read this one again anytime soon.
E.S.
Oct 23, 2016 E.S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Pat Hutchins writes and illustrates this number story about a poor farmer who just wants an apple but all of his farm animals keep eating them! First the horse eats one apple, then a cow, and it goes on and on, but eventually the farmer gets his apple! This story is told in rhyme and has a great rhythm to it, except that the “yippee, fiddle-dee-fee” doesn’t have the same rhythm as the line before it (e.g. One red apple hanging on the tree. Yippee, fiddle-dee-fee!) which bothers me a little bit. ...more
Emma
OK the kid loves this (20 months) but the repetition drives me a little crazy ... and I deduct points for gender conservatism. (Why is he the farmer, she the farmer's wife? Are they not both farmers? The farmer wants an apple to eat for himself but wives of course just want them to nurturingly bake pies for everyone. Blurg! This was written in 2000, how hard is it?). Llewellyn would probably give it five stars but that's how we got into this patriarchy mess! Good people going along with the stat ...more
Kirsten
Apr 29, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers and preschool age children
This is a great read-aloud for kids 12-24 months, especially. There's a good repetitive refrain, there's some counting involved, as well as some animal identification. I do make a couple of changes to the text when I read it aloud, though; instead of having the goose say "Hiss, hiss" I usually change it to "Honk, honk," since the hissing strikes me as confusing for young kids. I also stop the book two or three pages early, with the page that says "'Hurray,' said the Farmer, 'you saved some for m ...more
Apr 02, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I used to teach writing word problems. Even though kids got to choose the animal that came along and ate apples off the apple tree, and they had fun with that (unicorns and dragons), this book is waaaaayy less popular than Pet-the-Cat. The craft aspect of the activity I planned to go along with the book kept kids busy and happy (and not bickering) which was helpful during a very tough week for me.

I also repeated my mistake of letting kids copy from the board which was problematic -
Andrew Schoenfelder
Ten Red Apples was a countdown book involving farmers and their animals. The illustrations were bland and simple which works very well for small children. The same illustration was on the left side of every page with one less apple from the tree which would be something fun for kids to follow along with. Reading through the book, you can start to feel the rhythm and beat of the text like your reading a song. If you are musically gifted, putting this into a song could be a more enjoyable way for ...more
Erma Talamante
Apr 12, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s
A good beginners counting book that offers children many chances to learn numbers, counting, simple subtraction, and more! The farm animals come into the story, offering their own voices, which little ones can repeat, building on each as the story progresses and more are added to the edge of the page as more and more apples disappear. A nice way to introduce math without your little one even noticing!
Monica Lopez
This is a poetry based book that is centered around an apple tree that keeps getting it's apples stolen by various culprits. Farm animals such as horses, cows, and pigs each take an apple one by one until there are none left on the tree. The poetry was a bit repetitive throughout the story, but would be good for preschool and kindergarten students. The illustrations are simple, but well done in the fact they can tell the story without the text if needed.
Chanae
I really did not like this book - the only reason I gave it 2 stars is because, unfortunately my little girl (age 2) really likes it. I say unfortunately because she keeps bringing it to me to read it to her.
It is repetitive (which is fine and sometimes a good thing for young readers), but a little too wordy. I think it would be better if it rhymed.
It's great for counting and learning numbers, and my daughter liked pointing to each animal and saying "cow hungry" or "sheep hungry".
Vicki
This is a nice counting book. It was wordy for my Tiny Tots group, so I used the opportunity to share a literacy tip about not having to read all the words or to just talk about the illustrations to the parents. I yucked it up with the yippee, fiddle-dee-fee!

The illustrations have a border at the top of each page and the characters have a certain style which I would call painted wood. They are colorful.
Pamela Howard
This is a great number and operations book that will definitely be a great staple to use when working with lower grade elementary students who are learning to count from 1 to 10. It involves a great deal of subtraction in regards to the horse eating the apples and the illustration showing the idea of more than and less than which will be a standard in the upcoming grades. It can be used a read aloud and within a think-aloud mini lesson in preparation of a subtraction class activity.
Amanda Zell
Feb 19, 2010 Amanda Zell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbgs-1
The farmer is worried that if animals keep eating the apples off of his apple tree, there won't be any left for him.

I would consider this book to be realistic fiction. It would be great for Kindergarten students that are just learning to count. It would be a book that woould engage the entire class and make it easy to have participation from students. The picture is clear and easy to point out that there is one apple missing each time.
Krista
Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins is a wonderful counting, as well as, song book. Elion, loved this book, however, I personally thought the pictures could use an update. Ten Red Apples was published in year 2000, the pictures seem creepy to me. However, my daughter loved it and that is what matters. Plus love, the counting for apple math.
Janet
Hutchins has lots of repeated phrases and rhyming words in this text about the farm animals eating the apples from the tree. There is also the countdown of numbers as the animals eat the apples. Lots of concepts going on here making for a busy book, not really for the very youngest, more for the four and up age group.
Ecl  Storytellers
What a wonderful toddler storytime pick. Even with a full crowd of hyper kids to entertain, this book was a hit. Each new page shows a new tree of apples to count (starting at 10 and working down to 1), and a new animal that eats an apple (hello, animal sounds!). Plus the the farmer says the same thing every time so the kids can say it with you by the end.
Lindsey Bishop
I thought it was a great kids book. It teaches kids how to count down. When reading this to the kids at work they loved it and guessed how many apples were on the next page. It also had clues to what animal is going to come next.
Brooke
This was an engaging book because they can count, give call back, & practice animal noises. It was a bit too long for lapsit, so if used again, shorten to 5 red apples. Also a good book for sharing.
Nina
This fantastic picture book is great for little ones. All the characters and animal look toy like. The rhyme is repetitive, for little ones to read along and count along with the farmer. Recommended for preschoolers and toddlers.
Ashlee Gibson
This book is a great math book for preschooler and kindergarten. Students will love this book becuase it has coloful illustrations. Great counting book that has numbers and animals. Your students will be counting and making animal noises in no time!
Emily Mogg
Aug 27, 2014 Emily Mogg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was not only a picture book that was entertaining for kids, it worked in counting and animals as well. This book allowed the kids to not only learn to count but a chance to work on animal recognition and sounds.
Emily
Oct 17, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is perfect for pre-schoolers and toddlers. Lots of repetition and funny words, in addition to both animal sounds and numbers. It's a favorite at our house that I was as sad to have to return to the library as my son was.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 9/13/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during a Pre-K class visit on 9/30/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Julia
A great counting book full of fun animal sounds and rhyming repetitions.
Jacqueline
Great book to introduce or review numbers and the concept of substraction
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime September 7th and 8th
Theme: Apples
Jennifer Ho
A good book to use for a math lesson. Children can do a graphic activity on which kinds of apples they like best.
Leah
Wonderfully colorful illustrations, repetitive text, counting, farmyard animal noises....seems perfect for a preschool storytime!
Marissa
Aug 18, 2013 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun counting book
Kim Miller
This is a counting book. Very repetative. More for younger children learning to count to ten.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Max's ABC
  • Hello, Day!
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • School Bus
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.
More about Pat Hutchins...