Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life

Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"When you eat raw foods you feel great. I just wanted to share that."-- Juliano
Raw [adj]. 1. clean 2. pure 3. uncontrived 4. free 5. safe 6.uncontaminated

Raw [adj]. 1. uncooked. 2. in the natural state; not processed or manufactured

Cook [v]. 1. to prepare food. 2. Brit. Colloq. to tamper with; falsify.3. slang to ruin

What is Raw?
UNcooked
UNadulterated
UNbelievably Delicio
Published April 27th 1999 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw

Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani PhyoRaw Food Made Easy by Jennifer CornbleetAni's Raw Food Essentials by Ani PhyoGoing Raw by Judita WignallRaw Food/Real World by Matthew Kenney
Raw Food Recipes
39th out of 42 books — 26 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
277th out of 829 books — 832 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
By far the best cookbook I've read on the raw cuisine. Lots of wonderful colored pictures, something that is quite essential to a good cookbook. I wish I could visit Juliano's restaurant! Actually , one day I'm going to do just that. He knows what he's talking about, and I've got to try these recipes at home! So inspiring and easy to follow, whether you're interested in pursuing a raw food lifestyle or not.
Challis
recipes look yummy, am eager to try some.
One question: If you are a gay man, why would you want to look like a woman? Doesn't that seem very contradictory? LOL
If you're attracted to women, wouldn't that mean you're not gay? haha! love the pics! (hilarious( but they totally freaked out my kids. hee hee
Jeanette Johnson
Juliano is the Richard Simmons of the raw food world.

+ Great photos of finished products
+ He chops foods into smaller, bite sized portions in a way I haven't seen other raw chefs do. So when you are chewing, you are experiencing more flavors per mouthful; I like that concept a lot.
+ Gives you comprehensive shopping lists, important for beginners who need to stock up
+ Bread recipes I can't wait to try! The barbecue sauce was AWESOME!

- The ingredient list on some of the recipes are a mile long
- Ju...more
Emily
Actually a 3.5 for creativity, but not the best raw cookbook out there, in my opinion at least. Some recipes looked great, but a lot had expensive or harder to find herbs and ingredients. The prep times were long and the dehydration times were longer (which I would love for someone to tell me how dehydrating bread is NOT cooking it). I did get some recipes I liked out of it though and like I said, A for creativity effort. I would have given it 4 stars if there had been more pictures of the food...more
Heidi
This is an amazing raw cookbook and everything i've ever made from it has been outstanding. There is only one issue, and the reason it got four stars instead of five, most of the recipes have 20 ingrediants; taking quite a bit of time and effort to make. If you are cool with that you will be highly rewarded with gourmet amazing raw delights. Oh, oh, oh! Let's not overlook the ultimatly halarious pix of Juliano, the flamingly gay L.A. author, that adorn the inside of the book. He is adorable!
Maureen13
This book is NOT for beginning cooks or basically anyone who is not a chef. Some of the recipes are easy, but many of them are ultra complicated and have a complex line of ingredients that led you on a scavenger hunt. Also, you need a dehydrator, obscure ingredients, a coffee grinder, food processor, and a blender....to say the least.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Interesting book, full of Juliano's personality. If you were to live this lifestyle the way he's mapped it out, you'd have to be quite well-off and have lots of time, space, and patience. As another reviewer said, the recipes are quite complicated. Maybe someday when I have a personal chef I will get more excited about this book.
Kate
Oct 13, 2008 Kate added it
Shelves: 2008, cookbooks
Many of these recipes are raw versions of very traditional cooked foods, like pizza, nachos, and meatloaf, which seems kind of lame to me. Also, you need a dehydrator for most of the interesting stuff, like the simulated nacho cheese. I'd prefer something more basic with less prep, which is what normally keeps me away from raw food.
Pamela
Detailed recipes and NOT for the beginner. Too overwhelming for me. Too many ingredients and complex directions, and let's not even talk about all the photos of the author. Sure would love to visit his restaurant and taste his gorgeous food, but have no inclination to painstakingly create them in my own kitchen.
Monica
Oct 15, 2011 Monica added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful book with wonderful pictures, but the recipes all take half a day to make - definitely special occasion meals. Even though "Juliano" goes on and on in the intro about how easy it is to go raw, the recipes in THIS book are not a sustainable basis for a 100% raw food diet.
Shanna Davis
If for nothing else, pick this book up to see pics of Juliano, I had the privilege of seeing him in his full long-haired, yoga pants wearing glory. His restaurant is AMAZING, but if you are inspired to make anything from this book, set aside about $40 and at least five hours.
Aradia
I am not a raw-food vegan but the recipes in this book are great for hot summer days when you can't bare to have the oven on, or when you are having an outdoor gathering. There are beautiful photos of food and serving ideas in this book as well. Ahhh, fruit soup. :-D
Jackie Donnelly (Baisa)
This (un)cookbook had lovely pictures, but the recipes all had an ingredients list a mile long (and really obscure stuff). The other raw-foods cookbooks I've read have been a little less "out there" than this one. This was BEYOND gourmet...
Isis Isis
Some of these recipes are lacking in fundamental flavors, as in ultra sour/bitter - others are far too sweet. Take care in tasting/adjusting flavors to suit your palate. This is not a good introductory cookbook - its a good second book
Karli
Pretentiously complicated recipes by a once lovable turned Hollywood egomaniac raw food chef. There are much better, more realistic and comprehensible raw food recipe books out there. Don't waste your time on this one.
Underachiever
I noticed a lot of inconsistencies and typos. The recipes are pretty involved/complicated. The pictures are hysterical. I haven't been able to muster up the desire to wait a whole day for the prep of one of these dishes.
Jean
Interesting. Have been exploring the idea of eating raw. Still don't know if I can do it. It actually seems like more work, than cooking the food. But this book is glossy and glamourous and it also educates.
Adrienna
It was interesting to know that you can eat raw foods without cooking...but I am not into rawness eating. I was trying to eat healthier and trying some of the ideas to eat less meat....some were good!
Annette
This book is full of very yummy recipes...but they included lots of preparation and ingredients. Maybe it would be good for special occasions or the gourmet with oodles of time!
Heather
This guy has pretty hair (he likes putting pictures of himself in the book...), great pictures of food and interesting ideas. I keep wondering if I should try some.
M.tirshman
My first book when I was I discovering the raw food diet and even though I am no longer totally on a raw food diet I still enjoy many of Julliano's recipes
Eric Rickey
I went to this restaurant back in 1996. Wow! That was awesome! Great food, great atmosphere. It got me hooked on learning how to make some of this.
Holly
I'm curious about raw cuisine, but this book is not as practical as others I've seen. But I admire the author, who was a pioneer in the raw movement.
Alison
Feb 25, 2009 Alison is currently reading it
Trying to incorporate more raw foods in my diet. This is a colorful teacher, lots of pictures with recipes, and lessons on raw food! I'm in love!
Lori Dyann
Mostly gourmet recipes, no health info, some color photos, but harsh on the eyes graphic designs.

Not the best choice for beginners.
Jamie
There are tooooo many ingredients in each recipe and most recipes call for way too much oil. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Alicia
Jan 09, 2008 Alicia marked it as to-read
Shelves: cooking
I am going to get this book. I just got a dehydrator used for $15 so I will get more out of this book.
Lorianne Sidhe
Inspiring and beautiful to look at, completely impractical otherwise.
Frank
lots of complex recipes. not for beginners. has awesome ideas.
Brandi Bates
Apr 05, 2011 Brandi Bates is currently reading it
So far, everything in this UNcook book appears delicious...
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time
  • The Candle Cafe Cookbook: More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
The Complete Book of Raw Food, Second Edition: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods (The Complete Book of Raw Food Series)