Start by marking “Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child” as Want to Read:
Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child

Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child

"Is my baby in heaven?"

This is the most important question a grieving parent can ask. And even if the little one is someone else's child, the issue remains: What happens to children?those unborn, stillborn, or youngsters?when they die? Can you hope to see them again? Can you let go of your fear and guilt? Can God's love soothe a wound so jagged?

With scriptural authority an
Published July 8th 2003 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Safe in the Arms of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe in the Arms of God

Beckie
Feb 11, 2011 Beckie rated it it was amazing
I'm probably going to have to read this book a few more times before I can give a full review of it but in short, my boyfriend lent it to me because he thought it might be helpful regarding a miscarriage I had that resulted from rape.

I still don't know if I'm able to write completely openly about this book but one thing I can say for sure is that it changed my entire world and entire view on a "thing called it" that was a "rape baby" God was gracious enough to spare from having to live in this
Jun 29, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has experienced the loss of an infant.
Recommended to Laura by: Jill/Ross Ramsey
Shelves: baby
After just losing & giving birth to my stillborn baby son at 36 wks, I really took comfort in what this book had to say. I appreciated MacArthur's scriptural look at what happens at an infant's death. I had no doubts, but wow, my thoughts of heaven have been expanded.
Diana Sims
Mar 10, 2017 Diana Sims rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story, helped me when I lost my son.
Joel Carter
Feb 04, 2017 Joel Carter rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful to me after losing a child to miscarriage. I always "felt" that babies had to go to heaven, but wouldn't have been able to defend that very well biblically. This book explains it very well biblically. Spoiler alert...babies do go to heaven.
James Harmeling
Mar 08, 2013 James Harmeling rated it really liked it
MacArthur presents a solid case for God's saving mercy on infants and disabled. This is a needed balance to the speculative position of some in the Reformed camp who offer little or no hope for a perishing infant because they claim the child never responded in faith to Christ or was not part of the elect. This brief treatment of this important issue gives pastors and church leaders solid biblical ground to offer hope to grieving or uncertain parents.

MacArthur does not merely give the reader inf
Kayla
Jan 08, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I didn't read every page of this book, but I read what I felt applied to me. (I actually read it at the bookstore. I was just going to flip through it to see if I should buy it on Amazon and I couldn't put it down.) It really is a very well written and comforting book. It covers everything from miscarriage, stillbirths to young children dying. There were quite a few times where I read a paragraph and felt it was saying exactly what I had been needing to hear. It also helped me analyze my frame o ...more
Rachel Lundy
Feb 06, 2014 Rachel Lundy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, 2014
Many people have questions about babies and young children who die. Do they go to Heaven, and if so, how do we know that? In this book John MacArthur answers questions such as:
• Where is my child?
• What can we say with certainty to those with empty arms?
• How does God regard children?
• Will I see my child again?
• How shall we minister to those who are grieving?

I recommend this book to anyone who has lost a baby or young child or to anyone who is ministering to a friend who is dealing with the de
Michael Cranford
Jan 01, 2013 Michael Cranford rated it it was ok
Scripture is not silent about God's opinion of little ones and His promises are clear. While MacArthur handles some of these promises, he delves too deeply into trying to prove the theory of an age of accountability. If you take MacArthur's questionable theology into consideration, parts of this book are worth reading but it's probably not worth reading cover to cover.

For grieving parents, 2 Samuel 12 and Matthew Henry's corresponding commentary offer a hope that exceeds what can be derived from
Hopson
Oct 23, 2016 Hopson rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book to learn how to care for dear friends in the loss of their child. In this brief, clear, biblical book, John MacArthur carefully explains why Christians can be confident that when young children and the mentally incompetent die they are safe in the arms of God. MacArthur successfully avoids both sentimentalism and cynicism while unpacking a biblical position that will encourage many. I strongly recommend this book, especially for those who have lost a child like we hav ...more
Brad
Mar 26, 2011 Brad rated it it was amazing
Very tender, very helpful, and very readable. MacArtrhur covers all the major questions in this book and he gives straightforward, biblical answers. His years of pastoral experience come out not only in his tone, but also in the several real-life examples he gives. Many of the real-life examples are honest personal testimonies and will be a rich source of comfort to grieving parents. The book even ends with a short chapter on advice to those who are trying to comfort those grieving the loss of a ...more
Craig Forrester
Every pastor ought to read this book. For that matter, every Christian ought to read this book too, because it is just as much a exposition on sin and salvation, as well as Christian living, as it is on the salvation of infants. MacArthurs presents a great deal of solid, Biblical support for his views. Whether or not you ultimately agree with its conclusions, reading this book will still be extremely valuable, for wrestling with the questions that it deals with.
Kelli
Jan 21, 2011 Kelli rated it it was amazing
I found this book very helpful in processing what I believed about my son. I carried him, knowing that he had a fatal diagnosis and that we were unlikely to be able to know him for long, so I had a lot of time to try to reason through what I know about the character of God and what the Bible does and doesn't say about death/Heaven. This book provided a lot of information, and I appreciated the comfort.
Jamie
Jul 26, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I wish every believer would read this, not just those who have personally lost a child, but also those who have wondered about the destiny of little ones who die young. It is an excellent resource for those in ministry as well as a wonderful comfort for those who are grieving. Very important read, in my opinion.
Tristan
Jul 21, 2016 Tristan rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed in this book. I lost my daughter September 2, 2013. I heard all the typical "Well, she's in Heaven now" and "God just needed another angel". While I am a true believer in Jesus, I needed something more tangible, more... earthbound. While this book is a fantastic read for parents experiencing loss, it was not a book for me.
Logan
Jan 28, 2014 Logan rated it it was ok
I think MacArthur makes some assumptions that are unwarranted from Scripture. I prefer the wording of the Westminster Confession the "elect children" are received into heaven. Whether that is all or some, I just don't know. I know MacArthur would find that not very comforting but I do find comfort in resting in God's providence and love.
Charles
May 13, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing
scriptural support that locks down this issue. i'm glad to fill in the grey areas that i have from lack of knowledge. this book filled in one of those i don't know areas with solid confidence in what gods word speaks to the issue.
Georgia Herod
Jun 17, 2016 Georgia Herod rated it really liked it
A comprehensive Biblical study on the questions surrounding the death of a child—outstanding! Very sensitively and compassionately written. The chapter “Why Did My Child Have to Die?” contains eight purposes for trials and tragedies—excellent.

Kivette
Jan 01, 2014 Kivette rated it really liked it
MacArthur presents a well-written and well-presented case with Biblical support for all of his claims. His "bed-side manner" is calming and soothing. I definitely recommend this for parents who have lost a child, whether it was in early childhood, infancy, or prenatal (miscarriage).
Pearl King
Oct 31, 2014 Pearl King rated it liked it
Short, easy to read book. I would reccomend this for anyone who has lost a child, but also for anyone else. The information regarding heaven is uplifting to everyone. It also gives you some insight in how to speak to and/or comfort those who have lost a child. Good information for everyone.
Austin Mcgrath
Nov 20, 2014 Austin Mcgrath rated it liked it
A pretty short, honest and straight to the point. Macarthur actually does a good job of maintaining hope and joy for the parents while being honest. This would be a spectacular read for parents who have lost a child.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
I didn't read every bit of it, but I did read a majority. I read mainly the chapters that I had questions about and skimmed the others. This is a very good book. I learned a lot and it was very encouraging. It even answered some questions for me.
Chuck Bonadies
Aug 16, 2012 Chuck Bonadies rated it really liked it
Great book for a grieving parent.
Beth
Jul 12, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Encouraging read for a grieving parent as it gives a number of Scriptural bases for our hope of seeing our little ones again.
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
My poor son cried on some parts, but it's still important to understand God's grace and goodness ;)
Clari
Jan 26, 2011 Clari rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Well. It gave a strong argument.
But no actual evidence. So thought it was good, he didn't prove anything to me.

Norma
May 03, 2012 Norma rated it it was amazing
A great book that helped me understand where my baby is supported by His Word. It has many examples of very sad stories, but the doctrine of it is wonderful!
Aug 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This is a Christian-inspired book that anyone who has experienced or has a loved one who has experienced a stillbirth or miscarriage. What a remarkable, life-changing book!
Amber
Dec 30, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
It was a decent book on heaven and the loss of a child.... it tries to answer the hardest questions, and does a pretty good job. There were a lot of tear jerker real-life stories and good lessons.
Will Pareja
MacArthur bleeds bibline. Good book. Very pastoral. A little too much "being reunited with loved ones" for my comfort as opposed to Jesus being the best thing about heaven.
Kesha
Nov 08, 2014 Kesha rated it it was amazing
Very thoughtful and tender but full of biblical proof.
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • A Grace Revealed: How God Redeems the Story of Your Life
  • God's Missionary
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
  • Then Sings My Soul
  • Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • All Things for Good
  • Summary of Christian Doctrine
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more
More about John F. MacArthur Jr....