Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven about the Death of a Child

Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven about the Death of a Child

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"Is my baby in heaven?"

This is the most important question a grieving parent can ask. And even if the little one is someone else's child, the issue remains: What happens to children―those unborn, stillborn, or youngsters―when they die? Can you hope to see them again? Can you let go of your fear and guilt? Can God's love soothe a wound so jagged?

With scriptural authority an...more
Published July 10th 2003 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Safe in the Arms of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe in the Arms of God

Beckie
I'm probably going to have to read this book a few more times before I can give a full review of it but in short, my boyfriend lent it to me because he thought it might be helpful regarding a miscarriage I had that resulted from rape.

I still don't know if I'm able to write completely openly about this book but one thing I can say for sure is that it changed my entire world and entire view on a "thing called it" that was a "rape baby" God was gracious enough to spare from having to live in this...more
Jul 13, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has experienced the loss of an infant.
Recommended to Laura by: Jill/Ross Ramsey
Shelves: baby
After just losing & giving birth to my stillborn baby son at 36 wks, I really took comfort in what this book had to say. I appreciated MacArthur's scriptural look at what happens at an infant's death. I had no doubts, but wow, my thoughts of heaven have been expanded.
James Harmeling
MacArthur presents a solid case for God's saving mercy on infants and disabled. This is a needed balance to the speculative position of some in the Reformed camp who offer little or no hope for a perishing infant because they claim the child never responded in faith to Christ or was not part of the elect. This brief treatment of this important issue gives pastors and church leaders solid biblical ground to offer hope to grieving or uncertain parents.

MacArthur does not merely give the reader inf...more
Logan
I think MacArthur makes some assumptions that are unwarranted from Scripture. I prefer the wording of the Westminster Confession the "elect children" are received into heaven. Whether that is all or some, I just don't know. I know MacArthur would find that not very comforting but I do find comfort in resting in God's providence and love.
Kayla
I didn't read every page of this book, but I read what I felt applied to me. (I actually read it at the bookstore. I was just going to flip through it to see if I should buy it on Amazon and I couldn't put it down.) It really is a very well written and comforting book. It covers everything from miscarriage, stillbirths to young children dying. There were quite a few times where I read a paragraph and felt it was saying exactly what I had been needing to hear. It also helped me analyze my frame o...more
Jamie
Excellent book. I wish every believer would read this, not just those who have personally lost a child, but also those who have wondered about the destiny of little ones who die young. It is an excellent resource for those in ministry as well as a wonderful comfort for those who are grieving. Very important read, in my opinion.
Brad
Very tender, very helpful, and very readable. MacArtrhur covers all the major questions in this book and he gives straightforward, biblical answers. His years of pastoral experience come out not only in his tone, but also in the several real-life examples he gives. Many of the real-life examples are honest personal testimonies and will be a rich source of comfort to grieving parents. The book even ends with a short chapter on advice to those who are trying to comfort those grieving the loss of a...more
Shawn
This is a good book on a difficult issue.
Michael Cranford
Scripture is not silent about God's opinion of little ones and His promises are clear. While MacArthur handles some of these promises, he delves too deeply into trying to prove the theory of an age of accountability. If you take MacArthur's questionable theology into consideration, parts of this book are worth reading but it's probably not worth reading cover to cover.

For grieving parents, 2 Samuel 12 and Matthew Henry's corresponding commentary offer a hope that exceeds what can be derived from...more
Craig Forrester
Every pastor ought to read this book. For that matter, every Christian ought to read this book too, because it is just as much a exposition on sin and salvation, as well as Christian living, as it is on the salvation of infants. MacArthurs presents a great deal of solid, Biblical support for his views. Whether or not you ultimately agree with its conclusions, reading this book will still be extremely valuable, for wrestling with the questions that it deals with.
Kivette
MacArthur presents a well-written and well-presented case with Biblical support for all of his claims. His "bed-side manner" is calming and soothing. I definitely recommend this for parents who have lost a child, whether it was in early childhood, infancy, or prenatal (miscarriage).
Kelli
I found this book very helpful in processing what I believed about my son. I carried him, knowing that he had a fatal diagnosis and that we were unlikely to be able to know him for long, so I had a lot of time to try to reason through what I know about the character of God and what the Bible does and doesn't say about death/Heaven. This book provided a lot of information, and I appreciated the comfort.
Mickel Millard
John does a wonderful explaining what happens to a child when tragedy strikes and death results. He is very sensitive to the issues of losing a beloved child. For those having lost a child to abortion living with the guilt, your child is safe in the loving arms of God. A wonderful read, and provided insightful information based on the Word of God. A must read for those who have a lost child.
Michelle
I didn't read every bit of it, but I did read a majority. I read mainly the chapters that I had questions about and skimmed the others. This is a very good book. I learned a lot and it was very encouraging. It even answered some questions for me.
Charles
scriptural support that locks down this issue. i'm glad to fill in the grey areas that i have from lack of knowledge. this book filled in one of those i don't know areas with solid confidence in what gods word speaks to the issue.
Amber
It was a decent book on heaven and the loss of a child.... it tries to answer the hardest questions, and does a pretty good job. There were a lot of tear jerker real-life stories and good lessons.
Nanci Fils-Aime
This book helped me when my baby died last year! I still find myself going back to the book and referencing! I found this to be a great book for those that have lost children! Great Book!
This is a Christian-inspired book that anyone who has experienced or has a loved one who has experienced a stillbirth or miscarriage. What a remarkable, life-changing book!
Justin Orman
Good book on a difficult and emotionally charged issue. Can we be certain regarding this? Perhaps not, but MacArthur shows how the Bible gives us strong reason to hope.
Norma
A great book that helped me understand where my baby is supported by His Word. It has many examples of very sad stories, but the doctrine of it is wonderful!
Beth
Encouraging read for a grieving parent as it gives a number of Scriptural bases for our hope of seeing our little ones again.
Clari
Well. It gave a strong argument.
But no actual evidence. So thought it was good, he didn't prove anything to me.

Daniel Tai
probably the only book out there that explains from a Christian perspective to what happens to the innocent.
Tiffany
My poor son cried on some parts, but it's still important to understand God's grace and goodness ;)
Cbass
I'd like to read again to see what I think of his views now after a couple of years....
Cindy Thomas reher
This is the best book I have read since losing my daughter to SIDS last year
Devon Hernandez
I can't begin to explain how much of a blessing this book has been.
Erik Spohr
Clear, Biblical, Compassionate, Valuable.
Chuck Bonadies
Great book for a grieving parent.
Jason
A great book for the worst times.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Reformed evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and as...more
More about John MacArthur...
Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You Twelve Ordinary Men Slave: The Hidden Truth about Your Identity in Christ The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception Ashamed Of The Gospel: When The Church Becomes Like The World