Start by marking “The Encyclopaedia of Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The Encyclopedia of Monsters is an authoritative guide to every kind of monster, ranging from the Abominable Snowman to werewolves. The book includes creatures of lakes and rivers, of sea, the land and the air. There is a description of each creature's curious physical characteristics, it's habits and probable location.

The book also gives accounts of expeditions in search
Published 1989 by Michael O'Mara Books Ltd (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclopaedia of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

Alex
Sep 15, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to take this book out of the library rather often when I was younger, so there's a lot of nostalgia in this book, but at the time I was too young to really delve into the longer entries. When I got older, upon re-finding the title, I just had to get a copy off eBay.

For the most part, this volume is a bit of a cryptozoology primer. It discusses some of the more common and intriguing cases, and touches on bits of folklore as well. The information keeps an open mind without being overly fan
Andrew Romero
Oct 28, 2014 Andrew Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was really good I enjoyed every story that they put in the book. this book had lots of stories of different monsters from classics to new or unheard of ones. I like it doesn't just include a specific countries monster they have general ones.this book reminds me of some childhood classics that I loved as a kid. I would only recommend this to people who like monster or who are trying to practice Spanish.
Reg Franklin
Oct 15, 2013 Reg Franklin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in elementary school, I found a hardcover copy of this book in my school library. That night, I hid it in my closet because I was so terrified of the contents, returned it the next day, and it took my until grade 8 or so to pick it up again. It's a fascinating read regarding those things that go bump in the night, all based on folklore, legends or "first-hand accounts", along with a chapter on some of the more famous hoaxes that have happened. It covers the gamut of hominids (Sasquatc ...more
Ken
Jul 18, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult, library
An enjoyable overview of all the monsters and animals that someone has at one time or another thought might actually exist. Highlights for me were the Devil's Footprints, Mothman, and Spring-Heeled Jack.
Bmj2k
May 20, 2012 Bmj2k rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 5 stars and it is totally subjective. This book, along with Cohen's other encyclopedias (ghosts, etc) were the books of my youth and I still have them. They are still fun to flip through.
Pancake Toad
Pancake Toad rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Purley College
Purley College marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
B
B rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Serena Ireland
Serena Ireland marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Keiondrey
Keiondrey marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Rodney
Rodney rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Kassidy
Kassidy marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Brighthalo
Brighthalo marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
K.T. Katzmann
K.T. Katzmann rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Sandy
Sandy added it
Sep 16, 2015
Karen Gerstle
Karen Gerstle rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Sean!
Sean! rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Rachelle DeMunck
Rachelle DeMunck rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Lace
Lace marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Yvan S
Yvan S marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Daniel Edward Cohen was born on March 12, 1936, in Chicago, Illinois. His parents divorced when he was very young and his mother, Sue Greenberg, married Milton Cohen, a veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. Daniel Cohen attended Chicago public schools and was a "hanger-on" in the bohemian community around the University of Chicago while in high school in the early 1950s. He attended the Universi ...more
More about Daniel Cohen...