Start by marking “The Encyclopaedia of Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Encyclopedia of Monsters is an authoritative guide to every kind of monster, ranging from the Abominable Snowman to werewolves. The book includes creatures of lakes and rivers, of sea, the land and the air. There is a description of each creature's curious physical characteristics, it's habits and probable location.

The book also gives accounts of expeditions in search
Published 1989 by Michael O'Mara Books Ltd (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclopaedia of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclopaedia of Monsters

Alex
I used to take this book out of the library rather often when I was younger, so there's a lot of nostalgia in this book, but at the time I was too young to really delve into the longer entries. When I got older, upon re-finding the title, I just had to get a copy off eBay.

For the most part, this volume is a bit of a cryptozoology primer. It discusses some of the more common and intriguing cases, and touches on bits of folklore as well. The information keeps an open mind without being overly fan
Andrew Romero
this book was really good I enjoyed every story that they put in the book. this book had lots of stories of different monsters from classics to new or unheard of ones. I like it doesn't just include a specific countries monster they have general ones.this book reminds me of some childhood classics that I loved as a kid. I would only recommend this to people who like monster or who are trying to practice Spanish.
Reg Franklin
When I was in elementary school, I found a hardcover copy of this book in my school library. That night, I hid it in my closet because I was so terrified of the contents, returned it the next day, and it took my until grade 8 or so to pick it up again. It's a fascinating read regarding those things that go bump in the night, all based on folklore, legends or "first-hand accounts", along with a chapter on some of the more famous hoaxes that have happened. It covers the gamut of hominids (Sasquatc ...more
Ken
An enjoyable overview of all the monsters and animals that someone has at one time or another thought might actually exist. Highlights for me were the Devil's Footprints, Mothman, and Spring-Heeled Jack.
Bmj2k
I gave this 5 stars and it is totally subjective. This book, along with Cohen's other encyclopedias (ghosts, etc) were the books of my youth and I still have them. They are still fun to flip through.
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Rachelle DeMunck
Rachelle DeMunck is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2015
Lace
Lace marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Yvan S
Yvan S marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Martin Georgiev
Martin Georgiev marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Becs
Becs marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Biancareyne Djafar-zade
Biancareyne Djafar-zade marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Ricky
Ricky marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Adam Crowley
Adam Crowley marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Mac Wangai
Mac Wangai marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Daniel Edward Cohen was born on March 12, 1936, in Chicago, Illinois. His parents divorced when he was very young and his mother, Sue Greenberg, married Milton Cohen, a veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. Daniel Cohen attended Chicago public schools and was a "hanger-on" in the bohemian community around the University of Chicago while in high school in the early 1950s. He attended the Universi ...more
More about Daniel Cohen...
Civil War Ghosts Railway Ghosts and Highway Horrors Southern Fried Rat and Other Gruesome Tales Great Ghosts Ghostly Terrors