Start by marking “Mice And Beans” as Want to Read:
Mice And Beans

Mice And Beans

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Rosa Maria loves to cook big meals for her big family. "When there's room in the heart, there's room in the house, Except for a mouse". That's what her mother always said, so for one week, as she meticulously prepares for her youngest grandchild's birthday party, she takes extra care in tidying her kitchen. But strangely, important items -- like her wooden spoon, her big b ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Scholastic Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mice And Beans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mice And Beans

Kristen Herzog
Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan is a fun read about a grandmother who is trying to get ready for a birthday party. As she is preparing she is carefully trying to avoid mice in her house. The funny part about this story is that with whatever she is preparing, the mice come and take a little of it for themselves. As the story continues and grandmother finishes preparing for the party she forgets to fill the piñata. Fortunately for her the mice have taken care of this for her and once she discover ...more
Michael
This is a silly little story about a grandmother preparing a birthday party for her grandchild, and the mice who have their own plans in the background. The illustrations are fun and vibrant, sometimes hilarious, and show things from many clever angles. There are repeated scenes where the mousetraps disappear and the grandmother thinks she is just losing her mind. I found it very amusing and the ending has a great payoff, especially if you take in all the details.
Lu Benke
There's a lot to like about this book: the bright pink house with a small crowded yard and the mismatched furniture, the grandma that wears froo-froo slippers and strings lines across her kitchen to hang the ironed napkins, the traditional menu for a birthday celebration and the traditional over-crowded house during the celebration. The authenticity of this book representing the house of a fun-loving Latina grandmother is wonderful and the grandmother is the epitome of resiliency, but there is n ...more
Clairissa D
Mice and Beans is a children's book about a grandmother named Rosa who is in the process of planning her granddaughters seventh birthday. From the very beginning of the story you realize that she is not a fan of rats. Each day she plans for a different part of the party and each day she sets out mouse traps for the Mice. As she goes forth she begins missing little things and her mice traps are disappearing. She becomes forgetful and does not put the candy in the pinata. The day of the party she ...more
J-Lynn
This is a cute story of an old woman, Rosa Maria, preparing for a big family party. The readers spend a week with her as she finds the piñata, bakes the rice and beans, and sets up mouse traps that mysteriously disappear. While she plans her party, the mice that live in her house plan their party as well. And when Rosa Maria forgets to stuff the piñata, the benevolent mice quickly come to her rescue. Intermixed throughout the text are Spanish phrases, and the back of the book has a glossary and ...more
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
When granny begins to plan her granddaughters birthday, she thinks she’s losing her mind as all the things she buys or gathers together to make her signature dish disappear. But then she learns the truth and life in her kitchen and home will never be the same. A fun, silly book written with a mix of English and Spanish.

Eric Summers
A grandmother is preparing a birthday party for her youngest grandchild Catalina. Unfortunately, she is a bit scatter brained and sometimes forget things, and on top of that, she keeps losing things. Fortunately, the mice who share her home are not just freeloaders, they lend a hand when needed.

This is a book that you cannot blow through quickly to kill time in your class if you want your kids to enjoy it. It is a fun read-aloud, if you make sure to put plenty of heart into the reading. If you a
Leta Huffman
Joe Cepeda's oil paint illustrations are beautiful and rich with color! The story is repetitious so young children can follow it easily, and the story is adorable. The story follows Rosa Maria as she prepares for her grandaughter's birthday party throughout the week. This book shows us how hispanics get ready for birthday parties, by what kinds of food and games are present. In the back there is a glossary that shows pronunciations of Spanish words that were sprinkled throughout the text. I like ...more
Ashleigh
This is a fun read aloud for young children. It incorporates lots of spanish vocabulary and has a glossary at the end to review the words that were used. I think that Pam Munoz Ryan chose great words to include though because it would be a great way for children to guess what the word means in context. I love the illustrations in this story! In order to understand the humor of this story and to truly understand what is going on, you are forced as the reader to engage with the illustrations. The ...more
Lila Brantley
If there is room in the heart, there is room in the house, but not for a mouse. At least, that is the saying of the grandmother is this book. She is preparing for her granddaughter’s birthday party. Family, food, games, and gifts are on her list of things to do, not to mention catching those pesky mice. Mice keep stealing her traps and other items that are for the party. In her haste, she forgets to fill the piñata for the party, but mysteriously the candy is there. Who were her helpers? The mic ...more
Laura Haske
This is a cute story with some Spanish vocabulary. A Grandma is getting ready for her granddaughter's birthday and finds some unexpected help in her home.
Alejandra Rayo
I love this book because it is made for children

Emily
This book is almost identical to Chato and the Party Animals. I like this book because it incorporates both English and Spanish. The only difference is that in this book you don't have to use a dictionary or have to look closely at the context clues to figure out the meaning of the Spanish words. The character says a word or sentence in Spanish, but for the most part always says the English word/s right after.

This book would be great to use to help English speaking students learn Spanish, or Spa
Brianna Boyce
This is a wonderful book about a forgetful Grandmother who is planning a party for her Granddaughter. The book focuses on family from the Hispanic culture and provides a plethora of new words to learn.
Tara Gale
This is also a wonderful book by Pam Munoz Ryan. This is a book I would read to a future classroom although there wouldnt be any curriculum behind it. I was not the biggest fan of the pictures but all and all they weren't bad. I am glad that I read this book in relations to my author study. Pam Munoz Ryan talks often of her grandmother and I feel that the main character in this book muxt have been inspired by her. That was a very intresting connection to make.
Amber Adams
This book tells the story of a grandmother who is planning a party, however she has some uninvited guests who make the planning easier. The mice end up helping the grandma plan the party and do many of the tasks that the grandmother forgot to do. This book uses repetition (and every night she turned off the lights and went to bed) and specific details to engage readers. I would use this in my classroom to teach repetition and how to use specific details.
Melissa
I thought it was really neat how the text was written with color and style. I like the concept of the double story. The text talks about Grandma while the pictures tell the story of the mice. There is a great repeat pattern for students to chant along with at the end of each page. This book provides a great opportunity for teaching inferring or predicting. The pictures give hints about what will go missing the following day!
Jess
Mar 12, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Jess by: Mom
Shelves: z_12, picture-books
Rosa Maria is planning for her granddaughter's birthday...perhaps some mice are as well.

A happy story with helpful mice and colorful illustrations. Rosa Maria is as kind as you'd like her to be.

Practice reading ahead if you don't speak Spanish. And if you don't, "No importa!" -- a pronunciation guide is include in the back of the book for the 15 or so Spanish words used.
Olivia Jackson
This book is a great way to link Spanish heritage to literature. It had a few words in Spanish, but they were followed by clues in English to help the reader understand the meaning of the word. It was also an amusing look at what a Spanish birthday party would be like; students could use this to compare their traditional birthday parties to the one in the book.
Tara
This book shows that it doesn't matter if you have mice as long as you and your family are together everything else will fall into place. You could use this book for a spanish lesson because it has many spanish words in it. You could use this to show children how to figure out the meaning of a word by looking at teh sentences around it.
Barbara Lovejoy
This author is a favorite so that is probably why I have this book from the 2003 NABE (National Assn. for Bilingual Education) Conference. It is a delightful book sprinkled with Spanish words and reflecting the Hispanic culture. It's a book to put in our Esperanza Library--in the Founding Board members' section.
Fisal Ansari

Latino

Illustrations:
drawings.

Personal response:
I learned about pinyatas and Latino foods and traditions.

Curricular or programming connections:
Social studies lesson.
Lalena
Me gusta mucho este livro. Las ilustracíones son vibrantes y bellas. La abuelita y los ratones son dulces y graciosos. Mientras de leyendo imaginaba la voz de mi abuela.

Por favor corregir mis errores. Aprendo Español.
Kate
Rosa Maria is planning a party for her granddaughter and everyone is invited, except the mice. They have plans for their own celebration, but still find the time to help Rosa Maria with her party, with out her knowledge.
Sara
Pam Munoz Ryan is one of my favorite children's authors. This is a cute story about mice that help out the woman by filling a pinata for her. In return for their help, she lets them stay in her home.
Amanda Taylor
This is just another fun book to read to the students. It gives a little information about a cultural background but just talks about how the mice is trying to provide for his family as well.
John Wick
A very cute story about a grandmother who wants to make a birthday a success for her grandchild. Only problem is that there are MICE! Nice story which brings in a lot of hispanic cultural elements.
Amy
I liked Mice and Beans, I thought it was really cute. My niece and nephew thought it was, and I quote my niece, "kind of boring." Hm. Ok then.
Hannah Moss
Mice and Beans would help in teaching students Spanish. Throughout the book there were different reference to certain words in the language.
Hillary Flatt
This book was good at teaching the days of the week. It was also a good book to teach Spanish to children. I really enjoyed this book!
  • Just a Minute!
  • Coming on Home Soon
  • I'm Not.
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
A former teacher, she lives in Leucadia, California with her family.
More about Pam Muñoz Ryan...
Esperanza Rising Becoming Naomi León The Dreamer Riding Freedom Paint the Wind