Start by marking “We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars” as Want to Read:
We Danced All Night: A Social History  of Britain Between the Wars

We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars

Martin Pugh offers a uniquely untraditional view of Britain’s inter-war period; that among the many dramatic social changes taking place, our modern consumer society of dedicated shoppers effectively took shape during the 1930s.
Published August 5th 2008 by Bodley Head (first published July 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about We Danced All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Danced All Night

Cleo Bannister
Feb 19, 2017 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, own
This history book concentrates on the history between the wars, something I was keen to know more about as inevitably this period is overshadowed by those very wars.

The book is split into chapters each one looking at different aspects of the period, including the role of women, crime, schooling, childhood etc. which makes reading it a pleasure. This is an easy book to dip into and gain some insight into the lives our ancestors would have lived. Hugh doesn't ignore the past in this link and in pl
Geraldine
Aug 03, 2016 Geraldine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2016, 20s-30s
Mixed feelings about this. Subjectively, I enjoyed it a lot. Objectively, big spoonful of salt. Flawed but highly recommendable.

It's not a 'scholarly' work although I acknowledge that it took a tremendous amount of research to make it happen. I wasn't looking for a scholarly work, but for a readable sweeping overview and that is certainly what I got.

The book is divided into chapters - about 20 - on different themes that I chose to read one by one. But it would have been equally readable if I had
Melissa
Aug 11, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book even though some sections were a little boring to me, the rest of the book which had me intrigued totally made up for that. The only reason I got a little bored with some sections was because I am not totally 100% interested in politics and can only take it in short bursts.

However having said that I would recommend this book as some chapters are absolutely rivetting and you can find out so much about 1920's Britain, which I often feel is kind of clouded over as simply
Ant Harrison
Nov 21, 2011 Ant Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Really enjoyed Martin Pugh’s social history of Britain between the wars; it covers so much ground, but never in a dull or boring way. This book is totally engaging, with discussions on subjects as diverse as women’s suffrage, mass entertainment, motor transport, monarchy, and immigration, and all of them framed within a political context. It’s a long book – 500 pages – but I can honestly say it doesn’t feel like that, and it never drags. Pugh is a very readable historian, his work here being com ...more
Brianne Moore
May 18, 2016 Brianne Moore rated it really liked it
An interesting and different view of Britain between the wars that focussed less on politics and strife and more on the lives of ordinary people at all levels of society, how things were changing, and how they were adjusting to the changes. All sorts of fascinating little bits of info, from the most popular candies to the health issues people were obsessed with to the nightclubs favoured by the famous. Well worth a look for anyone interested in social histories.
J.D. Oswald
Jan 21, 2013 J.D. Oswald rated it really liked it
A fascinating account of the period between the two world wars, entertaining, well-written and informative. Divided into themed chapters, it is not a text-book as such but still gives a strong impression of the period.
Hattiedog
Apr 08, 2014 Hattiedog rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read if you would like to know more about this period in history. It covers many areas which you could explore in more depth should you wish to. It took me a while to read this book as I kept dipping into it but it was easy to pick up where I left off.
Kitty
Kitty rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Paul Braddon
Paul Braddon rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Lee Howgate
Lee Howgate rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Gisela
Gisela rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2009
Abbey Wellick
Abbey Wellick rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Lor
Lor rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
CrazyBitch santos
CrazyBitch santos rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2010
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Rebecca Lindley
Rebecca Lindley rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
David Brown
David Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Poppy Wadge
Poppy Wadge rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Daryl
Daryl rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2011
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Paul Doyle
Paul Doyle rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Mr E Dacosta
Mr E Dacosta rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Cheryl Bell
Cheryl Bell rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Eilidh Clark
Eilidh Clark rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2014
Bryoniadioica
Bryoniadioica rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Pugh was Professor of British History at Newcastle University and Research Professor in History at Liverpool John Moores University. He is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, a member of the advisory panel of the BBC History Magazine, and the author of over twelve books on nineteenth- and twentieth-century history.
More about Martin Pugh...