Start by marking “The Royal Mob” as Want to Read:
The Royal Mob

The Royal Mob

The Royal Mob is the story of the four beautiful Princesses of the House of Hesse, granddaughters of Queen Victoria, who come of age during the zenith of European Royalty. Each makes a brilliant marriage that will bring her both happiness and heartbreak. The eldest, Princess Victoria, marries the handsome Prince Louis of Battenberg, the former lover of Lillie Langtry. The ...more
Published July 21st 2008 by America Star Books

Elaine
Nov 05, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
THE ROYAL MOB by Theresa Sherman

Queen Victoria described her numerous relations (children, grandchildren, in laws, etc) as the "Royal Mob" whenever they gathered together. As she and her beloved husband the Prince Consort, Prince Albert had nine children themselves, the nickname "Grandmama to Europe" is not inaccurate .

"The Royal Mob" by Theresa Sherman is a work if fiction, but her historical accuracy is spot on.

The central character in the book is Princess Victoria of Hesse, first daughter of
Gina Basham
Jan 04, 2016 Gina Basham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice read

I enjoyed this after having read an historical account of the last four Empress of Europe. If I had not just finished that I would not have been able to keep track of the characters. I often referred back to the genealogy tables from the previous book. It helps immensely to utilize nicknames. I would recommend. But have a historical genealogy table handy. Gbash
Dr.J.G.
Sep 02, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it

The title refers to what Queen Victoria used to call the collective royals of Europe, usually gathering for the weddings and funerals of royals across Europe, apart from visiting one another across the continent and in British isles for summers and more. She was called Grandmama of Europe, related as she was to almost all of them, in fact by the timeline this book begins, she was in fact grandmother to scores of them across Europe, some in line to thrones and going on to acquire them in due cour
Katie
Feb 21, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
First off, I will start by saying that I've researched the Hesse family - Victoria, Marchioness of Milford Haven, and her siblings and their families - to a huge extent, so I knew the cast of characters very well coming in. That said, I still had a hard time keeping track of all them and can't imagine how anyone possibly could except with a family tree spread out before you.

However, the reason I've researched Victoria, Marchioness of Milford Haven? She's my favorite royal. She was fascinating. G
Kelley
Mar 20, 2016 Kelley rated it really liked it
Theresa Sherman's The Royal Mob is a book with a clever premise but lacks finesse in its delivery. The book is a biography, masquerading as a fictional first person account of Princess Victoria of Hesse, the lesser know older sister of the ill-fated future Tsaritsa Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elizabeth (Ella). The book written in narrative style recounts a huge family whose main business is ruling countries and regions. Sherman does a good job showing the casual side of the complex family relati ...more
Megan
May 16, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It *was* interesting, but at the same time so incredible dull! I've also seen in another review that this book was published without any editing, and it shows. Maybe I'm just a purist, but I found the extra commas, the misspellings, etc... distracting.

(Honestly, is it so hard to look up the spelling of 'brooch' {an ornament fastened to clothing with a hinged pin and catch} as opposed to 'broach' {raise (a sensitive or difficult subject) for discussion}).

T
Helen Azar
Oct 27, 2009 Helen Azar rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Very well researched and well written, the author weaves historical facts into the story with elegant ease, which makes it not only fun to read but also informative. There was even a point when I had to double check to make sure this was really a work of fiction and not a real memoir by Victoria Battenberg. You really get to know her in this one, and realize that she was not just one of the more obscure of Queen Victoria's granddaughters, but an interesting character ...more
Elaine Dowling
This is an interesting book. It has an air of authenticity to it, and yet, it isn't. It purports to be the memoirs of Princess Victoria of Hesse. From that perspective it tells a compelling story about the people -- not the events. This is written as a woman's reflections on herself and her extended family. It made for very interesting reading. I am now quite interested in finding out accurate it really was. It did, however, make me much more familiar with the connections between Queen Victoria' ...more
Elaine Dowling
Dec 29, 2015 Elaine Dowling rated it really liked it
I started this thinking it was a biography and not realizing it was an historical novel. Although it is fairly clumsily written, it is surprisingly good. It manages to convey the very real sense that the subject really was writing and thinking of herself and her family -- her Sister the Empress of Russia, for instance. It manages to make accessible the tangled net of Victoria's grandchildren and how they spread out through Europe while still remaining cousins.
Susan
Jan 11, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book about the lives of Queen Victoria's granddaughters--four Hesse princesses. The author, Theresa Sherman, did an excellent job of telling the story through the eyes and thoughts of Princess Victoria. With Princess "Vicki" as the voice, it transported me to her life as a German princess during WWI and WWII with all the ensuing tragedies that occurred to their families during this time period.
Erin
Aug 14, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok book about royalty.

Ok book about royalty.

This book includes a reference how it was published without editorial review, and unfortunately, you can tell.
Work of fiction but known historical facts, and words not used in that time period are included and don't add up. It's possible that I'm too picky. I did actually enjoy reading this from Victoria's view.
Kimberly
Dec 21, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in European History, this is the book for you. I've always been interested in books on the British Monarchy and this book was great. This was the first book that I've read about Queen Victoria and her relatives, the Royal Mob. I'm hooked!!
Joyce
Oct 04, 2010 Joyce rated it did not like it
looking for escapism....

OK, seriously?? People *liked* this?? Poorly written, repetitive and repetitive. I felt like drinking a shot every time the author wrote about cigarettes, horrible Russian in-laws, or that flippin' pink pearl.
Maxwell Hoffmann
Insider look at history

Fascinating autobiography that includes four sisters, all of whom grew into prominent positions in late 19th & early 20th Century history. Includes childhood of last Tsarina of Russia.
Elizabeth C
Apr 11, 2015 Elizabeth C rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it captivated me from the first page. As a history lover, I was immediately drawn in. What I especially liked was the human, storytelling aspect that fleshed out the bare facts.
emma
Nov 27, 2014 emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It actually made me cry. In a good way. Not at all a tear jerker. Just beautifully done.
Kevin Brady
Jul 04, 2015 Kevin Brady rated it it was amazing
This author knows her stuff!!!!
Cece
Jan 11, 2015 Cece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
Well researched, told from the point of view of the oldest sister Victoria, slightly romanticized, but a good overview of how interwoven The royal families of Europe became. Enjoyable to read.
Jeanne O Fletcher
Dec 30, 2015 Jeanne O Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Gives you a feel for one aspect of the Victorian/Edwardian era. Well done in that I could forget that this is a novel. It truly reads like a memoir. Most enjoyable.
Kelliec
Kelliec rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Joann
Joann rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2017
DONNA BENTLEY
DONNA BENTLEY rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Franz Helmke
Franz Helmke rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Kathleen carmichael
Kathleen carmichael rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2017
Maria P
Maria P rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Robin Wells
Robin Wells rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2017
Joan Fife
Joan Fife rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Lori Stumpf
Lori Stumpf rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2017