Start by marking “The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories

The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Victorians excelled at telling ghost stories. In an age of rapid scientific progress, the idea of a vindictive past able to reach out and violate the present held a special potential for terror. Throughout the nineteenth century, fictional ghost stories developed in parallel with the more general Victorian fascination with death and what lay beyond it. Though they were ...more
Published April 24th 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories

Michael
Review from Badelynge.
Excellent selection of 35 ghost stories from the Victorian age, chronologically compiled here dating from 1852-1908. The stories included have been selected as much for aspects of innovation or for the part they played in influencing stylistic developments within the genre than their actual quality. Though there are some great ghost stories here and barring three or four stories are generally of very good quality.
Along with the stories are a comprehensive list of all ghost
Glenn
Jan 29, 2009 Glenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Victorian literature and ghost stories (duh.).
The reader of this volume of Victorian ghost stories must come equipped with a pre-existing fondness for the form. Any reader with that fondness would do well to obtain the spooky tome. The editors have done a fine job of pulling together some of the many gems of the genre. It has a nice mix of big names and lesser knowns, along with a couple of stories by our old friend “anonymous.” Among the biggies are Mrs Gaskell, Dickens, Henry James, M.R. James, Wilkie Collins, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robe ...more
Anne
Oct 17, 2007 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scary story lovers
This anthology includes a number of spine tinglers from the nineteenth century. I really enjoy it because the stories are long enough to tell you a real story and establish a connection and engagement with the character and setting before introducing the supernatural element. This makes the reader more invested so that the fear exhibited by the characters is shared in a way that is sometimes absent in other collected works of "scary stories".

I also appreciate this work because I love that stori
Catherine Siemann
The Victorians liked to tell ghost stories at Christmastime, so I've been working my way through this collection, half a dozen or more stories at a time, for the last . . . four or five? . . . years. Some of them are more memorable than others, and there's a certain same-ness that my method of reading helped to minimize, but overall, thoroughly enjoyable.

Also delighted, towards the end of the collection, to rediscover "Thurnley Abbey" by Perceval Landon, in which a rationalist Edwardian's respo
Cathy
Apr 18, 2008 Cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who go bump in the dark
Shelves: horror
A very nice compilation of ghost stories, of varying quality. Thurnley Abbey, the Le Fanu entry, and of course the M. R. James are standouts. A couple are set in India, but, disappointingly to me, use perfectly conventional English ghost story subject matter and only use the Indian setting for a little background color -- I guess in its own way, that tells you something about the British in India. Lots of major writers are represented -- Wilkie Collins, Kipling, Conan Doyle -- as well as some ni ...more
Alix Singer
Read for Disc 1312 Freshman year in college. Great for old ghost stories but are not anywhere near what we would consider scary in our modern day culture. Stories are strictly about ghosts and tropes such as being watched or hearing footsteps. Stories are very un-climactic but considered extremely uncanny and horrific for their time period. Definitely a must read if you are interested in scary stories, but be prepared to be more creeped out or confused than scared out of your mind.
Diana
In my opinion, what distinguishes this book from others of the kind is its brilliant introduction to the ghost story as a genre. It provided an answer to many questions I'd had and made the reading of some of the stories even more pleasant.
There is also a good selection of stories and my favourites include J.S. Le Fanu, Elizabeth Gaskell, M.R. James and Wilkie Collins.
Steve
A solid selection of effective ghost stories.
Adam
Like most anthologies this has some really great stories, a lot of rather average stories and one or two really awful stories. Most of the stories were interesting but could have been either longer or shorter to improve them. One thing that got annoying was that every other story would be told by a narrator who says they don't believe in ghosts but here is a story that is REALLY real. It seems no one was actually allowed to believe in ghost stories in Victorian times but they sure as heck liked ...more
Rachel Hawes
Ghost stories were ludicrously popular during the Victorian period -- a time of huge transition, an age shaped more than any other by change, mostly industrial, but with the final consequences of these changes remaining unclear. With this shadow of change falling across life in general culminating, no doubt, in anxiety, the ghost story not only gave the Victorian reader an outlet for this anxiety but the ghosts themselves anchored a stable past in an unstable present.

Having said all this I was q
Jennie
As with any anthology, some stories in this book are impressive, while others are underwhelming, and some are both. Unfortunately, many anthologies, particularly those featuring ghost stories, are probably best appreciated when you read each story in its entirety all at once, and you spread the stories out, reading only a couple each week. My life doesn't allow me to do this right now, at least not during the school year, so everything started to blur together and much of the tension-building wa ...more
Courtney
I had to read this as part of the assigned reading for a literature class. Personally, I'm not keen on reading anthologies as I don't like paying full-book prices when it's likely I'll only enjoy a quarter of it, but the syllabus spoke, and for the sake of my GPA, I obeyed.

Being that it's billed as "Victorian" ghost stories, I expected things to be rather fussy, a la Wilkins. To my surprise, many of the stories were downright scary. Modern readers may tend to associate ghost stories with things
Sreemoyee Acharya
I love stories about the paranormal. Also I'm fascinated by Victorian era literature--the manors, countrysides, Downton Abbey like plots. So this book mixed the two passions and was an excellent read for a Friday evening, post work. Yes I am quite weird.
Micha
Wonderfully creepy collection with a wide variety of the more high quality Victorian ghost stories. Particularly enjoyed "At Chrighton Abbey" by Mary Elizabeth Braddon and "An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street" by J.S. Le Fanu. It's a really good book for its representation of many female authors.
Adela
Jan 22, 2011 Adela rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy dull ghost stories.
I agree completely with Adam's review. I think if they took out the really good stories and the above average stories, and put them into one slim volume, the reader would be much more satisfied. There were several stories that were really creepy, and a few that weren't especially spooky but were still enjoyable.
Kirsten
Very good stuff. Nothing here that really chilled me to the bone in a "think about it late at night and get nervous" kind of way, but a good bunch of stories that also give some insight into the fears and concerns of Victorian society.
Emma
Oct 27, 2010 Emma marked it as did-not-finish
I love love love all things Victorian, except repression and lack of self-expression of course, but after finishing the first story in this collection i remembered i'm a scaredy-cat and hate hate hate ghost stories.
Julie
Can't say that every story was totally engrossing and awesome, but I suppose that's the nature of a short story collection. However, it was totally bitchin'... if you like the Victorian era and/or ghost stories.
Morag Gray
This is a good collection of Victorian ghost stories, some creepier than others. A number of well-known writers are included, and some lesser lights. The stories are arranged in chronological order.
Taz
Classic, chilling, and a must have collection for those who enjoy a good scare. One of the stories, "The Story of Clifford House" has to be the scariest ghost story I've read to date.
Kim Dallmeier
This is a very mixed bag of nuts: some very imaginative and creepy, while others are just predictable and lame. I don't really recommend this anthology. :(
Lisa A.
Good scary ghost stories to get you through the night. They can be a little long winded at times but overall pretty good.
Scott
A dry collection of short stories. Most of them are hit or miss. I was unimpressed.
Nan Silvernail
A lovely collection of ghost stories. Light the lanterns, curl up with the cat and enjoy.
bluetyson
Victorian Ghost Stories: An Oxford Anthology by Michael Cox (1991)
Iain Houten
a few stories a week in reading short narratives module
Leona Heraty
Wonderful, spooky Victorian ghost stories! :-)
Sarah Jordan
Sarah Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories
  • Ghost Stories
  • Late Victorian Gothic Tales
  • Gothic Tales
  • The Power of Darkness: Tales of Terror (Mystery & Supernatural)
  • The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton
  • Ghost and Horror Stories
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood
  • Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales
Michael Andrew Cox was an English biographer, novelist and musician.
He also held the position of Senior Commissioning Editor of reference books for Oxford University Press.
More about Michael Cox...
The Meaning of Night The Glass of Time (The Meaning of Night, #2) The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous) Elvis And His Pelvis (Dead Famous)