Start by marking “Foxfire” as Want to Read:
Foxfire

Foxfire

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Golden girl: that was Amanda. Born into luxury, she was pampered, adored, spoiled, and very beautiful. She could have had any man she wanted. Millionaire Tom Merrill had been in love with her for years. But she chose Dart, tall, handsome, mining engineer. He was half-Indian, proud, and very poor.

Amanda had no idea what to expect as Dart's wife, an eastern stranger in the
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published June 12th 1979 by Fawcett (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire

Young's Love by T.L. ClarkJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
Books With Happy Endings
12th out of 39 books — 21 voters
Magic America by C.E. MedfordGarden Spells by Sarah Addison AllenIf You Could See Me Now by Cecelia AhernThe Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison AllenThe River King by Alice Hoffman
Modern Urban Magical Realism
11th out of 16 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
Ok, the ending was just a titch facile - but when you think about what all these kids have gone through, trying to combat the Depression, and racism, and their own vulnerabilities, well, you just gotta be glad they got their (kinda-sorta) HEA. After all, they've still a lot of work ahead, too. Such rich characters - not always easy to like, but always drawn with humanity & complexity. And the amazing thing is that much of it is *not* dated. My sister-in-law lives in the outback between Payso ...more
Maura
Another favorite that I re-read every so often. A good story about two people learning to live together despite very different backgrounds. He is so true to his ideals that he cannot bend; she is so flexible that she seems to lose her own sense of self. This was made into a really crappy B movie in the 50's or 60's that didn't seems to have any relation to the book other than the title and it was set in a western mining town.
Carol Storm
Absolutely vile.

The heroine is an insufferably spoiled racist snob, and the hero is a "savage" half-Apache (modernized with a college education) whom she "tames" through an endless marriage filled with teasing sex, manipulation, and financial scheming.

But when I describe it like this, I make it sound much sexier than it really is.

Because the whole book is deadly dull.

Except when it's really, really offensive.
Misfit
Foxfire is set in early 1930s depression era as slightly spoiled Amanda Lawrence meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Despite Dart's poor prospects as a mining engineer, sparks fly and they are married and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Arizona. Unused to the rougher aspects of life, Amanda has a difficult time settling in to her new life as well as mixing in with the mining community peopled with unusua ...more
Deb
Early 1930's depression era when Amanda meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Amanda has had a lovely, somewhat spoiled life, and Dart is well-educated, professor father, American Apache mother. He loves the southwest and the poor mining life. Two lives that don't match, but they fall in love on a ship returning from Europe (he on business, she on a 'tour') They marry and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Ar ...more
Julia
Amanda and Dart are newlyweds in Lodestone, a tiny, struggling Arizona town, during The Great Depression. The life of a miner's wife is not quite what Amanda, who grew up in New York Society, was expecting, although she's determined to make the best of it. Struggling to make ends meet, Amanda's interest is piqued by a legend of hidden gold in the desert. Dart is initially dismissive of the story, but as both his and Amanda's pasts conspire against them and threaten their futures, he too ultimate ...more
Labmom
I can't give no stars or one star to Anya Seton, she's one of my favorite authors (I named my daughter Anya) and she wrote my all-time favorite book (Green Darkness) but this wasn't good. It didn't completely suck, but it wasn't even close to her other 9 books, most of which are excellent. I guess every consistently good writer has one bad book, or one that's not as good as the others. Even Shakespeare wrote a few stupid plays (Pericles, The Merry Wives of Windsor). Toni Morrison, even, had a cr ...more
Carolyn
Loved it first time when I read it as a teenager and enjoyed it very much a second time. A classic story
Kate (Trojanhorse)
Another well written book by Anya Seton. Enjoyable but a bit backwards, starts off with the couple's wedding and then they spend the book "finding their relationship".
Susan
This book was ok but a bit of a dissapointment. I did mnot like any of the characters, especially Amanda. DArt was proabaly the best but too good a person. I hated Dr. Hugh and wondered why Amanda liked him so much. As for As for Amanda's obsession to hunt for the gold it made no sense to me. And when they went and looked for it the book got crazy. Wow and this solved all their problems, even though there was no fortune to be found. I'' have to try her other books as reeaders say they are better ...more
☆ Ruth ☆
This is not my favourite Anya Seton book - mining is not a particularly interesting subject for me, so reading this novel was always going to have a possible boredom factor. However she is talented writer and her characters are well-drawn and believable (within the framework of the story). There is a tendency to melodrama in some of the descriptive passages, but not enough to be off-putting. I enjoyed the book overall, particularly the second half, and have allocated a 3-star rating.
Aaron Hrenko
Even though "Foxfire" was written in the late forties/early fifties, it's still written really conversationally compared to other works from this time. Almost everything about this book is totally cliche, but it's so cliche that it's not off-putting. I guess this makes it feel like you know the characters well? Anyway, it's a crossover of romance and adventure in a historical fiction setting. If you like any of those genres, you might like it.
Meredith
I finished this book two days ago and I am still on the fence about it. I loved the characters and the settings,(Seton always knows how to develop a great character!) The first of the book instantly hooked me, but I felt like the middle of the book was long and slow while the end was quick and abrupt and everything ended a bit too tidy. But all in all I love Anya Seton, and I think the book was a very enjoyable read.
Sonja
It was in one of those big, hardback books of three novels together all by Anya Seton so I wanted to read it to be able to pass the book on. About page 50 or so the book gets quite suspenseful: the characters get really interesting as well as the setting in a small mining town. It ended up being my favorite of the three Anya Seton books bound together.
Emma
really enjoyed this story of two very different people and how despite their very different principles one exploration for a common goal brought them together. With a character highlighting a lust for gold I thought it was clever how against him Amanda and Dart's search was for more than just gold. Really good story and would recommend.
Jasmine
We'll see how it is!! It's been on my shelf for so long I have to read it!

Okay so I had to stop!!! I did not like it at all! Too much mining detail for me, that I could not even get through it. I have read other Seton books and loved them, but NOT this one! Sorry!!! I gave it a chance, made it to page 80!
Hypatia
Overall, this was an enjoyable read. However, I'm not sure I really liked the ending. It felt a little as though the author had decided the book was long enough, and so everything wrapped up fairly suddenly. Also, I'm not sure how believable the ending really is. Still, a fun read.
Maudie
At this point in the read, not my favorite Anya Seton...

However, I feel she brought the story home in closing and the characters will linger in my mind...it's just that I didn't like them all that much...and reading the first half of 'Foxfire' is akin to pouring winter molasses...
Ruth
Anya Seton, one of my favorite authors ... I've re-read this book several time, about a very spoiled, rich young lady that choose to live in a gold mining camp, without any conveniences and how she copes.
Aimee
My least favorite Anya Seton novel. It's been a while since I've read it so I need to reread but I didn't enjoy this book, and I have enjoyed all the other books I've read by her.
SuzanneG
Summer always calls for a new Anya Seton novel!!! So far this is my least favorite Anya Seton novel....but it was good nonetheless....just not GREAT like her other novels.
Heather
My second Anya Seton book. I enjoyed Dragonwyck so much, I thought I'd try another. This book is VERY different from Dragonwyck, but I really liked it nonetheless.
Squeaky
Only book of Anya Seton's that I did not like. Just not like her typical novels. Katherine, Green Darkness, Winthrop Woman, excellent, this one .. meh
Kate Millin
A love story set in 1930’s America and the hardships of living in a mining town that looks at the ways people interact. Excellent
Anais
An interesting look at a romance written in the 1950s about the 1930s...not nearly as prudish as you would imagine
Heather
I liked this one, though not one she is well know for writing
Mar 20, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Annie
This was fantastic. Really great characters.
Kelsey
Not worth it.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Darkness & the Dawn
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Chevalier (The Morland Dynasty, #7)
  • Nethergate
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • The Sugar Pavilion
  • Calico Palace
  • The Mallen Girl
  • A Catch of Consequence
  • Diana
  • The Rich Are Different
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton.
More about Anya Seton...