Start by marking “The Child Goddess” as Want to Read:
The Child Goddess

The Child Goddess

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Louise Marley weaves a compelling story of a woman whose faith may be the only thing that can save a girl from certain doom.
Published May 31st 2005 by Ace (first published May 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Child Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Child Goddess

John
Sep 07, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was predisposed to hate this book. Both the title and the cover screamed "Preachy New Age." I'm so glad I'm in a reading group, and we chose it, for this is one great read.
The story and characters are much better than the background. This is science fiction without the science. The most important hydrogen refueling planet is an earth type water world, with active volcanoes and no moon. Why extracting hydrogen from water is cheaper than skimming gas giants is never explained, or how a moonless
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 Jeannen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Picked this up on a whim at Fred Meyer. It is by Louise Marley, whose work I’ve read before: "The Terrorists of Irustan" is the one I remember best. I remember really liking The Terrorist of Irustan, but feeling so disheartened by the end that I haven’t been able to bring myself to re-read it. The Child Goddess is set in the same timeframe as that one, and I was so engaged with it that I stayed up really late on Monday night reading it, then stayed up really late on Tuesday night re-reading it. ...more
Liz
Feb 20, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I have always loved Louise Marley's books from the first book I'd read of hers The Terrorists of Irustan, and this book is no different. Marley weaves her characters into her stories. She blends plot, emotion, texture, sound, and culture expertly leaving you wanting to read more about the world that she creates.

That being said, I was frustrated with this book with how she treated the mystery of Oa - I felt that she took too long to unfold the mystery. I won't say much more because I don't want t
Kerith
Aug 07, 2010 Kerith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Isabel Burke, a priest in the Order of Mary Magdalene and also an anthropologist, travels to a distant planet where a group of "old children" were discovered: children who haven't aged in over a 100 years. A corporate entity is on the planet to build a power station and of course there is some speculation on how these children's immortality might be exploited, but the tale is far more complicated than that. Author Louise Marley weaves science fiction, faith and the crises thereof, misplaced love ...more
Sylvia Sybil
Jul 25, 2010 Sylvia Sybil rated it it was amazing
I was so caught up in the story I hardly noticed the time passing, and read the entire book in one sitting. I especially loved Oa's point of view, how alien everything seemed to her, and how naturally the author managed to conceal an important secret and then reveal it bit by bit. I also loved the interplay of faith and science here, seen in the two main characters of Isabel and Oa. Isabel is a priest in a time when technology is crowding out faith. And Oa baffles everyone around her by giving r ...more
Miss Ginny Tea
Sep 15, 2007 Miss Ginny Tea rated it really liked it
I really liked this. The story is complex and develops nicely; instead of large exposition dumps, bits of information are doled out bit by bit, drawing the reader in through curiosity. The characters are complex, with their own desires and darknesses and traumas, but a desire to do right. Even the antagonists get some development and depth, even if one of them turns out unrepentant, it's okay because it's done well.
Danyel
Jan 01, 2013 Danyel rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This book was a seamless blending of science fiction, speculative fiction, drama and religious themes. It was an easy and enjoyable read. It tells the tale of Oa, a child living on a distant earth colony, who has not aged in more than 100 years. Through her quest to become a person, the author is able to explore themes of belonging, religious beliefs, societal stigma and the endurance of the human spirit.
Holly
Mar 16, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
Just happily finished reading this little gem. Marley penned a sweet sci-fi adventure interwoven with all kinds of goodies: a lost African space colony, Catholicism (Mary Magdalen as a disciple!), unrequited love, sacrifice, and the Fountain of Youth. Oh, and speaking of the main character arc, fall in love with "Oa" -- the girl living with eternal hope that one day she will become a person.
Heidi
Jul 24, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff
Touching, emotional, complicated characters, motivations, and a deceptively simple plot. I thought the back of the book gave a bit too much away. I also felt like while many of Louise Marley's books make me cry this was the least necessary tears. On the border of being a tear-jerker for the fun of it.
Harvest McCampbell
May 26, 2016 Harvest McCampbell rated it really liked it
" . . . pain was often disproportionate to the gravity of the injury."

~~~

This compelling story is not just about pain, but about transformation, redemption, connection, and the many processes of becoming fully human . . . .

Marley is a superb story teller, her writing takes your around corners you didn't even know were there and gives you a glimpse back at our universe from a new perspective.

However, I had to ignore the book's lack of good logical medical editing. The fallacies in her medical thi
Lenora Good
Aug 22, 2015 Lenora Good rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read fantasy for escape, and once again, Ms. Marley has given me a great escape. I enjoyed reading about the Magdalenes, and like another reviewer, wondered why they clung to the celibacy idea; however, if they were trying to be accepted, it's understandable. It was hard enough just getting female priests accepted. One step at a time.

The protagonist is Mother Isabel Burke, a priest with faults. Serious faults with which she must cope. She is, alas, very, very human. And that humanness comes ou
Lois Clark-Johnston
Jun 09, 2009 Lois Clark-Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed this novel. It has been sitting on my to-read shelf for awhile but once I started it I found myself unable to put it down and I read it in a day.
It was interesting and I enjoyed it.
Lettie Prell
Dec 25, 2008 Lettie Prell rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Take a great other-world setting. Add one strong woman and an unusual girl-child. Full of character, emotion, and politics -- and a satisfying climax complete with surprise.
Deanna
Oct 08, 2009 Deanna rated it really liked it
this is not a book that will change your life but it was a good quick read. I couldn't put it down and read it in a day.
Jacob
Jun 04, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
Shelves: science_fiction
A story about a woman protecting and advocating for a human child from a lost colony on an alien planet. There is some interesting alien biology and foreign culture, some politics and fighting against big greedy business, and a lot of personal relationships. The main character is a strong female but not the uber-competent infallible type, which is refreshing. This book references The Terrorists of Irustan and shares a prominent character with that book, so I was glad I read that first. However, ...more
Kit
Mar 20, 2007 Kit rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women who like Science fiction with women as main characters.
The Child Goddess is what I consider to be futuristic Science Fiction. Isabelle, a Magdalene priest, is called to be the guardian of Oa, a child brought to Earth from a distant planet. Oa's home planet is small, with hardly any landmass, and the inhabitants, who live primitively, are thought to be the descendants of group of people who’d been lost after leaving earth 300 years before.
There is conflict because a large corporation wants to take hydrogen fuel form Oa’s planet.
Oa’s life on her hom
Phil
Oct 02, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
Heather Dyer
Oct 25, 2015 Heather Dyer rated it it was amazing
I love science fiction, and Louise Marley’s novel The Child Goddess is the first book of hers that I have read. It goes beyond a futuristic first contact story, it’s a compelling sci-fi read that weaves themes of different views of spirituality and questions of medical ethics throughout world-wide and personal dilemmas. The story flows well throughout different settings and different point of view characters. It’s a delightful read even for those who might not generally read science fiction.

The
Nomi
Jul 23, 2011 Nomi rated it it was ok
This was written in exactly the sort of "touchy-feely/hippity-dippity/medicine-woman" voice that I expected from the cover and the bookjacket blurb references to a nun and a child. I think I picked it up to prove myself wrong about "pre-judging"... Too bad I wasn't wrong and the most generous thing I can say is: The underlying mystery is not, ultimately, *that* interesting and the characters are all sort of... Meh... Then again, in it's good moments it's trying to tell an original story or sugge ...more
Ketan Shah
Jun 07, 2013 Ketan Shah rated it really liked it
Well written SF novel which dips into religion,anthropology and sociology.If you enjoyed this you might enjoy other works of SF that deal with faith,such as The Sparrowand Hyperion
Terry
Mar 04, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
This isn't a book I would I picked up on my own. I'm pretty picky about science fiction. The story pulled me in eventually. Interesting themes of what makes someone human, and if you could avoid aging and live forever, would you want to?
Dena Grover
Aug 21, 2009 Dena Grover rated it liked it
interesting pov women role in sci fi, religion, belief, similar to Octavia Butler in themes girl is found on a remote world she is over 100 years old and science is interested in her as pharmaceutical research
jess
Oct 10, 2008 jess rated it liked it
Well, it was better than the last Marley novel I read - The Glass Harmonica. It was sweet, and the sci fi aspects were interesting, but the ending sorta flopped together.
Marion Hill
Dec 11, 2012 Marion Hill rated it really liked it
Here's my review of The Child Goddess:

Melliott
Mar 16, 2013 Melliott rated it really liked it
Kelly
Oct 18, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
I really loved this book!
Denise Crain
Denise Crain rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Jen Stutesman
Jen Stutesman is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jennifer Brewer
Jennifer Brewer rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • White Devils
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • The Companions
  • Jupiter Project
  • Nekropolis
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
  • The Alien Debt
  • Drifter's War (Drifter, #3)
  • Sagramanda
  • Brother to Dragons
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Looking for the Mahdi
  • Cataract (Cat Scratch, #2)
  • Greenhouse Summer
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • And All the Stars a Stage
  • Agent of the Terran Empire (Flandry, #3)
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...