My Very First Book Of Shapes

My Very First Book Of Shapes (My Very First Book)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A split-page wordless board book teaching children the simple concept of shapes through Eric Carle's inimitable collage illustrations. Readers need to line up the shape in the top section of the book with the same shaped image in the bottom section.
Hardcover
Published October 7th 2005 by Puffin Books (first published May 28th 1985)

Jazmine Shoup
My Very First Book of Shapes by Eric Carle is a wonderful children's picture concept book. The book offers great illustrations to go along with the corresponding shapes that are being taught. I think that the effectiveness of the illustrations is what offers the young readers a great understanding of the concept that is being taught, shapes. I think that the book would be a great book to use with kindergaten students to help them learn their shapes. As a teacher, I would incorporate the book int...more
Kellee
The one I have is bilingual.
Will be great fun when Trent's older. A wonderful way to learn shapes.
Cheyenne
There were lots of different shapes that I would not have thought about.
Cori Brown
Such a classic book! Great book to give to toddlers to first teach them about shapes. I colors/shapes are fun for children.
Colin
Asho
This is another one of those books that's really more of a game than a book. You flip the split pages to match the objects to their shapes. The version that I have is bilingual, in both Spanish and English, which is a plus. So far my little guy is too young to understand how this book works, but he enjoyed flipping through it today and I think it will be a nice distraction for stroller or car rides.
Milo P.
This was a gift from Aunt Britt. I sit with Papa and we like to talk about all the pictures. This is one of the books that I like to read with Papa, but I don't really seek it out on my own. I do like to see the moon and pretend to eat the watermelon.
Stephanie
This book gives the names of shapes in both English and Spanish at the top of the book. The bottom shows pictures of objects with all of the shapes. I do not like that the book does not say what the objects are in English or Spanish.
Heather
We made this book into a game. Showed them a shape and they looked for the match. Not a book necessarily but the kids loved it.

Second night my daughter asked for the 'snake book'. She loves this one (aged 3).
Cali Santos
It amazes me how my almost 3 y/o daughter can match the shapes and pictures only on the first try and enjoys flipping through the pages. My younger son loves pointing at the moon! Thanks Eric Carle!
Anaeka
Aug 29, 2011 Anaeka rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Inf-3
Bought at 14 months. She occasionally flips through it or asks for a read aloud but now at 16 months it seems like she is able to match just a few shapes to the word when said.
Inspired Kathy
This is a great book for teaching shapes. The board book is cut in half. On the top are black shapes and you match them with a colorful picture on the bottom half.
Shelley
At this point this book is more of a toy. It is small and easy to open. Amir likes to turn the pages, which is an important skill to learn.
Sharon
A Christmas gift from Abuela. Tommy loves these books, but Mom and Dad finf the flip-page structure overly time-consuming.
Tommy
A Christmas gift from Abuela. Tommy loves these books, but Mom and Dad find the flip-page structure overly time-consuming.
Danny
Lucy
Toddlers, Pre-K, letter knowledge, print motivation, shapes.
Cathy
Oct 31, 2007 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children and children-at-heart
AH!! Eric Carle!
Jaycee
Jaycee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Potty
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Color Zoo
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • My Big Animal Book
  • The Greedy Python
  • Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe