Start by marking “Was mache ich hier” as Want to Read:
Was mache ich hier

Bruce Chatwin

Was mache ich hier

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,132 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This title has been removed from sale by Penguin Group, USA.
Published October 1st 1993 by Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Was mache ich hier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Was mache ich hier

Yazmina-Michele de Gaye
i have always liked Bruce Chatwin, there is a particular hard cover coffee table style book of his photographs, which appeals to me as i too am an avid traveller and photographer. However i had intended to make a note of all the famous names mentioned in this series of wonderful adventures, name-dropping par excellence! The other point is that i feel rather chuffed by the fact that i knew all those so-called celebs he mentioned...not personally of course, but in reference to each, i didn't feel ...more
James
The author of one of my favorite short novels, Bruce Chatwin here demonstrates his story-telling ability amidst the realities of travel and the vast world of his extended friendships and acquaintances. As an example the following is from “Mrs. Mandelstam,” Chatwin’s account of his visit with the widow of the Russian poet, Osip Mandelstam, collected in What Am I Doing Here?, the last book he published before he died:
"White metal fastenings glittered among the brown stumps of her teeth. A cigaret
Madhuri
A splendid collection of stories/essays/thoughts, collected over years of extensive travel that Chatwin has done. In this small book, there are so many different people to meet, so many different cultures to get a whiff of, and so many circumstances to puzzle over. Chatwin is caught in the middle of coup in an African nation, haunted by Yetis in high Himalyan peaks, and has a love-hate relationship with Indira Gandhi during her campaign to return to power after the emergency. And all of it is ne ...more
Off The Shelf
Meg Miller reviewed What Am I Doing Here? on OfftheShelf.com.

Quite Possibly the Best Travel Writing You’ve Never Heard Of by Meg Miller

You know that awkward moment when you’re at dinner with Diana Vreeland and she mistakes a word you say for its other meaning, resulting in a charming little misunderstanding? No? It must just be Bruce Chatwin, then, who recounts the details in one of my favorite short, short stories of all time, “At Dinner with Diana Vreeland.” Here’s the entire thing:

Her glass
Jeffrey Lamoureux
Chatwin is impossibly cultured, and it shows. His writing is fantastic and the encounters he describes always entertaining and informative. This is hardly an autobiography in any formal sense; one comes away with little detail of his life, and far too little of his thoughts. I almost wish that he would have elaborated more: on himself, his attitudes, opinions, and world views. Occasionally it's hard to be taken in by his more historical essays, which is why I don't give this book a higher rating ...more
ashok
Typically entertaining pseudo-fiction collection of travelogues, anecdotes and fables.
The highlight has to be the chapter about Indira Gandhi's post-emergency comeback election campaign. While some of it may be cute invention - the despotic nature of Indira Gandhi in many amusing para-phrases.
Avik
An un-remarkable book from a gifted wordsmith. I am quite a fan of Chatwin's brand of travel writing and admire his skills at observing culture and human character, and would prefer to read him any day as compared to, say, Theroux or Thubron or Bryson, but this book is not my cup of tea. First of all, there is a painful lack of coherence - Chatwin hops, skips and jumps from one theme to another in an utterly haphazard fashion and often the reader is left wondering what this guy is up to?! While, ...more
Linda
The chapter on Werner Herzog directing his film "Cobra Verde", based on Chatwin's "The Viceroy of Ouidah", in Ghana is so amazing and funny that it cured my cold.
Having read "the Viceroy" I then had to watch "Cobra Verde". Of those three works, I'd say Chatwin's sketch on Herzog is the best.
Amerynth
I really enjoy Bruce Chatwin's writing style (though was a bit taken aback when I read his assessment that he writes like Hemingway or D.H. Lawrence....) so "What am I doing here?" has that going for it, at least.

The book really pales in comparison to Chatwin's others, however. It's filled with vignettes and a few short stories about people that Chatwin has met, traveled with (or liked to imagine he knew.) Some were really fascinating... others were really tedious.

I'd really only recommend this
Frank
This collection, like most, ebbed and flowed for me, but overall, worth my time and the 86 cents I forked over for it.

The best piece by far was about Werner Herzog and his crazy friend (Kininski?) making a movie in Africa. Kininski at one point was encouraging the women extras to riot, which they took up with alarming zeal.

The China stuff was good too.

He had a motif examing "nomadism" and the benefits of just walking, which I, in particular, nodded my head along with.

da-wildchildz
It has been a while since I read any Chatwin, so I decided it was about time I read some more. What Am I Doing Here? is a collection of stories, travelogues, thoughts and essays, which meant I never quite knew what I was getting, when I began another chapter. The chapters were short, which is perfect, when dipping in and out on a commute. Each snapshot was told in Chatwin’s typically amusing, informative and quirky style, which made it a fun and enjoyable read.
Hank Stuever
Vivid memories of reading this by campfire-light on a solo road trip up the California coast in September 1990. I had graduated from college. I had finished a reporting internship at the LA Times. I was free, in a sense, and didn't know what was next. ("What Am I Doing Here," indeed.) The whole world seemed possible and ahead. My copy of the book still smells vaguely of smoke. There really wasn't anyone quite like Chatwin, before or since.
Maggie
I really liked this book. Ironically I don't read too many travel books because I don't really find other people's adventures that fascinating unless they're actual guidebooks. I liked Bruce Chatwin's writing style and I thought I could relate to a lot of what his mind was going through when he traveled, although I haven't done nearly as many crazy things as him. Everyone should have a memoire, there's a market for anything these days.
L.J.
Jan 14, 2008 L.J. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travel essay
Shelves: take-or-leave
Not my favorite Chatwin book and hard to give a truly fair review as many years have passed but finishing this one left me flat and as I had read almost all his books I didn't seem to want to complete my Chatwin literary journey. Collection of stories and only a handful were interesting, not on the level of Songlines or In Patagonia but completely different as a collection book as well. Someone else may find it better than myself.
Joseph Mckenna
Does anyone do a better job creating vivid imagery with such sparse prose? Chatwin remains one of the most talented and varied authors of his generation. This wide ranging travelogue of his meanderings across the globe gives the reader glimpses of sailors from Patagonia, wolf boys in India, an eyewitness account of a west African revolution, yetis, and so much more. A great read for any fan of Chatwin.
Jean
Collection of essays/vignettes/true stories from a prolific traveler and elegant writer. You wonder how this author, who died at 49, managed to get to so many places, many of which either required special access and/or were places most sensible people wouldn’t want to be, while writing so well. A bunch of clear snapshots that don’t try to hard to edify. Good book to take on vacation.
Liana
This was supposed to be an autobiography focused on the author's travels. Instead, it was a combination history book, biographies about other people, with a couple of his own stories thrown in. Most of the chapters in the book have nothing to the with the author at all. There were the rare few stories that were actually worth reading and the only reason that I finished the book.
Kaarin
this man knows travel.

"The art of journeying contributes towards a sense of physical and mental well-being, while the monotony of prolonged settlement or regular work weaves patterns in the brain that engender fatigue and a sense of personal inadequacy. Much of what ethologists have designated "aggression" is simply an angered response to the frustrations of confinement."
Marc
Verzameling stukjes, recensies, cursiefjes en meer gedegen werkstukken, uitgegeven na de dood van Chatwin. Bijna allemaal al eerder verschenen.
Uiteenlopende onderwerpen, maar opvallend erudiete diversiteit. Sommige stukjes vallen tegen, andere zijn bijzonder inspirerend. De chronologische orde is niet gerespecteerd, wat aanzet tot aanlokkelijk biografisch puzzelwerk.
Mariano Pallottini
The thesis in this book it is a bit forced but still something in the reader is pushing to believe: the evil in the world is the sedentary life. The human been naturally reveals a spiritualistic approach to the life and a better connection with the beauty of the nature as soon as start a nomad life. It is a child dream? But we love Bruce Chatwin even for this.
Oceana2602
This was the book that made me fall in love with Chatwin, and, at least for the first time consciously, fall in love with short-stories and essays. It's also the genre that Chatwin was, in my opion, best at - the short, precise look at things or the small thought spun into a whole tale - these stories are brilliant (and I need to reread this).
Jan-Maat
From memory, and it was a long time ago that I read this, it is a very mixed bag with no central theme. There are some travel/journalism pieces but also an essay on Ernst Juenger's diaries. That alone is the only piece that really sticks in my memory, reading that led me on to read "On Marble Cliffs".
Josie Shagwert
Bruce Chatwin is a fascinating person and his life was truly interesting - that is what comes through in these essays. Reading this book when I was in my late teens/early twenties opened my eyes to a whole world of thinking... and more than ten years later I still think of some of the stories!
Catrien Deys
Because I thought I liked everything written by Bruce C. I started this, but had a tough time, because encounters with people that I didn't know were not coming to life for me. Maybe I'm getting old.I still love his style though.
Nicole
This was an excellent traveloque book, full of insights, tales, adventures and memories. All the more poignant since the author passed away not too long after its publication, a tragedy as he probably had many more novels left to pen.
Mickey
Referenced by the Italian film of same name. A collection of essays about traveling, social issues, and the interesting people you meet when you're a journalist traveling around the world. (Sociology; 300 pages)
Carolyn
Jan 22, 2009 Carolyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines (about aborigine Australia) and In Patagonia - so I thought I would read this book of short stories about his trips to far off places - so far I like it.
Anh-Tuan
This is a great collection of stories about Chatwin getting himself into awkward situations, sometimes in areas of serious political and social unrest, along with the characters he finds there.
Amy
What a book. What a writer. Such an eye for detail, such a brilliant man but he's not in your face about it, except when he can perfectly date an ancient artifact from Iran. Amazing journalist.
Hannahdeboer
This is an incredible mixture of stories from all over the world, from wolf children in India to couture in Paris, every story is invigorating to all the senses.
  • Into the Heart of Borneo
  • A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • Between the Woods and the Water
  • The Ends of the Earth: A Journey to the Frontiers of Anarchy
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • When the Going Was Good
  • Travels with Herodotus
  • Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
  • Wild: An Elemental Journey
  • Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars
  • The Way of the World
  • The Old Patagonian Express: By Train Through the Americas
  • The Lost Heart of Asia
Charles Bruce Chatwin was an English novelist and travel writer. He won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his novel On the Black Hill (1982). In 1972, Chatwin interviewed the 93-year-old architect and designer Eileen Gray in her Paris salon, where he noticed a map of the area of South America called Patagonia, which she had painted. "I've always wanted to go there," Bruce told her. "So have ...more
More about Bruce Chatwin...
In Patagonia The Songlines On The Black Hill Utz The Viceroy of Ouidah (Vintage Classics)

“Walking is a virtue, tourism is a deadly sin.” 22 likes
“Man's real home is not a house, but the Road, and that life itself is a journey to be walked on foot.” 12 likes