Start by marking “Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn” as Want to Read:
Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn

Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
What makes you sneeze when you're in a dusty room? Or shiver when you get out of the bathtub? Or yawn when you're tired? Melvin Berger and Paul Meisel reveal the mysteries behind the reflexes that happen in our bodies in this humorously illustrated introduction to our nervous system. Includes experiments to try on family and friends in the "Find Out More" pages!
Published January 1st 2000 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn

Hoang Shin
This is a great book to satisfy the kid (or adult!) that's curious about everything. The book has great illustrations and diagrams that explain why your body acts the way that it does. I found the book very interesting and learned a lot myself.
I would definitely use this book to teach about the science of the human body as well as health. Students can also use this book to learn new vocabulary related to human anatomy.
Gen
Dec 07, 2012 Gen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During middle childhood, children are full of curiosity, are willing to learn, and ask tons and tons of questions. Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn is a great book that answers life's most asked questions relating to reflexes the human body makes. When I was little, I've always wondered why I hiccuped, sneezed, and farted. This book will uncover the mystery behind sneezing, shivering, hiccuping, and yawning.The text is easy to read, and easy to understand. It offers very basic explanatio ...more
Charlie
You get an answer to the title but the book also kind of runs away from the title. HERE IS WHAT I MEAN: Let's look at the title, "Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, and Yawn." You see that? Now when we read we find the answer to the question but as we read on they talk about you kicking your leg at the doctor when they tap your knee. Well, its correct BUT... shouldn't it mention that somewhere in the title? EXAMPLE: "Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, Yawn, and React to Certain Things." THIS IS THE ONE I ...more
Elanor
All by herself!
Brittany N
Apr 15, 2012 Brittany N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-body
This book is great for a lesson on the human body. It discusses sneezing, shivering, hiccuping, and yawning. As a child, I always wondered why my body did these things so I think it's important to let children know.
Jessica
May 20, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
If you can't always answer the barrage of "why" questions from your child, this is a good book to read together to get some of the answers.
Rachel
Explains to students why we do certain things such as sneeze, hiccup, shiver, and yawn. Explains it in simple terms
Corinne
Apr 13, 2013 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think they did a good job making you understanding reflexes. Target audience young elementary.
Annette
Aug 20, 2010 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really educational i can tell you that

!!!
Jenna
Nov 18, 2008 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
April
April added it
Aug 19, 2016
Hope Gunther
Hope Gunther rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 15, 2016
Pui Yien
Pui Yien rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 24, 2016
BGCedillo
BGCedillo rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 20, 2016
Hollie Cane
Hollie Cane marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • What Makes a Magnet?
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Dem Bones
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • About Birds: A Guide for Children
  • From Seed to Plant
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars