Start by marking “The Relativity Of Wrong” as Want to Read:
The Relativity Of Wrong

The Relativity Of Wrong

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Sparkling with charm and the legendary Asimov wit, this remarkable collection of 17 essays delivers a delightful potpourri of chemical conundrums, galactic puzzles, and awesome astronomical anomalies. "(Asimov is) as formidable and readable as ever".--Kirkus Reviews.
Published January 1st 1996 by Kensington (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Relativity Of Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relativity Of Wrong

Yasmine Alfouzan
I've decided to read this collection of essays after a person recommended that I read Asimov's article: 'The Relativity of Wrong' since I loved this quote of his and used it many times:

"When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

This book contains that title-essay
Jihad Lahham
absolutely incredible. Asimov is one of the best writers to explain the most complicated of areas in science and make it absolutely digestible by the lay person. although the relativity if wrong as an essay is a very solid, informative, mind twisting and engaging essay, it is a little sad to see most the readers talking about it as if it's the only great essay and quoting the same sentence over and over again. What i loved about this book is that Asimov explained so many things that i just took ...more
Mathieu Roy
Mar 06, 2014 Mathieu Roy marked it as partly-read
I only read one of the essays in this book, which is also named 'The Relativity of Wrong'. You can read this essay here: http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscienc...

Magdy Shonoda
(Draft review)
Just read The 'Relativity of Wrong' essay (the title-essay from the book), really good.

The essay is built upon this thought:
"When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

Asimov explains what he thinks about the f
Brian Powell
Nov 19, 2012 Brian Powell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think the Earth is: flat, round, an oblate spheroid
Shelves: pop-sci

The accumulation of knowledge and the gradual revision and improvement of humankind's understanding of the Universe. This is how science is done.
Juliana
This is a compilation of essays from Issac Asimov. It's mostly scientific but the last essay that shares the title of the book is not so scientific but a really fun read.
Pieter
With the exception of "I, Robot," I enjoyed Asimov's sience writing much more than his science-fiction; this collection of essays is an excellent introduction to his non-fiction.
Robin
Good combination of personal and enlightening, a general overview of science and what was known about the universe at the time.
M. Hamdist
M. Hamdist marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Chelsea Campbell
Chelsea Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Varadharajan Chandran
Varadharajan Chandran marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Ashok Vardhan
Ashok Vardhan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Anita
Anita is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Robotto
Robotto is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Komail Nadeem
Komail Nadeem marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lt
Lt marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Dren
Dren marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sherif Hamdy
Sherif Hamdy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Universe: A Journey from Earth to the Edge of the Cosmos
  • The Faith Healers
  • Morphic Resonance: The Nature of Formative Causation
  • Isaac Newton: The Last Sorcerer
  • Doubt Is Their Product: How Industry's Assault on Science Threatens Your Health
  • An Urchin in the Storm: Essays about Books and Ideas
  • The Underachiever's Manifesto: The Guide to Accomplishing Little and Feeling Great
  • Birds of America

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)

“The young specialist in English Lit, having quoted me, went on to lecture me severely on the fact that in every century people have thought they understood the Universe at last, and in every century they were proved to be wrong. It follows that the one thing we can say about our modern 'knowledge' is that it is wrong.

The young man then quoted with approval what Socrates had said on learning that the Delphic oracle had proclaimed him the wisest man in Greece. 'If I am the wisest man,' said Socrates, 'it is because I alone know that I know nothing.' The implication was that I was very foolish because I was under the impression I knew a great deal.

Alas, none of this was new to me. (There is very little that is new to me; I wish my correspondents would realize this.) This particular theme was addressed to me a quarter of a century ago by John Campbell, who specialized in irritating me. He also told me that all theories are proven wrong in time.

My answer to him was, 'John, when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.”
4 likes