Start by marking “Dead and Loving It (Wyndham Werewolf, #5; Undead, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Dead and Loving It (Wyndham Werewolf, #5; Undead, #4.5)

Dead and Loving It (Wyndham Werewolf #5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  6,710 ratings  ·  214 reviews
-Santa Claws (originally published in Naughty or Nice anthology)
-Monster Love
-There's No Such Thing as Werewolves (originally published in Lighthearted Lust: Three Not So Serious Tales anthology)
-A Fiend in Need

The queen of comic, erotic, other-species romance brings her best setups and hottest sex scenes to this four-novella party. Three of them feature the bad Wyndha
Published April 4th 2006 by Berkley (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead and Loving It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead and Loving It

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
108th out of 503 books — 1,082 voters
Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDead to the World by Charlaine HarrisNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillNice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper
Humorous Paranormal Books
157th out of 1,049 books — 1,607 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
So many reasons not to like this book :( The main reason is that it is simply poorly written ~ there is no distinction from one character to the next, all of the "voices" sound alike.

Furthmore, the stories are all crappily similar. They all have the same theme of a main character forcing themselves (romantically in the first 3, friendship in the last) on another person. In each story the person being forced upon has no personality besides smartass. Not just your ordinary smartass, but incredibl
Exina
'A Fiend in Need' - 2.5 stars out of 5
(Undead #4.5)

“I’m here to help the queen, not kiss your ass.”

‘A Fiend in Need’ is a short story of George, the Fiend, and Antonia, the werewolf. Antonia has a very handy ability: she can see into the future. Her premonitions lead her to Betsy’s (sorry… Jessica’s) house, where she meets George, whose real name is Garrett, and they instantly fall in love with each other. So Antonia stays and moves in the mansion.

Very short, very quick, very rough-and-ready, b
Carolyn
This author is just not to my tastes, I guess. Too rude, lewd, crude, and with very weak plots. I don't care for the constant (and creative) cursing, and the 'romance' is anything but. I'll be passing on anything else by this author.

ETA: Oh, and a word of warning to those that hate such; the story "Monster Love" is a trite sample of the "kidnapped and raped repeatedly, she can't help but fall in love with him..." school of 'romance'. I'd avoid it, personally.
C
While some of the collection was quite enjoyable, I'm giving this 1 star for the appalling rape fantasies embedded in the sex scenes. The fact that this was written by a female author makes it all the more horrifying.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
1. I pretty sure a doctor can not practice and be blind.

2. If he did suddenly regain his sight he would not be able to identify colors.

3. I can't believe that a werewolf would fall in love with someone just because they smelled like peaches.

4. All the girls in this book talkl like fifeteen year old girls. Yes Duck fuck is actually said.

5. rape is not cool even if a vampire does it.

6. I have no clue how it feels to be trapped in an exercise machine and no one says yeek.

7. why does everyone
Sara ♥
I had to read MaryJanice Davidson's story in this anthology, because I started Book 5, and was like, "Uhhh... who is Garrett, and why are there now two Antonias? Isn't it confusing enough to have two Jons?" So "A Fiend in Need" was a cute little 80 or 90 pages story about George (whose real name is Garrett) and a werewolf chick (Antonia) who can't actually change into a werewolf. It was pretty cute. I liked that it was a nice quick (very quick) read. I read the entire thing at the gym on one day ...more
Alicia
One star only for the Betsy story. I was wondering where the other Antonia came from. The rest were terrible. I can't believe it's the same author and that they're part of a series. The vulgarity was appalling. As was the kidnapping/rape story. The Undead series has some swearing but nothing on the level of the Wyndham one. My eyes hurt.
Cathy
Dec 17, 2008 Cathy added it
I found it at the airport and needed something to read.
Always wondered about her books, but I won't be reading anymore! :)
Barbara Elsborg
So funny - I love the snark, the set up, everything. I wish I'd written it!
Mikayla
I loved this book. MaryJanice Davidson is hilarious!
Theresa
First off, the title. Of the 8 main characters (4 couples: 4 stories= 8) only 2 are dead, so the title is incorrect. Three of the stories are from the ‘Wyndham’ series (with a partial connection in the 3rd). The 4th is the ‘Undead’ series. All four are sequential and have connecting characters. And it got 2 stars only because I liked the 4th book so much.

1)‘Santa Claws’ Wyndham Werewolf #5. 2 stars. Except for the last few chapters getting way overboard, eye-popping sexy, I enjoyed the story. G
Emily
"A Fiend in Need"
The Wyndham Werewolves and Queen Betsy series meet in this story. Antonia is a werewolf who doesn't change into a wolf, but as a consolation prize, she gets to have headaches and see the future. We first met her when she sent Derik to save the world in Derik's Bane. Antonia travels to Minneapolis because a vision told her she'd get something she wants if she went and helped out Betsy. There, she joins up with Betsy, Sinclair, Jessica, etc. And, oddly, falls in love with the fien
Megan Mcclelland
Mar 22, 2008 Megan Mcclelland rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: probably nobody
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5-4/5
[Also available on my blog.]

I don’t really have a lot to say about this, so this is probably going to be a small review, but I did want to talk about this book.

Dead and Loving It is a collection of four short stories by MaryJanice Davidson, some from the Wyndham Werewolves series, and one of them from the Undead series. Now, I read the first three stories a while ago, and enjoyed all of them and read them rather quickly. My favorite was probably Santa Claws, a story in which a werewolf f
Janine
I read this primarily for "A Fiend in Need," as it impacts the Undead series (occurring after the events in Undead and Unreturnable), then decided to read the remaining stories as they were relatively short, and the first one looked kind of cute. But perhaps I should have waited to read the stories related to the Wyndham Werewolves—maybe they would have been more enjoyable in the context of that series. Oh well . . . too late now.

Santa Claws: The opening scene of this short story was hilarious,
MJ
Four short stories all about the Wyndham Werewolves and their quest to find their mate. In these books the werewolves are meeting some unorthodox mates and are trying to keep it a secret from their pack.

In Santa Claws Alec Kilcurt, a Scottish Laird and Werewolf, meets his mate Giselle Smith, a human, on the street. But Alec is unsure how to woe Giselle or tell her he is a werewolf.

In Monster Love Janet Lupo a werewolf, meets Richard Will, a vampire, one day while trying to save his life. Neithe
Anna's Herding Cats!
Yeah this one was pretty bad. Likely wouldn't have finished reading it if I didn't have to for a group challenge.

My big problem was story two. Monster Love. It really just amounted to a kidnap/rape victim falling in love with her abuser. It was just creepy and you wonder who thought it was a good idea to pass along to the reader.

Santa Claus and A Fiend in Need were what saved this from an even lower rating. Santa Claus was fairly cute for a short story. The characters likable and some funny li
Heather
3.5 stars. As with MaryJanice Davidson's "Undead" series, this was a quick read, which is partly why I selected it for a vacation read. "Dead and Loving It" is a collection of four short stories; I read three of the four on a flight from Portland to Dallas.

In the first story, "Santa Claus," Alec (who is passing through town) meets Giselle while she is a bell ringer in a Santa suit. He convinces her to have lunch when her shift is over. She ends up with food poisoning so he takes her to a hotel t
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Samantha
If you like MJD’s books and humor I’m sure you’ll get into this anthology. The stories flow into each other quite nicely and they’re all good reads if you’re looking for something quick and fun to read.

The first story in this anthology is Santa Claws and it centers on Alec who is the pack alpha of Europe or something. Anyway, Alec is walking down a busy street when all of a sudden he gets a whiff of peaches and must find out from where that smell is coming. What he finds is a woman dressed in a
Elle
So I needed a quick mental cleanse after I banged out a whole novel in a month so I selected “Dead and Loving It” by Mary Janice Davidson. I actually bought this book a while ago and it’s been collecting dust for a while.

The book is four separate stories about unusual couples getting together a la romance novel style. The first three, although separate, are barely related because the character from each either know each other or know of each other. The fourth is from Mary Janice’s Betsy the Vamp
sabisteb
Dieses Buch enthält 4 Kurzgeschichten von denen die ersten 3 um die Wyndham Werwälfe angesiedelt sind und die vierte um Betsy Taylor und Antonia (auch eine von den Wyndham Werwölfen).
Santa Claws:
Ein Werwolf verliebt sich in eine moppelige, durchschnittliche Frau, die als Santa Claus jobbt. Das macht etwa 1/4 der Geschichte aus, die restlichen 3/4 beschreiben eigentlich nur noch wie die beiden es die ganze Bacht miteinander treiben, in jedem, teils wenig erotischem, sondern eher eckeligem Detail.
Kathy
Kai
Another good set of stories in the series.

santa claws
A good story in the series but not my favourite so far. Was the story of a wolf from Scotland finding his mate in America. With a very quick courtship that included a bad case of food poisoning. A good story but was not as funny as some of Davidson's other books.

monster love
I tried to read this entire story but found it very difficult. I found I could not get into this book and that it wasn't as funny as Davidson's other books. Do not think I
Chantel
Dead and Loving It: Monster Love / Santa Claws / There's No Such Thing as a Werewolf / A Fiend in Need

I read the last story first since I've been reading MJD's Betsy series then went back and read the first ones. This book is steamier than the Queen Betsy books and much more like a fluffy romance novel than the colorful cast of characters and plot driven stories that are included in the "Dead And..." stories. I don't think you need to read it if romances aren't your thing. Yes, I wanted to hear
Jennifer Wardrip
Don't read all four of the short stories in DEAD AND LOVING IT all at once. Read back-to-back, although a quick read, the stories are all extremely similar--there are even phrases in the stories that have been used, word for word, in the one that came before it.

That said, all four stories deal in some way with werewolves, specifically ones from the Wyndham clan. The stories are short, sexy, and to the point. Although I enjoyed the premise of all of them, the use of the "c" word to describe the
Marsha
This anthology left a lot to be desired and not in a good way, featuring as it did tough-minded ladies crawling with emotional dysfunctions. These were strong, ornery women, a few capable of throwing men into walls. Yet, one after the other, they fall victims to men who are little better than stalkers and rapists. One of these guys is so taciturn he barely says a dozen words before sucking down a woman’s face. (But apparently she likes her men big and dumb, so it’s not a drawback.)

Admittedly, th
Diana
Anthology:

Santa Claws: Scottish werewolf Alex is in Boston to meet the new future pack leader when he meets Giselle, a human dressed as Santa Claus.
Monster Love: Undead vampire Richard kidnaps werewolf Janet after he thinks she stood him up.
There's No Such Thing As a Werewolf: Drake is a blind werewolf doctor who is given the shock of his life when he realizes he can see Crescent, who is more than she seems.
A Fiend in Need: Psychic werewolf Antonia visits the Queen of the Vampires, Betsy, to hel
Molly
Feb 27, 2010 Molly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
So far, not a huge fan. I guess in the realm of the romance genre for a short story to qualify you have to skimp on substance and get right to the "hot" stuff.

Gag.
Gag.
Gag again.

I read this stuff for the quirky characters and skip over the gratuitous sex, it embarrasses me. So, when a 30 page story has 15 pages of werewolf sex....character development and relationships are lacking.

Wow, how prophetic is that ;) (when you focus on the wrong stuff...heh)

So yeah, this collection of short stories has
Goodreads Librari...: Book needs to be added to series list 2 31 Jul 30, 2013 04:34PM
  • Because Your Vampire Said So (Broken Heart, #3)
  • Bit the Jackpot (Vegas Vampires, #2)
  • Dead and Dateless (Dead End Dating, #2)
  • Cravings (Undead, #1.5; Moon, #3.5)
  • Real Vampires Get Lucky (Glory St. Clair, #3)
  • My Sister is a Werewolf (Young Brothers, #4)
  • The Last of the Red-Hot Vampires (Dark Ones, #5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...

Wyndham Werewolf (10 books)
  • Secrets: Volume 6 (Secrets Volume, #6; Wyndham Werwolf, #1)
  • Secrets: Volume 8 (Secrets Volume, #8; Wyndham Werewolf, #2)
  • Lighthearted Lust: Three Not So Serious Tales (Wyndham Werewolf, #2.5)
  • Derik's Bane (Wyndham Werewolf, #3)
  • Naughty Or Nice (Wyndham Werewolf, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Wyndham Werewolf, #6) (Undead, #6.5)
  • Wolf at the Door (Wyndham Werewolf, #7)
  • Driftwood
  • Undead and Underwater (Undead, #11.5)
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)