Start by marking “Doggone Dogs” as Want to Read:
Doggone Dogs

Doggone Dogs

No sooner are these ten doggone dogs out the front door than they?re into a hilarious antic misadventure: disrupting the prim pups at the Perfect Pooch Obedience School, raining chaos on the playground, and?oops!?making one, two, three, four, ten stinky doggie poops. But when our loveable pups get nabbed by the Super Duper Pooper Scooper Pet Patrol? Well, you?ll just have ...more
Published October 2nd 2008 by Dial Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Doggone Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggone Dogs

Becky
Mar 28, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
If you've read my other children's book reviews, you know I am a sucker for a) dogs b) repetition, rhyme, and c) any book the talks about "poop". This book has all three, plus wonderful illustrations. The dogs in this book are so ugly they are cute. My kids love this book and I actually don't cringe when I see them coming with this particular choice. It is a wild adventure from page one all the way to the end while the owner of ten dogs chase them through the park and back home again.

If you are
midnightfaerie
Sep 26, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beaumont is becoming a much loved author around my house as of late. We've picked up more than a few of her books and they always tickle pink my kids. This ones good for preschoolers as well as the older kids. I myself loved the illustrations. The dogs were wacky and silly and adorable. It really added to the story. A fun read for all ages.
Jordan Gissing
Ten Doggone Dogs can’t wait to go to the park. But once there, they cause one doggone disaster after another, No sooner are these ten dogs out the front door starting the create havoc, disrupting the prim pups at the Perfect Pooch Obedience School, running chaos on the playing ground and making one, two, three, four, ten stinky doggie poops. When our loveable pups then get nabbed by the Super Duper Pooper Scooper pet patrol…well you will have to read to find out. These illustrations are unique, ...more
Kim Mccutcheon
Oct 05, 2013 Kim Mccutcheon rated it really liked it
Book Title: Doggone Dogs by Karen Beaumont

Short Description of book: This cute tale is a book about dogs and their adventures through a variety of rhyming words and counting up and back down. There are wonderful illustrations from one of my favorite illustrators (David Catrow).

Teach: I have a couple of ideas in my mind for this book but will share focusing on word choice using this read aloud (I would also use this for focusing on details with illustrations and creating a class book using numbe
Room 123
Feb 18, 2014 Room 123 rated it it was amazing
If you like dogs, you can get Doggone Dogs. There are ten dogs. it is very funny. It is by Karen Beaumont and pictures by David Catrow. I give it 5 stars. How many stars will you give it? Read the book and maybe you'll give it 5 stars! by Izzi
Nathalie S
Jul 14, 2016 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
This is a great read out loud book which sneaks in learning how to count. But the creme de la creme is David Catrow's hilarious illustrations of the dogs! He is the reason I picked up the book in the first place!
Hollie
Nov 06, 2015 Hollie rated it it was amazing
I got this book when it first came out. My son was in love with dogs. We read this every night for a while. My daughter loves it too. I love the cadence of the book. It is such a great read aloud book!
Amanda Pemberton
Oct 18, 2014 Amanda Pemberton rated it really liked it
Shelves: books4children
The words are silly and a delight to the kids (and parents/teachers) and the illustrations are amazing. Love this book full of dogs!! Look at all the detail on each dog...wonderful.
Tracy Morton
Sep 26, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this book. The rhyming was great and it was actually pretty funny. I chuckled a few times. The children will love that the dogs poop in the book.
Phil
Apr 30, 2015 Phil rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved this book. It's a fun and fast read. And infinitely quotable too, I find myself doing it weeks after our last read.
Camille
Oct 30, 2015 Camille rated it it was amazing
one of best children's books out there. my son loves it so much, he knows it by heart. I would read anything by this author.
Caranna
Jul 26, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Early in the morning 10 doggone dogs bound out the door. Their bedraggled owner calls after them to no avail. The owner chases after them clothed in his pajamas, leashes in hand in a futile attempt to capture his dogs and take them home.

The bouncy rhyming text and joyous illustrations make this book a wonderful read. These ten naughty dogs take a wild romp through a park, get captured by animal control and escape from the pound to end up back at home, as it nothing every happened.

DoGGone Dogs
Ina
Apr 16, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Bouncy rhyming text and joyous illustrations make this book, about a ten dogs who take a wild romp through a park, a marvelous story time read. My story time audience loved this book (in spite of having heard three and a flannelboard story already!) They were counting dogs and pointing out their favorites. They also make a point of noticing the dogs' owner follow the dogs, leashes in hand, in a futile chase. Everyone does eventually make it home, including the slightly-worse-for-wear owner (stil ...more
Melanie
When their owner won't get up and out of bed to walk them, 10 dogs decide to run away. They proceed to create havoc everywhere they go. The owner runs after them but is unable to curb their naughty behavior. Dogs bark as they run into the park without leashes. In the park they run and chase and roll in garbage. Eventually the dog catcher catches them. Now they are stuck until their owner comes to get them. Or are they? Sneaky dogs find a way out.

Hilarious rhyming story paired with Catrow's wonde
Guin
Jun 24, 2016 Guin rated it liked it
Nice fun book for kids.
May 27, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
Um, if this is what the dog owner goes through everyday, then I feel incredibly sorry for him. I'm pretty sure that I would not have dealt with these dogs getting away with all that stuff. I did not appreciate how they seemed to do whatever they pleased and suffered no major ill will. The pictures were pretty applicable to the story, but I just didn't enjoy the story. I wouldn't recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
K.C.
Mar 29, 2016 K.C. rated it really liked it
C
Tam
Aug 18, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
We just got a dog so my 7-year-old wants to read any book with a dog in it. This is a fun rhyming book with cute illustrations.

It starts with a man in his bed and all ten of his dogs jumping on him to wake him up.
Excerpt from the book:
As the morning sun peeks through the dark . . .
Doggone dogs begin to bark.
"NO, DOGS! DOWN, DOGS! SIT, DOGS! HEY!"
Doggone dogs to not obey.

My child loved the out-of-control dogs and the things they did at Central Bark (the park).
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Can't go wrong with Beaumont & Catrow. I think this one is even funnier than "Wet Dog." It begs to be read aloud, and I had a hard time not doing so when I read it to myself. Fantastic rhythm and rhyme; fun inclusion of counting; look for the bedraggled dog owner, who can't seem to catch up, tearing through the park in his bedroom slippers. They're not bunny slippers -- they're dog slippers. Great for storytime or anyone who has dogs.
Traci
Jan 16, 2012 Traci rated it liked it
This is a very cute book and great for young kids. The pictures are so hilarious and creative. I loved the rhyming and clever lines the author came up with. It is a fun adventure for little kids oto enjoy. Kids would love to see where these dogs go on their day out and about on the town and what mischief they get into. Fun book.
Meg McGregor
Sep 04, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Having had dogs all my life I can readily identify with each and every event the dogs go through during their day out!

Whether it is running through open gates, spreading "momentos" of themselves throughout the park, or getting picked up and taken to the pound, this book will delight dog owners of all ages!
Kim
Feb 23, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, picture
From "I ani't gonna paint no more" author and illustrator. Funny book. Dogs do not obey, go to obediance school, break out, get couaght by the park ranger and put in doggie jail where they break out again and run for home. Good for storytime about dogs or pair with other Catrow illustrated books
Heidi
Nov 03, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Wonderful art and rambunctious dogs make this a good story for storytime. There's not too many words, and much to talk about in the pictures, for good conversations with the kids. There's a lot of rhymes and repeated sounds, good for early literacy skill of phonological awareness.
Heidi-Marie
Catrow's illustrations are not quite my thing, but these were pretty enjoyable. The text/story was as well. Sort of counting, but not. One I think preschoolers and younger school-age would love in storytime, lap-read, or read-alone. Always plenty to look at in the pictures.
Jackie
Apr 24, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
Ten dogs can't wait to get to the park...even if the sun JUST came up. They get into lots of trouble, yet they can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow. Silly, giggle-inducing illustrations. Great for a dog-themed storytime.

Used for "Caring for Pets-Dogs" Storytime-01/10
Miriam Garcia
Mar 30, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, text-to-self
This is a very funny book that can be helpful in teaching rhyming and counting. The children can also make text to self connections if they love dogs. They could tell their own experiences with their dogs and compare them to the book.
Bree Bosse
Apr 13, 2010 Bree Bosse rated it it was amazing
A hilarious book about mischievous dogs getting into trouble. It is an exciting, colorful book for children- especially for those students who LOVE dogs... it is great for predicting or summarizing and would be a fantastic read-a-loud!
Cheryl
Dec 19, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog, review-gr
Not only do I find myself laughing at the antics over and over, the text is irresistable and I can't help reading it aloud. For dog-lovers of all ages.

"Doggone dogs do not obey!" " No, dogs, no, it is still too early!"
Jodie
Sep 29, 2012 Jodie rated it really liked it
Rhyming story that is very fun. Readers are counting, hearing rhymes, and are able to participate in the story if it is read to them. Love the pictures and how they are fun and silly and just make you want to smile and laugh.
Michelle Carter
Apr 30, 2010 Michelle Carter rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has a dog that just will not do what you say, this book is for you. Great pictures showing the dogs getting into all kinds of mischief and what child does not love a book with the word "poop" in it.
Cute.