Watch Me Throw the Ball!

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant and Piggie #8)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,890 ratings  ·  145 reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Published March 17th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Throw the Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Throw the Ball!

karen
although i hate it when mo willems draws these characters because they are uggee, this story is too much fun to criticize. and it teaches a valuable lesson about how delusions must be indulged even if they are unpopular, like questioning the moon landing or being suspicious of twins or thinking that death to smoochie is a great movie. thank you, sir.
midnightfaerie
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Hayley
I was looking for beginning readers for Katie, and ran on to this series at the library. This was such a joy to read!!! If you are looking for a book to read with or to your little ones, I have to recommend them all. So stinkin' cute. I'm going to have to buy them. I was laughing through the whole book. Mo Willems is a genius. With the few words and clever, simplistic art, I think everyone will love these.
K
Someone needs to explain to me why Mo Willems is so popular. I don't find these books funny at all. The text is often obnoxious. The illustrations are nothing special.
Peggy N
My six year old grandson introduced me to the Elephant and Piggie books. This book will make you smile and even laugh out loud as confident Piggie is learning to throw a ball. She is having fun. Gerald the Elephant lets her know that you can't be good at throwing a ball if you don't practice. Piggie teaches Gerald that it isn't just about being good at throwing the ball but it is also about having fun. We laughed as we read it together. I also loved that it teaches that even if you aren't great...more
Kitty
Out of all the Elephant and Piggie stories this one is probably my favorite, probably because I was such a high strung, shy child and this is something that I myself could have benefited from hearing. In fact, I probably still could. As for the story its self I had so much fun with this one that as soon as we finished it was promptly read again and again, the lesson about the ball easily extended into the reading lesson.

Gerald has a ball, and as usual once Piggie wants to join in he happily lets...more
David
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In Watch Me Throw the Ball!, Gerald is determined to teach Piggie that ball-throwing is serious business... but Piggie is just as determined to have serious fun. (Goodreads Summary)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is a hilarious look at Piggie the Optimist versus Elephant the Pessimist. It's also about impulse versus caution. With his simple but hysterical illu...more
Heather
I will just give a generic review of this series.....We love them. They are so dang funny. It amazes me that with just a few pen strokes Willems can convey so many different emotions. The illustrations are hilarious and the story line is always entertaining. They are great books for reading out loud in dramatic ways. They're also great for kids wanting something to read on their own, or with a parent. Sometimes I'll read the Pig part (because I'm a girl) and my boys will read the Elephant part (...more
Stella Kochan
I remember reading and being a fan of Mo Willems when I was younger. His books are fun and easy to read and they are books that will make you smile. Also, I thought it was cool because my friend has an app on how to draw the pigeon from don't let the pigeon...
I did it and is was fun!!
Connie
There aren't many easy reader series out there that are as funny as the Elephant and Piggy books. These have very simple illustrations and a lot of very emotional turns of phrase, so hopefully you can start from the beginning keeping kids from developing that awful droning readaloud voice so many children have.

Piggie catches a ball and wants to throw it. NATURALLY, Gerald takes everything too seriously, talking about how long it takes to learn to throw a ball. Piggie throws it... AROUND THE WORL...more
Josiah
I love this book! Watch Me Throw the Ball! is filled to the brim with all the best of Mo Willems as author, along with his perfectly expressive illustrations; and when I say "perfectly expressive" here, I'm talking about work of true understated genius!

The story bulges with charm, humor and sweetness all the way through, the kind of creation that I might expect to see from author/illustrator Kevin Henkes. Elephant and Piggie are terrific characters who say funny and unexpected things at every...more
Carolyn
The Elephant and Piggy Books got my reluctant reader to start. We each take a character to read. It has been fun to see him try our different voices for Elephant and Piggy. Absolutely a 5 star book.
Sarah Adamson
This book utterly confused my daughter at first as she kept pointing at the ball. A great story of how playing games should be about the fun and not about how far you can throw a ball!
Dana
I love Mo Willems. This one is hysterical. Piggie is priceless as he brags about his throwing talents while elephant looks on bewildered amazement and frustration. Adorable.
Kaethe
2009 May 7

Gerald and Piggie are so cute. And they're funny. It's hard to do good early readers, by Willems is brilliant.

Library copy
Jaguar
Colleen
This book is such fun to read out loud! My 4-year-old nephew can listen to it over and over again and I never tire of reading it to him.
Alicia
We love Elephant and Piggie books! So expressive and humorous and this one reminds us of the importance of having fun. =)
Jeanne
Piggie thinks that throwing a ball is fun but Gerald thinks it is serious business of skill and practice. Once again the friends show that there is more than one way to play.
Kristine
You see why my goal this year is for 100 books? Because I can count the ones I read with my 7 year old. And really they should count because even if it's a picture book, if it's Elephant and Piggie, we read it about 100 times each. So yeah, it counts :-)

I love this one because I love piggies attitude about playing, that's what bumped it up to a 4th star. And that it's a pretty good descriptor of the difference between Ellie and I. Usually it ends up with Ellie showing me how to have more fun . O...more
Stephanie Croaning
A good reminder that having fun is very important!
Suzanne Knighton
A story about compassion and accepting oneself via Piggie.
Cheyenne
Pig is such an interesting character.
Corinne
just have fun!
Robin
Super Piggie Rocks!
Nielson
In this delightful Elephant and Piggie book, Piggie wants to throw the ball after he sees Elephant do it, but Elephant warns him that there is a lot more to throwing a ball than you think. Piggie listens to all of Elephant's advice and then gives it a go...but things don't turn out quite how Elephant thought they should. In the end though, it is Elephant that learns the greater lesson....just have fun!! This is such a cute and fun book with simple illustrations and comical bubble text...kids are...more
Anna
Piggie is excited about showing off his ball throwing skills. He actually loses control of the ball and it goes behind him, which Elephant knows but Piggie does not (or at least pretends not to know!)

Gerald the Elephant becomes frustrated trying to explain to Piggie that she is really not a great ball thrower, but Piggie ends up teaching Elephant a lesson about play.

Chosen by Drew as a birthday gift using his B & N gift card when I took him shopping with my teacher discount card.
Snorkle
If there is anyone who can make me laugh, it is Mo Willems. Everytime I pick up one of his books I end up chuckling. This book was no exception. I liked watching the interaction between Elephant and Piggie and seeing their crazy antics. I especially loved the illustrations, they were superb . I would totally recommend this book!

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Heidi
Wow--Piggie is awesome in this. Her expressions, her attitude, her sillyness. And I love the ending, of course.

I think I like this book even more because that's exactly how I am with sports! Well, not thinking that I threw the ball around the world. But trying, it never going where it "should," and me loving it because I had fun. Sports are all about fun for me, not really about the competition. That alone moved the book from 4 stars to 5 stars.
Logan
Again Willems hits the target in terms of providing a book that's funny, but also introduces words and repeats them without it seeming forced or boring. Easy for new readers to tell the tone and read with feeling, as the bigger the words, the louder they are. Whispers are in tiny letters. Also, Willems uses lots of punctuation, including quotes, ellipses, and exclamation points, as well as using italics. Logan loves reading these aloud to me.
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • New Socks
  • Little Hoot
  • Love, Splat
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Santa Duck
  • Not a Stick
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • Tall
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Guess Again!
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!