Start by marking “Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)” as Want to Read:
Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie #8)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,948 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Published March 17th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Throw the Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Throw the Ball!

We are in a Book! by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo WillemsI am Going! by Mo WillemsToday I Will Fly! by Mo WillemsLet's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems
Gerald and Piggie books by Mo Willems
11th out of 24 books — 23 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
44th out of 406 books — 317 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Oct 12, 2014 karen rated it it was amazing
although i hate it when mo willems draws these characters because they are uggee, this story is too much fun to criticize. and it teaches a valuable lesson about how delusions must be indulged even if they are unpopular, like questioning the moon landing or being suspicious of twins or thinking that death to smoochie is a great movie. thank you, sir.
midnightfaerie
Sep 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Alicia
Oct 06, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
My class of 4 year olds loved this book. We are working on being kind to each other. They were sad when Gerald was not kind to his friend, but loved Pig's playful spirit and good attitude.
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
¡Qué cosa más tierna! Creo que yo actuaría igual que "Cerdita" xD.
Bruna
Nov 16, 2014 Bruna rated it liked it
Just have fun, it's a good message ;)
Hayley
May 17, 2010 Hayley rated it it was amazing
I was looking for beginning readers for Katie, and ran on to this series at the library. This was such a joy to read!!! If you are looking for a book to read with or to your little ones, I have to recommend them all. So stinkin' cute. I'm going to have to buy them. I was laughing through the whole book. Mo Willems is a genius. With the few words and clever, simplistic art, I think everyone will love these.
Max Kazmierczak
Nov 27, 2014 Max Kazmierczak rated it it was amazing
This book is about Gerald bragging about how far he can throw his ball. But then piggie comes and wants to try and throw it too. But Gerald tries to talk Piggie out of it and tells her that she can't throw the ball because she doesn't know how. Piggie of course disregards Gerald comments and throws the ball. But the ball does not go forward but it goes behind both of them. Piggie doesn't understand and she thinks that she threw the ball all the way around the world and starts to make a big deal ...more
K
Mar 18, 2009 K rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
Someone needs to explain to me why Mo Willems is so popular. I don't find these books funny at all. The text is often obnoxious. The illustrations are nothing special.
Peggy N
Apr 16, 2014 Peggy N rated it really liked it
My six year old grandson introduced me to the Elephant and Piggie books. This book will make you smile and even laugh out loud as confident Piggie is learning to throw a ball. She is having fun. Gerald the Elephant lets her know that you can't be good at throwing a ball if you don't practice. Piggie teaches Gerald that it isn't just about being good at throwing the ball but it is also about having fun. We laughed as we read it together. I also loved that it teaches that even if you aren't great ...more
Rachel
Jun 17, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Gerald is way too serious about learning to throw the ball, whereas Piggie is just there to have fun. She throws the ball and it ends up going behind her and she thinks she is the greatest thrower ever and keeps making up all these things like calling herself "Super Pig" and making up little chants. It is up to Gerald to break the news to her gently.But she doesn't care, she had a lot of fun doing it. Gerald me think of adults and how we tend to take things too seriously. Then of course, Gerald ...more
Kitty
May 04, 2011 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Out of all the Elephant and Piggie stories this one is probably my favorite, probably because I was such a high strung, shy child and this is something that I myself could have benefited from hearing. In fact, I probably still could. As for the story its self I had so much fun with this one that as soon as we finished it was promptly read again and again, the lesson about the ball easily extended into the reading lesson.

Gerald has a ball, and as usual once Piggie wants to join in he happily lets
David
Jan 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In Watch Me Throw the Ball!, Gerald is determined to teach Piggie that ball-throwing is serious business... but Piggie is just as determined to have serious fun. (Goodreads Summary)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is a hilarious look at Piggie the Optimist versus Elephant the Pessimist. It's also about impulse versus caution. With his simple but hysterical illu
Heather
I will just give a generic review of this series.....We love them. They are so dang funny. It amazes me that with just a few pen strokes Willems can convey so many different emotions. The illustrations are hilarious and the story line is always entertaining. They are great books for reading out loud in dramatic ways. They're also great for kids wanting something to read on their own, or with a parent. Sometimes I'll read the Pig part (because I'm a girl) and my boys will read the Elephant part ( ...more
Stella Kochan
Aug 25, 2014 Stella Kochan rated it liked it
I remember reading and being a fan of Mo Willems when I was younger. His books are fun and easy to read and they are books that will make you smile. Also, I thought it was cool because my friend has an app on how to draw the pigeon from don't let the pigeon...
I did it and is was fun!!
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 05, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it it was amazing
Willems knocks it out of the park yet again with pitch-perfect characterization contrasts while epitomizing childhood (and adulthood) personality types.

Opposites attract, and Elephant & Piggie win again!

VERY recommended for beginning readers!
Connie
Jun 15, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
There aren't many easy reader series out there that are as funny as the Elephant and Piggy books. These have very simple illustrations and a lot of very emotional turns of phrase, so hopefully you can start from the beginning keeping kids from developing that awful droning readaloud voice so many children have.

Piggie catches a ball and wants to throw it. NATURALLY, Gerald takes everything too seriously, talking about how long it takes to learn to throw a ball. Piggie throws it... AROUND THE WORL
Josiah
Jul 26, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
I love this book! Watch Me Throw the Ball! is filled to the brim with all the best of Mo Willems as author, along with his perfectly expressive illustrations; and when I say "perfectly expressive" here, I'm talking about work of true understated genius!

The story bulges with charm, humor and sweetness all the way through, the kind of creation that I might expect to see from author/illustrator Kevin Henkes. Elephant and Piggie are terrific characters who say funny and unexpected things at every
Stacey Gante
This book about a pig having and then throwing a ball, I would personally have this book in my classroom library. I like how this book is simple but children can still learn and pronounce letter sounds.
Katie Lorsch
Nov 11, 2015 Katie Lorsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tommy, early-readers
I thought this book was silly because he threw the ball and he thought he threw it around the world. And my brother was playing a game while I was reading it but he listened to most of the story. -Tommy
Tanja
Aug 22, 2015 Tanja rated it it was amazing
Each one of the books in the series is a treasure that makes me look forward to sharing it with kids. These books were made for, beg to be read out loud. So much fun while always embedding a beautiful message.
Bethe
Dec 12, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it
Gotta love Piggie's enthusiasm! For such a simple illustration style, Willems really captures and conveys character emotion well, for example page 47 when Piggie sees how far the ball went. Love this series!
Becky B
Piggie wants to throw Gerald's ball, but Gerald is concerned Piggie does not have the necessary skills. Gerald lectures and lectures, but Piggie is certain that the only thing required is to have fun. The throw doesn't quite go as expected, but both learn something from it.

A nice little lesson about humility and also learning to lighten up in this one, with some rather crazy conclusions along the way that make this quite fun. I think the best thing about Elephant & Piggie books is that Wille
Carolyn
Jul 13, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
The Elephant and Piggy Books got my reluctant reader to start. We each take a character to read. It has been fun to see him try our different voices for Elephant and Piggy. Absolutely a 5 star book.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 02, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
This book utterly confused my daughter at first as she kept pointing at the ball. A great story of how playing games should be about the fun and not about how far you can throw a ball!
Dana
Feb 08, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-readers
I love Mo Willems. This one is hysterical. Piggie is priceless as he brags about his throwing talents while elephant looks on bewildered amazement and frustration. Adorable.
Rachel Ferguson
Jul 02, 2015 Rachel Ferguson rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
fun is the thing. elephant learns it. piggy owns it! great use of all caps and font size. page 45 "'super pig' is really neat! 'super pig' cannot be beat!"
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
2009 May 7

Gerald and Piggie are so cute. And they're funny. It's hard to do good early readers, by Willems is brilliant.

Library copy
Valentin Eni
Dec 30, 2014 Valentin Eni rated it it was amazing
Una dintre cele mai reuşite cărţi din seria despre elefănţel şi purceluşă. "Do you know the secret to... (everything)?" Sure. "Have fun"
Colleen
Mar 29, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This book is such fun to read out loud! My 4-year-old nephew can listen to it over and over again and I never tire of reading it to him.
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Not a Stick
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Robot Zot!
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Duck Soup
  • Duck! Rabbit!
  • But Excuse Me That Is My Book
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)