Start by marking “Watch Me Throw the Ball!” as Want to Read:
Watch Me Throw the Ball!

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie #8)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  2,192 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Published March 17th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Throw the Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Throw the Ball!

karen
although i hate it when mo willems draws these characters because they are uggee, this story is too much fun to criticize. and it teaches a valuable lesson about how delusions must be indulged even if they are unpopular, like questioning the moon landing or being suspicious of twins or thinking that death to smoochie is a great movie. thank you, sir.
midnightfaerie
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Alicia
My class of 4 year olds loved this book. We are working on being kind to each other. They were sad when Gerald was not kind to his friend, but loved Pig's playful spirit and good attitude.
Bruna
Just have fun, it's a good message ;)
Hayley
I was looking for beginning readers for Katie, and ran on to this series at the library. This was such a joy to read!!! If you are looking for a book to read with or to your little ones, I have to recommend them all. So stinkin' cute. I'm going to have to buy them. I was laughing through the whole book. Mo Willems is a genius. With the few words and clever, simplistic art, I think everyone will love these.
Max Kazmierczak
This book is about Gerald bragging about how far he can throw his ball. But then piggie comes and wants to try and throw it too. But Gerald tries to talk Piggie out of it and tells her that she can't throw the ball because she doesn't know how. Piggie of course disregards Gerald comments and throws the ball. But the ball does not go forward but it goes behind both of them. Piggie doesn't understand and she thinks that she threw the ball all the way around the world and starts to make a big deal ...more
K
Someone needs to explain to me why Mo Willems is so popular. I don't find these books funny at all. The text is often obnoxious. The illustrations are nothing special.
Peggy N
My six year old grandson introduced me to the Elephant and Piggie books. This book will make you smile and even laugh out loud as confident Piggie is learning to throw a ball. She is having fun. Gerald the Elephant lets her know that you can't be good at throwing a ball if you don't practice. Piggie teaches Gerald that it isn't just about being good at throwing the ball but it is also about having fun. We laughed as we read it together. I also loved that it teaches that even if you aren't great ...more
Kitty
Out of all the Elephant and Piggie stories this one is probably my favorite, probably because I was such a high strung, shy child and this is something that I myself could have benefited from hearing. In fact, I probably still could. As for the story its self I had so much fun with this one that as soon as we finished it was promptly read again and again, the lesson about the ball easily extended into the reading lesson.

Gerald has a ball, and as usual once Piggie wants to join in he happily lets
David
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In Watch Me Throw the Ball!, Gerald is determined to teach Piggie that ball-throwing is serious business... but Piggie is just as determined to have serious fun. (Goodreads Summary)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is a hilarious look at Piggie the Optimist versus Elephant the Pessimist. It's also about impulse versus caution. With his simple but hysterical illu
Heather
I will just give a generic review of this series.....We love them. They are so dang funny. It amazes me that with just a few pen strokes Willems can convey so many different emotions. The illustrations are hilarious and the story line is always entertaining. They are great books for reading out loud in dramatic ways. They're also great for kids wanting something to read on their own, or with a parent. Sometimes I'll read the Pig part (because I'm a girl) and my boys will read the Elephant part ( ...more
Stella Kochan
I remember reading and being a fan of Mo Willems when I was younger. His books are fun and easy to read and they are books that will make you smile. Also, I thought it was cool because my friend has an app on how to draw the pigeon from don't let the pigeon...
I did it and is was fun!!
Tim Vandenberg
Willems knocks it out of the park yet again with pitch-perfect characterization contrasts while epitomizing childhood (and adulthood) personality types.

Opposites attract, and Elephant & Piggie win again!

VERY recommended for beginning readers!
Connie
There aren't many easy reader series out there that are as funny as the Elephant and Piggy books. These have very simple illustrations and a lot of very emotional turns of phrase, so hopefully you can start from the beginning keeping kids from developing that awful droning readaloud voice so many children have.

Piggie catches a ball and wants to throw it. NATURALLY, Gerald takes everything too seriously, talking about how long it takes to learn to throw a ball. Piggie throws it... AROUND THE WORL
Josiah
I love this book! Watch Me Throw the Ball! is filled to the brim with all the best of Mo Willems as author, along with his perfectly expressive illustrations; and when I say "perfectly expressive" here, I'm talking about work of true understated genius!

The story bulges with charm, humor and sweetness all the way through, the kind of creation that I might expect to see from author/illustrator Kevin Henkes. Elephant and Piggie are terrific characters who say funny and unexpected things at every
Bethe
Gotta love Piggie's enthusiasm! For such a simple illustration style, Willems really captures and conveys character emotion well, for example page 47 when Piggie sees how far the ball went. Love this series!
Becky B
Piggie wants to throw Gerald's ball, but Gerald is concerned Piggie does not have the necessary skills. Gerald lectures and lectures, but Piggie is certain that the only thing required is to have fun. The throw doesn't quite go as expected, but both learn something from it.

A nice little lesson about humility and also learning to lighten up in this one, with some rather crazy conclusions along the way that make this quite fun. I think the best thing about Elephant & Piggie books is that Wille
Carolyn
The Elephant and Piggy Books got my reluctant reader to start. We each take a character to read. It has been fun to see him try our different voices for Elephant and Piggy. Absolutely a 5 star book.
Sarah Adamson
This book utterly confused my daughter at first as she kept pointing at the ball. A great story of how playing games should be about the fun and not about how far you can throw a ball!
Dana
I love Mo Willems. This one is hysterical. Piggie is priceless as he brags about his throwing talents while elephant looks on bewildered amazement and frustration. Adorable.
Kaethe
2009 May 7

Gerald and Piggie are so cute. And they're funny. It's hard to do good early readers, by Willems is brilliant.

Library copy
Valentin Eni
Una dintre cele mai reuşite cărţi din seria despre elefănţel şi purceluşă. "Do you know the secret to... (everything)?" Sure. "Have fun"
Colleen
This book is such fun to read out loud! My 4-year-old nephew can listen to it over and over again and I never tire of reading it to him.
Alicia
We love Elephant and Piggie books! So expressive and humorous and this one reminds us of the importance of having fun. =)
Molly
Another great Elephant and Piggie book about remembering that having fun is more important than winning.
Jeanne
Piggie thinks that throwing a ball is fun but Gerald thinks it is serious business of skill and practice. Once again the friends show that there is more than one way to play.
Liz Bautista
Another Willems' Hit! I was laughing out loud the whole time! (:
Kristine
You see why my goal this year is for 100 books? Because I can count the ones I read with my 7 year old. And really they should count because even if it's a picture book, if it's Elephant and Piggie, we read it about 100 times each. So yeah, it counts :-)

I love this one because I love piggies attitude about playing, that's what bumped it up to a 4th star. And that it's a pretty good descriptor of the difference between Ellie and I. Usually it ends up with Ellie showing me how to have more fun . O
Stephanie Croaning
A good reminder that having fun is very important!
Suzanne Knighton
A story about compassion and accepting oneself via Piggie.
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Not a Stick
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Santa Duck
  • Smash! Crash!
  • Good News, Bad News
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Today I Will Fly!
  • My Friend is Sad
  • I am Invited to a Party!
  • There is a Bird on Your Head!
  • I Love My New Toy!
  • I Will Surprise My Friend!
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside?
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!