Start by marking “Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)” as Want to Read:
Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie #8)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  3,119 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Published March 17th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Throw the Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Throw the Ball!

Oct 12, 2014 karen rated it it was amazing
although i hate it when mo willems draws these characters because they are uggee, this story is too much fun to criticize. and it teaches a valuable lesson about how delusions must be indulged even if they are unpopular, like questioning the moon landing or being suspicious of twins or thinking that death to smoochie is a great movie. thank you, sir.
Sep 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Wow--Piggie is awesome in this. Her expressions, her attitude, her silliness. And I love the ending, of course.

I think I like this book even more because that's exactly how I am with sports! Well, not thinking that I threw the ball around the world. But trying, it never going where it "should," and me loving it because I had fun. Sports are all about fun for me, not really about the competition. That alone moved the book from 4 stars to 5 stars.

2/3/16 Used in E is for... theme. It's been a while
May 17, 2010 Hayley rated it it was amazing
I was looking for beginning readers for Katie, and ran on to this series at the library. This was such a joy to read!!! If you are looking for a book to read with or to your little ones, I have to recommend them all. So stinkin' cute. I'm going to have to buy them. I was laughing through the whole book. Mo Willems is a genius. With the few words and clever, simplistic art, I think everyone will love these.
Mar 18, 2009 K rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
Someone needs to explain to me why Mo Willems is so popular. I don't find these books funny at all. The text is often obnoxious. The illustrations are nothing special.
Oct 06, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
My class of 4 year olds loved this book. We are working on being kind to each other. They were sad when Gerald was not kind to his friend, but loved Pig's playful spirit and good attitude.
Nov 16, 2014 Bruna rated it liked it
Just have fun, it's a good message ;)
Michele Knott
Jun 03, 2016 Michele Knott rated it it was amazing
I love Piggie's enthusiasm. And optimism. And my daughter throws like Piggie.
Jun 03, 2015 Karen added it
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
¡Qué cosa más tierna! Creo que yo actuaría igual que "Cerdita" xD.
Michael Dorsher
Sep 26, 2016 Michael Dorsher rated it liked it
An amusing vignette, but not my favourite from Willems.
Max Kazmierczak
Nov 27, 2014 Max Kazmierczak rated it it was amazing
This book is about Gerald bragging about how far he can throw his ball. But then piggie comes and wants to try and throw it too. But Gerald tries to talk Piggie out of it and tells her that she can't throw the ball because she doesn't know how. Piggie of course disregards Gerald comments and throws the ball. But the ball does not go forward but it goes behind both of them. Piggie doesn't understand and she thinks that she threw the ball all the way around the world and starts to make a big deal ...more
May 04, 2011 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Out of all the Elephant and Piggie stories this one is probably my favorite, probably because I was such a high strung, shy child and this is something that I myself could have benefited from hearing. In fact, I probably still could. As for the story its self I had so much fun with this one that as soon as we finished it was promptly read again and again, the lesson about the ball easily extended into the reading lesson.

Gerald has a ball, and as usual once Piggie wants to join in he happily lets
Jan 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In Watch Me Throw the Ball!, Gerald is determined to teach Piggie that ball-throwing is serious business... but Piggie is just as determined to have serious fun. (Goodreads Summary)

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is a hilarious look at Piggie the Optimist versus Elephant the Pessimist. It's also about impulse versus caution. With his simple but hysterical illu
I will just give a generic review of this series.....We love them. They are so dang funny. It amazes me that with just a few pen strokes Willems can convey so many different emotions. The illustrations are hilarious and the story line is always entertaining. They are great books for reading out loud in dramatic ways. They're also great for kids wanting something to read on their own, or with a parent. Sometimes I'll read the Pig part (because I'm a girl) and my boys will read the Elephant part ( ...more
Jul 26, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
I love this book! Watch Me Throw the Ball! is filled to the brim with all the best of Mo Willems as author, along with his perfectly expressive illustrations; and when I say "perfectly expressive" here, I'm talking about work of true understated genius!

The story bulges with charm, humor and sweetness all the way through, the kind of creation that I might expect to see from author/illustrator Kevin Henkes. Elephant and Piggie are terrific characters who say funny and unexpected things at every
Jun 15, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
There aren't many easy reader series out there that are as funny as the Elephant and Piggy books. These have very simple illustrations and a lot of very emotional turns of phrase, so hopefully you can start from the beginning keeping kids from developing that awful droning readaloud voice so many children have.

Piggie catches a ball and wants to throw it. NATURALLY, Gerald takes everything too seriously, talking about how long it takes to learn to throw a ball. Piggie throws it... AROUND THE WORL
Becky B
Piggie wants to throw Gerald's ball, but Gerald is concerned Piggie does not have the necessary skills. Gerald lectures and lectures, but Piggie is certain that the only thing required is to have fun. The throw doesn't quite go as expected, but both learn something from it.

A nice little lesson about humility and also learning to lighten up in this one, with some rather crazy conclusions along the way that make this quite fun. I think the best thing about Elephant & Piggie books is that Wille
Nov 17, 2013 Kristine rated it really liked it
You see why my goal this year is for 100 books? Because I can count the ones I read with my 7 year old. And really they should count because even if it's a picture book, if it's Elephant and Piggie, we read it about 100 times each. So yeah, it counts :-)

I love this one because I love piggies attitude about playing, that's what bumped it up to a 4th star. And that it's a pretty good descriptor of the difference between Ellie and I. Usually it ends up with Ellie showing me how to have more fun . O
Jun 17, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Gerald is way too serious about learning to throw the ball, whereas Piggie is just there to have fun. She throws the ball and it ends up going behind her and she thinks she is the greatest thrower ever and keeps making up all these things like calling herself "Super Pig" and making up little chants. It is up to Gerald to break the news to her gently.But she doesn't care, she had a lot of fun doing it. Gerald me think of adults and how we tend to take things too seriously. Then of course, Gerald ...more
Peggy N
Apr 16, 2014 Peggy N rated it really liked it
My six year old grandson introduced me to the Elephant and Piggie books. This book will make you smile and even laugh out loud as confident Piggie is learning to throw a ball. She is having fun. Gerald the Elephant lets her know that you can't be good at throwing a ball if you don't practice. Piggie teaches Gerald that it isn't just about being good at throwing the ball but it is also about having fun. We laughed as we read it together. I also loved that it teaches that even if you aren't great ...more
Nov 28, 2009 Nielson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
In this delightful Elephant and Piggie book, Piggie wants to throw the ball after he sees Elephant do it, but Elephant warns him that there is a lot more to throwing a ball than you think. Piggie listens to all of Elephant's advice and then gives it a go...but things don't turn out quite how Elephant thought they should. In the end though, it is Elephant that learns the greater lesson....just have fun!! This is such a cute and fun book with simple illustrations and comical bubble are ...more
If there is anyone who can make me laugh, it is Mo Willems. Everytime I pick up one of his books I end up chuckling. This book was no exception. I liked watching the interaction between Elephant and Piggie and seeing their crazy antics. I especially loved the illustrations, they were superb . I would totally recommend this book!

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Oct 22, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Piggie is excited about showing off his ball throwing skills. He actually loses control of the ball and it goes behind him, which Elephant knows but Piggie does not (or at least pretends not to know!)

Gerald the Elephant becomes frustrated trying to explain to Piggie that she is really not a great ball thrower, but Piggie ends up teaching Elephant a lesson about play.

Chosen by Drew as a birthday gift using his B & N gift card when I took him shopping with my teacher discount card.
Meridith Byrne
Jun 01, 2013 Meridith Byrne rated it it was amazing
My gorgeous children and I discovered this series last summer when we borrowed Watch Me Throw the Ball! from the library. Mo Willems has created two charming characters - an effusive, broad-minded little pig and a slightly neurotic elephant - through hilarious illustrations and dialogue. This is a good series to read together with your child because you can each take a part. We always end-up laughing out loud.
Again Willems hits the target in terms of providing a book that's funny, but also introduces words and repeats them without it seeming forced or boring. Easy for new readers to tell the tone and read with feeling, as the bigger the words, the louder they are. Whispers are in tiny letters. Also, Willems uses lots of punctuation, including quotes, ellipses, and exclamation points, as well as using italics. Logan loves reading these aloud to me.
May 31, 2016 Ina rated it really liked it
Elephant and Piggie are best friends - with a ball. As with all of the books in this series, there is simple dialog, fun illustrations and problems with communication. Young children will be able to identify with the difficulties of throwing a ball. They will also identify with Piggie's inflated description of his ball throwing abilities - which are laugh-out-loud funny. One thing that Piggie DOES get is that playing ball is all about having fun.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 03, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
The exuberant Piggy borrows Elephant's ball-- he's convinced he's thrown it out of sight, and does wild victory dances. However, it actually fell behind him, and a frustrated Elephant breaks the news to him-- only for Piggy to convince him that the most important thing is that he had fun.

My six year old son read this with me, and laughed hysterically, showing that Mo Willems touch didn't fail here. A great early reader, which happens to also enforce a strong point.
Nov 13, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Piggy is always happy. In this book, they are playing with a ball. Piggy says how he can throw it so far and when he actually does throw it, it's does not go far. In fact it goes behind him, but because of piggy's positive attitude he does not see this as a failure... He sees it as a enormous throw! He thinks he threw it around the world. We should all think how piggy thinks.
Sep 16, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2009
This is another fun "Elephant and Piggie" book by Mo Willems. We really enjoy these stories, even though there's very little plot to them. Our girls enjoy the onomatopoeia and silly dialogue and although the book is a bit long, our oldest was able to read the whole book with little assistance from me. Fun for a read aloud session.
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Shark vs. Train
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Dodsworth in London
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)