Start by marking “The Peacemaker” as Want to Read:
The Peacemaker

The Peacemaker (Men of the Saddle #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  41 reviews
New series set in the west, fresh on the heels of the successful "The Brides of the West" series 250,000 sold in series!
Light-hearted romance with Christian content
Lori Copeland is a Best-selling author
Hardcover, Large Print, 400 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Peacemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peacemaker

Sheri Salatin
Wynne Elliot was left standing at the alter by Cass Claxton. She feels hurt, angry, embarrassed and betrayed. She sets out for Kansas to get revenge. Her plan? Shoot Cass Claxton straight through the heart. He left with her heart and almost every dime of her inheritance money!
When Wynne sets out for revenge, she ignores the small voice tugging at her conscience. She is so set on getting her vengence that she blunders into many mishaps along the way. And the people she meets...well, lets just say
Kathryn
Sunshine
I gave this 4 stars rather then 3 1/2 because it was an enjoyable read and because the past few books I've read had really lame leading men. However, Cole Claxton is someone I would have be drawn to. I liked him a lot. He made me smile many times and even laugh a little. Wynne was kind of a silly girl and always in some sort of trouble, but she was likeable as well. Her intent to kill a guy because he jilted her and took her money was a little over the top, but it was what drove the story. I've ...more
Chanelle
3.5 stars is the actual rating. (Goodreads really needs to find a way to factor in those half points.)

This is one of the first Christian novels that I read and one of the first Christian romance novels I have ever read. To be honest, I would have thought the phrase "Christian Romance" to be an oxymoron, considering the quality of the typical romance novel i.e. Mills and Boon and Harlequin-esque romances.

I enjoyed this book because it does a great job of fusing the tenets of Christianity with th
Linda Clarke
The Men of the Saddle Series and the Bride of the West Series are full of adventure, humor, and romance. Lori keeps a reader interested to the last page. I love the way she writes Christian fiction. She doesn't preach but has good old fashioned values. Way to go, Lori!
James
I did not enjoy this book. The premise was promising: jilted woman seeks revenge on the man who stole her money and left her at the alter, only to meet another man along the way. But I found Copeland's writing style to be droll, repetitious, and tripe. Her continuous need to repeat the same sentiment in various ways comes across as insulting to this reader's intellect. I do not need to be told multiple times that men are scum, women with bird hats are idiotic, or that revenge may not be God's pl ...more
Cassie ♥
I understand from the back of the book that this was an older book re-made and new material for this series will begin with the fourth (Men of the Saddle Series).

To me, it felt like two or three older books badly tied together.
Kelli
A good first in the series book. This series isn't all bad, but its not excellently written either. However, it has some brilliant moments.
Cari
Interesting, sometimes funny, but unrealistic at times.
Donna
It was slow to get started but these types of books usually are. I liked the Christian references and clean romance story line. Good details and accuracy with the post civil war era. Of course, the author had me chuckling out loud, again! Currently reading book #2 in the series. I recommend this book for anyone who likes the 19th century frontier life with simplicity, Christian values and strong morals.
Mary
What a cute story where one son of a well-thought of family looses his head and hurts a young lady who wants revenge. Down the road she meets some of the rest of the family and begins to wonder if she misread him. While falling in love with another son, she works out her anger towards Cass and her forgiveness heals her and the son makes his amends. A happy ending to a hard lesson for more than one!
Barbara
I usually like Ms. Copeland's books, but I could not tolerate this one. Wynne Elliot, the supposed heroine, is spoiled, shallow, self-centered, and nasty. Any man spending more than 5 minutes in her company would realize this and run for the hills. However pretty she may be (Copeland describes her green eyes and auburn hair repeatedly), she's still no better than a pig wearing a nose ring, as the book of Proverbs points out.

Her actions put other innocent people in harm's way and there is no amou
Annalisa
I enjoyed this author's "Brides of the West" series so I thought I would try this series from the man's perspective and it did not disappoint.
Amazon Book Description:
Bull-headed Wynne Elliot has one goal in mind: to track down Cass Claxton and shoot him dead for leaving her at the altar and running off with her money. But when Cass's brother Cole shows up, Wynne finds herself on an unexpected adventure, and she just might lose her heart.

Beloved author Lori Copeland takes readers back in time to
Lisa
This was such a fun story to read. Lori Copeland had me laughing out loud on several occasions. The hero is strong, muscular and handsome and completely put out by the heroine. He thinks she is a nutcase and she certainly does a good job of making herself look that way. But you also realize that she just can't seem to catch a break. She's hell bent on revenge and nothing is going to stop her. She falls into one mishap after another. I can't wait to get the next book in the series. I'm hoping it' ...more
Erika
Great book! My favorite part was @ the end when Wynne said " Oh, I wasn't goiong to shoot him, I was going to thank him!"
Janine
A book full of misunderstandings from the start to the very end, mixed in with a lot mishaps and humor.

Wynne is a woman on a mission to hurt the man who jilted her at the alter. Once Cole learns this mission, he is on his own mission to protect brother. The adventure that happens as result of each mission, both centered around Cole's brother Cass, throws both Wynne and Cole into a interesting game of "whose will is stronger".

There have been books by Lori Copeland where they just drag and others
« Crystal »
Well this is the "Cleaned up Version" this was first released as Avenging Angel by Lori Copeland before she wrote Christian Romances. I have read this version and scoured the Internet to find the "Avenging Angel." I appreciated that she cleaned it up... and I still give it 5 stars because Wynn is just GREAT! I love this story and have never laughed so hard in all my life. If you ask me, the first version is the best! Cleaning it up and adding prayers really changed it for me. I would recommend t ...more
Angie Taylor
This was a delightful historical fiction romance novel. This novel takes place right after the Civil War in Missouri. It is well written with hilarious characters that are witty, charasmatic and believable. The author uses faith/little prayers for her characters to think or say to help them make decisions and it is fun to hear the characters thoughts with God in relation to the funny, serious, or worrisome things that are happening in their lives. This is the first in a series, and the first one ...more
joyce lynn
i've read one of her secular books, MANY years ago. this was my first experience w/ her Christian novels. i WILL be looking forward to the others in this series. not sure yet if i'll go after her other books and series or not, we'll see, but ...

liked the values held by the characters in this book, even some of the "saloon gals". wish we had more people than we do who still today not only "talked", but walked that talk!
Sheero
I really enjoyed this book. Wynne was so lovable and the silent hero was so dreamy! I am a sucker for fast-paced novels and this one didn't drag on. I loved the similes too...can't remember one right now but they were so charming.
I'm definitely a fan of this series...I've read "The Drifter". Looking forward to reading the other two.
Good job, Lori!
Delcie
I loved this book. It was a good reminder to keep the Lord close in all of our trials and not take matters into our own hands. Although, I don't think our lives would be as hilarious as the main character's. She is a real piece of work! Because of the excellent way it was written, you can almost see all of the physical comedy play out! It is a riot!
Nellie
Wynne is going to shoot Cass Claxton for leaving her at the alter. Her stagecoach is held up. She is rescued by Cass' older brother, cole.
I really liked this story. Clean and fun romance. Even great for a teen. I will enjoy the rest of the series.
She even has a Christian theme, but nop pushy or preachy. Just depend of God.
Miriam Coyle
I really liked this book. I couldn't put it down until it was finished, and when it was I was sad there wasn't more. A love story set in the West right after the Civil War. The first book in The Men of the Saddle Series.
Nicole
This was a sweet, simple story about a woman out for revenge and the man who won't let her go through with it. Another good read by Lori Copeland, though it does closely resemble some of her other books :)
Kristyn
Had some really funny moments at the beginning, but got a little slow in the middle, and the end was rushed. Cute, but not great.
Karen Ganley
Jun 12, 2011 Karen Ganley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christian romance lovers
Recommended to Karen by: Found it at the book store
very fun read! It is so nice to read good clean r romance! I think I had a smile on my face throughout most of the book!
Sue
Good (funny personalities) but not great (stereotypical characters) book. Will probably give Book Two a try.
April
I read this book as part of the series of 4, but was my least favorite one-still an ok read
Brigitte
I love books around this era and Copeland's writing kept me wanting to read to the end.
Caiti
Unrealistic and silly, but a fun read anyway. I did laugh a couple times. :)
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • Prairie Fire (A Town Called Hope, #2)
  • Lightning And Lace (Texas Legacy #3)
  • City Girl (Yellow Rose Trilogy #3)
  • The Anonymous Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
Lori lives in the beautiful Ozarks with her husband Lance. Lance and Lori have three sons, three daughter-in-laws, and six wonderful grandchildren, and two great-granddaughters.

Lance and Lori are very involved in their church, and active in supporting mission work in Mali, West Africa.

Lori began her writing career in 1982, writing for the secular book market. In 1995, after many years of writing,
More about Lori Copeland...
Faith  (Brides of the West #1) Hope (Brides of the West, #3) Glory (Brides of the West, #4) June (Brides of the West, #2) Ruth (Brides of the West #5)