Start by marking “The Invisible Island” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Island

The Invisible Island

4.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Illustrated by Christine Price.

"Actually it was an island! Right in the middle of the wooded acres surrounding their new home up in Connecticut! On one side was the pond, on another a wide brook, and running from that to the pond, another, narrower brook. So here the four young Guthries were, 'cast away on a desert island' which they promptly named Invisible.

Mother sent 'r
hardcover, 191 pages
Published 1948 by E.P. Dutton & Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Island, please sign up.

Siskiyou-Suzy You should browse local thrift stores. St. Vincent de Paul often has an amazing book selection. I've found so many books at thrift stores for 79 yo 99…moreYou should browse local thrift stores. St. Vincent de Paul often has an amazing book selection. I've found so many books at thrift stores for 79 yo 99 cents that are only available online for way too much money. I will try to remember this title as well as I do a ton of thrift store shopping.(less)

Lauri
Nov 29, 2010 Lauri rated it it was amazing
Magical story of some kids that moved to the country, and to their delight discovered their country playground was surrounded by water, a creek that split and went all the way around them. They had wonderful old fashioned adventures and fun. Like kids did when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. This book was published in 1948. Ive been looking for it for many years. I wanted to read it to my children when they were growing up but I could not find it. I inquired of Blacks in London years ago by mail ...more
Carol
Jan 23, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This book and Dig for a Treasure are a pair. The Merced Branch of the SF Public Library had them when I was growing up, and I read them over and over. I can still remember specific scenes (and even illustrations) from both books. I've never found them as an adult, though; they're not in many current library collections. Someday I hope to find affordable used copies . . . .
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
My co-worker lent me this masterpiece of children's literature, and now I realize what a gift that was. It's been out of print for decades, and copies just like hers are selling for upwards of $80 on eBay--when you can find them. It breaks my heart that a book this excellent should fade from consciousness forever, but that is the near-certain inevitability for this book.

It's a gentle tale of four siblings in the late '40s who move to the country and find that their new property has an island. (I
Charlie Sutton
Aug 19, 2015 Charlie Sutton rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was in 5th grade, about 1956. I enjoyed it then, and some years ago decided to hunt it up. Thanks to E-Bay, I was able to get a copy, and have read it again several times. I also learned of Marshall's other books and bought "Dig for Treasure" and read another of Marshall's books as well, via inter-library loan. I now see, from Good Reads, that the author wrote a dozen or so books, so I hope to find those also. Believable characters and interesting plots.
Beth
Jun 30, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Getting ready to read one of my most beloved childhood favorites. I hope it doesn't let me down.

Fabulous! Totally reminded me of all the fun my siblings and I had exploring when we were little. In fact, Dit, Alan, David, and Winkie are the exact distance apart that my brothers am sister and I are. I'm the oldest, so it was always my job to make up the story. We read The Swiss Family Robinson, and the Chronicles of Narnia, and biographies of explorers, and wagon train books, and all of that went
Jim Doering
Feb 01, 2014 Jim Doering rated it it was amazing
A wonderful children's book, sadly out of print for many years.
DrSolar
Jan 09, 2009 DrSolar rated it really liked it
Read in the early 60's in 3rd-5th grade timezone.
S.
S. marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Mrklingon
Mrklingon marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Liz Fetter
Liz Fetter marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Donita
Donita added it
Aug 27, 2015
Clara-Ellen
Clara-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Merry Weather
Merry Weather marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Robert Bier
Robert Bier marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Beth Kaminske
Beth Kaminske rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Rust
Rust rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Vrinda Madhuri
Vrinda Madhuri rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Patricia Chiquelin
Patricia Chiquelin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
fathimathu nahila
fathimathu nahila marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Loraine Macdonald
Loraine Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Betsy
Betsy added it
Mar 11, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
M. Meyer
M. Meyer rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Eliana
Eliana rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Echan Deravy
Echan Deravy marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013