Start by marking “The Invisible Island” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Island

Dean Marshall

The Invisible Island

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Illustrated by Christine Price.

"Actually it was an island! Right in the middle of the wooded acres surrounding their new home up in Connecticut! On one side was the pond, on another a wide brook, and running from that to the pond, another, narrower brook. So here the four young Guthries were, 'cast away on a desert island' which they promptly named Invisible.

Mother sent 'r
hardcover, 191 pages
Published 1948 by E.P. Dutton & Co.

Lauri
Magical story of some kids that moved to the country, and to their delight discovered their country playground was surrounded by water, a creek that split and went all the way around them. They had wonderful old fashioned adventures and fun. Like kids did when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. This book was published in 1948. Ive been looking for it for many years. I wanted to read it to my children when they were growing up but I could not find it. I inquired of Blacks in London years ago by mail ...more
Carol
Jan 23, 2009 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This book and Dig for a Treasure are a pair. The Merced Branch of the SF Public Library had them when I was growing up, and I read them over and over. I can still remember specific scenes (and even illustrations) from both books. I've never found them as an adult, though; they're not in many current library collections. Someday I hope to find affordable used copies . . . .
Rebecca
My co-worker lent me this masterpiece of children's literature, and now I realize what a gift that was. It's been out of print for decades, and copies just like hers are selling for upwards of $80 on eBay--when you can find them. It breaks my heart that a book this excellent should fade from consciousness forever, but that is the near-certain inevitability for this book.

It's a gentle tale of four siblings in the late '40s who move to the country and find that their new property has an island. (I
Beth
Getting ready to read one of my most beloved childhood favorites. I hope it doesn't let me down.

Fabulous! Totally reminded me of all the fun my siblings and I had exploring when we were little. In fact, Dit, Alan, David, and Winkie are the exact distance apart that my brothers am sister and I are. I'm the oldest, so it was always my job to make up the story. We read The Swiss Family Robinson, and the Chronicles of Narnia, and biographies of explorers, and wagon train books, and all of that went
Jim Doering
A wonderful children's book, sadly out of print for many years.
DrSolar
Read in the early 60's in 3rd-5th grade timezone.
Sparrow
Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Merry Weather
Merry Weather marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Robert Bier
Robert Bier marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Patricia Chiquelin
Patricia Chiquelin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
fathimathu nahila
fathimathu nahila marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Betsy
Betsy added it
Mar 11, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Echan Deravy
Echan Deravy marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Fay Harmon
Fay Harmon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Pam Tharnish
Pam Tharnish marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Lissaleo
Lissaleo marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Dig for a Treasure The Long White Month At the Hands of a Child Mel Bay Barrage, Volume 1 The Fiddle Club Collection 2 Piano/Guitar Acc