Start by marking “Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella

Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella

I reckon ye heard o' Cinderella, but lemme tell you a story 'bout a sweet li'l thing named Rose? Set in the Appalachian Mountains and told in a lilting dialect that just begs to be read aloud, this is a unique and lively adaptation of the traditional Cinderella story. Complete with an enchanting protagonist, a glass slipper, and a fairy godmother who just happens to be a h ...more
Published May 8th 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Smoky Mountain Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoky Mountain Rose

L13_F Sandra
Oct 03, 2013 L13_F Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: traditional-lit
This Cinderella story is set in the Smoky Mountains. It's the same traditional story, dad gets married to mean woman with 2 mean daughters who treat her bad and make her work except the whole story is written in the slang of the people from the Appalachians. I didn't really like this version. I didn't like the slang throughout the book. Even though this book is set during pioneer times, it made the people seem dumb and simple. I especially didn't like the fact that a talking pig was the magical ...more
Lina
Oct 10, 2016 Lina rated it it was amazing
So, this has got to be my fav retelling of Cinderella. It is so hilarious. If you haven't read it, read it now. You will totally not be disappointed. The pictures in this book are so great I could look at them all day. Not to mention the conversational way that the story is told in uses the "dialect" of Appalachia. If you could say that. Anyway I can't tell you any more 'cause I totally don't want to ruin it for you but read this!!!
Hannah McManus
Mar 14, 2017 Hannah McManus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely adorable. <3
Carmen Pagan
Nov 29, 2015 Carmen Pagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella is a variation on your classic Cinderella story told with a Western twang and twist. Rose (Cinderella) lives in the Appalachian Mountains and does chores all day for her evil stepmother and sisters. A young rich man named Seb, was looking to find himself a wife. With the help of a magical pig, Rose is able to impress the fine fellow, with her glass slippers and pretty party dress. Rose ends up marrying Seb and forgiving her evil stepmother and siste
Emily Benner
Plot summary: This book is a twist off the story Cinderella. It takes place in the heart of the Smokey Mountains. The text of the book is written with a strong sense of the type of slang language that would be spoken at that place to other people. Rose's father (Trapper) remarries to a mean woman with two ungrateful girls about the same age at Rose, maybe a little older. When Trapper dies, Rose's life gets increasingly more challenging. Then a rich man, named Seb, comes into town and invites eve ...more
Kari Martycz
Feb 16, 2015 Kari Martycz rated it liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
Alan Schroeder's version of Cinderella is about a young girl named Rose, who lives in the Smokey Mountains with her Pa. Pa wants to start courting a women who has two girls near the age of Rose. Pa marries Gertie, who is the crossest, fearsome women in the Smokey Mountains. Gertie's two daughters, Annie and Liza Jane, treat Rose like a slave, making her do all the work on the farm, and cooking, especially after her father passed away. This "rich-feller" was having a party to find a wife, and all ...more
Joshua Arvey
Title: Smoky Mountain Rose
Author: Alan Schroeder
Illustrator: Brad Sneed
Genre: Traditional Literature
Themes: Fantasy, Picture Book

Plot Summery: Smoky Mountain Rose is a twist on the classical story of Cinderella. Instead in this story the young girl and her family live in the Appalachian Mountains. The girl still has two evil stepsisters and a horrible stop mother. They make her do all of the cleaning, cooking, and taking care of the farm. Until one evening she finds glass heels and wears them to
Kristi
Nov 18, 2012 Kristi added it
Grade Level: 3-5th Grade
Lexile Level: 760L
Genre: Traditional Literature/ Fairy Tale
Setting: near the Appalachian Mountain in small village
Point of View: First Person
Main Characters: Rose, evil step mother, wicked step sisters, the magical pig, the rich boy

In the story of Smoky Mountain Rose, Rose is heart broken after her father dies. She is left to live with her father's second wife who is a mean woman, and her two awful step-sisters . Neither the step-mother nor the step-sisters care for Rose
Teri
Oct 16, 2010 Teri rated it really liked it
Schroeder has taken the classic Perrault fairy tale and recast it "smack in the heart o' the Smoky Mountains." He begins his retelling with the directive, "Now lis'en," and continues to relate the familiar events in lilting mountain dialect with plenty of homespun humor. Seb, the love interest here, is a "real rich feller?made his fortune in sowbellies and grits." Rose's transformation takes place through intervention of a kindhearted, articulate hog. The tale concludes, "To this day, Rose and S ...more
Mrs. Jones
May 21, 2013 Mrs. Jones rated it it was amazing
Howdy there I was just reading a really good book called Smokey Mountain Rose by: Alan Schroeder its western style. Do like fairytales ? Then if you do then Smokey Mountain Rose By: Alan Schroeder is the book for you. This book is funny and a happy and magical too. That’s why you should read this great book. It’s my favorite! My favorite part is when Rose is helping her step sisters get ready for the shindig this one of my favorite sentises “it was like they were worken her like they were tryin ...more
Angelina Bair
Dec 23, 2016 Angelina Bair rated it liked it
Summary:
After her father dies, Rose lives a miserable life living in rags and doing chores for her mean stepmom and two bossy stepsisters. When a rich feller from across Tarbelly Creek announces he is having a party to find a wife, Rose decides she has to go. With the help of a magic pig, she attends the party, dances with the rich feller, and loses her glass slipper. At the end of the book, he finds Rose, puts the slipper on her foot, marries her, and they grow old together.

Reaction:
Smoky Mo
JustOneMoreBook.com
Feb 12, 2009 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Fierce, phonetically written slang and softly stretched, fish-eye illustrations make this twangin' twist on the traditional tale a thrill for listeners and read-aloud hams alike -- rump-blisterin' and all!

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Other books mentioned:

Petite Rouge, A Cajun Red Riding Hood
Three Little Cajun Pigs

You can find more Appalachian children's books here.
Lauren Brant
Oct 16, 2013 Lauren Brant rated it it was ok
This version was distracting to me because of the dialect used. I felt that I spent more time focusing on how to say the words and what I sounded like versus paying attention to the story. The one thing I do really enjoy about this text are the illustrations. The point of view from which the pictures are drawn is interesting and eye-catching, because it seems to be drawn from the ground up, starting very large and getting smaller. You're immediately drawn to the bottom of the page rather than th ...more
Patricia Holland
Mar 15, 2011 Patricia Holland rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because like most girls I fell in love with the story of Cinderella at a very young age. This book may have to resort to be a read aloud for young readers because the twang dialect can be difficult to read.

Teaching Application:
I would use this book for the same idea that is portrayed on our culminating project sheet. I would use it to explore all the Cinderellas around the world. This may sound like a project that only girls would enjoy but I think that this version of the
Apr 27, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This version of Cinderella is also set in North America, but in the Appalachian area. The entire tale - including narration - is written with a southern accent, making it difficult to read silently. The book needs to be read aloud, but requires a brave reader or a little practice. The story is cute: the fairy godmother in this one is actually a hog, and the step-sisters end up liking Rose (the Cinderella character) in the end.
Mary
A Cinderella story from Appalachia with beautiful paintings and a lot of spirit. The downside of this tale is the Appalachian dialect it is written in. While this does make it more authentic, it also makes it hard to read the first time through if the reader is not familiar with the dialect. A few references to objects or activities of Appalachia may be unfamiliar to even some of the most studious children. Overall, a good book, but best suited to middle school or junior high students.
Heather B.
Smoky Mountain Rose was very enjoyable, it is a spin off of the classic French fairy tale of Cinderella, but it takes place in Appalachia. The books's style includes the appalchian dialect that may be hard to read, but I think younger readers would enjoy it if read to by an adult. I thought the tale was true to the culture and fun to read. I would recommend juvenille readers to read this book 3rd through 6th grade. Published 1997.
Celeste
I was not a fan of this version of Cinderella. I find that the language/dialect may be a challenge for children. This is a version that definetly must be read aloud to children to appreciate it. I also found that the use of name calling, such as "stupid" which is used in this version may not be very educational for children. It may give children the wrong idea in terms of using appropriate language.
Brittney Pierce
This story is interesting to say the least. The language is like a southern accent. The fairy god-mother is a pig and the evil step sisters get their ball gowns from a catalog from which the rich king owns. The ball is a square dance. She of course had to be home by midnight, but she left the glass slipper at the hoe-down. The prince eventually sees the glass slipper is from Cinderella. I didn't like the languag of this book at all. I would not read it again nor would I read it to my children.
Genie
Oct 20, 2011 Genie rated it liked it
Shelves: traditional
"Now lis'en." With its setting set in the heart of the Smoky Mountains, it's an interesting read aloud with all of the written southern lingo. This version follows the traditional plot of the fairy tale most Americans know, with a few changes to fit the setting of the south.

This fairy tale has the components of traditional fairy tale literature: hero(ine), rival, goal, helper, and magic.

I really enjoyed reading this and my students get a kick out of my attempt at a southern accent!
Ashley
Nov 10, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Sarah Allison
Aug 22, 2015 Sarah Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is one of my favorite versions of Cinderella. It was about a girl that lived in the country finding prince charming. Also the illustrations were very good and the illustrator would make you feel like you were really there. It is one of those books that makes you want to read it over and over again.
Emily Morris
Dec 17, 2013 Emily Morris rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely charming rendition of Cinderella, placing her in a classic Appalachian time with a magical hog and a square dance. The story is fun and coloquial and Brad Sneed's illustrations are delightful. Very sweet and touching Cinderella.
Michael Fitzgerald
Confused as to why the author judged it best to ignore the various American folk versions he mentions in a note and used instead the Perrault version. It just makes it seem less authentic and more expendable.
Heidi
Feb 26, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I really like this Cinderella story. The art is well done and I like the forgiveness. This version has stuck with me over the years, and that is saying something since I read a lot of my favorite fairy tale.
Brandelyn
Feb 04, 2009 Brandelyn rated it it was amazing
I've recently added this to my collection of Cinderella stories - the dialect is so thick that I have a hard time reading it out loud, but I like to reinforce to my preservice teachers that diversity doesn't just mean race...
Megan Piero
The southern dialect reads loud an clear in this alternative version of Cinderella that takes place on a rural farm. As a reader, you can hear the author's voice in every word.

As a teacher, I would use this book in a craft lesson on voice or in a fairy tale unit.
Kassie
Mar 07, 2009 Kassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a similar story to Cinderella, but it adds a couple twists and a faster story line. This book is fun beacuse the characters talk different and use words that we don't normally use in our everyday lanaguage. This is recommended for children ages 4-11.
Alison
Jun 28, 2016 Alison rated it liked it
Amy
Sep 30, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
I loved this version of Cinderella for its dialect and Appalachian twists on the story. Fun illustrations, too.
  • The Gift of the Crocodile: A Cinderella Story