Start by marking “Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle #3)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  5,403 ratings  ·  102 reviews
The incomparable Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle loves children good or bad and never scolds but has positive cures for Answer-Backers, Never-Want-to-Go-to-Bedders, and other boys and girls with strange habits. ‘[Now] in paperback . . . for a new generation of children to enjoy.’ —San Francisco Examiner Chronicle.
Published January 1st 1954 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Literature by Women
125th out of 370 books — 76 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettMatilda by Roald DahlNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
Books for nine-year-olds
235th out of 372 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynn
This past weekend, my husband and I had a major household project. For the past twenty-plus years, we'd slept on a mattress placed on a wooden platform which the previous owners of our home had constructed in our bedroom. We'd not had the inclination before to dismantle it, but when our mattress began causing my back too much pain, we decided to buy a real bed and take the platform down on Memorial Day weekend. So we did.

Part of the platform was a wooden shelf right behind the bed, where we'd pu
Emily
Oh what a broad range of reaction is to be found in a three star review. A casual observer might think that I liked the first three Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books equally. How wrong that observer would be. The first one was squarely in the middle of the spectrum. Truly, I "liked it", no more no less. The second one was a high three. I quite enjoyed reading it aloud, but as it isn't something I would ever pick up and reread to myself for pleasure, it couldn't quite make the leap across the 4-star divid ...more
Becky
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the original "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle," although my six-year-old seemed to like it well enough. What started off as a clever gimmick in the first book kind of gets old in the subsequent books. It doesn't help that MacDonald also lengthened the chapters in her subsequent books without really adding any substance -- you can tell she was just trying to stretch sparse ideas into enough material to make a book. In this one, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, the woman who knows everyth ...more
Cami
These are not a joy for parents to read.
I cringe the entire time because each child's issue to correct seems taken directly from my parenting life or from that of one of my friends. It's the same reason I hate watching those nanny shows on TV. I get no pleasure from watching other people mess up their children and why would I want to watch someone else's children behaving badly?

Anyway, my children think the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books are delightful. They also like that she never gets mad, never ye
Rainier
This book is about Mrs. Piggle Wiggle on a farm. There weren't any cures like magic potions or magic powders, but there was a fraidy-cat cure, and there was a cure for destructiveness, and there was also one for a can't find it cure. And there was also a not-truthful cure, then there was the pet-forgetter. This is all the cures in the book. My favorite cure was the destructiveness cure, it was because a boy destructed everything and then he got cured of it. He went to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's farm a ...more
Millboar
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is a nice old lady who cures the faults of almost every child in her town. It starts with the child driving his [or her] parents crazy. They then take drastic measures and send their children to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle handles any sort of fault. From fraidy-cats to liars she will get the job done.
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle uses very humane techniques to cure her “patients”. For example, if she was trying to cure a child who loves to destroy things she would make thei
Shana
I finished reading this to my second-graders this week. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. When I was a little girl, my dad had the whole series of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books at his apartment for when we came to visit him. I read them all several times. Not only does she have the best "cures" (read: sensible child-rearing skills) for disobedient children, but the names of the characters are just fantastic: the father of the little boy from the last story in the book was named Hearthrug. Imagine hol ...more
Emily
We just finished reading this aloud and near the end, it was almost too painful for me to read some of the long descriptions. The scene with the forgetful boy who never completes an errand for his mother and gets sidetracked multiple times in daydream on the foot of the stairs or lolling out the window, gawking at the neighbors' goings-on.

It was all too reminiscent of my girls staring out the bathroom window in a daze, while standing on the potty stool with little backsides drying in the breeze
Stacy Thomas
The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books are my favorite series for a slightly older childrens audience (ages 6 to 10). I say this; however, I still read them myself. I have fond memories of my mom reading these stories to me everynight: The first night we would read up until Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle was called; the second night we would read about the cure.

This particular book is not a favorite of mine from the series. I don't really remember reading the stories in it more than once. Still a good book to have; h
Janssen
I was surprised by how much my three-year-old liked these since they are fairly long chapters and complex stories.
Molly
Read with Emma: I forgot how absolutely wonderful these stories are, must buy!
Ms. Sweeney
Kids with less than desirable social traits (lying, bragging, neglecting animals) go to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle when their parents are at their wits end and can't think of what else to do with them. They are always led, through their own actions and in a humorous manner, to change their ways.
The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books are some of the few that my son requests to hear repeated reading of. He likes to compare himself to the characters and when he seems somebody acting in away that he sees as less than
Dancingchickens
I love the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books and this one was really good!!!
Rebecca
After re-reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle the first to my daughter, we really wanted more of her. This was so TERRIBLY written and so unlike the first one that I am gnashing my teeth at having picked it up and destroying the shiny facade that was Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

Granted, it is the fourth book, and not the second in the series... perhaps by the fourth she really ran out of steam and the second and third are just as lovely. Alas, I don't dare attempt them. I want only the original in my memory.

If you
Jessica
Actually my least favorite of the series. I've never read this one before, it's not in my Treasury omnibus, and the illustrations are by Maurice Sendak, which is not an improvement, frankly. I love the clever solutions that Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle always has for children's bad habits, but here the only cure seems to be . . . working on her farm. It's certainly fitting for the little girl who forgets to take care of her pets, but not as much for the others. Still, the kids were charmed and it's, well, ...more
Phoebe Baker
From childhood. Sharing grand kids
Kerstin Olcott
It turns out that I had great taste in books as a child. I am rereading all of my favorites with my kid and the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books are just as fun to read as an adult as they were when I was five. Even my three year old was enraptured with each chapter. I love all of the 50s style "naughty children" who need to learn manners. Mrs. P provides great lessons for my kids and we laughed through the whole series. These books are an absolute delight.
Miri
I love the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Books. I was disappointed that in this volume, Mr.s Piggle Wiggle had moved from her upside down house to a farm. However the cures she provides for the children are still highly entertaining to read. In this book she offers, The Not Truthful Cure, The Pet Forgetter Cure, The Destructiveness Cure, The Fraidy-Cat Cure and The Can't Find it Cure.
Misty
I read this out loud to Brontë who really loved it! I thought it was fun for a child. The author really uses creative names for her characters and interesting, but often true dilemas.

It was telling of the era in how parents treated their children. I loved Mrs Piggle Wiggle's ways of teaching and training.I hope and strive to parent with similar techniques.
Heather
These are fun since each chapter stands alone as its own story. We read these with our son before bed each night and then took a few moments to discuss the story's children and why they were sent to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. There are many good lessons to be learned from these stories, and Ms. MacDonald adds her humor through all the character names. :)
Maggie
I read this book at least two times by the time I was 7. I couldn't stop reading the end part when at first one of the kids who came to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm said, "I can't find it" when it was right in front of him. After she cured him, he could find so many things that Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle couldn't even find. It was very funny and a great book!
Tammy  King Carlton
Thank you, Christina - We are on a roll with books on CD for the truck. The three stars is really just because the narrator is not that great, and the stories take a while to kind of get going. But the second story on the CD is about a girl named Rebekah who has a hard time doing as she is told, and boy, did it get my daughter's attention.
Jen
As much as I love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and her zany cures, I felt that this book didn't have the magic of some of the other books in the series--literally and figuratively. Her "cures" became somewhat run-of-the-mill training exercises that practically anybody could do, and I really missed her crazy upside-down house.
Christina
We listened to the audio version of this on our recent road trip and, not surprisingly, everyone loved it. Betty MacDonald did a great job of maintaining the quality of her story-telling and writing over the course of many books. These could get repetitive, but instead, they always seem fresh and inventive. These are classics.
Cindi
I was hoping this would be funnier because I wanted it to keep me awake, but so far I'm liking it anyway. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle fixes kids. She does this just by letting them be themselves and reap the natural consequences of their actions in a kindly way. Oh, how I wish I could do a better job of this!
Elysia
I thought it was a good book because it showed all the cures that are just funny cures. They also are just cures if you are a rude kid or the fighter quarrelers cure. These two twins are both fighting and then Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle gives them a cure that makes them not fight. That's why I like the book.
Erin Marsh
Loved all Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle tales. The Thought You Saiders cure and the Radish Cure are my favorites. I'
ve even tried the Won't Go To Bed Cure on my kids--Mrs. PW is a better woman than I!
Arwen
I love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and want to be like her. This book really focused on letting natural consequences and circumstances grow children out of their bad habits. Where the parents alternately coddle and then yell Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle shows some common sense.
Susann
My least favorite of the series. These stories are not as sparkly and are stretched pretty thin. Plus, much as I adore Maurice Sendak, there is only one correct illustrator for Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

But I always like a good farm setting.

Last read: 7-6-06
Sharon
Finished listening to it in the car with the boys. We already heard Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic. I did like both books, but I liked Magic better. The kids loved both of course. I think it's easier for them to enjoy too since they're broken down into several stories.
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #3)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • The Boxcar Children 5-8 (The Boxcar Children, #5-8)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
The first book written by Betty MacDonald, The Egg and I , rocketed to the top of the national bestseller list in 1945. Translations followed in more than 30 languages, along with a series of popular movies. In the wake of World War II, the hilarious accounts of MacDonald's adventures as a backwoods farmer's wife in Chimacum Valley were a breath of fresh air for readers around the world. On the ne ...more
More about Betty MacDonald...
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic The Egg and I Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Box Set