Start by marking “Run Man Run” as Want to Read:
Run Man Run

Run Man Run

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A white undercover cop vents his rage and starts a cycle of violence from which there is no escape. Walker, one of New York's embittered policemen, is vicious when drunk. Staggering into a restaurant on a freezing day, he kills two black workers "because they were there," and pursues a third who witnessed the murders in one of the most suspenseful chases ever put on paper.
Published May 31st 1995 by Carroll & Graf (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Run Man Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Man Run

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Long Goodbye by Raymond ChandlerFarewell, My Lovely by Raymond ChandlerThe Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain
Best Hardboiled PI & Noir
195th out of 499 books — 590 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
331st out of 372 books — 361 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
I went on a quest for some Chester Himes not to long ago, hearing that he was an influence on Joe Lansdale. This was the first of his books I stumbled upon. The blurb on the cover says "Lush sex and stark violence, colored Black and served up raw by a great Negro writer." How could I not buy it?

A drunken cop, Matt Walker, is stumbling around Harlem and can't find his car. He wanders into an automat where three black men are working as porters. He immediately accuses them of stealing his car. Whi
Harold
I need one of these from time to time. Just a quick shot of fiction that reads like a good action movie. Good professional writing, in this case from Chester Himes. Well drawn characters in the New York City of the 1960s. Himes knows the geography, sociology and the pshycology and, as it turns out, this book is still relevant to todays world. I wish I could find the cover of the edition I read this from: a 1969 Dell paperback.
Terence
Jul 17, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Himes fans, noir fans
Recommended to Terence by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: mysteries-noir
I don't have much to say about Run, Man, Run. It's quality Himes. The most fascinating part of the novel is Himes' chilling depiction of the sociopathic detective Matt Walker, whose drunken rage and murders of two black men drive the story. Whether he's seducing and abusing women, murdering witnesses, or justifying himself, Walker is eerily compelling - Himes nails the sociopath's charisma and personality.
Tarene Fung
Upon being assigned this book for my Texts & Contexts class, I was really hesitant about how I would receive it judging on the previous books we were obligated to read. However, I was surprised that I actually thoroughly enjoyed the dark, haunting, and invigoratingly sensual suspense that Chester Himes entwines into each sentence on every page. I've never been one to go for a "thriller" novel ( I've been so brainwashed to think that only movies can achieve that feeling), but this book was re ...more
Andy
Chris Rock once remarked that if there was anything scarier than terrorists it was crazy white guys, but he could have been referring to the crazy white cop in this book.

“Run Man Run” is a brilliant noir novel about a Christmastime drunken white cop who goes berserk in a night owl luncheonette killing two out of three black porters and relentlessly stalking the third porter through the streets of Harlem and Manhattan. Himes makes the streets of New York read like an insane carnival of light and
Ffiamma
un doppio omicidio brutale e insensato, un testimone inconsapevole, un poliziotto folle e razzista e una caccia all'uomo a harlem ma non solo. tra locali equivoci, botteghe di barbieri, bar e case- un altro piccolo affresco di new york. e stavolta, a differenza di "cieco con la pistola" c'è una storia serrata e costruita benissimo. ottimo libro di genere.
Curt Lorde
A tale that is so scary real- those oops shootings of Amadou Diallo and the guy in Oakland by a BART gunslinger come to mind. You'll wonder 'How many so-called justifiable homicides were straight out murders?' Power, racism, fear blend into this story that unfortunately has too much basis in fact.
Hugo
Muy buena historia, un policía blanco borracho que encuentra algo con que divertirse, unos hombres negros que van a entrar a trabajar. Los encañona y los amenaza, y debido a la situación y su borrachera se le dispara el arma. El dibujo es bueno a secas, es en blanco y negro.
Leeann
This was my introduction to Chester Himes in 1997 thanks to a contemporary lit class. Run Man Run is what so many other books of the genre wish they could be.
Allison Hobbs
Just discovering this African Ameican writer born in 1909 and I love his style
Logan Miller
I'm not entirely certain a better crime novel exists.
Lat
Lat added it
Aug 03, 2015
Gemma
Gemma added it
Jul 27, 2015
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Alberto
Alberto marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Minh
Minh is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Bribro
Bribro marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kyle Burnett
Kyle Burnett marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • The Shutter of Snow
  • Le irregolari: Buenos Aires Horror Tour
  • The Bride Wore Black
4392029
Chester Bomar Himes began writing in the early 1930s while serving a prison sentence for armed robbery. From there, he produced short stories for periodicals such as Esquire and Abbott's Monthly. When released, he focussed on semi-autobiographical protest novels.

In 1953, Himes emigrated to France, where he was approached by Marcel Duhamel of Gallimard to write a detective series for Série Noire,
More about Chester Himes...
A Rage in Harlem If He Hollers Let Him Go Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7) The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2) Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)