Start by marking “Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus” as Want to Read:
Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

Illus. in full color. The 15th century comes alive in this splendidly original picture book about Christopher Columbus. "The illustrations, executed in a variety of media, show scenes from the explorer's life as well as some imaginary creatures that populated the Europeans' picture of the outside world at that time. The details on each page invite individual readers to pay ...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Dream

midnightfaerie
Oct 12, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 5 yr old loved it. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. This one won the New York Times Bests illustrated children's book award, and you can tell. The pictures are beautiful and unique. This was recommended as an additional read to my son's history lesson on Columbus. He and I both enjoyed it, and it helped solidify the basic information we had already learned in his lesson. A ...more
Karen
Jun 16, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Mom rates 4 stars, kids 3 stars. Illustrations are great. Simple story with most of the important facts to keep this as a short kids book. It was fun to talk about all the other things we knew about Columbus from our studies in CC.
Stephanie Watson
May 26, 2017 Stephanie Watson rated it liked it
This book captures the perseverance of Christopher Columbus, but the sparse text does not provide much detail about his story. The illustrations are fascinating from a historical perspective, but probably not as entertaining to young children.
Barbara
Fans of this author/illustrator know that his illustrations--in this case, created with oil, ink, watercolor, and gouache--are always detailed and evoke the time and place about which he is writing. In this case, he pays tribute to Christopher Columbus and his many attempts to find a shortcut to the Orient. After briefly covering his formative years, Sis turns to Columbus's determination to sail west. His determination didn't flag even after his would-be benefactors refused to finance his voyage ...more
Ryan
Apr 21, 2016 Ryan rated it really liked it
This was a story about the journey of Christopher Colombus. It detailed his travels to what he thought was the Orient and documented his struggles with the royalty he needed the support from to embark on his expedition. The story followed his trip across the Atlantic and was full of facts and explained the importance of his impact on orienteering and the fact that even though he was looking for the Orient, he found America.

The artwork in this book was absolutely beautiful. There were maps and su
Charity
Feb 27, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Although not very detailed (or nuanced), this was a good introduction to the voyages of Columbus. The story was brief and well written, and the illustrations were delightful. My 3.5yo especially liked that the ships were "so tiny he could hardly see them" on the pages representing how large the ocean was compared to the size of Columbus's three ships. I hadn't known until I read this book that Columbus was meant to be a weaver. Nice story about the value of perseverance (even if it does involve ...more
Erin Walker
Jul 12, 2012 Erin Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl-520
Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus (1991) -Biography

This simple biography follows Columbus from childhood through his voyage to the Americas. It highlights the struggles he faced in getting approval for the voyage as well as difficulties on the journey. It is beautifully illustrated so it would draw in even very young children.

Themes: Exploration, Overcoming Obstacles, Gaining Approval

Teaching Options: This book would be great to introduce young children to Christopher Columbus.
Matthew
This is an extremely simplistic biography of Columbus up to and suddenly concluding with his arrival in what he believed to be the Orient and the mention that he didn't know where he was. It does nothing to mention the subsequent back and forth journies he made between this new land and his patronage Spain. It doesn't mention what he did in this new land. It focuses instead on his perseverance with trying to charter a commission of ships from the king and queen of Spain. It's a well written prim ...more
Diane Rhodes
Jun 29, 2014 Diane Rhodes rated it really liked it
I believe that the book, Follow the Dream, by Peter Sis could be a stand in for the typical graduation gift book, Oh the Places You Will Go. This story describes how Christopher Columbus moved beyond what his expected life's work would be to the explorer that he became by following his dream and not being completely discouraged every time he received No as an answer to his quest. This is a juvenile biography which can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. You may have seen drawings of the Santa Mar ...more
Kathryn Reeder
Mar 24, 2015 Kathryn Reeder rated it it was amazing
Lana Clifton
Help students explore the journey of a lost sailor with this picture book that introduces young Christopher as a boy who dreams of distant lands. The story integrates fact with myth. In reading this book to students, I ask the listener to consider the definition of the word "discovery" when learning about Columbus's journey. What about the people who were already there? What of the other lost sailors who came before? Perfect for critical literacy in 2nd-5th grade classrooms.
Rachel
I think this a great book for early middle school to introduce the christopher columbus topic. This book is a fun, interesting way to share the story of christopher columbus and provides pictures to make it more interesting. This is definitely a good book for teachers to know about when teaching this subject.
Shelli
Jan 05, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
A nice introductory book about Christopher Columbus and the struggles he endured to fulfill his dreams of exploration. Follow the Dream is written with an easy to follow narrative and detailed illustrations that readers will enjoy getting lost in. I really liked learning about Columbus’s fears of a mutinous crew and his false doctoring of distance traveled to calm the anxious ship hands.
Whole And
Peter Sis graces readers with a historical look at Christopher Columbus's journey that is powerfully memorable. Simple text, gorgeous and informative illustrations and an ultimate story of determination.

Highly recommend "Follow the Dream" as part of historical learning and cultivating a sense of holding on to dreams even when we are originally told not to.

Sarah Gayman
demonstrates the European pov in the 'discovery' of America. I paired this with Encounter when reading it aloud with my students. This offered a chance to discuss the different perspectives of a historical event.
Monica
Jun 27, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books, kids
A nice easy read about Christopher Columbus and his dream for his voyage to the new world.

Peter Sis chronicles the steps that Christopher did to finally be able to make his voyage. Christopher was denied for years to be able to make the voyage.
Katie
Oct 11, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
The illustrations were AMAZING! I loved them, and I think 6 year old did as well. The material was well-written, not fantastic, but was a nice accompaniment to the illustrations. Not too advanced for the age, but I think 2nd graders would enjoy it still.
MH
Sep 30, 2010 MH rated it it was amazing
My favorite read-aloud book for Columbus Day for Kindergarten-1st grade. Many different openings for discussion with children (persistence in achieving his dream, journals/logs, weather, traveling during Columbus'life, maps, geography)
Eva
Oct 11, 2009 Eva rated it liked it
Good book for introduction about Christopher Columbus. Depicts Columbus as a hero only. Could use in conjunction with a book depicting Columbus with a different perspective. Love the details in the illustrations. Very kid friendly.
Mattathias Westwood
Peter Sis is fond of explorers, and his dreamlike illustrating style works quite well in this short biography of Christopher Columbus. The text is very spare, and sometimes further details would be useful. The illustrations are mesmerizing and filled with intricate metaphors.
Brooke
Feb 11, 2016 Brooke rated it really liked it
Short, great pics, not a ton of info. Good for younger kids.
Dee
Jan 18, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing
Sis on Columbus.
Michael Fitzgerald
Great pictures, as expected from Sis, but not so informative. One definitely needs another book to provide any kind of detailed story of Columbus.
Andrea Labonte
Shelves: childrens-lit
Informational/Nonfiction
Amy
Jan 20, 2009 Amy marked it as to-read
The story of Columbus, and how he followed his dream to the very end.
Curriculum
Sep 29, 2008 Curriculum rated it liked it
Christopher Columbus fulfills his dream by sailing to the West and finding a new new route to the orient.
Holly
This would be a great book to read right before Encounter by Jane Yolen. This gives CC's perspective, and Encounter gives the Taino's perspective.
Kari Huddleston
Mar 29, 2014 Kari Huddleston rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-09-biography
Loved the illustration but the story itself seemed to little. There is more thanthat when it comes to christopher columbus and his epic voyage.
Maggie
May 05, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
history book for children -- beautifully illustrated and context of christopher columbus' efforts filling out the details of our usual skinny understanding of this historical event. well done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • Encounter
  • The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark
  • How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story
  • The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)
  • Stand Tall, Abe Lincoln
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Columbus
PETER SÍS is an internationally acclaimed illustrator, filmmaker, painter and author. Born in 1949 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and grew up in Prague. He studied painting and filmmaking at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. His animated work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art. He came to America in 1982, and now lives in New York’s Hud ...more
More about Peter Sís...