Start by marking “Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus” as Want to Read:
Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Illus. in full color. The 15th century comes alive in this splendidly original picture book about Christopher Columbus. "The illustrations, executed in a variety of media, show scenes from the explorer's life as well as some imaginary creatures that populated the Europeans' picture of the outside world at that time. The details on each page invite individual readers to pay ...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Dream

midnightfaerie
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 5 yr old loved it. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. This one won the New York Times Bests illustrated children's book award, and you can tell. The pictures are beautiful and unique. This was recommended as an additional read to my son's history lesson on Columbus. He and I both enjoyed it, and it helped solidify the basic information we had already learned in his lesson. A ...more
Karen
Mom rates 4 stars, kids 3 stars. Illustrations are great. Simple story with most of the important facts to keep this as a short kids book. It was fun to talk about all the other things we knew about Columbus from our studies in CC.
Barbara
Fans of this author/illustrator know that his illustrations--in this case, created with oil, ink, watercolor, and gouache--are always detailed and evoke the time and place about which he is writing. In this case, he pays tribute to Christopher Columbus and his many attempts to find a shortcut to the Orient. After briefly covering his formative years, Sis turns to Columbus's determination to sail west. His determination didn't flag even after his would-be benefactors refused to finance his voyage ...more
Diane Rhodes
I believe that the book, Follow the Dream, by Peter Sis could be a stand in for the typical graduation gift book, Oh the Places You Will Go. This story describes how Christopher Columbus moved beyond what his expected life's work would be to the explorer that he became by following his dream and not being completely discouraged every time he received No as an answer to his quest. This is a juvenile biography which can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. You may have seen drawings of the Santa Mar ...more
Kathryn Reeder
Whole And
Peter Sis graces readers with a historical look at Christopher Columbus's journey that is powerfully memorable. Simple text, gorgeous and informative illustrations and an ultimate story of determination.

Highly recommend "Follow the Dream" as part of historical learning and cultivating a sense of holding on to dreams even when we are originally told not to.

Charity
Although not very detailed (or nuanced), this was a good introduction to the voyages of Columbus. The story was brief and well written, and the illustrations were delightful. My 3.5yo especially liked that the ships were "so tiny he could hardly see them" on the pages representing how large the ocean was compared to the size of Columbus's three ships. I hadn't known until I read this book that Columbus was meant to be a weaver. Nice story about the value of perseverance (even if it does involve ...more
Matthew
This is an extremely simplistic biography of Columbus up to and suddenly concluding with his arrival in what he believed to be the Orient and the mention that he didn't know where he was. It does nothing to mention the subsequent back and forth journies he made between this new land and his patronage Spain. It doesn't mention what he did in this new land. It focuses instead on his perseverance with trying to charter a commission of ships from the king and queen of Spain. It's a well written prim ...more
Erin Walker
Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus (1991) -Biography

This simple biography follows Columbus from childhood through his voyage to the Americas. It highlights the struggles he faced in getting approval for the voyage as well as difficulties on the journey. It is beautifully illustrated so it would draw in even very young children.

Themes: Exploration, Overcoming Obstacles, Gaining Approval

Teaching Options: This book would be great to introduce young children to Christopher Columbus.
Kari Huddleston
Loved the illustration but the story itself seemed to little. There is more thanthat when it comes to christopher columbus and his epic voyage.
Robynn
Enjoy the way Sis enhanced the story by all of the little tidbits he put into the illustrations.
Shelli
A nice introductory book about Christopher Columbus and the struggles he endured to fulfill his dreams of exploration. Follow the Dream is written with an easy to follow narrative and detailed illustrations that readers will enjoy getting lost in. I really liked learning about Columbus’s fears of a mutinous crew and his false doctoring of distance traveled to calm the anxious ship hands.
Heather
I love anything by Peter Sis, such extraordinary illustrations
Sandy Taylor
Charming illustrations!
Lana Clifton
Help students explore the journey of a lost sailor with this picture book that introduces young Christopher as a boy who dreams of distant lands. The story integrates fact with myth. In reading this book to students, I ask the listener to consider the definition of the word "discovery" when learning about Columbus's journey. What about the people who were already there? What of the other lost sailors who came before? Perfect for critical literacy in 2nd-5th grade classrooms.
Rachel
I think this a great book for early middle school to introduce the christopher columbus topic. This book is a fun, interesting way to share the story of christopher columbus and provides pictures to make it more interesting. This is definitely a good book for teachers to know about when teaching this subject.
Katie
The illustrations were AMAZING! I loved them, and I think 6 year old did as well. The material was well-written, not fantastic, but was a nice accompaniment to the illustrations. Not too advanced for the age, but I think 2nd graders would enjoy it still.
Monica
A nice easy read about Christopher Columbus and his dream for his voyage to the new world.

Peter Sis chronicles the steps that Christopher did to finally be able to make his voyage. Christopher was denied for years to be able to make the voyage.
Eva
Good book for introduction about Christopher Columbus. Depicts Columbus as a hero only. Could use in conjunction with a book depicting Columbus with a different perspective. Love the details in the illustrations. Very kid friendly.
MH
My favorite read-aloud book for Columbus Day for Kindergarten-1st grade. Many different openings for discussion with children (persistence in achieving his dream, journals/logs, weather, traveling during Columbus'life, maps, geography)
Prw41894
I liked how this book went into the adventures of Christopher Columbus. There were great pictures that invite the readers to understand the travels in a clearer way especially for children.
Maggie
history book for children -- beautifully illustrated and context of christopher columbus' efforts filling out the details of our usual skinny understanding of this historical event. well done.
Jean-Marie
This is a simple picture book outlining the story of Christopher Columbus following his dream to find a west sea route to the Orient. Very good story for the early readers.
Holly
This would be a great book to read right before Encounter by Jane Yolen. This gives CC's perspective, and Encounter gives the Taino's perspective.
Jessica
Picture book on Christopher Columbus's voyage and what started his exploration. Would be good to use as a short read-aloud.
Julie Suzanne
Nonfiction, straightforward, illustrated brief history of Columbus's determination to reach his goal. Persistence.
Curriculum
Christopher Columbus fulfills his dream by sailing to the West and finding a new new route to the orient.
Heather
Christopher Columbus fulfills his dreams of sailing to the West and finding a new route to the orient.
Vincent
Mom keeps trying to read me Peter Sis books, but I'm not ready for this one yet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
PETER SÍS is an internationally acclaimed illustrator, filmmaker, painter and author. Born in 1949 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and grew up in Prague. He studied painting and filmmaking at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. His animated work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art. He came to America in 1982, and now lives in New York’s Hud ...more
More about Peter Sís...
The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain The Conference of the Birds Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei Madlenka Tibet: Through the Red Box